Bitcoin Forum
December 05, 2016, 10:43:41 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions?  (Read 172172 times)
ranochigo
Legendary

Activity: 910

Anonymous bitcoin mixer

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2015, 02:44:35 PM

Bitcoin wallets are protected with passwords for more security, you can even take a backup of your wallet in .dat format if you ever need it. But, a problem can arrive if you lost the password.
Hopefully,  you don't actually need to worry much as there are some scripts which you can perform on your PC which can take out the password from .dat file. This can save your wallet and your life actually, simple googling will get you many of these scripts.
But, it is recommended that you always remember your wallet password for being hassle free.
Definitely not the case if your password is secure enough. If you remember parts of your password, it would be easier to bruteforce as it can change less variables. If you don't remember your password and it gets easily bruteforced (when using a dictionary of commonly used passwords/bruteforcing randomly), you are better with no password. You can store your password in a more secure place.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Legendary

Activity: 1078

ALL escrow is signed! https://keybase.io/verify

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2015, 08:19:26 PM

-snip-
you don't actually need to worry much as there are some scripts which you can perform on your PC which can take out the password from .dat file.
-snip-

Its not as easy as you might think.

Lets say you have a good randomly generated password with 6 alphanumerical symbols [a-z,A-Z,0-9] and remember nothing about it. Thats 862 possible combinations. With 1600 passwords checked per second (its roughly what my GPU does on bitcoin core wallet files) it would take 1.9*1045 years to crack the password. Testing a few million passwords is no problem though, but you will have to remember a lot about your password to get there.

marbu1022

Activity: 51

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 03:35:48 AM

-snip-
you don't actually need to worry much as there are some scripts which you can perform on your PC which can take out the password from .dat file.
-snip-

Its not as easy as you might think.

Lets say you have a good randomly generated password with 6 alphanumerical symbols [a-z,A-Z,0-9] and remember nothing about it. Thats 862 possible combinations. With 1600 passwords checked per second (its roughly what my GPU does on bitcoin core wallet files) it would take 1.9*1045 years to crack the password. Testing a few million passwords is no problem though, but you will have to remember a lot about your password to get there.

You can´t check 1600 passwords a second, sorry to dissapoint you. Most properly written encryption software will allow 1 per second if the iterations are set high. In your case, you may need the help of a professional. If you had a passphrase with a high bit rate you are going to have to remember a good portion of your password, and then a script can be written to attack it. Again though, if the encryption for the wallet was written propertly, you may only be able to try 1 password per second. I used a script written by someone else to crack my LUKS encryption password to a flashdrive. I knew what the pw was. just didn´t know what symbols I added to the beginning and end. I was able to incorporate the symbols I thought were used in the script and after several days i got it. however, i knew most of the passphrase. LUKS encryption only allows you to try 1 password per second because of high iterations.

The other option may be to try to do a forensic search to see if the password was cached somewhere? This is unlikely however, as good encryption software prevents this from happening.
shorena
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 09:12:58 AM

-snip-
You can´t check 1600 passwords a second, sorry to dissapoint you.

Its not an estimate. Btcrecover[1] achives ~1.68kP/s on my GPU (GTX 970) vs. bitcoin core wallet files. I cant get it to work with UTF encoding, which slows it down significantly for certain passwords, but that might just be a problem on my end. The CPU (4th gen i5) does ~360kP/s vs. multibit key files (no GPU support) using the same set of tools. Things like the saber cluster[2] will rip weak passwords a new one and thats a "cheap" 1 year old cluster.

Most properly written encryption software will allow 1 per second if the iterations are set high. In your case, you may need the help of a professional. If you had a passphrase with a high bit rate you are going to have to remember a good portion of your password, and then a script can be written to attack it. Again though, if the encryption for the wallet was written propertly, you may only be able to try 1 password per second. I used a script written by someone else to crack my LUKS encryption password to a flashdrive. I knew what the pw was. just didn´t know what symbols I added to the beginning and end. I was able to incorporate the symbols I thought were used in the script and after several days i got it. however, i knew most of the passphrase. LUKS encryption only allows you to try 1 password per second because of high iterations.

Yes its possible to crank up the number of rounds to slow things down or even use a nested scheme of several encryption mechanisms like e.g. VeraCrypt or TrueCrypt, however most bitcoin wallets dont seem to use it to an extent that it slows attacks down to 1 try per second.

IIRC bitcoin core sets the number of rounds when creating the wallet for the first time. Its aiming at 1 attempt per second per core when it does it by itself. Its however possible to attack the wallet.dat directly or rather a certain string from it and not use core for it which can speed things up even on a CPU.

Just give btcrecover a try.

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover
[2] http://blog.cr.yp.to/20140602-saber.html

uuh

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 11, 2015, 01:38:36 AM

What is the
1. btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt
2. tokens.txt

Cannot find btcrecover.py
I look every folder inside btcrecover-master.
No btcrecover.py
I understand inside btcrecover-master are Python script file called btcrecover.py,but cannot find it?
So where I put wallet.dat and I think tokens.txt
Very confused.

BTC 1KNxTij6FFN2Y7HrpPXTGxz79zWsP6ZKgk
shorena
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2015, 08:09:22 AM

What is the
2. tokens.txt

No btcrecover.py
I understand inside btcrecover-master are Python script file called btcrecover.py,but cannot find it?
Very confused.

You need to create the token file for your case. Its explained here[1]. The wallet file and the token can be anywhere, but its easiest if they are just in the same folder with the btcrecover.py file.

If you download the .zip file from git and extract it the file is in the main folder. The same folder contains a TUTORIAL.md and a README.md.

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#the-token-file

uuh

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 06:10:38 PM

What is the
2. tokens.txt

No btcrecover.py
Very confused.

You need to create the token file for your case. Its explained here[1]. The wallet file and the token can be anywhere, but its easiest if they are just in the same folder with the btcrecover.py file.

If you download the .zip file from git and extract it the file is in the main folder. The same folder contains a TUTORIAL.md and a README.md.

I did it, but nothing starts. Nothing. Also I have problem with pyopencl download. In that Guide given web page  download , takes to Pytonxy download page and there have not the PyOpenCL download exe. So how and where to download?
I have TeamViewer and my E-Mail is: x58x58@gmail.com . I am always at computer. IF somebody looks over TeamViewer what I do wrong? Please help!

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#the-token-file

shorena
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 05:05:51 PM

-snip-
I did it, but nothing starts. Nothing.

What exactly do you do?

Also I have problem with pyopencl download. In that Guide given web page  download , takes to Pytonxy download page and there have not the PyOpenCL download exe. So how and where to download?
I have TeamViewer and my E-Mail is: x58x58@gmail.com . I am always at computer. IF somebody looks over TeamViewer what I do wrong? Please help!

Pythonxy is here now -> https://python-xy.github.io/downloads.html

uuh

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 07:02:15 PM

-snip-
I did it, but nothing starts. Nothing.

What exactly do you do? I did exacly like this tutorial say's

] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#the-token-file

Do anybody knows where do download PyOpenCL Do we need Pythonxy ?
I also did downloads for Linux Ubuntu, Downloads go smootly, but in end, do anybody knows how do use Pyhton Terminal.
So, right now have problems on Windows and Linux.
I think if find and download windows  PyOpenCL, it will start and work and if find how give orders to Pyhton Terminal , it will work too. So, Anybody?Huh?

uuh

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 04:58:48 AM

About five years ago I had in Bitcoin Wallet 12 BTC and I bought it $ 5 for each. I was keeping Encrypted password in Extrenal HD.
Then Extrenal HD crash and I lost password. I was using that time Dell Inspiration 1750 and weeks later crash Screen. I was calculating and not buy new Screen, but instead buy new computer. Dell was work if I hooked up extrenl screen. I bought new computer and Dell computer I put storage.
So, I have encrypted 16 numbers and letters lost password, but what I know is 10 password letters and numbers. 5 missing.
 Now I am at forum and try to put work brutal btcrecover, but at this point non working yet.
So I make offer.
If somebody help set up in my computer brutal btcrecover from A to B in WINDOWS, I WILL pay half bitcoin. If helping setup LINUX, I pay half bitcoin. If set up both  I will pay 1 bitcoin

Option 2
I sell Wallet.dat where is 12 BTC and all password information for 1 BTC or best offer.

GoldTiger69

Activity: 415

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 01:04:19 AM

About five years ago I had in Bitcoin Wallet 12 BTC and I bought it $ 5 for each. I was keeping Encrypted password in Extrenal HD.
Then Extrenal HD crash and I lost password. I was using that time Dell Inspiration 1750 and weeks later crash Screen. I was calculating and not buy new Screen, but instead buy new computer. Dell was work if I hooked up extrenl screen. I bought new computer and Dell computer I put storage.
So, I have encrypted 16 numbers and letters lost password, but what I know is 10 password letters and numbers. 5 missing.
 Now I am at forum and try to put work brutal btcrecover, but at this point non working yet.
So I make offer.
If somebody help set up in my computer brutal btcrecover from A to B in WINDOWS, I WILL pay half bitcoin. If helping setup LINUX, I pay half bitcoin. If set up both  I will pay 1 bitcoin

Option 2
I sell Wallet.dat where is 12 BTC and all password information for 1 BTC or best offer.

Can I PM you?

I can help you to restore/recover your wallet or password.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1234619.0
uuh

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 10:11:24 AM

So I make offer.

Option 2

Don't know what mean PM?
Can I PM you?

uuh

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:00:06 PM

I am interested  lean, how do use btcrecover to recover Bitcoin myself or not recover. Everything are in hands of god.
 All I am asking is help set up bcdrecovr software and I will pay for that.
One man promises and now he gone and quiet.
 3-4 years ago I bought lot of BTC's and now I am early retired and have lot of time, so HELP needed.
Please contact me over E-Mail:   x58x58@gmail.com

vortexz

Activity: 798

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:12:28 PM

I can help you with your password, I PMed you

uuh

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 03:39:58 PM

If you can help me with my password, then send me 1 Bitcoin and keep all 12 BTC yourself.
Good Deel.....

shorena
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 04:25:24 PM

If you can help me with my password, then send me 1 Bitcoin and keep all 12 BTC yourself.
Good Deel.....

Its called "too good to be true"

GoldTiger69

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 08:55:35 PM

Good Deel.....

Ok, if I put the 1 BTC on escrow, and after making sure that your wallet indeed have the 12 BTC that you say; then escrow will release the 1 BTC to you, deal?

The other option: send me your wallet, with whatever you think your password could be, and after I find the correct password and open the wallet, I'll keep 20% of it and send you the rest.

shorena
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 08:57:59 PM

Good Deel.....

Ok, if I put the 1 BTC on escrow, and after making sure that your wallet indeed have the 12 BTC that you say; then escrow will release the 1 BTC to you, deal?

How do you make sure they dont spend the 12 BTC after 1 BTC was released by escrow?

GoldTiger69

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 08:59:40 PM

Good Deel.....

How do you make sure they dont spend the 12 BTC after 1 BTC was released by escrow?

I will only be sure after I open the wallet and transfer the BTC to my wallet Wink

uuh

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 02:24:28 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]

I will only be sure after I open the wallet and transfer the BTC to my wallet Wink

I don't know what mean  Escrow and don't understand what you say?
What I want is : You send me 1 BTC and I will send you wallet.dat  , where located 12 BTC and also all I know about that encrypted password. For me was costing this 12 BTC only $ 60, so I will have profit already if you send me 1 btc. So lets do it! This is win win situation.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.