Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 06:13:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: S3+ Bitmain Miner Power Arrangement  (Read 5349 times)
firewire2013 (OP)

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:33:06 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2014, 12:09:04 PM by firewire2013

Hello

So I have 4 x S3 miners coming next week and I’m just about to buy the power supplies. I was thinking two Corsair HX850 (850Watts), only snag is they have 6xPCI-E 6 connecters and the miners take four each. Would like to over clock them abit and concerned the wire will heat up to much.
http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/psus/hx-series

I know they can run on 2, I’m wondering if I could connect three to each miner or will it only work in arrangements of 2 or 4?

Looked at this guide which is great but isnt that detailed.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=702653.0

Cheers  Grin

BTC: 1BbJmzqcxnJEc3gPcBFbjoUnRB9WGHZ3Cf
y_boonstra

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 02:41:15 PM

Hello

So I have 4 x S3 miners coming next week and I’m just about to buy the power supplies. I was thinking two Corsair HX850 (850Watts), only snag is they have 6xPCI-E 6 connecters and the miners take four each. Would like to over clock them abit and concerned the wire will heat up to much.

I know they can run on 2, I’m wondering if I could connect three to each miner or will it only work in arrangements of 2 or 4?

Cheers  Grin

Its better to buy an server PSU wich is more efficient more reliable and much easier to exchange when the break down. All you need is a server PSU + a breakout board.

I have got an IBM DSP2000 PSU wich can go to 2500W or 200A on the 12V rail.. no PC-PSU can beat that (bought it for $ 45)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 03:05:41 PM

Personally I have been using the RM1000.  No problem powering two.   Its also a very efficient PSU.   

My biggest thing is i prefer to go gold on power supplies even though it is higher then if you go with a bronze something else.
firewire2013 (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 05:51:10 PM

Hello

Cheers  Grin

Its better to buy an server PSU wich is more efficient more reliable and much easier to exchange when the break down. All you need is a server PSU + a breakout board.

I have got an IBM DSP2000 PSU wich can go to 2500W or 200A on the 12V rail.. no PC-PSU can beat that (bought it for $ 45)

Interesting, are the server PSU's even better than the 80 Gold Rated ATX PSU's. I have seen on youtube some guy tested a crappy PSU against a Corsair and the difference in power usage at the wall was 120watts! The crappy one was pulling 470watts and the Corsair was pulling 350watts thats alot if your farming.
Do you have any brands of server PSU and breaker boards...im in the UK.

daddyfatsax

Activity: 857

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 06:01:44 PM

Check sidehack's group buy out. I have 6 of his PSU's pushing 11 of my S3's, with 1 PSU for 2 miners. They have been working perfectly for a while. These things are loud, but they are the best PSU's for the money.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=503423.0
firewire2013 (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2014, 09:11:00 PM

No sure I like the idea of using server PSU's.... noisy and I doubt they are very efficient, but hey thanks for the input. Im going to buy ATX PSU's Gold or Plat rated.

I found this video on you tube and this guy has them cross connected each PSU powering 1.5 miners. I didnt know this was possible for the S3+, would someone please confirm its safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30-_MVvzgVI

So if I got the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 this has, 6x 8pins on the rear so I could power 1.5 miners?

#notafeckingclue  Huh

ferncreekminer

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 12:47:11 AM

No sure I like the idea of using server PSU's.... noisy and I doubt they are very efficient, but hey thanks for the input. Im going to buy ATX PSU's Gold or Plat rated.

I found this video on you tube and this guy has them cross connected each PSU powering 1.5 miners. I didnt know this was possible for the S3+, would someone please confirm its safe.

So if I got the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 this has, 6x 8pins on the rear so I could power 1.5 miners?

http://hardzone.es/app/uploads/2014/03/EVGA-Supernova-G2.jpg

#notafeckingclue  Huh
I have 5 EVGA G2 850W units powering 10 S3/S3+ no problems; no need to use paperclip to short the pin on the motherboard connector either - the PSUs come with a adapter that will short the pins. You only need to use 2 PCIE power cables per S3 - no need to use 4 per miner.

Also using EVGA G2 750W units to power AM Prisma (2 per Prisma)

If you happen to be in USA; Amazon has the best prices on the EVGA G2s and their MiR will cover up to 2 PSUs.

I have used the Dell 750W Server PSUs w/ breakbout boards; they get pretty hot; even with the fan turned up.  I sold 2 of tyhem on eBay - kept 2 for spares; so I could setup miners in my office before they go to mining room in basement.

pak13

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 01:49:56 AM

searching these forums, you'll find the ratings of many power supplies so you won't need to speculate as to how efficient or noisy they are. Failing that, google it.
firewire2013 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:24:25 AM

searching these forums, you'll find the ratings of many power supplies so you won't need to speculate as to how efficient or noisy they are. Failing that, google it.
Great advise there mate, dont give up your day job!  Roll Eyes

firewire2013 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:32:03 AM
Last edit: October 24, 2014, 04:53:22 PM by firewire2013

I have 5 EVGA G2 850W units powering 10 S3/S3+ no problems; no need to use paperclip to short the pin on the motherboard connector either - the PSUs come with a adapter that will short the pins. You only need to use 2 PCIE power cables per S3 - no need to use 4 per miner.

Also using EVGA G2 750W units to power AM Prisma (2 per Prisma)

If you happen to be in USA; Amazon has the best prices on the EVGA G2s and their MiR will cover up to 2 PSUs.

I have used the Dell 750W Server PSUs w/ breakbout boards; they get pretty hot; even with the fan turned up.  I sold 2 of tyhem on eBay - kept 2 for spares; so I could setup miners in my office before they go to mining room in basement.

Have you overclocked them? I thought if you ran them with just two cables they would burn up?

y_boonstra

Activity: 374

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 06:16:57 AM

#notafeckingclue  Huh

Most of the times server PSU's are more efficient that ordinary pc-psu and a lot more robuste and tollerant. they are designed to run 24/7 near 100% load. dont trust your feeling base your decission on facts and look it up in this forum.
psjw4450

Activity: 342

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 02:44:19 PM

I have been running 2 of my s3 with 1000 watts server psu with no issues.  Another plus is that there is less wires and they are cheaper then a regular psu. 
Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 03:59:26 PM

You only need to use 2 PCIE power cables per S3 - no need to use 4 per miner.
Really?..  Undecided

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
firewire2013 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2014, 05:32:16 PM

So this should easy run 4 miners?

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 12:21:03 AM

Really?..  Undecided

Yes.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 12:57:35 AM

Really?..  Undecided

Very true.  If OC then suggested 4.  But 2 cords can easily do the 220 or so watts each.  Just have to make sure to plug one into each blade. 
tripppn

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2014, 01:23:26 AM

If he OCs the S3+s with 2 on an 850w wouldn't he be pushing the PSUs to the limit?  I would get at least a couple 1kW PSUs if I were you.  You'll get better efficiency from the PSUs that way.

“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.”
― Frank Zappa
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 01:41:37 AM

You could run on 3, but the load won't balanced across the 2 cards - one card will only have 1 cable powering it and that cable will have the highest risk of melting.

You could buy PCI-e splitters and run 3x PCI-e cables (2 + 1-into-2) per S3 miner. That way you can balance out the odd cable across the 2 cards.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 01:45:35 AM

Hello

Cheers  Grin

Interesting, are the server PSU's even better than the 80 Gold Rated ATX PSU's. I have seen on youtube some guy tested a crappy PSU against a Corsair and the difference in power usage at the wall was 120watts! The crappy one was pulling 470watts and the Corsair was pulling 350watts thats alot if your farming.
Do you have any brands of server PSU and breaker boards...im in the UK.

god no. ATX Gold is way better than a lot of server PSUs, particularly the Corsair series. I own an HX850 in my GPU rig and it holds its own. Quiet and power efficient. I have no concerns about it being 90%+. Most server supplies ive seen though are extremely loud, the custom cabling can be an issue to solder or source parts, and often the best deals are on used/refurb units that may not stand up to standards after the original usage.

That said, server supplies are good if you want to save some money (which IMO quality PSUs have resale value and work better/longer than server gear) or where PSU space is an issue and high-density gear is an issue. But for the home miner with a pair of S3+ miners, the HX850 with 6 cords spread between the 8 slots (4 would do, but why not all 6 Smiley ) is sufficient for stock speeds, but you wont be able to overclock, as anything over 390W/miner (about 480GH/each) will start pushing the PSU near limits and lose 2-3% efficiency. To overclock you should use an HX1050 or better

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 25, 2014, 01:48:13 AM

You could run on 3, but the load won't balanced across the 2 cards - one card will only have 1 cable powering it and that cable will have the highest risk of melting.

You could buy PCI-e splitters and run 3x PCI-e cables (2 + 1-into-2) per S3 miner. That way you can balance out the odd cable across the 2 cards.

just throwing this in: I sell spliters perfect for this (see link in my signature) Its a 1->2 Y-shaped PCIe cable made with quality 18awg, 6" per arm (12" total length when spread). Can easily handle 140W/arm, more than enough for the S3+

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: