Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:41:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will you be a bitcoincard re-transmitters?  (Read 4682 times)
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 04:23:24 AM

I just visited bitcoin bitcoincard.org, and i saw the new pages, go check it out for your self, and please everyone sign up and put your self on the map!

http://bitcoincard.org/earth/

it only takes 2 mins

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 04:29:13 AM

If it's only what, $50 for a node dongle? I'll buy some.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 04:36:03 AM

I hope they market this thing well so it appeals to more then just bitcoiners

its like CB but text and coin, could be a hit!

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 10:48:51 AM

No. Bitcoincard is fascinating for it's flexible board and battery-less functionality for sure, but the requirement for the entire world to build infrastructure around it instead of using what's already there is not only lazy, it's downright unimaginative and asinine.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 10:58:53 AM

If it's only what, $50 for a node dongle? I'll buy some.

Node dongles should cost around $10 to make or less each.  Since the purchaser is paying to build infrastructure and there really is none currently, the dongles should be as close to cost as possible.  Maybe later when they are built out should they attempt to turn the dongle into a profit center.

They should be under $20.

dave3

Activity: 344
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 11:11:20 AM

An outdoor-mountable unit that connects to your local wifi network instead of a USB connection might be nice.  Bonus points if it's solar powered with rechargeable battery.

Otherwise if it's just connected via USB to a computer inside a house/building, I can't imagine range would be very useful.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 11:29:29 AM

but the requirement for the entire world to build infrastructure around it instead of using what's already there is not only lazy, it's downright unimaginative and asinine.
I guess that's what many would say about Bitcoin vs. the traditional banking system. I'm sure Satoshi was just too lazy to open up a Paypal account Wink

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 11:34:20 AM

but the requirement for the entire world to build infrastructure around it instead of using what's already there is not only lazy, it's downright unimaginative and asinine.
I guess that's what many would say about Bitcoin vs. the traditional banking system. I'm sure Satoshi was just too lazy to open up a Paypal account Wink
Bitcoin is inherently different from the traditional banking system. A non-standard radio frequency is simply non-standard and bothersome. All I can say to them is
"good luck with that".

It's important that you know that in their hype-laden video that proclaim that bitcoincard will never need to rely on any kind of infrastructure, but then they ask you to buy a device to act as a repeater for their....infrastructure.  Roll Eyes

Jouke

Activity: 426
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 11:44:50 AM

I just visited bitcoin bitcoincard.org, and i saw the new pages, go check it out for your self, and please everyone sign up and put your self on the map!

it only takes 2 mins

Why would I do that?

Koop en verkoop snel en veilig bitcoins via iDeal op Bitonic.nl
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 11:55:47 AM

Bitcoin is inherently different from the traditional banking system.
I'd argue that a decentralized mesh network with cheap solar power nodes that fit in your wallet is also inherently different from all other traditional networking systems.

A non-standard radio frequency is simply non-standard and bothersome. All I can say to them is "good luck with that".
You'd probably have a very hard time building that kind of network on top of Bluetooth/WiFi/3G - those were designed for completely different purposes.

It's important that you know that in their hype-laden video that proclaim that bitcoincard will never need to rely on any kind of infrastructure, but then they ask you to buy a device to act as a repeater for their....infrastructure.  Roll Eyes
I think they are needed not so much for repeating but to act as the gateways to the Internet and you probably can't do much without gateways, no matter which kind of devices you use.

The publicly available information is probably too sparse to judge them just yet. From what I can tell it definitely looks interesting and in a few days we'll know more. Calling them asinine is just as premature as pre-ordering a thousand cards IMHO.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:03:27 PM

I'd argue that a decentralized mesh network with cheap solar power nodes that fit in your wallet is also inherently different from all other traditional networking systems.
True that. Unfortunately there are way too many inconsistencies in their marketing video itself and reality so we can only go on what they say.

• No recharge required as it works on solar -- so how well does this device function at night? In Alaska during the 30 day long nights?
  • Doesn't rely on supporting infrastructure -- those are their words buddy, not mine. Talk to them about why they claim that. All I know is, ad-hoc doesn't work for the blockchain without a gateway, and people don't buy gateways without those gateways being useful for the owner as well, and a non-standard frequency used only for that device is not enough incentive for most people. Again, "Good luck with that".

The publicly available information is probably too sparse to judge them just yet. From what I can tell it definitely looks interesting and in a few days we'll know more. Calling them asinine is just as premature as pre-ordering a thousand cards IMHO.

True that. Let's wait to see what Charlie and Erik dig up.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:10:14 PM

No.
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:43:36 PM

it only takes 2 mins

Why would I do that?

To increase the value of your Bitcoins. Its that simple.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
istar

Activity: 523

View Profile
June 07, 2012, 12:53:54 PM

From the page: http://bitcoincard.org/movement.php

"If Bitcoin succeeds, it is likely that PayPal and Western Union would be removed from the marketplace. The Federal Reserve (and every central bank) would be made redundant. "Disruptive technology" is thus an understatement. "

Remove this, it will probably not happen in 30-40 years anyway if ever. Its just unnecessary to create enemies, and people are afraid of using technology that threatens the society the are used to and believe, works.

Bitcoins - Because we should not pay to use our money
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2012, 12:56:08 PM

Agree. Some people will get interested after reading the article, but majority will be scared to use BTC after reading it.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 04:38:48 PM

Shouldn't this thread be on the "Project Development" board?

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2012, 08:28:04 PM

it only takes 2 mins

How much will I be paid for the traffic going over my node?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 10:26:51 PM

What? Why? Who should pay you for running a gateway?
My understanding is that merchants should provide gateway for their customers.

I see no reason why you should be payed for credit card POS terminal or bitcoincard GW.

I was thinking about providing the gateway myself, but area I live in is not worth it...
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 11:06:02 PM

The cost of the transmitters should be pretty inexpensive and it would be good to include one with every card.  A merchant would buy a card  and have a transmitter for their store.  The early buyers will really need a transmitter to do anything at all anyhow.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 11:41:52 PM

The cost of the transmitters should be pretty inexpensive and it would be good to include one with every card.  A merchant would buy a card  and have a transmitter for their store.  The early buyers will really need a transmitter to do anything at all anyhow.

The cost of rice is inexpensive and you don't see anyone buying it to save the poor and starving.

Convenience is key. No one wants to buy repeaters to help nerds except other nerds..

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: