Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:44:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BITCOIN MAGAZINE ARRIVED!  (Read 50096 times)
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 06:58:19 PM

re digital edition: All those who ordered Bitcoin Magazine up until now will get both print and digital editions. Digital edition of issue #1 most likely will be distributed to all subscribers, DRM free, sometime in June.

Our strategy on distribution of digital version is not yet finalised, there are a few options possible. We will try to get it into every major online newsstand out there ASAP, however.

There will be an announcement once we have some more clarity on this.

Meanwhile please do post some feedback on how do you think digital edition should be distributed. Your opinion really can change things now.

-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 07:10:55 PM

re digital edition: All those who ordered Bitcoin Magazine up until now will get both print and digital editions. Digital edition of issue #1 most likely will be distributed to all subscribers, DRM free, sometime in June.

Our strategy on distribution of digital version is not yet finalised, there are a few options possible. We will try to get it into every major online newsstand out there ASAP, however.

There will be an announcement once we have some more clarity on this.

Meanwhile please do post some feedback on how do you think digital edition should be distributed. Your opinion really can change things now.

B bought the print version and would happily buy the digital one with bitcoins at https://www.coindl.com. I can assure you that my friends would be encouraged to support your work by buying it online or print.

I'm not affiliated in any way with coindl.com.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 09:37:45 PM

who is going to buy a physical copy at double the price just to get it less than 2 weeks sooner?

Me?

I like having it in physical form

There you go, I said people who want physical will buy physical and people who want digital will buy digital. The whole idea that some how not releasing the digital for a few weeks will sell anything but a negligible amount of magazines, at most, is bat shit insane.

I don't think it's insane... for most magazines, I will take a digital over a physical one anytime. 

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 10:36:22 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2012, 10:46:59 PM by chris200x9

who is going to buy a physical copy at double the price just to get it less than 2 weeks sooner?

Me?

There you go, I said people who want physical will buy physical and people who want digital will buy digital. The whole idea that some how not releasing the digital for a few weeks will sell anything but a negligible amount of magazines, at most, is bat shit insane.

I don't think it's insane... for most magazines, I will take a digital over a physical one anytime.  

I'm not saying that at all, I'm just saying waiting to release a digital issue because you want people to buy the physical one is crazy. Especially when your essentially only waiting about as long as it would take a physical one to arrive.

example:

I ONLY WANT a digital one, but if I order a physical one it's double the price but it might get here a week before the digital is released.

No one would buy the physical in that scenario because they only want the digital one. Now if someone was like I want a physical copy, then they would buy a physical copy. All I'm trying to say is waiting to release the digital copy in the hopes that someone who doesn't want the physical copy will buy it to get it a week or two sooner is just plain silly.
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2012, 11:28:12 PM

Me?

I'm not saying that at all, I'm just saying waiting to release a digital issue because you want people to buy the physical one is crazy. Especially when your essentially only waiting about as long as it would take a physical one to arrive.

example:

I ONLY WANT a digital one, but if I order a physical one it's double the price but it might get here a week before the digital is released.

No one would buy the physical in that scenario because they only want the digital one. Now if someone was like I want a physical copy, then they would buy a physical copy. All I'm trying to say is waiting to release the digital copy in the hopes that someone who doesn't want the physical copy will buy it to get it a week or two sooner is just plain silly.

That's how business works. If they released both at the same time there would be less physical copies bought equalling less profit.

chris200x9
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2012, 11:31:51 PM

That's how business works. If they released both at the same time there would be less physical copies bought equalling less profit.

No its not, do you have any numbers to back this up?

It's like someone being like you can buy our CD and have it mailed to you or you can buy it later on itunes, by the way the CD costs double and should get there roughly around when it's available on itunes anyway. I think you'd get diehard physical medium people buying the CD and digital people waiting. Much like how you aren't going to magically sell people who don't want a physical magazine a magazine.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 12:07:06 AM

Perhaps you should tell the movie studios to release their movies on DVD the same day they come out in theaters.  After all, die hard theater fans will still want to pay theater prices to see it there, right?

All it takes is for one person to post their digital copy on a website or The Pirate Bay and suddenly most everyone has an incentive to just browse the pirated copy and not pay for it.

The community is small enough that that's enough to make their magazine unsustainable financially - and then they can't produce it anymore - at all - print or otherwise.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 12:09:08 AM

Perhaps you should tell the movie studios to release their movies on DVD the same day they come out in theaters.  After all, die hard theater fans will still want to pay theater prices to see it there, right?

All it takes is for one person to post their digital copy on a website or The Pirate Bay and suddenly most everyone has an incentive to just browse the pirated copy and not pay for it.

+1

Exactly what I was trying to say, I suck at explaining shit.

chris200x9
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 12:59:08 AM

Perhaps you should tell the movie studios to release their movies on DVD the same day they come out in theaters.  After all, die hard theater fans will still want to pay theater prices to see it there, right?

The community is small enough that that's enough to make their magazine unsustainable financially - and then they can't produce it anymore - at all - print or otherwise.

wow just wow. First your movie example is way off a more apropos example would be you can go to the movie but y'know by the time you get through the line it'll be in redbox within a week. Ever wonder why movies are at the show for weeks, leave and still take months to be out on dvd? It's to get you to act now, putting a digital copy copy out a month after release when shipping takes _weeks_ is about the same as releasing the digital copy on release day, with the added bonus of pissing of pre-orders. Also pirating would be the best thing to happen to this magazine particularly in these early stages. My advice would be to leak a copy anyone who wants the magazine as a collectors item will buy a physical copy, anyone who wants to read it will buy a digital copy, anyone who is just curious while pirate it. With pirating you are at most losing out on a digital sale and sorry to say digital products are not a limited commodity, I think the exposure outweighs the very small potential loss of revenue. Maybe I'd get pissed at a 12 month subscription on the pirate bay but issue one, that's a fuckin' godsend.
chris200x9
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 01:21:43 AM

lol beginning of last week shipped not even to vegas. Yep not weeks....
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 01:22:04 AM

putting a digital copy copy out a month after release when shipping takes _weeks_ is about the same as releasing the digital copy on release day

It won't take weeks to deliver. I reckon most people will have their magazine on Monday. I'm in Europe and it takes 3-4 days for a USPS package from US to get here so I'll probably get it very soon. I'd say the last person to get it will probably be Matthew (take a week to get to Korea I'm guessing). There is also no set delivery date for the digital copy yet.

Monday is a federal holiday in the US.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 01:27:11 AM

I update my prediction to Tuesday and expect to receive mine no later than Friday.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 02:52:39 AM

I update my prediction to Tuesday and expect to receive mine no later than Friday.

Very funny, Matthew! I can't believe you sent me this:

Seriously, no joy today. I guess maybe Tuesday. I'm pretty sure The Joint will get his copy the same time as I, for we live not that far apart (assuming he ordered a copy, that is).

~Bruno~
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 04:05:31 AM

Got my three copies yesterday. And yes, I have to say, overall great content.  Grin

But I also have to mention that yes, I noticed page three, bottom right corner. Really guys? With everything else looking so polished and professional, you just HAD to go there, didn't you? *sighs*

Anyway, here's looking forward to issue #2.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 04:37:53 AM

Got my three copies yesterday. And yes, I have to say, overall great content.  Grin

But I also have to mention that yes, I noticed page three, bottom right corner. Really guys? With everything else looking so polished and professional, you just HAD to go there, didn't you? *sighs*

Anyway, here's looking forward to issue #2.

Please tell me that this is not what's on page three:

drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 04:45:14 AM

How long will the 1st issue be available? (I'm referring, of course, to the physical edition.)

If I decide sometime in the near but indeterminate future that I'd like to buy a subscription, could I get the back issue magazine(s)?

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 05:13:35 AM

What are the specs on the magazine i.e. # pages, size, color bleeding, paper bond, etc.?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2012, 05:25:11 AM

It looks to me like the printer messed up. Here's the link for the second image: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/5/prweb9463303.htm

teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 05:48:14 AM

Aweeee geezzz...

Dont give the conspiracy theorists like parapain any ammo bro..

First! before the crazies speak up.. Smiley

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 27, 2012, 06:20:11 AM

It looks to me like the printer messed up. Here's the link for the second image: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/5/prweb9463303.htm

http://uberbills.com/images/05252012662_sm.jpg[/img] [img]http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2012/05/01/9463303/gI_75408_cover.001.jpg

It looks to me like they decided to make it look better. Notice the added contrast in the qr.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: