Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:50:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paypal screw up again [Bitcoin wins]  (Read 4572 times)
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 03:36:55 PM

Example:Buy PS4 through PayPal, play with console for 170 or so days(may be less), file dispute, get money back. Profit.

But what is most likely to happen. Buy bitcoins through PayPal, wait 170 or so days and file dispute, get money back.

The market will find an equilibrium point even in this case. No need to worry for this, the market has been doing it for ages.

Just so you know, I have had 3 separate people try to burn me when I was selling peercoin and feathercoins a year back. They filed a dispute and luckily ebay took my blockchain proof and let me keep my money. But initially for the first 30 days of this ebay took my money and held it hostage. Thank goodness for me keeping all email correspondence between the person and I. The emails showed they asked me to send to "X" address and I told them I would send it from my "Y" address and asked them if that was ok. Once I got them to say yes it is ok and I asked them again to verify their address only then did I send after I was paid. Then 40 days later charge backs hit for these people(within the same week).

So I was out 900+ bucks across 3 disputes for a 30 day period. This is not fun at all, especially since I was pretty sure I was going to get screwed. Blockchain for feathercoin and peercoin was the only thing that saved me and luckily i made them confirm multiple times for undeniable proof.

Extending it out by half a year gives these scammers more of an opportunity to scam you because now you gotta dig through everything and ebay takes your funds back and blah... My dad also gets the occasional scam by people using the "buyers protection" and he has like 500 feedback @ 99.5% positive and the only negative two were from some guy who thought he bought something new but it said used and he was an idiot. My dad has gotten scammed by people saying they didn't get shipments of items and stuff and it seriously is a joke. people hack other people's accounts and screw around.
master-P

Activity: 868
Merit: 1001

https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2014, 04:18:47 PM

Buyer protection? More like scammer protection.

Master-P's Free Escrow Service | 1% Fee for Multi-Party/Sig Campaigns | I Sign ALL of my addresses using PGP Key: https://keybase.io/masterp Verify
Tipping Address: 14PUWBwK854GLenxSa7MAuxXQUXK4DKKi5 | E-mail: masterp.bitcointalk {at} gmail {dot} com (for when/if the forum's offline)
Guide on How to Sign a Message
MF Doom

Activity: 560

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 05:08:23 PM

Buyer protection? More like scammer protection.

If you read through their "policies" its easy to scam if you carefully work around them.  Its happened to me before and was NOT fun.  They definitely need to work on their case review process and use some common sense sometimes.
robbyd86

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 06:04:30 PM

Paypal is the worst, I hope 5 yrs from now everyone is using btc as much as they are using paypal now.
El Emperador

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 06:27:36 PM

Anyway, always remember that "Paypal Sucks"  Grin
http://www.paypalsucks.com/

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
promojo

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 06:29:59 PM

Let`s be real here.... If we are making purchases (especially large ones) - there should be buyer protection.    I don`t think Bitcoin is winning in this case...  IMHO.
RappelzReborn (OP)

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 06:43:18 PM

Let`s be real here.... If we are making purchases (especially large ones) - there should be buyer protection.    I don`t think Bitcoin is winning in this case...  IMHO.

Why not ? you can simply use Escrow in Bitcoin.
in Paypal even using  Middleman won't help lol ... it's 180 freaking days man, It may protect the buyer very well but the seller is screwed up totally  Shocked

promojo

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 06:53:28 PM

in Paypal even using  Middleman won't help lol ... it's 180 freaking days man, It may protect the buyer very well but the seller is screwed up totally  Shocked

True....   What escrow services are available to the average joe with ease of use right now?

MF Doom

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 06:54:01 PM

What are some transparent, reputable escrow companies?  I know there are "trusted" individuals on here, but really how does that translate to mass usability?
RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 07:08:30 PM

What are some transparent, reputable escrow companies?  I know there are "trusted" individuals on here, but really how does that translate to mass usability?

I don't know any (but maybe they will be) , I'am speaking about trustable members .
Still... Bitcoin is a couple of minuts transaction . once you send the money it's done, no 180 days for being/becoming ultimate paranoid  . you don't sleep afraid at night Wink and that's just my opinion

2double0
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 07:34:04 PM

ROFL! these fucking motherfuckers.

man, one day i hope we dont need them anymore.

Explain, please. As a buyer I want to be protected by ability to get the money back if I'm not satisfied with the quality of a purchase. Your post looks illogical to me.

I occasionally sell on ebay and this pisses me off. ESP. if I am selling intangible good such as giftcodes. That means I will have 180 days to panic about losing my income from intangible sold goods.
promojo

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 07:46:38 PM

I do understand the concerns from a seller perspective.   They are there to make money and sell product.  Not take something back up to 180 days later.   I dunno...  Maybe they are trying to get an edge for the consumer instead of the seller here.
MF Doom

View Profile
October 28, 2014, 07:49:25 PM

Explain, please. As a buyer I want to be protected by ability to get the money back if I'm not satisfied with the quality of a purchase. Your post looks illogical to me.

I occasionally sell on ebay and this pisses me off. ESP. if I am selling intangible good such as giftcodes. That means I will have 180 days to panic about losing my income from intangible sold goods.

The thing that sucks about ebay and paypal is they dont investigate claims very well.  They look to their policies, and whoever is "right" accordign to their policies wins.  They don't actually investigate and make logical decisions.
mullerdan

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 12:31:28 PM

Paypal is a joke !
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 12:36:30 PM

I thought 45 days period was longer than necessary. Now it stretched to 180 days?

So let me understand this:
I can buy whatever I want, use it for 5 months and can return it to get my money back?

Right...  now it makes sense to buy through PayPal, but NOT SELL.
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 30, 2014, 03:44:43 PM

They are doing it because of pressure from Visa and Mastercard. The standard time for filing a chargeback on a credit card account is 180 days from the date of the statement the charge appeared on. Since PayPal accepts credit cards, and is one of the largest credit card processors in the world they had to come in line with standard industry chargeback standards.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
ANTIcentralized

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 06:01:59 AM

The thing that sucks about ebay and paypal is they dont investigate claims very well.  They look to their policies, and whoever is "right" accordign to their policies wins.  They don't actually investigate and make logical decisions.
Well their policies are known to both the buyer and the seller ahead of time, so they can take a set of facts and reasonably conclude which party will be sided with.

Also this way takes away the judgment of low level employees. If you take away these policies then you have the potential for employees making an incorrect conclusion or two different employees making two different conclusions based on the same facts - this would increase the number of scams because it would increase the chance a scammer would succeed
rrock

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2014, 06:10:34 AM

paypal is not perfect enough, but so does BTC exchange.
RappelzReborn (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2014, 12:15:27 PM

paypal is not perfect enough, but so does BTC exchange.

How is that ? for BTC . You should simply use a trusted Escrow and you are fine  Tongue

moko666

Activity: 635

BlasterKVs the king of xbox modding

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2014, 07:08:54 PM

bitcoin is a winner and will forever against paypal
paypal just want to freeze accounts and take their fund
this is how their business growing
bitcoin is best
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print