Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:51:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BAMT on a Hard Drive  (Read 7673 times)
nckrazze (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 05:39:56 PM

I am about to switch to linuxcoin on this piece of shit.

Before you go to that extreme, try cgminer on some flavor of ubuntu 11.04 (I went with Peppermint Two, based on Lubuntu 11.04, which I *highly* recommend). Kano's installation guide worked perfectly for me

https://github.com/kanoi/linux-usb-cgminer/blob/master/linux-usb-cgminer

The guide is for a 64 bit OS, so that my be a snag if you are 32 bit. But you might try just substituting the 32 bit version of AMD-APP-SDK v.2.4 for the 64 bit version called for in the guide. See the part at the end of this guide on how to write a script

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gw7YPYgMgNNU42skibULbJJUx_suP_CpjSEdSi8_z9U/edit?pli=1

I recommend that you write the script from scratch in nano (rather than trying to cut+paste or use a standard text editor). So, just type "nano" at terminal and enter the script. When you are done, Ctrl+o, type in file name, then ENTER to save, and Ctrl+x to quit. Otherwise, you can just follow the guide above (btw, the other part of the guide for installing cgminer on xubuntu 12.04 did not work for me, but you might try it also).

Peppermint will offer an automated install of proprietary AMD drivers, but *do not* do that - instead, just follow kano's guide. To install to HD, just click on the "Install Peppermint" icon on the desktop after you boot from live CD/usb.    

Compared to BAMT, I'm seeing ~2% increase in efficiency and I can clock my 5850s a little higher. And the desktop is much more responsive. I prefer this set up over BAMT.  

Thanks for this. I might consider this, but I am still waiting on someone to help me out with the could not mount /dev/loop0 error. You know anything about this?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 07:04:30 PM

I am about to switch to linuxcoin on this piece of shit.

Before you go to that extreme, try cgminer on some flavor of ubuntu 11.04 (I went with Peppermint Two, based on Lubuntu 11.04, which I *highly* recommend). Kano's installation guide worked perfectly for me

https://github.com/kanoi/linux-usb-cgminer/blob/master/linux-usb-cgminer

The guide is for a 64 bit OS, so that my be a snag if you are 32 bit. But you might try just substituting the 32 bit version of AMD-APP-SDK v.2.4 for the 64 bit version called for in the guide. See the part at the end of this guide on how to write a script

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gw7YPYgMgNNU42skibULbJJUx_suP_CpjSEdSi8_z9U/edit?pli=1

I recommend that you write the script from scratch in nano (rather than trying to cut+paste or use a standard text editor). So, just type "nano" at terminal and enter the script. When you are done, Ctrl+o, type in file name, then ENTER to save, and Ctrl+x to quit. Otherwise, you can just follow the guide above (btw, the other part of the guide for installing cgminer on xubuntu 12.04 did not work for me, but you might try it also).

Peppermint will offer an automated install of proprietary AMD drivers, but *do not* do that - instead, just follow kano's guide. To install to HD, just click on the "Install Peppermint" icon on the desktop after you boot from live CD/usb.    

Compared to BAMT, I'm seeing ~2% increase in efficiency and I can clock my 5850s a little higher. And the desktop is much more responsive. I prefer this set up over BAMT.  

Thanks for this. I might consider this, but I am still waiting on someone to help me out with the could not mount /dev/loop0 error. You know anything about this?

No, sorry. Have you tried dd-ing BAMT straight to the hard drive? Put the BAMT image on a usb stick, then boot from CD with any version of linux. Put the usb with BAMT on it into your usb port then do

sudo fdisk -l

to find the name of your hard drive (should be "sda"). Next,

sudo dd if=/path/to/bamt.img of=/dev/sda

If your HD has a different name, then replace "sda" with whatever it is. I don't remember where, but I came across a post by another forum member who did this with success. Sorry if you have already tried this and I missed it (I didn't read all the posts carefully).
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2012, 10:49:21 PM

If you haven't seen it already, here's another discussion about putting BAMT on HD (this is where I ran across the idea of using dd).

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28967.1020
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: