Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 03:04:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Foundation to repair relationship with community  (Read 5477 times)
pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1573

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 09:35:34 AM

After Jon Matonis' resignation, the new Executive Director, Patrick Murck, acknowledges the need to repair relationship between foundation and community.

He'll be doing AMA on Reddit on 5th November.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-foundations-new-head-patrick-murck-outlines-future-plans/

The Bitcoin Foundation's new executive director Patrick Murck has outlined his priorities for the organization's "new direction" and its relationship with stakeholders.

His statement follows yesterday's resignation of former executive director Jon Matonis both from the post and his position on foundation's board.

Notably, former general counsel Murck acknowledged a need to repair the foundation's relationship with the bitcoin community, even if that meant sometimes adopting unpopular or controversial positions on some issues, and taking risks with communication and transparency to demonstrate honest engagement.

He wrote:

"That means we may not always say exactly the right thing and we might not always be on message, but we will be authentic in how we interact with the community in the future and I hope that you all get to know the people who work hard to make the foundation go."

There will be an 'ask me anything' (AMA) session for the new executive director on Reddit on 5th November, at which the community is invited to join in with their own questions about the foundation's future role.

Murck stated his first priority is to "cut out distractions" to better serve the bitcoin cause, which means a sharp focus on standardization through the bitcoin core reference implementation and doing more to support those building the bitcoin infrastructure.

Additionally he promised to run the non-profit foundation more like a business – finding new ways to generate funding, rather than simply relying on membership dues and hopes of bitcoin price appreciation.
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 09:45:20 AM

It's about time!
All they did was ruin the Bitcoin decentralisaton image.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 10:33:39 AM

Yeah, I think it's a bit late for that given the shit they've been trying to pull on us, they should just do themselves a favour and disband the foundation, it isn't needed, people like Andreas and Amir have done more for the Bitcoin community than the Bitcoin Foundation ever did, hell I'll admit, even the winklevoss twins are doing more with their Bitcoin ETF even though I don't approve of ETF's one bit.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 11:09:12 AM

I don't see how they can improve it. They have done absolutely well to demoralize our community, let's see what they can do to solve it.

nor9865

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

If you think you know me.. Think again

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 11:11:15 AM

I don't see how they can improve it. They have done absolutely well to demoralize our community, let's see what they can do to solve it.

They'll implement new improvements in their transparency issue for starters.

And probably talk about the team, give a lot of background information on every member, and give their reasons for their conduct in the past year(s).
Chavez

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 11:36:50 AM

I don't see how something like The Foundation could  ever represent the rest of the community. Being centralised and with members who have business interests in bitcoin they're obviously going to become biased or corrupt.
belk

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 12:27:30 PM

Lol.. that is just funny how reports/articles surface in this forum. Are they making things up again?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 02:07:37 PM

We hear things before the mainstream news does and are infinitely more informed Wink
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 02:13:47 PM

Not to sound like a jerk, but who cares about the Bitcoin Foundation?  Isn't the whole point of bitcoin so we don't have to deal with bureaucratic bullshit?  In my eyes, they're 100% totally irrelevant, and just created themselves a bunch of good paying jobs.

Hell with it, I'm starting Bitcoin Foundation 2.0 -- who's in?  If we play our cards right, we can all be making 7 figures within the next 12 months for not doing much except talking.  Cool deal, eh?

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 02:37:14 PM

Despite these half measures the true problem is they are trying to be the voice for a decentralized project with a centralized and hierarchical representation which is damaging in itself. The best thing they can do is fragment into multiple organizations not centrally managed and controlled by any one president. 

tatu

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 02:45:12 PM

Not to sound like a jerk, but who cares about the Bitcoin Foundation?  Isn't the whole point of bitcoin so we don't have to deal with bureaucratic bullshit?  In my eyes, they're 100% totally irrelevant, and just created themselves a bunch of good paying jobs.

Hell with it, I'm starting Bitcoin Foundation 2.0 -- who's in?  If we play our cards right, we can all be making 7 figures within the next 12 months for not doing much except talking.  Cool deal, eh?

Well we should care a bit because they could do either damage or good to bitcoin. The general public may also think they are the offical front or face of bitcoin when obviously they're not.
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 02:49:59 PM

They lost me the day they let Brock Pierce crawl his way in

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
efiin

Activity: 31

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 02:52:08 PM

They won't repair the relationship between the community even if they did they would just do some other idiotic thing once again.
banksycoin

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 02:55:00 PM

Can't wait for the AMA Smiley

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 03:00:25 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2014, 04:20:07 PM by Come-from-Beyond

It's about time!

The foundation ruins the imagine image by its very existence.
Beyonce

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

Surfbort.

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 03:03:55 PM

Why? Doubt he'd answer any controversial questions or question we want asked. Someone should ask them to disband or put unnoficial in front of their name Cheesy.

Bow down, bitches.
bitcoinaliens

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 03:04:31 PM

I don't see how something like The Foundation could  ever represent the rest of the community. Being centralised and with members who have business interests in bitcoin they're obviously going to become biased or corrupt.

This.

Centalised foundation for a decentralised movement. Insane.

Bitcoin Banner Advertising - CoinAd, the world's largest bitcoin focused ads network.
DalienGames.com - Earn bitcoin while you play FREE online flash games.
Tubers.tv - Earn bitcoin while you watch ANY video online.
Blockchain Stats - Earn bitcoin while you check the bitcoin and altcoin prices.
efiin

Activity: 31

View Profile
November 02, 2014, 03:06:01 PM

It's about time!

The foundation ruins the imagine by its very existence.

100% agree. I've always been against even when they were partially liked by the community.
banksycoin

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 03:22:47 PM

Why? Doubt he'd answer any controversial questions or question we want asked. Someone should ask them to disband or put unnoficial in front of their name Cheesy.

Not necessarily looking for real answers but the uncertainties in how it will go on both the question and answer sides will make it entertaining to read.  Wink

pawel7777 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1573

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2014, 03:38:15 PM

I don't think he'll be able to avoid difficult questions as those will probably be the majority. So the question is, whether he'll provide honest answers or feed us with some bullshit.

Not necessarily looking for real answers but the uncertainties in how it will go on both the question and answer sides will make it entertaining to read.  Wink

That's for sure. Get your popcorn ready.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: