Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:36:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin in space.  (Read 4402 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 08:25:39 AM

With the recent launch of the first commercial space rocket via space x http://www.spacex.com/ I wonder at what point there will be a bitcoin node operating in a satellite so that it would bypass any government control from earth ?

Would it need a whole satellite or could it piggyback on an existing one ?

The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 08:38:46 AM

I dunno but I pledge 0.02 btc towards its creation.

Grin

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
alatus

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 08:54:06 AM

I would even give a whole 1 BTC!  Grin
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 09:05:45 AM

I'd pledge 20btc.

Are there any space junkies here? I think this would be an awesome idea and I'd love to be a part of it or even manage the project!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 09:16:09 AM

Sort of related:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/03/the-pirate-bay-is-headed-to-space/

TBH it wouldn't be that hard to put a small solar powered Bitcoin node into space using a weather balloon + small rocket ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockoon ).

It won't be able to get it into orbit, but it'll stay there for a while anyways, currently the cheapest method of getting something into orbit costs $11,000,000 per launch, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_%28rocket%29

Blazr spots a pretty cool weekend project

Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 09:28:06 AM

I want an orbiting node!

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 09:41:52 AM

Theres a german hackerspace trying to put up their own satelites that can be used to access the internet.

they sell "kits" to get your own one up and encourage others to do the same to make a robust network.

Im sure adding 5ghash of mining equipment into the thing would be trivial to do.

Peeer2SpacePool for the serious win.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 09:43:20 AM

I want an orbiting node!

So do I, so do I  Grin

I saw awhile ago that the pirate bay was looking to do something similar with an orbiting server or unmanned drones. http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/03/the-pirate-bay-is-headed-to-space/  

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 09:44:16 AM

Theres a german hackerspace trying to put up their own satelites that can be used to access the internet.

they sell "kits" to get your own one up and encourage others to do the same to make a robust network.

Im sure adding 5ghash of mining equipment into the thing would be trivial to do.

I wonder what the network latency would be  Smiley

Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 09:46:19 AM

We could probably get 100gh if we wanted to. I'm sure some FPGA companies would be happy to donate!
We could use the FPGAs to raise funds before launch as well.

I'm going to get some numbers together and see how we can do this. If it is feasible, I will seriously consider putting together a GLBSE asset to raise funds for this awesome project!

Garr255
Legendary

What's a GPU?

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 09:46:55 AM

I wonder what the network latency would be  Smiley

Well damn, GPUmax it is then... xD

MaxSan

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 09:50:43 AM

The latency wouldnt be so bad. its half the time than using a wireless HSDPA device (only one direction Wink)

Id be up for giving some small amount of funding towards this. Do have a look for this german hacker group, i think between them and new tech coming out we could be on to a very novel winner idea.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 09:51:30 AM

We could probably get 100gh if we wanted to. I'm sure some FPGA companies would be happy to donate!
We could use the FPGAs to raise funds before launch as well.

I'm going to get some numbers together and see how we can do this. If it is feasible, I will seriously consider putting together a GLBSE asset to raise funds for this awesome project!

It would be seriously cool to do so and create a media storm  Cheesy

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 10:07:48 AM

Interorbital Systems has a Personal Satellite Kit for sale that includes "a launch to orbit on our NEPTUNE 30 rocket for the combined price $8,000."

The downside is that it's meant to go into a self-decaying orbit and only stay up for a few weeks and burn up upon re-entry.

Still around.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 10:17:07 AM

Interorbital Systems has a Personal Satellite Kit for sale that includes "a launch to orbit on our NEPTUNE 30 rocket for the combined price $8,000."

The downside is that it's meant to go into a self-decaying orbit and only stay up for a few weeks and burn up upon re-entry.

I like the hackers in space idea a bit more Cheesy

The satellite would also need solar power especially if you wanted to actually mine btc  Smiley

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 10:29:46 AM

Isn't it trivial to detect and shoot down something like that?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2012, 10:50:11 AM

Like they say in this article that would be an act of war and a sign of how desperate they are  Smiley

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/23064/the_pirate_bay_plans_to_launch_space_servers_to_prevent_being_raided/index.html

MaxSan

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 12:20:51 PM

Like they say in this article that would be an act of war and a sign of how desperate they are  Smiley

They would not be firing missiles to take it down. THAT would cause attention lol.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 03:57:08 PM

They would not be firing missiles to take it down. THAT would cause attention lol.

And the Kessler syndrome.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560

Ad astra.

View Profile
May 28, 2012, 06:15:18 PM

I'd fully support this initiative, but I suspect a significant amount of capital would be necessary.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: