Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:13:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions?  (Read 213384 times)
ltpenguin

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 04:34:01 PM

I need the script to generate a password that must contain  6 and 7 within the parameters already set, if someone could help me modify the script that would be great Cheesy
i.e: it would generate
PASSWORD63427
PASSWORD364734

It would always contain 6,7 within the numbers and have the ability to have 6 and 7 more than once

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ruby

middle = "PASSWORD"           # The known part in the middle
min_right = 3                  # The minimum number of chars on the left
max_right = 6                  # The maximum number of chars on the left
max_total = 6                 # The max total unknowns
chars = '456789'.chars.to_a # Possible chars to choose from
#chars << '\\'                 # ... plus backslash
#chars << "'"                  # ... plus single quote

def test(phrase)
  print phrase, "\t"
  system("./litecoind", "walletpassphrase", phrase, "20")
  case $?.exitstatus
  when 0
    puts "Found it! #{phrase}"
    exit 0
  when 127
    puts "bitcoind not found in current dir"
    exit 1
  when nil
    puts "Aborting"
    exit 1
  end
end

(1..max_total).each do |length|
  chars.repeated_permutation(length) do |str|
    max_offset = [max_right, length].min
    (min_right..max_offset).each do |offset|
      right = str.join[0,offset]
      left = str.join[offset,99] || ""
      test(middle + right)
    end
  end

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 05:50:37 PM

I need the script to generate a password that must contain  6 and 7 within the parameters already set, if someone could help me modify the script that would be great Cheesy
i.e: it would generate
PASSWORD63427
PASSWORD364734

If nobody has offered up a modified ruby script yet, I can offer a python script instead...

Instructions: download the scripts from here: btcrecover download. These are Python scripts, so you also need to install Python, instructions are here: Installation requirements for Bitcoin-qt wallets. You just need Python, the other two libraries are optional for Bitcoin-qt.

Just to make sure that I understand, you need something that:
  • Always starts with PASSWORD
  • Ends with between 3 and 6 digits
  • Of those digits, must contain at least one 6 and one 7 (and possibly more)
If that's correct, then create a file with Notepad named exactly "btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt" that contains this:

Code:
#--pause --wallet wallet.dat --autosave progress.sav

# Starts with PASSWORD (required)
+ ^PASSWORD

# Has at least one 6, one 7, and one other digit (required)
+ 6
+ 7
+ %d

# Has up to three other digits (not required)
%d
%d
%d

After unzipping the btcrecover scripts, place the btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt file and a copy of your wallet.dat into the same folder as btcrecover.py and double-click btcrecover.py.

Of course, it's in your best interest to be paranoid: you may want to do all this inside a VM that has no Internet connection, or you may want to unplug your Internet connection while the script is running. If you're really paranoid, you can also take a look at this: extract-mkey README.

Good luck!
ltpenguin

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 07:53:32 PM

this works on a ltc wallet as well? Also thanks for the help Smiley
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2014, 11:45:55 PM

this works on a ltc wallet as well? Also thanks for the help Smiley

Yes, it'll work with Litecoin-Qt wallets too, thanks to the fact that they use the same wallet container (BerkeleyDB) and mkey formats. I updated the docs.
ltpenguin

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 03:26:57 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2014, 03:43:07 PM by ltpenguin

Yes, it'll work with Litecoin-Qt wallets too, thanks to the fact that they use the same wallet container (BerkeleyDB) and mkey formats. I updated the docs.

Thanks for the script but i had no luck Sad could you possibly help me with making it generate 4-7 digits all ranging between 4-8?
telepatheic

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:01:04 PM

4-7 digits ranging from 4-8 would be implemented as follows:

Code:
%4,7[4-8]
Heli42

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 04:28:41 PM

Dear Guys,

first, good work in this thread. Since 2 Month i have the same problem like forgot details of my passphrase.
I try to write my own modified code for generating a password list with ruby and use this list with john the ripper.

i used 2 sentence from the Book "Lord of the Rings" and copy & paste to the passphrase of my wallet and/or i forgot simply to mark some character of the right or left side...

much thank to you guys, i solved this 5min ago Cheesy It was a space character and some line breaks!!!! god, this takes nerves    

martin  Smiley    
Soulpowered

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 05:06:16 PM

Dear Guys,

first, good work in this thread. Since 2 Month i have the same problem like forgot details of my passphrase.
I try to write my own modified code for generating a password list with ruby and use this list with john the ripper.

i used 2 sentence from the Book "Lord of the Rings" and copy & paste to the passphrase of my wallet and/or i forgot simply to mark some character of the right or left side...

much thank to you guys, i solved this 5min ago Cheesy It was a space character and some line breaks!!!! god, this takes nerves    

martin  Smiley    

Shall we prepare an Elven wordlist for the next time? Cheesy
nbtscan

View Profile
May 05, 2014, 09:30:35 AM

For everyone asking about Multibit: Sorry, I don't have time to write an interface for it right now.  If someone creates a command line or JSON-RPC API I can use to test a password I'll be happy to plug my script into it.

Here is the JSON-RPC for recovering Multibit passwords.
This in only for Multibit, i'm working on Armory as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71434563/rpc-service.jar
hanoosh

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

LION Devloper, Graphics Designer!

View Profile
May 06, 2014, 03:04:26 AM

is there any script to do random password ? or any .bat file that can try every letter,number,symbol for 8 char password ?

For any Graphics Design PM me Wink
LION https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649055
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2014, 12:54:59 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2014, 02:38:20 AM by btchris

is there any script to do random password ? or any .bat file that can try every letter,number,symbol for 8 char password ?

No... there are just too many, sorry...

Even if we leave out all non-US-ASCII letters, there are about 95 characters to choose from. That comes out to 6.6 quadrillion password permutations. Let's say you bought 4 of these (assuming it's a real product, I frankly have no idea...) for about $25,000 (USD) total, hired a software engineer to write custom software to use them for password searching instead of mining (maybe another 25-50k ??), paid for electricity and cooling (another 15k or so), then it would probably take less than 6 months to try all of them. Or you could use your home PC with mostly off-the-shelf software and be done in perhaps just 200,000 years, take your pick....  Sad

edited to add: sorry if I came off as snarky... I should have tried actually being helpful instead, like DannyHamilton has graciously done.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 4570

View Profile
May 07, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

It would be better if you could remember some things about the password that would reduce the number of possibilities you need to try.

• Is it all uppercase letters?
  • Is it all lowercase letters?
  • If only some of the letters are uppercase, do you remember how many?
  • If only some of the letters are uppercase, do you remember which ones? (first character, last character, only vowels, only consonants, etc)
  • Are there any numbers?
  • How many numbers?
  • Do you remember the position of the numbers?
  • Are there any symbols?
  • How many symbols?
  • Do you remember the position of the symbols?
  • Are there any real words (even misspelled ones)?

The more details you can remember about the password, the fewer possibilities that need to be attempted, and the more likely that a custom program can be written to help you.
mrflibblehat

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 10, 2014, 06:47:00 AM

Do you remember anything about the passphrase at all, I may be able to help you. roughly how many characters long it was? what it started with? or ended with?

Regards,

MrF

clochard

Activity: 99

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 06:47:33 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2014, 07:14:12 PM by clochard

Hey guys,

I have a new pc, my old one was not working anymore and I installed Bitcoin Client to restore my bitcoins from the wallet from the other computer. I made a back-up last year around December. The old wallet was encrypted with a password that I have used multiple times, I have written down and I am 100% is correct.

Edit: there is one thing I should also mention and I am not sure if it is related to this. The last time I tried to open my bitcoin client in the old computer I received a blockchain error: database corrupted.

I tried to send my Bitcoins today from my Bitcoin client to electrum, and it requested a password.

When I installed the new Bitcoin client however, I felt a bit insecure and put a new password on it. I typed it twice and wrote it down and I am pretty sure also this password is correct. The coins and transactions showed up however.

Today when I was going to transfer the coins, I was confused which password I had to use: the old one, or the new one? So I have tried them both multiple times, but the Bitcoin client keeps repeating that it is the wrong password.

What is happening here? Both passwords I am more than 100% certain about.

I have done already the following things:

- Changing the name of the wallet.dat to wallet1.dat and putting the old back-up wallet.dat in the same folder, restarting Bitcoin client and attempting to make a transfer. I put the password, but again wrong...
- Trying variations on the passwords, with capital letters, without, etc.

I could still try desintalling Bitcoin client from this pc, delete all folders including the wallet.dat, install Bitcoin client again and putting there the old wallet.dat, without encrypting the new wallet with a new password. I am not sure if this is supposed to work?

Are there any other options to solve this issue? Luckily, I have written down the password at the time I made it (and used it some times), so even if there is a typo somewhere it should be something very close to what I wrote.

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Best,

Clochard
mrflibblehat

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:49:53 PM

Hey guys,

I have a new pc, my old one was not working anymore and I installed Bitcoin Client to restore my bitcoins from the wallet from the other computer. I made a back-up last year around December. The old wallet was encrypted with a password that I have used multiple times, I have written down and I am 100% is correct.

Edit: there is one thing I should also mention and I am not sure if it is related to this. The last time I tried to open my bitcoin client in the old computer I received a blockchain error: database corrupted.

I tried to send my Bitcoins today from my Bitcoin client to electrum, and it requested a password.

When I installed the new Bitcoin client however, I felt a bit insecure and put a new password on it. I typed it twice and wrote it down and I am pretty sure also this password is correct. The coins and transactions showed up however.

Today when I was going to transfer the coins, I was confused which password I had to use: the old one, or the new one? So I have tried them both multiple times, but the Bitcoin client keeps repeating that it is the wrong password.

What is happening here? Both passwords I am more than 100% certain about.

I have done already the following things:

- Changing the name of the wallet.dat to wallet1.dat and putting the old back-up wallet.dat in the same folder, restarting Bitcoin client and attempting to make a transfer. I put the password, but again wrong...
- Trying variations on the passwords, with capital letters, without, etc.

I could still try desintalling Bitcoin client from this pc, delete all folders including the wallet.dat, install Bitcoin client again and putting there the old wallet.dat, without encrypting the new wallet with a new password. I am not sure if this is supposed to work?

Are there any other options to solve this issue? Luckily, I have written down the password at the time I made it (and used it some times), so even if there is a typo somewhere it should be something very close to what I wrote.

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Best,

Clochard

If your pretty sure you know the password you may be one character out, Upper/lower case, you should use Revalin's script. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=85495.msg942017#msg942017)

telepatheic

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:59:16 PM

Did you delete the old wallet.dat file? If not, you can use it to get your coins back and you can set a "new new password"
clochard

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:18:29 PM

Of course I did not Wink The old wallet.dat file is still backed-up on several usb sticks and since no transactions have been done since installing the new wallet, I suppose they should still work.

So I should go for deinstalling Bitcoin client from my pc, delete the new wallet.dat file, download again bitcoin client, deleting that new wallet.dat file as well, putting the old wallet.dat file in that folder and open the bitcoin client?

If I do that, I suppose it will still ask for a password when I want to do a transfer, but this will be my old password isn't it?

And if I am not misstaken, the old password should work like it has always done.

Am I right in these assumptions?

Thanks!

Clochard
telepatheic

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 09:46:38 PM

Of course I did not Wink The old wallet.dat file is still backed-up on several usb sticks and since no transactions have been done since installing the new wallet, I suppose they should still work.

So I should go for deinstalling Bitcoin client from my pc, delete the new wallet.dat file, download again bitcoin client, deleting that new wallet.dat file as well, putting the old wallet.dat file in that folder and open the bitcoin client?

If I do that, I suppose it will still ask for a password when I want to do a transfer, but this will be my old password isn't it?

And if I am not misstaken, the old password should work like it has always done.

Am I right in these assumptions?

Thanks!

Clochard

No need to deinstall the client. Just rename your new wallet as newwallet.dat  and move a backup old wallet named wallet.dat  into the folder. Restart bitcoin-qt and you should be able to use the old password to change the password on the wallet.
clochard

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:24:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. However I already tried that and it did not work. It still said the password was incorrect.

This is really incredibly weird since I have used that password before before I got the 'system error: database corrupt' notification on my old pc. It always worked perfectly and I always had the paper in front of me (with the password) when I typed it.

And now it does not work anymore...
telepatheic

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 10:27:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. However I already tried that and it did not work. It still said the password was incorrect.

This is really incredibly weird since I have used that password before before I got the 'system error: database corrupt' notification on my old pc. It always worked perfectly and I always had the paper in front of me (with the password) when I typed it.

And now it does not work anymore...

OK try installing a fresh copy of bitcoin-qt.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: