Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:21:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't invest more than you can afford to lose  (Read 6506 times)
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 09:35:28 PM

Problem with buying Bitcoin is that all the easy ROI is long gone and yet current buyers assuming 100% of the risk unlike the earliest adopters.  Seems legit - exchange your real dollars for fake Bitcoins while the Bitcoin rich buy a Bugatti with your real dollars.    Cheesy

People who initially bought Bitcoin in 2009 when it was fractions of a penny saw like 450,000 return leading up to last November.  While today, assuming the rate of inflation is static (I don't need to entertain hyperinflation arguments), the most Bitcoin's capitalization could ever be is $Trillions.  So the ROI limit left here is like 1000x on a new investment.

1000x return so $10,000 would only net $10 million..  of course this is no guaranteed thing..  BTC could plateau at its' current capitalization forever, drop down to $0 or be replaced by a competitor.

The latter is possible I think because Bitcoin is only 500K-2M users when the internet in the late 1980s had more users.  It seems very possible that some coin better at promotion and user base expansion could simply fly past Bitcoin in months and Butters would be asking themselves what just happened.

Doesn't seem that likely.

Why would a new coin get hundreds of thousands of users?  What killer feature
would it have to be so attractive? 

Something viral of course.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 10:09:56 PM

Problem with buying Bitcoin is that all the easy ROI is long gone and yet current buyers assuming 100% of the risk unlike the earliest adopters.  Seems legit - exchange your real dollars for fake Bitcoins while the Bitcoin rich buy a Bugatti with your real dollars.    Cheesy

People who initially bought Bitcoin in 2009 when it was fractions of a penny saw like 450,000 return leading up to last November.  While today, assuming the rate of inflation is static (I don't need to entertain hyperinflation arguments), the most Bitcoin's capitalization could ever be is $Trillions.  So the ROI limit left here is like 1000x on a new investment.

1000x return so $10,000 would only net $10 million..  of course this is no guaranteed thing..  BTC could plateau at its' current capitalization forever, drop down to $0 or be replaced by a competitor.

The latter is possible I think because Bitcoin is only 500K-2M users when the internet in the late 1980s had more users.  It seems very possible that some coin better at promotion and user base expansion could simply fly past Bitcoin in months and Butters would be asking themselves what just happened.

Well, anything is possible,
but like I said, doesn't likely. 

Killer features would probably
be adopted by Bitcoin before
the new coin would gather enough
of a network.

TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 10:26:38 PM

of a network.

I never said features.  A lot of search engines and social media websites were replaced by competitors who did a better job at attracting users.

That's why this forum was in panic mode when Apple Pay was announced but it didn't go viral.  Inevitably somebody will come along and go viral and Bitcoin at its' small 500K - 2M users would be left behind

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Baghead

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 10:57:39 PM

Timing is helpfull hey lol but having the balls to know life will continue as normal if you do your nutts and fail is the key as you say. I wonder about the guys who had the guts at the beginning of bitcoin to put everything they had and more into it,  held untill it went big. bam what did someones late $200 rent  buy BTC at pennys now worth aha I have done similar it did not pay off>> so what im still here and i will do it again good luck to the winners and losers the game is here to be played
freequant

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 11:38:52 PM

Here is a nice wall of shame of a sampling of posts saving people from themselves when the price was in the single and double digits.

Don't invest more than you are willing to lose.

not to invest more than they can afford lose.

Don't invest more than you can afford to loose.

Don't invest more than you can afford to completely lose.

You should never invest more than you could afford to loose.

don't invest more than you can be comfortable losing.

Trading Rule #1: Never ever invest more than you can afford to lose.

remember not to invest more than you can afford to lose.

NEVER INVEST MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE.

Don't invest more than you can afford to lose
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 11:40:08 PM

of a network.

I never said features.  A lot of search engines and social media websites were replaced by competitors who did a better job at attracting users.

That's why this forum was in panic mode when Apple Pay was announced but it didn't go viral.  Inevitably somebody will come along and go viral and Bitcoin at its' small 500K - 2M users would be left behind

Apple pay is centralized.  very difficult for something decentralized to sweep in overnight and get massive viral adoption.

freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 11:44:22 PM

Don't invest more than you can afford to lose.
Don't invest less than you can afford to lose.
Invest what you can afford to lose.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:13:31 AM

Don't invest more than you can afford to lose.
Don't invest less than you can afford to lose.
Invest what you can afford to lose.

Once you have freed yourself from your materialistic desires, you'll find that you can afford to lose everything.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 12:57:00 PM

Now, most people if they are fairly confident of living another 10 years, can afford to lose $50,000, yah it will be tough to make up for the average working stiff, but it's doable.

The BIG BIG BIG mistake that we see happening far too often though, is people using money that already has obligations, as in "Yeah, I can afford 50k as long as I get it back in 2 months for grandmas cancer treatment" ... back in 2 months, yah, bitcoin ain't running on a timetable, and Murphy's law practically guarantees that if you need the money back at a certain time, you are probably going to be pulling it out when it's worth 30% of what you put in, after waiting until the last minute (and losing another 5% in process as you stalled) and two weeks later it will have gone up 500%...

That is the hard luck story we hear most often.

"I put money that-wasn't-mine/that-had-a-purpose/that-I-owed-to-the-mob in bitcoin thinking I'd make it back in a week, waaaaaaaa!!!!!"

As you might have guessed, a lot of these people fit the profile of compulsive gamblers and may not have been the sharpest bulb in the drawer in the first place. Sometimes you can read between the lines as "I put money I couldn't afford short term into bitcoin AND found satoshi dice..."

So never put in more than you can afford to lose, but most especially, NEVER PUT IN NEXT MONTHS RENT... or similar.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2014, 12:59:32 PM

I try to stay respective with the current market. But I am sensing a lot of furstration among the BTC users that are creeping and forcing them to take wild decisions.

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 01:24:40 PM

Don't invest more than you can afford to lose

Invest everything you can responsibly, we cannot afford to lose.

For some of us the decision is easy as we can afford to lose money but cannot afford to lose
the cultural and economic battle that is being fought.

The stakes are much higher than some investment scheme. Statist apologists disparage the ethicist's and ideologues in our community as being "extremists" without realizing how our commitment is the reason why Bitcoin will never go to 0 and will keep on growing despite the capricious nature of those who are using Bitcoin as a short term investment vehicle.

--There is nothing "extreme" about wanting a secure protocol. Backdoors implemented that the altruists can use can equally be exploited by the corrupt and evil.

--There is nothing "extreme" about wanted the status quo of the option of anonymous payments to be maintained that has always been the case for the last 11,000 years. What is "extreme" and dangerous is the the logging and tracking of every purchase a user makes and attaching those to an identity.

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2014, 01:51:36 PM

I think the underlying theme here is 'regret'. You see plenty of people going 'all in' on various 'good deals' only to start whining/complaining/fudding after a couple days when the 'good deal' turns out to be a scam. I believe that's where the 'Don't invest more than you can afford to lose' retort comes from. If someone owns up to his/her own actions/mistakes then sure what you describe in the op is possible. You can sell everything and invest and if it goes south, you still have your job. It's about taking responsibility.
chopstick
Legendary

Activity: 992

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 01:57:02 PM

The only real risk of investing into BTC is that you might not be smart enough to secure your coin and end up losing it..

Price wise, it's obvious we're only going up. BTC is the best investment you can possibly make right now. Better than any stock I've ever heard of.
Fat Ronaldo

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 01:59:32 PM

I try to stay respective with the current market. But I am sensing a lot of furstration among the BTC users that are creeping and forcing them to take wild decisions.

Nobody is forcing them to do anything. I think they only people that are getting frustrated are the people who thought they were going to get rich quick.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 02:04:21 PM

I think the underlying theme here is 'regret'. You see plenty of people going 'all in' on various 'good deals' only to start whining/complaining/fudding after a couple days when the 'good deal' turns out to be a scam. I believe that's where the 'Don't invest more than you can afford to lose' retort comes from. If someone owns up to his/her own actions/mistakes then sure what you describe in the op is possible. You can sell everything and invest and if it goes south, you still have your job. It's about taking responsibility.

Another reason people constantly use this term is for legal reasons to absolve culpability... a way of suggesting caveat emptor.

It is smarter for both an investor and society if you invest in Bitcoin as a long term bull who believes in the technology and underlying principles of what is trying to be accomplished. Set yourself strict guidelines of when to take profits and reinvest and never sell at a loss.

There is no regret for supporting such an important cause, as monetary gain is secondary at most.

pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 02:44:26 AM

The only real risk of investing into BTC is that you might not be smart enough to secure your coin and end up losing it..

Price wise, it's obvious we're only going up. BTC is the best investment you can possibly make right now. Better than any stock I've ever heard of.

As long as you can afford to wait a few years, your investment is going to do good.

BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1241

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2014, 04:44:53 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2014, 06:57:53 AM by BayAreaCoins

If you believe in BTC so much.  

Go to OKCoin.com and go long with leverage 20x Cheesy

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
kingscrown

Activity: 672

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2014, 04:47:47 AM

main rule of hazard:)

IBGigglin
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1006

BCH Advocate.

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 06:48:52 AM

This may be the most intelligent post I've read on Bitcointalk.

Im baaaack! Looking for sig campaign. DM me if interested.
o0o0
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1021

View Profile
November 15, 2014, 07:59:56 AM

Invest everything you can afford to lose if you believe in cryptocurrency and hold. As others have stated don't expend more than you can care to lose and only if you believe in it.

I've personally dropped around $53k or 1/4 of my total wealth in it as my major investment. If i lose it all tomorrow i won't be poor or cry. But i do believe in it as a future technology. I'm holding eager to see what the future will hold (4+ years). If i do sell at any point it'll be to ride the waves to increase my current holding.

This is going to be big long term.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: