Author Topic: :  (Read 12672 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 07:36:20 PM

Suckers Smiley

It's s short-term phenomenon. But if you can't call it in the short term how can you expect to call it in the long term?

petty details... Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
miscreanity
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 08:24:51 PM

It's s short-term phenomenon. But if you can't call it in the short term how can you expect to call it in the long term?

Simple: I don't play the short game. It's harder to make short-term calls, but harder to stay the course in the long-term. Traders can go about and make a thousand trades per year. I'd rather make a handful of investments during my entire lifetime and have the same result. Gold is one of those.

No agonizing over every squirrelly price move, no desperate attempts to modify theories on each tick, no obsessing with eyeballs glued to charts. Only a driving vision based on unassailable principles. A better question might be: how can you live life when your emotional attachment to the short-term is exhausting?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 09:04:37 PM

i have a solution...only analyze yearly bar charts like silverbox.  then you won't have to deal with a noticeable trend change for at least a few years.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 09:05:27 PM

i have a solution...only analyze yearly bar charts like silverbox.  then you won't have to deal with a noticeable trend change for at least a couple of years.

+1

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
miscreanity
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 11:05:05 PM

i have a solution...only analyze yearly bar charts like silverbox.  then you won't have to deal with a noticeable trend change for at least a few years.

Looking at real-time data helps to confirm the mechanism that produces long-term patterns. It's like sifting through LHC data and finding correlations with theories in cosmology. The thing is, we don't have a chance of directly operating consistently at such a rapid pace, but it's very easy to front run events that occur far more slowly. Patience is the greatest virtue, after all.
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 11:09:00 PM

Big Ben is saddling up his white horse right now..  Look at all that extra value the dollar has packed on the last year, time to trim the fat..
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 11:34:48 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2012, 12:14:05 AM by cypherdoc

Looking at real-time data helps to confirm the mechanism that produces long-term patterns. It's like sifting through LHC data and finding correlations with theories in cosmology. The thing is, we don't have a chance of directly operating consistently at such a rapid pace, but it's very easy to front run events that occur far more slowly. Patience is the greatest virtue, after all.

Big Ben is saddling up his white horse right now..  Look at all that extra value the dollar has packed on the last year, time to trim the fat..

The Keynesian's speak!
notme
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 12:04:19 AM

Big Ben is saddling up his white horse right now..  Look at all that extra value the dollar has packed on the last year, time to trim the fat..

The Keynesian's speak!

But what happens when they use all the dollars to buy future dollars?

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 12:15:12 AM

The Keynesian's speak!

But what happens when they use all the dollars to buy future dollars?

that's like saying i'm going to use the next QE to short gold.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 12:20:58 AM

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 04:13:04 PM

DXY 83.83

still whistlin'.
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:02:03 PM

It's only a matter of time! I think it's inevitable at this point.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 08:43:39 PM

I hadn't taken that into account and I think it's a good point.

However, I still believe the FED will eventually decide on QE3 somewhere down the line. I think this recession is just getting started. What are your thoughts? I'd also be interested in reading any articles you would suggest.

Thanks!

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 06:39:14 PM

The Fed didn't ease Smiley.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 08:14:23 PM

There is no reason to. QE is a tool to address problems with liquidity. There are no problems with liquidity.

this is true.  there ARE problems with solvency however.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 05:50:46 AM

I believe cypherdoc speaks about FRS's solvency.  Grin

Frisch's Restaurants or Family Radio Service?

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 06:16:37 AM

There is no reason to. QE is a tool to address problems with liquidity. There are no problems with liquidity.

this is true.  there ARE problems with solvency however.

QE doesn't address solvency problems.

It doesn't? Please explain.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
miscreanity
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 06:53:43 AM

It's basically assets vs. liabilities. If your assets (income) are greater than your liabilities (expenses), you're fine. The other way around, though - not so good.

Let's say I run a bank, and my reserve is 10% of total assets. As with any business, I have cyclical expenses including employees, property costs, shareholder dividends, etc. To make things easy, let's say that the annual expenses are equivalent to 10% of total assets.

I have 90% of total assets to work with, so I make 9 loans at 10% each. Every one of the loans returns 2% annually for an 18% total return. This means that the bank will be running at break-even if 4 of the loans default and cannot make payments. There may be costs involved with recovering the principal capital which could turn a defaulted loan into a net loss, but let's just assume 5 of the loans have defaulted. In that situation, there is now an annual shortfall of 20% (the 2% out of 10% total asset value necessary to keep the lights on). The reserve now has to be dipped into in order to make up the difference.

What liquidity injections attempt to do is recapitalize the banks to a point where the assets are greater than the liabilities again. However, liquidity cannot make defaulted loans profitable again. Instead of helping directly, liquidity can simply flood the banks and allow them to stay afloat until there are worthwhile loan applicants that aren't likely to fail in repayment. The problem is that there's a very large percentage of defaults, like a swimming pool with dozens of big cracks - pouring water in like liquidity injections just winds up flowing out almost as quickly.

The really dangerous part for the banks comes from any shift away from them as a primary source of business. If the banks start losing potential customers (to Bitcoin!), the solvency problem gets even worse, requiring bigger liquidity injections than before. Since most governments are highly dependent upon the banks, there's an extreme incentive to keep them alive. Without the ability to create productive clients for the banks and fix the solvency issue, and no money or insufficient cashflow (tax revenue) to pump into the banks, let alone keep the government itself going, the only option is to generate funny money and distribute that until nobody wants it anymore.

You can think of buggy whip makers for an easier analogy. If everyone has switched to using horseless carriages and no longer need whips, it doesn't matter how many whips you make - you're going out of business. Economists can be a mind-boggling contradiction with their ability at being intelligently stupid.

That went a little further than solvency, but the cascading effect is important too. And this highlights the especially dangerous nature of Bitcoin and gold for the banks in the current situation Smiley
notme
Legendary

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:12:57 AM

I believe cypherdoc speaks about FRS's solvency.  Grin

Frisch's Restaurants or Family Radio Service?
No,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve_System  Tongue

Okay... Haven't heard that acronym before and google was no help.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 12:21:09 PM

It's basically assets vs. liabilities. If your assets (income) are greater than your liabilities (expenses), you're fine. The other way around, though - not so good.

Let's say I run a bank, and my reserve is 10% of total assets. As with any business, I have cyclical expenses including employees, property costs, shareholder dividends, etc. To make things easy, let's say that the annual expenses are equivalent to 10% of total assets.

I have 90% of total assets to work with, so I make 9 loans at 10% each. Every one of the loans returns 2% annually for an 18% total return. This means that the bank will be running at break-even if 4 of the loans default and cannot make payments. There may be costs involved with recovering the principal capital which could turn a defaulted loan into a net loss, but let's just assume 5 of the loans have defaulted. In that situation, there is now an annual shortfall of 20% (the 2% out of 10% total asset value necessary to keep the lights on). The reserve now has to be dipped into in order to make up the difference.

What liquidity injections attempt to do is recapitalize the banks to a point where the assets are greater than the liabilities again. However, liquidity cannot make defaulted loans profitable again. Instead of helping directly, liquidity can simply flood the banks and allow them to stay afloat until there are worthwhile loan applicants that aren't likely to fail in repayment. The problem is that there's a very large percentage of defaults, like a swimming pool with dozens of big cracks - pouring water in like liquidity injections just winds up flowing out almost as quickly.

The really dangerous part for the banks comes from any shift away from them as a primary source of business. If the banks start losing potential customers (to Bitcoin!), the solvency problem gets even worse, requiring bigger liquidity injections than before. Since most governments are highly dependent upon the banks, there's an extreme incentive to keep them alive. Without the ability to create productive clients for the banks and fix the solvency issue, and no money or insufficient cashflow (tax revenue) to pump into the banks, let alone keep the government itself going, the only option is to generate funny money and distribute that until nobody wants it anymore.

You can think of buggy whip makers for an easier analogy. If everyone has switched to using horseless carriages and no longer need whips, it doesn't matter how many whips you make - you're going out of business. Economists can be a mind-boggling contradiction with their ability at being intelligently stupid.

That went a little further than solvency, but the cascading effect is important too. And this highlights the especially dangerous nature of Bitcoin and gold for the banks in the current situation Smiley

Thanks for your explanation, miscreanity.

Why doesn't the fed give the money to the people unable to repay their loans instead of propping up their balance sheets with it? Would that fix the solvency problem? Probably not, right, because you can't borrow yourself out of a debt problem.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: