Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:42:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Invest in OpenBazaar?  (Read 4529 times)
cloudboy

Activity: 690
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 12:27:21 AM

What advantages will Freemarket have over OpenBazaar?

I have invested a small amount into FreeMarket because I think it can do well, but that doesn't make me an expert on it by any means. If you are interested, I would recommend you to post here:

https://nxtforum.org/freemarket/

What I do know is that it does not log your ip, runs right on top of the nxt blockchain so transactions are very quick, listing fees are super low and buying fees almost nonexistent (1 nxt apiece), and it is already released of course.

I haven't researched openbazaar much though, it may have these features as well.

In my opinion, FreeMarket's devs seem to be a friendly and intelligent group, and seem dedicated. I think there will be more cool features to come

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
michaellanthros

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2014, 02:05:21 AM

I am really happy about these online decentralized markets like openbazaar and freemarket. The less power the governments have to control buying and selling of objects the more freedom consumers will have.
MoscowAlliance

Activity: 21

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 08:02:06 AM

What advantages will Freemarket have over OpenBazaar?

I have invested a small amount into FreeMarket because I think it can do well, but that doesn't make me an expert on it by any means. If you are interested, I would recommend you to post here:

https://nxtforum.org/freemarket/

What I do know is that it does not log your ip, runs right on top of the nxt blockchain so transactions are very quick, listing fees are super low and buying fees almost nonexistent (1 nxt apiece), and it is already released of course.

I haven't researched openbazaar much though, it may have these features as well.

In my opinion, FreeMarket's devs seem to be a friendly and intelligent group, and seem dedicated. I think there will be more cool features to come
yes i sure hope so too
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 11, 2014, 06:38:20 PM

Disappointed to learn this about OpenBazaar:

http://forum.openbazaar.org/index.php?p=/discussion/105/need-a-permanent-node-to-set-up-a-store

That is not decentralization for me.
poofknuckle

Activity: 22

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 03:44:51 PM

O HAI.

I am one of the devs. I like to think we are friendly and intelligent Smiley

We certainly love feedback. "The devs are listening," I like to say. We are committed to making FreeMarket as good as it can possibly be, and for that, we need to know what users want.

EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 08:07:58 PM

Hoi, poofknuckle! Great work on Freemarket, mate. Cheesy

Well the key difference is, that openBazaar is able to run with any cryptocurrency, while Nxt just added a feature to themselves, that will  probably not run on other cryptos. It works, but it's kinda against the spirit of open source.

This is one of the things people don't get about Nxt: its an open, de-centralised system with no set leadership structure. If people want to make an app based on Nxt, they don't have to ask any permission, just get down and do it, which is what the FreeMarket team did.
The FreeMarket app is therefore not an integral part of the Nxt core, but is an independent project running on the Nxt blockchain.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
ankylotic

Activity: 477
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 11:53:11 PM

A phone app for free market will help it gain traction IMO. Or maybe a mobile browser accessible version.
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2014, 11:55:32 PM

The interface is very simple, I bet it works great on a phone through a browser.  You need to be able to connect to someone's node though.
poofknuckle

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 03:28:36 AM

The interface is very simple, I bet it works great on a phone through a browser.  You need to be able to connect to someone's node though.

A web interface has already been developed (not by the core team, but by another NXT user who liked FreeMarket). They still need an SSL certificate, but here's the address:

https://freemarketlite.com

That might work well on a phone browser, I am looking forward to trying that out  Cool

cloudboy

Activity: 690
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 04:19:12 AM

A web interface has already been developed (not by the core team, but by another NXT user who liked FreeMarket). They still need an SSL certificate, but here's the address:

That might work well on a phone browser, I am looking forward to trying that out  Cool

Nice!

The site doesn't look bad on a phone browser. The list item form looks really good.
drkman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 05:11:18 AM

Is it possible to invest in OpenBazaar now or in the future?  Are they going to disperse a coin?

The Supernet already has Freemarket which is the same as open bazaar.  It's symbol is called UNITY.  https://bter.com/trade/unity_btc  Also, with the coming Vericoin SuperNET wallet you can give Freemarket a test run or you can use it right now via nxtfreemarket.com.  I believe the fee is around .15 cents to post something for sale on Freemarket (a decentralized Ebay) but free for the rest of this year.  You can invest the Freemarket coin/asset directly using an NXT wallet.  Read up more below.

http://nxter.org/supernet-newsletter-6/
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 05:30:41 AM

That might work well on a phone browser, I am looking forward to trying that out  Cool

I could be wrong but I think the web interface was developed by the core team.  That NXT user just made his node publicly available so anyone can connect to it over the internet via the standard web interface (and I believe it's overloaded right now).
amazingsammy

Activity: 9

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 07:17:36 AM

So I've torn open bizarre apart, and it's good stuff. Pretty well written. Code is pretty solid, for what it is. Better than you usually find in crypto space, which coming from me says a lot.
What I'm not so confident in is the way it's distributed. I think that when this thing goes live, and they work out the feature set, that there will be targeted attacks against their embedded SQLite databases, probably in the form of rogue stores. You download a rogue store, which may have some tweaks in the way it's built, and bingo bango, you've made open bizarre do something it wasn't intended to. How dangerous something like that might be remains to be seen. Maybe I'll reserve comment for when the rest of the must have features are finished.

Right now, all you really have with it is a promising looking, semi functional mockup with some core account features down. I'm glad they're getting press coverage, but the program is nowhere near ready for prime time just yet. Even going so far as to call it alpha quality code is a stretch.

Also, installing the thing is one of the most brutal software install experiences on Ubuntu that I've had in a very long time.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 08:14:11 AM

So I've torn open bizarre apart, and it's good stuff. Pretty well written. Code is pretty solid, for what it is. Better than you usually find in crypto space, which coming from me says a lot.
What I'm not so confident in is the way it's distributed. I think that when this thing goes live, and they work out the feature set, that there will be targeted attacks against their embedded SQLite databases, probably in the form of rogue stores. You download a rogue store, which may have some tweaks in the way it's built, and bingo bango, you've made open bizarre do something it wasn't intended to. How dangerous something like that might be remains to be seen. Maybe I'll reserve comment for when the rest of the must have features are finished.

Right now, all you really have with it is a promising looking, semi functional mockup with some core account features down. I'm glad they're getting press coverage, but the program is nowhere near ready for prime time just yet. Even going so far as to call it alpha quality code is a stretch.

Also, installing the thing is one of the most brutal software install experiences on Ubuntu that I've had in a very long time.

Thanks for the review. I am waiting for a more polished product.

How anonymous or not is Freemarket vs OpenBazaar?

I think soon a lot of coins will have decentralized market places.. I could name a few that aren't being discussed in this thread. Same with Turing complete scripting. Crypto 2.0s are moving quickly.
MR1
Legendary

Activity: 927

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 09:51:43 AM

Why not invest in Nxt FreeMarket? It is actually already released.

nxtfreemarket.com

FreeMarket is not really free, coz sellers have to pay to post items there. There also fees for each transaction.
BTCDDev

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 12:11:56 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2014, 04:14:14 PM by BTCDDev

That might work well on a phone browser, I am looking forward to trying that out  Cool

I could be wrong but I think the web interface was developed by the core team.  That NXT user just made his node publicly available so anyone can connect to it over the internet via the standard web interface (and I believe it's overloaded right now).

I developed the web interface because we all needed a way to view the listings without running the software. It's back up now, my vps just sucks. I need to upgrade it.

Matthew

BitcoinDark: RPHWc5CwP9YMMbvXQ4oXz5rQHb3pKkhaxc
Top Donations: juicybirds 420BTCD ensorcell 84BTCD Stuntruffle: 40BTCD
Top April Donations: juicybirds 420BTCD; ensorcell: 42BTCD
MR1
Legendary

Activity: 927

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 01:11:13 PM

The advantages of Open Bazaar over FreeMarket:

1) It`s free to list goods on Open Bazaar while FreeMarket charges sellers
2) You can use multiple crypto currencies on Open Bazaar while on FreeMarket you can use only nxt.

bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 03:19:46 PM

How anonymous or not is Freemarket vs OpenBazaar?

I was very disappointed to read that in order to sell something on OpenBazaar, you have to set up a node and keep it running all the time.  If your node goes offline, so do your item listings apparently:

http://forum.openbazaar.org/index.php?p=/discussion/105/need-a-permanent-node-to-set-up-a-store

That seems like a potentially huge privacy/security hole and it's not what I'd considered decentralized.

I think soon a lot of coins will have decentralized market places.. I could name a few that aren't being discussed in this thread.

Which are there besides OpenBazaar and FreeMarket?
poofknuckle

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 03:50:06 PM

The web interface was made by that same user. The core devs didn't make it.

bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 03:55:31 PM

The web interface was made by that same user. The core devs didn't make it.

Doesn't the core FreeMarket interface work via a browser pointed to localhost like NRS does?  If so, that's a web interface.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: