Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:13:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions?  (Read 213393 times)
marbu1022

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2015, 03:35:48 AM
Last edit: November 05, 2015, 03:48:34 AM by marbu1022

-snip-
you don't actually need to worry much as there are some scripts which you can perform on your PC which can take out the password from .dat file.
-snip-

Its not as easy as you might think.

Lets say you have a good randomly generated password with 6 alphanumerical symbols [a-z,A-Z,0-9] and remember nothing about it. Thats 862 possible combinations. With 1600 passwords checked per second (its roughly what my GPU does on bitcoin core wallet files) it would take 1.9*1045 years to crack the password. Testing a few million passwords is no problem though, but you will have to remember a lot about your password to get there.

You can´t check 1600 passwords a second, sorry to dissapoint you. Most properly written encryption software will allow 1 per second if the iterations are set high. In your case, you may need the help of a professional. If you had a passphrase with a high bit rate you are going to have to remember a good portion of your password, and then a script can be written to attack it. Again though, if the encryption for the wallet was written propertly, you may only be able to try 1 password per second. I used a script written by someone else to crack my LUKS encryption password to a flashdrive. I knew what the pw was. just didn´t know what symbols I added to the beginning and end. I was able to incorporate the symbols I thought were used in the script and after several days i got it. however, i knew most of the passphrase. LUKS encryption only allows you to try 1 password per second because of high iterations.

The other option may be to try to do a forensic search to see if the password was cached somewhere? This is unlikely however, as good encryption software prevents this from happening.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2015, 09:12:58 AM

-snip-
You can´t check 1600 passwords a second, sorry to dissapoint you.

Its not an estimate. Btcrecover[1] achives ~1.68kP/s on my GPU (GTX 970) vs. bitcoin core wallet files. I cant get it to work with UTF encoding, which slows it down significantly for certain passwords, but that might just be a problem on my end. The CPU (4th gen i5) does ~360kP/s vs. multibit key files (no GPU support) using the same set of tools. Things like the saber cluster[2] will rip weak passwords a new one and thats a "cheap" 1 year old cluster.

Most properly written encryption software will allow 1 per second if the iterations are set high. In your case, you may need the help of a professional. If you had a passphrase with a high bit rate you are going to have to remember a good portion of your password, and then a script can be written to attack it. Again though, if the encryption for the wallet was written propertly, you may only be able to try 1 password per second. I used a script written by someone else to crack my LUKS encryption password to a flashdrive. I knew what the pw was. just didn´t know what symbols I added to the beginning and end. I was able to incorporate the symbols I thought were used in the script and after several days i got it. however, i knew most of the passphrase. LUKS encryption only allows you to try 1 password per second because of high iterations.

Yes its possible to crank up the number of rounds to slow things down or even use a nested scheme of several encryption mechanisms like e.g. VeraCrypt or TrueCrypt, however most bitcoin wallets dont seem to use it to an extent that it slows attacks down to 1 try per second.

IIRC bitcoin core sets the number of rounds when creating the wallet for the first time. Its aiming at 1 attempt per second per core when it does it by itself. Its however possible to attack the wallet.dat directly or rather a certain string from it and not use core for it which can speed things up even on a CPU.

Just give btcrecover a try.

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover
[2] http://blog.cr.yp.to/20140602-saber.html

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2015, 08:09:22 AM

What is the
1. btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt
2. tokens.txt

Cannot find btcrecover.py
I look every folder inside btcrecover-master.
No btcrecover.py
I understand inside btcrecover-master are Python script file called btcrecover.py,but cannot find it?
So where I put wallet.dat and I think tokens.txt
Very confused.

You need to create the token file for your case. Its explained here[1]. The wallet file and the token can be anywhere, but its easiest if they are just in the same folder with the btcrecover.py file.

If you download the .zip file from git and extract it the file is in the main folder. The same folder contains a TUTORIAL.md and a README.md.

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#the-token-file

uuh

Activity: 15

View Profile
November 12, 2015, 06:10:38 PM

What is the
1. btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt
2. tokens.txt

Cannot find btcrecover.py
I look every folder inside btcrecover-master.
No btcrecover.py
I understand inside btcrecover-master are Python script file called btcrecover.py,but cannot find it?
So where I put wallet.dat and I think tokens.txt
Very confused.

You need to create the token file for your case. Its explained here[1]. The wallet file and the token can be anywhere, but its easiest if they are just in the same folder with the btcrecover.py file.

If you download the .zip file from git and extract it the file is in the main folder. The same folder contains a TUTORIAL.md and a README.md.

I did it, but nothing starts. Nothing. Also I have problem with pyopencl download. In that Guide given web page  download , takes to Pytonxy download page and there have not the PyOpenCL download exe. So how and where to download?
I have TeamViewer and my E-Mail is: x58x58@gmail.com . I am always at computer. IF somebody looks over TeamViewer what I do wrong? Please help!

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#the-token-file
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2015, 05:05:51 PM

-snip-
I did it, but nothing starts. Nothing.

What exactly do you do?

Also I have problem with pyopencl download. In that Guide given web page  download , takes to Pytonxy download page and there have not the PyOpenCL download exe. So how and where to download?
I have TeamViewer and my E-Mail is: x58x58@gmail.com . I am always at computer. IF somebody looks over TeamViewer what I do wrong? Please help!

Pythonxy is here now -> https://python-xy.github.io/downloads.html

uuh

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 07:02:15 PM

-snip-
I did it, but nothing starts. Nothing.

What exactly do you do? I did exacly like this tutorial say's

] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#the-token-file

Do anybody knows where do download PyOpenCL Do we need Pythonxy ?
I also did downloads for Linux Ubuntu, Downloads go smootly, but in end, do anybody knows how do use Pyhton Terminal.
So, right now have problems on Windows and Linux.
I think if find and download windows  PyOpenCL, it will start and work and if find how give orders to Pyhton Terminal , it will work too. So, Anybody?Huh?

uuh

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 04:58:48 AM

About five years ago I had in Bitcoin Wallet 12 BTC and I bought it $ 5 for each. I was keeping Encrypted password in Extrenal HD.
Then Extrenal HD crash and I lost password. I was using that time Dell Inspiration 1750 and weeks later crash Screen. I was calculating and not buy new Screen, but instead buy new computer. Dell was work if I hooked up extrenl screen. I bought new computer and Dell computer I put storage.
So, I have encrypted 16 numbers and letters lost password, but what I know is 10 password letters and numbers. 5 missing.
 Now I am at forum and try to put work brutal btcrecover, but at this point non working yet.
So I make offer.
If somebody help set up in my computer brutal btcrecover from A to B in WINDOWS, I WILL pay half bitcoin. If helping setup LINUX, I pay half bitcoin. If set up both  I will pay 1 bitcoin

Option 2
I sell Wallet.dat where is 12 BTC and all password information for 1 BTC or best offer.
GoldTiger69

Activity: 582
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2015, 01:04:19 AM

About five years ago I had in Bitcoin Wallet 12 BTC and I bought it $ 5 for each. I was keeping Encrypted password in Extrenal HD.
Then Extrenal HD crash and I lost password. I was using that time Dell Inspiration 1750 and weeks later crash Screen. I was calculating and not buy new Screen, but instead buy new computer. Dell was work if I hooked up extrenl screen. I bought new computer and Dell computer I put storage.
So, I have encrypted 16 numbers and letters lost password, but what I know is 10 password letters and numbers. 5 missing.
 Now I am at forum and try to put work brutal btcrecover, but at this point non working yet.
So I make offer.
If somebody help set up in my computer brutal btcrecover from A to B in WINDOWS, I WILL pay half bitcoin. If helping setup LINUX, I pay half bitcoin. If set up both  I will pay 1 bitcoin

Option 2
I sell Wallet.dat where is 12 BTC and all password information for 1 BTC or best offer.

Can I PM you?

I can help you to restore/recover your wallet or password.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1234619.0
uuh

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 10:11:24 AM

So I make offer.

Option 2

Don't know what mean PM?
Can I PM you?
uuh

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:00:06 PM

I am interested  lean, how do use btcrecover to recover Bitcoin myself or not recover. Everything are in hands of god.
 All I am asking is help set up bcdrecovr software and I will pay for that.
One man promises and now he gone and quiet.
 3-4 years ago I bought lot of BTC's and now I am early retired and have lot of time, so HELP needed.
Please contact me over E-Mail:   x58x58@gmail.com

vortexz
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 12:12:28 PM

I can help you with your password, I PMed you
uuh

View Profile
November 23, 2015, 03:39:58 PM

If you can help me with my password, then send me 1 Bitcoin and keep all 12 BTC yourself.
Good Deel.....
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 04:25:24 PM

If you can help me with my password, then send me 1 Bitcoin and keep all 12 BTC yourself.
Good Deel.....

Its called "too good to be true"

GoldTiger69

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 08:55:35 PM

Good Deel.....

Ok, if I put the 1 BTC on escrow, and after making sure that your wallet indeed have the 12 BTC that you say; then escrow will release the 1 BTC to you, deal?

The other option: send me your wallet, with whatever you think your password could be, and after I find the correct password and open the wallet, I'll keep 20% of it and send you the rest.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 08:57:59 PM

Good Deel.....

Ok, if I put the 1 BTC on escrow, and after making sure that your wallet indeed have the 12 BTC that you say; then escrow will release the 1 BTC to you, deal?

How do you make sure they dont spend the 12 BTC after 1 BTC was released by escrow?

GoldTiger69

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2015, 08:59:40 PM

Good Deel.....

How do you make sure they dont spend the 12 BTC after 1 BTC was released by escrow?

I will only be sure after I open the wallet and transfer the BTC to my wallet Wink

uuh

View Profile
November 24, 2015, 02:24:28 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]

I will only be sure after I open the wallet and transfer the BTC to my wallet Wink

I don't know what mean  Escrow and don't understand what you say?
What I want is : You send me 1 BTC and I will send you wallet.dat  , where located 12 BTC and also all I know about that encrypted password. For me was costing this 12 BTC only $ 60, so I will have profit already if you send me 1 btc. So lets do it! This is win win situation.
GoldTiger69

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2015, 03:04:48 PM

I don't know what mean  Escrow and don't understand what you say?
What I want is : You send me 1 BTC and I will send you wallet.dat  , where located 12 BTC and also all I know about that encrypted password. For me was costing this 12 BTC only $ 60, so I will have profit already if you send me 1 btc. So lets do it! This is win win situation.

The only problem with that is the risk of your wallet being empty. Will you do it the other way around? Will you send me the wallet.dat with all you know about the password, and then I will send you the 1 BTC?

uuh

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 10:11:15 PM

The only problem with that is the risk of your wallet being empty. Will you do it the other way around? Will you send me the wallet.dat with all you know about the password, and then I will send you the 1 BTC?

I am tired at this bull sh talk. You just living paycheck to paycheck and have not money for 1 BTC.
There always be some one who are serious and want do good deal. So knock off your Bla bla bla talk and I will be a round and wait who have that little money to invest and take good profit from it.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2015, 10:18:02 PM

-snip-
I am tired at this bull sh talk. You just living paycheck to paycheck and have not money for 1 BTC.
There always be some one who are serious and want do good deal. So knock off your Bla bla bla talk and I will be a round and wait who have that little money to invest and take good profit from it.

Yep that must be it. Its impossible that its that you are

#1 a newbie account that can easily fanish without any consequences
#2 unable or unwilling to go an inch out of your way to make a deal happen
#3 unable or unwilling to accept commonly accepted help
#4 unable or unwilling to even show an address or otherwise prove that you own the claimed amount in the past.

Just go back to grinding faucets[1], no one here is stupid enough to fall for your attempts.

[1] https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/address/1KNxTij6FFN2Y7HrpPXTGxz79zWsP6ZKgk

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: