Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:43:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SMLY- smileycoin - for rewards in education  (Read 76982 times)
gstefans (OP)

Activity: 471
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2016, 07:59:40 PM

8 hours and no block -_-
Yeah, this is not good :-(

It's back up, but there clearly was some hiccup in the pool.

We still have a chronic problem of nobody mining unless very profitable and then more than one pool directs all of their efforts at this coin - after which it promptly is no longer profitable.

BTW this is offline: https://coinplorer.com/SMLY
The owner no longer replies to emails. Looks like the project has been abandoned. 

Some of the pools provide the same info though.

Any suggestion to where to go for a "primary" block explorer?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitbobb

Activity: 1134
Merit: 525

Less hops. More wins.

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 08:40:04 AM

8 hours and no block -_-

We still have a chronic problem of nobody mining unless very profitable and then more than one pool directs all of their efforts at this coin - after which it promptly is no longer profitable.

The owner no longer replies to emails. Looks like the project has been abandoned. 

Why I cannot solo mine this coin?  Tell me what machine to run and I will buy one and point it at this coin.  Please tell me and I will do. 

gstefans (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2016, 10:55:00 AM

8 hours and no block -_-

Why I cannot solo mine this coin?  Tell me what machine to run and I will buy one and point it at this coin.  Please tell me and I will do. 

You are more than free to solo mine. Note that this is a scrypt-based coin and the difficulty is normally at least 12. This implies that it is not really feasible to solo mine using a CPU or a GPU on an ordinary PC (or Mac).

Basically you need a scrypt ASIC to mine it. We've been using Zeus Thunder X3&X6 scrypt ASICS and getting them off ebay, where they are typically sold for $250-$500 (depending on configuration and luck). Of course there is no guarantee that they will work :-)  Depending on the cost of electricity this may or may not be profitable (probably not). Each of these gets 15-30 MH/s and the X3 draws about 1000 watts.

I know there are people mining scrypt coins using scrypt KNC Titans. These are no longer in production and are rarely seen on ebay, but at 100-300 MH/s they can be run profitably in spite of being quite expensive. We're not quite ready to buy these beasts (yet).

All the ASICs are noisy and you can certainly not sleep in the same room when one of these is running. You'll need to hook most of them up to a computer - they are not standalone.
dgmon

Activity: 438
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 10:16:18 PM

8 hours and no block -_-

Might a switch to proof to stake work?

Quote from: gstefans

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=571254.0

Chainz.cryptoid.info are the best, but they're pricy :-)
dgmon

View Profile
September 02, 2016, 04:41:15 PM

https://twitter.com/diiorioanthony/status/771033721881362432

Has SmileyWallet disappeared from the iOS App Store too?  Very sad Sad  What can we do about it?
gstefans (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2016, 05:06:57 PM

https://twitter.com/diiorioanthony/status/771033721881362432

Has SmileyWallet disappeared from the iOS App Store too?  Very sad Sad  What can we do about it?

I'm afraid this is true. It's time for a report. First the basics:

We got word a few days ago that they had removed the wallet and filed a question right away. When they basically answered nonsense, we repeated the question, got nonsense again and then filed an appeal. I got a phone call today on behalf of the  appeal board stating in no uncertain terms that we would not be allowed in the App Store. Period.

To give you all some more background, this is how things have gone:

Their guidelines state that "Apps may facilitate transmission of approved virtual currencies (e.g. Bitcoin, DogeCoin)" so we figured we might have a chance here, since it says "e.g.", not "specifically". Their nonsense emails kept interpreting the sentence in the latter way. Those seemed to be written by someone who didn't have a clue.

But on the phone, when confronted with their own guidelines, the response was that these are just examples of approved currencies. They have a definitive internal list of approved currencies which is not given in the guidelines. They claim to take each request for a coin and process it. They have come to a decision which is not in our favour.

I'm not sure there is anything we can do :-( It certainly did not sound like it.

When I explicitly asked them what the decision was based on, i.e. whether there was anything we could do or how we could get a coin accepted, the response was that the decision process is an internal process which they do not reveal outside Apple. When I then said "that's not very useful" the guy basically said "you can develop an HTML5 wallet which the users can download and save as a link".
Chris Sokolowski

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2016, 01:02:57 AM

For your information, we mine Smileycoin and have a block explorer at https://prohashing.com.

Prohashing - Professional Mining Made Simple
Visit us at https://prohashing.com
Optimized for performance - 15 algorithms - Payouts in 200 coins - PPS, PPLNS, or solo
gstefans (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2016, 07:34:19 AM

For your information, we mine Smileycoin and have a block explorer at https://prohashing.com.

Cool service!

I'm sure you've noticed that for a while now you've been at the top of our list of block explorers in the opening page of this thread. Hope you don't mind :-)

gstefans (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2016, 06:42:07 PM

SMLY is now in the coinomi wallet!!

Now we would really, really appreciate it if ShapeShift will accept SMLY also.

If you have not looked at coinomi then you should do that - this is a really nifty little wallet.
dgmon

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 04:54:56 PM

If you have not looked at coinomi then you should do that - this is a really nifty little wallet.

Very very cool!  Is there something about this I can retweet?   Cheesy
gstefans (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2016, 07:55:13 PM

Very very cool!  Is there something about this I can retweet?   Cheesy

Yeah, @smileycoinnews has a tweet out.
mamichula

Activity: 308
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 08:31:17 PM

I really, really like the logo for this coin.
mamichula

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 08:33:39 PM

8 hours and no block -_-

You are more than free to solo mine. Note that this is a scrypt-based coin and the difficulty is normally at least 12. This implies that it is not really feasible to solo mine using a CPU or a GPU on an ordinary PC (or Mac).

Basically you need a scrypt ASIC to mine it. We've been using Zeus Thunder X3&X6 scrypt ASICS and getting them off ebay, where they are typically sold for $250-$500 (depending on configuration and luck). Of course there is no guarantee that they will work :-)  Depending on the cost of electricity this may or may not be profitable (probably not). Each of these gets 15-30 MH/s and the X3 draws about 1000 watts.

I know there are people mining scrypt coins using scrypt KNC Titans. These are no longer in production and are rarely seen on ebay, but at 100-300 MH/s they can be run profitably in spite of being quite expensive. We're not quite ready to buy these beasts (yet).

All the ASICs are noisy and you can certainly not sleep in the same room when one of these is running. You'll need to hook most of them up to a computer - they are not standalone.

Doesn't that ruin the popularity of a coin? I mean if it was a GPU coin then more people can participate, get into it.
gstefans (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2016, 09:30:27 PM

8 hours and no block -_-

Doesn't that ruin the popularity of a coin? I mean if it was a GPU coin then more people can participate, get into it.
OK, I presume with this you mean more miners :-) 

We're actually getting 500-1000 new students "participating" every year! They get rewards from the tutor-web system where this is used internally.

So although I agree with you  and others in this thread that there are many good reasons why we should make this a multi-algo coin, we do actually have a fair number of new users :-) 

Those users are not really affected by the algorithm (any more than most Bitcoin users are) - there are other reasons for implementing an alternate algorithm.

mamichula

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 11:41:26 PM

8 hours and no block -_-

OK, I presume with this you mean more miners :-) 

We're actually getting 500-1000 new students "participating" every year! They get rewards from the tutor-web system where this is used internally.

So although I agree with you  and others in this thread that there are many good reasons why we should make this a multi-algo coin, we do actually have a fair number of new users :-) 

Those users are not really affected by the algorithm (any more than most Bitcoin users are) - there are other reasons for implementing an alternate algorithm.

Yeah, I meant miners. I figured the more miners the more users. But I see what you're saying.
gstefans (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2016, 12:43:45 PM

Another pool for SMLY:  http://wmikrut.com
piggycoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 06:44:19 PM

SmileyCoin now has a market traded directly against PiggyCoin on NovaExchange!

https://novaexchange.com/market/PIGGY_SMLY/

Oink!

New Piggycoin [PIGGY]: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=633803
The crypto for kids!
gstefans (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2016, 05:09:18 PM

I have a Request For Comment:

As you will know, (almost) half the potential SMLY were premined, to be used inside the tutor-web educational system.

The way this works is that the tutor-web system gives SMLY rewards. The goal is to spend roughly the same number of SMLY on students as get mined by miners, i.e. about 12 billion SMLY over the first 7 years of the project (at which point halving occurs).

When a student earns SMLY these SMLY are allocated to them but only transferred once the student has provided a wallet address into which to redeem the SMLY.

The tutor-web system thus has its own internal wallet which receives SMLY occasionally from cold storage. These are then held in the tutor-web wallet until a student decides to redeem the SMLY into their own wallet. The tutor-web wallet only needs to hold enough SMLY to pay all the active students.

But many of the students simply ignore their SMLY. In fact we've recently announced that the tutor-web system will not keep their SMLY forever, i.e. after a couple of years the students have forfeited their SMLY. Note that these have already been removed from the premine wallet(s) and allocated to students, but not redeemed.

So here is the question: What should we do with unclaimed SMLY?

I'd like a discussion on this, but there are two obvious options:
  • Re-allocate them back into the tutor-web and then to new students
  • Donate them to the sister project of the tutor-web, Education in a Suitcase

Re-allocating them back into the tutor-web could certainly be done. That would not change anything.

EIAS could easily put the SMLY to good use. This would certainly help in buying tablets&servers for students&schools in Africa etc. The way to implement this would be to announce on the tutor-web grade-page that SMLY which have not been redeemed will (after x years) be donated to EIAS.

I'd like your feedback on this.
dgmon

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 05:32:02 PM

Either of those is fine by me.  You might also consider using them for the development of the coin, for instance solving the issue of the occasional long gaps between blocks -- An experienced dev might accept some SMLY as a bounty.
Bitbobb

Activity: 1134
Merit: 525

Less hops. More wins.

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 06:32:58 PM

Either of those is fine by me.  You might also consider using them for the development of the coin, for instance solving the issue of the occasional long gaps between blocks -- An experienced dev might accept some SMLY as a bounty.

Yeah I think the development is key.  I love this project but I just do not know how to support it.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 »
  Print  

Jump to: