Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:15:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: The pool currently runs at a 0 expected fee. Would you prefer a 1 percent fee in exchange for the pool paying out for all solved blocks including those that fail to mature? Majjority rules.
No, keep it the way it is.
Yes, impose a 1% fee and pay out for all blocks including those that fail to mature.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Continuum Mining Pool: No fees; Client uptime monitoring via twitter and email  (Read 50149 times)
Moussekateer

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 08:32:33 PM

http://continuumpoolrpc.appspot.com/1HEPamMMbwnd6XjXHsfqQ8smrNi77vyqPb

Continuumpool stats for worker: 1HEPamMMbwnd6XjXHsfqQ8smrNi77vyqPb
Looks like an invalid worker address...

So you better re-check it..

Should be fixed now...mostly. The issue is out of my hands really though. The url used to fetch the current worker speed (http://www.continuumpool.com/hashrate.php?worker=) seems to time out most of the time. This is also the case with the RPC, which was taking a huge amount of time to return the current round time for some reason. So I've decided to cache the pool stats (round start time and total hashrate) and run a cron job to fetch them every 5 minutes. This should make the page load noticeably faster now. There will still be errors if the continuumpool site times out but there isn't anything I can do about that, but it should work more often than before now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cengique

Activity: 64

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 01:54:27 AM

Looks like we've been lucky for the last few days.
Looks like you jinxed it Wink It's been a dry spell for 5 days! Hope we get one soon..
tschaboo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2011, 06:45:05 AM

Sorry for the most probably stupid question, but that

Code:
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  fopen(http://rpc.continuumpool.com:8330/rpc) [<a href='function.fopen'>function.fopen</a>]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed!  in <b>/home/bitcoin/web/www/jsonRPCClient.php</b> on line <b>132</b><br />
<br />
<b>Fatal error</b>:  Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Unable to connect to http://rpc.continuumpool.com:8330/rpc' in /home/bitcoin/web/www/jsonRPCClient.php:140
Stack trace:
#0 /home/bitcoin/web/www/roundstart.php(5): jsonRPCClient-&gt;__call('roundstart', Array)
#1 /home/bitcoin/web/www/roundstart.php(5): jsonRPCClient-&gt;roundstart()
#2 {main}
  thrown in <b>/home/bitcoin/web/www/jsonRPCClient.php</b> on line <b>140</b><br />

isn't the reason we're not finding a block, right? I mean, as long as the miners get work, everything should be okay?
brocktice

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

Apparently I inspired this image.

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2011, 01:46:09 PM

BTCguild is down at the moment so I moved my newish rack-o-miners back to continuum for a bit. Hopefully I bring good luck!

http://media.witcoin.com/p/1608/8----This-is-nuts

My #bitcoin-otc ratings: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=brocktice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

Like my post? Leave me a tip: 15Cgixqno9YzoKNEA2DRFyEAfMH5htssRg
martok (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 03:09:56 AM

Hi all,

I am getting out of mining as it is no longer profitable for me. As such, I will no longer be running this pool as one of the reasons I set it up was to decrease my own variance. IE an alternative to solo mining. I am posting this to give everyone time to move away without experiencing downtime as a result of the pool just going dark so I intend to shutdown at 03:00 UTC or in approximately 24 hours of this post. I will of course pay out any found blocks between now and then manually in addition to paying out all pool balances to 0. I will also dump the current round and make that available at www.continuumpool.com/history for some time following shutdown.

All that said, it has certainly been fun writing this stuff and if anyone is interested in running it, I would be happy to make the code, database schema and transfer the domain with your paying domain transfer of course. I will likely put the code up on the web at some point soon in any case though.

I would also like to say thanks to Meni Rosenfeld for the fine algorithm on which the pool is based. Implimenting that in Postgresql was challenging and fun. I appreciate all the help along the way.

M
tschaboo

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 03:13:56 AM

Cry Cry Cry Cry

I hope somenone cares to take this fine pool over...

martok, thanks for your work.
cengique

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 03:50:42 AM

Yes, thank you and sorry to see you go.. Sad
-Cengiz
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 05:19:34 AM

Thank you for taking the time to incarnate the scoring method. It was a pleasure while it lasted.

Have you considered taking a fee for the pool? Maybe something like f=c=0.005 (1% average). I don't know if many people would mind, and it might make it worth your while even without participating yourself.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
tschaboo

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 05:51:57 AM

Have you considered taking a fee for the pool? Maybe something like f=c=0.005 (1% average). I don't know if many people would mind, and it might make it worth your while even without participating yourself.

I would stay and pay the 1%.

Actually I don't really know where to go. PPS-pools are out of the question, the original Multipool is not operated anymore (and I didn't see my coins from there yet), Multiclone is also not stable, deepbit-PPS is too expensive.

Meni, would you care to comment on Eligius' new MaxPPS-system?
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 10:14:29 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2011, 06:08:28 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

Meni, would you care to comment on Eligius' new MaxPPS-system?

[Edit: The following should be correct for MPPS.]

It isn't any good if you ask me. Sure, if you make an oath to mine for eligius forever until the end of time, it will even out eventually. But if you just want to mine for it for any limited amount of time, the odds are against you.

If you mine for such a pool for the duration it takes the pool to find on average 1 block, you get a penalty of 1/e on average, so your expected payout is only 63.2% of the average in other methods. If you mine for the duration of finding on average L blocks (where L is an integer), your penalty proportion is exp(-L)L^L/L!, which by Stirling's law is roughly 1/sqrt(2 Pi L). So for L=100 your average penalty is 4%.

Given that pools are supposed to drastically decrease your variance while having insignificant impact on your expectation, I find this reduction in expectation, or alternatively the long-term commitment, unacceptable.

Edit: Actually, I'm still not sure how exactly MaxPPS works. Whatever it is, though, I suspect these calculations are at least approximately true.

[Edit: The following is for SMPPS]

Reading the more detailed description it looks like it doesn't work like I at first thought. It looks very difficult to analyze, which is why every time I try to think about it I come up with different conclusions. However, according to my current understanding it is doomed to failure. What will happen is this:
The pool balance (total earned - total owed) follows Brownian Motion.
Which means that it will reach any given level with probability 1.
So at some point the balance will be deeply negative.
So any newly submitted share will receive only a fraction of the expected payout.
Seeing this, miners will leave to greener pastures.
This will slow down the recovery, until everyone is fed up with it and the pool collapses.
Everyone who still has a pending reward will never receive it.

Note that there are several perfectly valid hopping-proof methods. PPLNS is hopping-proof and has less variance than the geometric method (mine), but it involves the extra complexity of crossing round boundaries. It has two variants, with or without double-counting shares.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2011, 10:20:06 AM

Actually I don't really know where to go.
I went back to slush. Passable scoring method, low variance, simple worker monitoring.

dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:19:48 AM

I mine in continuum for the last 24 hours. I try to check my balance at
http://www.continuumpool.com/balance.php?worker=my_btc_adr

But this page output nothing.

What is my balance ?
Where can I find the pool solved block history ?
When will I get paid Smiley ?

thanks

cengique

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 02:10:59 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2011, 02:55:06 PM by cengique

I would stay and pay the 1%.
I would stay, too. We're really lucky to get a block (or two?) in the final 24 hours Smiley (Edit: sorry, apparently I was delusional)

If I hadn't stretched my free time so much with building mining hardware, I'd even volunteer to  relocate the server. But I really cannot commit.

How much bandwidth does the pool required? Would a home server sufficient to handle it? How much maintenance does the server need?
ghxost

Activity: 19

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 04:55:03 PM

Nooooo!
Don't go away!
I'll pay a fee too.
I dislike all other pools I've tried except this one.
If i'm not mining for Continuum I'm solo mining, which doesn't really do anything for me Sad
cengique

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 06:15:42 PM

I mine in continuum for the last 24 hours. I try to check my balance at
http://www.continuumpool.com/balance.php?worker=my_btc_adr

But this page output nothing.
Because your balance is zero.

What is my balance ?
Where can I find the pool solved block history ?
When will I get paid Smiley ?
The last block found was on 28th of June. The pool is shutting down 3am UTC tomorrow, so you can watch it until then.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 06:23:15 PM

The last block found was on 28th of June. The pool is shutting down 3am UTC tomorrow, so you can watch it until then.

Thanks for your reply. So basically, I will get nothing if no one find a block until the shut down.
PoulGrym

Activity: 83

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:18:05 PM

Ahh So sad news T_T Here I've been mining on this pool for so long. Thought we'd make one more block until shutdown. I'd be happier if we close it once we find the last block.

Ohh well.. where do we go now?

If you found my post helpful, use my tip jar!
BTC: 1Q4um62DJ8kBRMzQ4VQqG6W7eLoPNfx6zn
NODE: 11993447274130959091 NXT: MINT:
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2011, 02:38:22 AM

Actually I don't really know where to go.
I went back to slush. Passable scoring method, low variance, simple worker monitoring.

Eclipsemc is gaining ground and uses your scoring method, Meni.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
tschaboo

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:43:12 AM

Meni, thank you very much for your analysis. I can't judge if you are right, but I also have the feeling, somethings wrong with the MaxPPS-method. I think it would work, if old shares wouldn't count forever. If for example all shares from more than 20 rounds ago wouldn't be considered anymore such problems as you described should not arise.

Anyway, if Eclipsemc really uses your scoring method [1], my problem will be solved and you'll find me there. ;-)
Of course I'm still sad that Continuum goes away...

[1] I'm going to find out / ask and report back.
tschaboo

View Profile
July 07, 2011, 03:37:53 PM

I'm going to find out / ask and report back.

Looks promising: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16385.msg335985#msg335985
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: