Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:47:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin as a Retirement Account  (Read 22695 times)
nerFohanzo

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 04:02:07 PM

That mainly depends on what number of total bitcoins you hold in your account if the amount is good enough then definitely its an best option to opt for because the value of bitcoin will be more after 20 to 25 years so it would be best to have bitcoin as a retirement account.
BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 30, 2015, 04:06:49 PM

That mainly depends on what number of total bitcoins you hold in your account if the amount is good enough then definitely its an best option to opt for because the value of bitcoin will be more after 20 to 25 years so it would be best to have bitcoin as a retirement account.

Actually it doesnt matter how many bitcoin that you got in total. If you want to really use it for retirement account and you want to get some profit with it what you must do is start to collecting bitcoin with all the money you got now since the price is still low
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2015, 05:03:37 PM

Sounds like a terrible idea unless you diversify.
BTCevo
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 08:45:53 AM

This is not a terrible idea because everyone in this world need retirement fund so they can live happily and one more thing that I can add is bitcoin always make a new variation and people nowadays are start to use it as a new kind of payment in this era of technology
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 11:27:04 AM

Actually it doesnt matter how many bitcoin that you got in total. If you want to really use it for retirement account and you want to get some profit with it what you must do is start to collecting bitcoin with all the money you got now since the price is still low

But you're assumig tha the price will always go up in future. That is just a speculation. Youi might end up having nothing after a few years. Bitcoin might be worth zero.
So you may get into a situation where you end up having nothing when you need the money most (during your retirement.)

If you're accumulating BTC for profit in young age and you invest what you're prepared to lose, that's not a big issue. If BTC ends up being nothing, you can still work your ass off to cover he expenses.
But if your retirement fund goes to zero and you're old, you're in a big trou\ble becuse you can't even work.
BTCevo
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 01:30:57 PM

But you're assumig tha the price will always go up in future. That is just a speculation. Youi might end up having nothing after a few years. Bitcoin might be worth zero.
So you may get into a situation where you end up having nothing when you need the money most (during your retirement.)

If you're accumulating BTC for profit in young age and you invest what you're prepared to lose, that's not a big issue. If BTC ends up being nothing, you can still work your ass off to cover he expenses.
But if your retirement fund goes to zero and you're old, you're in a big trou\ble becuse you can't even work.

Nope thats not true. I am sure that bitcoin will going up. Because there are thread saying that many banks will use this kind of technology to improve the securities so until that time I think bitcoin price start to raise little by little and that make you get profit
trader001

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 01:33:16 PM

Many will retire poor if they did it last year.
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 02:03:15 PM

Nope thats not true. I am sure that bitcoin will going up. Because there are thread saying that many banks will use this kind of technology to improve the securities so until that time I think bitcoin price start to raise little by little and that make you get profit

Bitcoin ans block chain are two different things. When you say banks are going to use bitcoin 's underlying technology,  you are talking about block chain. Even if the whole world starts to use block chain,  it does not have any relation with bitcoin 's price.

You should not confuse block chain 's adoption with bitcoin 's adoption.
fdiini

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:03:39 PM

Bitcoin ans block chain are two different things. When you say banks are going to use bitcoin 's underlying technology,  you are talking about block chain. Even if the whole world starts to use block chain,  it does not have any relation with bitcoin 's price.

Yes. Many here still confuse block chain and equate it with bitcoin.

Time to wake up.
umair01

Activity: 602

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 04:42:39 PM

I'd say move the time-lock outta the way, make way for the employee to buy/sell, or hire a professional to hedge,then i'd say you have something, the fact that securities,banks and finances are investing in this kind of technology already,shows that the cryptocurrency isn't going going to be redundant for a great while now.
BTCevo
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 06:02:45 PM

What do you mean its a two different things? Blockchain is the one who support bitcoin right? If they support bank that means they will also support bitcoin too right? If there is no bitcoin in this world so there are no blockchain too. I think they are correspond each other
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 09:12:34 PM

What if, after working for x many years, you have a final amount of y BTC, and then suddenly the price of bitcoin plunges? Your entire retirement savings are moot. You lost everything you worked for. People can buy that same amount of btcs for much, much cheaper. What do you do then?
sgk
Legendary

!! HODL !!

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 05:30:22 AM

What do you mean its a two different things? Blockchain is the one who support bitcoin right? If they support bank that means they will also support bitcoin too right? If there is no bitcoin in this world so there are no blockchain too. I think they are correspond each other

Nope; you can use block chain 'technology' without Bitcoin.

Block chain is nothing but a decentralized public ledger of transactions or data. If you want to implement this technology to anything, you can do so by having nothing to do with Bitcoin. However bitcoin comes into picture if you want to use BITCOIN's block chain. But when we say banks are going to use block chain technology, it does not mean we're talking about Bitcoin's block chain. They may have their own block chain which runs on the principles of Bitcoin's block chain, but it is NOT Bitcoin.

Hell..  i can have my own block chain to record my own bits of data which is based on the principles of Bitcoin's block chain, but has nothing to do with Bitcoin and its network.
gongomanny

Activity: 301
Merit: 250

Ɓιтcσιη

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:01:12 AM

You never really know what the future holds. If you live in a region with civil unrest, political uncertainty or energy crises then it’s difficult to imagine that anyone would use bitcoin for your retirement account. I mean, essentially, bitcoin is dependent on the Internet to be functional, and if you are somehow severed from the power grid or the online community, your bitcoins will be worthless, even if you store them in physical form.
umaOuma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:47:16 PM

I think its an great idea to have bitcoin as a retirement account. Generally people hesitate in accepting it as a retirement account due to its volatile nature it might go high or it might be dead but i think no issues in investing in bitcoins as in future you can earn high returns.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 10:37:07 PM

I want to put the quote:

"I am sure that bitcoin will going up" (2015)

right next to a previous:

"Housing prices will always go up" (2007)
nerFohanzo

Activity: 631

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 01:03:31 AM

This is the best time to invest if you re looking for a bitcoin as a retirement account as the prices are comparatively low as it was in the past So its the best time to invest if you keep on waiting that it will reach $100 then it would be a really bad decision to make.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 04:15:54 AM

This is not a terrible idea because everyone in this world need retirement fund so they can live happily and one more thing that I can add is bitcoin always make a new variation and people nowadays are start to use it as a new kind of payment in this era of technology

Assuming everyone needs a retirement fund to be happy (which is something I disagree with), wouldn't it be a terrible idea to only have Bitcoin in that said fund?

What if all my savings are exclusively BTC (i.e no diversification) and they turn out to be worthless in 10, 20 or 40 years, how am I suppose to live happily?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 07:24:12 AM

Assuming everyone needs a retirement fund to be happy (which is something I disagree with), wouldn't it be a terrible idea to only have Bitcoin in that said fund?

What if all my savings are exclusively BTC (i.e no diversification) and they turn out to be worthless in 10, 20 or 40 years, how am I suppose to live happily?

then you put 50% only and be happy anyway, no one said tu put everything you have in bticoin

but bitcoin still looks to have more chance to grow than dying, so even 66%-75% would be a good bet
BTCevo
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 12:19:39 PM

then you put 50% only and be happy anyway, no one said tu put everything you have in bticoin

but bitcoin still looks to have more chance to grow than dying, so even 66%-75% would be a good bet

Yes its true. I agree on you. I dont think bitcoin is gonna die for a decades. So if you invest some of your fiat in bitcoin, it still worth and you may get a lot of profit from it. And its all depends on you whethere you want to convert it or not

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: