Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:33:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] DriveShare - Earn money by sharing your extra hard drive space  (Read 22914 times)
entharal

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 04:00:20 PM

New hacks are announced basically every week. Having a storage system that is encrypted and only the user has the keys, for a cheap price: that is going to be a no-brainer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ruffian

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 05:28:25 PM

I am very interested to see where the market puts the cost of 1GB of storage on this platform once the background complexity is abstracted away and users only see a Dropbox type storage solution.
applesaucey

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:52:24 PM

I am very interested to see where the market puts the cost of 1GB of storage on this platform once the background complexity is abstracted away and users only see a Dropbox type storage solution.

Totally. End of the day, the client-facing portion of Storj needs to be as basic as Dropbox. And I'm guessing (hoping?) that Storj being p2p means that costs should be substantially lower to the consumer, since the majority of hardware and electricity costs are are spread among the user base?
Un4givn85

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 09:04:01 PM

Will there be a minimum or maximum amount of storage per user?

There are no limits - you can buy as much storage as you'd like if you are willing to pay for it, and you are able to host as many storage contracts as you have space for. Your own resources are your only limitation.

thats incredible. i might consider buying a nice external hard drive for this  Grin

I have 8 TB external hard drive just for this.  Grin

I just picked up 2 4TB USB 3.0 externals on Amazon for this Cheesy
MemoryShock

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 09:47:53 PM

I would love to do the same but right now I am not sure that I can justify the price without knowing more information.  I think it is more than likely a good investment but I have so little invested/to invest in crypto that I am more likely here to play with the new technology than pursue ROI...

That said, I have an older TB HD that is going to get hooked up when it is ready...

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  I/O DIGITAL
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
iodigital.io & iocoin.io

█████████████████
███████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████
█████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
victerion

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 01:24:48 AM

Totally. End of the day, the client-facing portion of Storj needs to be as basic as Dropbox. And I'm guessing (hoping?) that Storj being p2p means that costs should be substantially lower to the consumer, since the majority of hardware and electricity costs are are spread among the user base?

with what we've seen so far, it appears to be accessible enough, but we can only be sure of that when more people get their hands on the program. and logically, yes, the costs should be lower.
aparajita241

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 11:58:16 AM

Yep I think the cost of this setup should be quite less than the traditional file hosting sites, so hopefully many people will opt for this service.
ruffian

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 04:45:03 PM

Yep I think the cost of this setup should be quite less than the traditional file hosting sites, so hopefully many people will opt for this service.

I think if the cost is a little more than current storage services, there will still be a market for this service although much smaller. If this network can provide a cheaper option then this service will take over. Even if the cost of having storage on this network is significantly higher than other services there will still be a small group of users who will continue to use this and since this is an open source and community hosted network it can adapt over time to potentially reduce cost by possibly reducing the amount of redundancy or improving the algorithm in another way to make it more efficient.
michaelspyker

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:01:55 AM

Mom: What do you want to do with your life?

Me: I don't know, but I think I'll be the cloud with StorJx
knahrvorn

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 11:15:03 AM

thats incredible. i might consider buying a nice external hard drive for this  Grin
I have 8 TB external hard drive just for this.  Grin

I actually picked up NO harddrives for this. Still want to see how it works out. Planning to utilize the empty space in my existing drives to begin with, and then move from there.
knahrvorn

Activity: 58

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 11:41:38 AM

I did a little mock-up of how my DriveShare setup might look sometime in the future:

https://i.imgur.com/OaYLDwS.jpg?1

Just for the fun of it :-)
aparajita241

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 01:02:24 PM

I am all hyped for this  Grin . Lets see what the initial feedback comes from the early adopters  Shocked
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 01:37:52 PM

I did a little mock-up of how my DriveShare setup might look sometime in the future:

Just for the fun of it :-)

cute mock-up. might borrow it if you don't mind and post it on FB.

ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 04:00:28 PM

they are talking about storj here

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2r79c2/i_took_this_picture_last_night_moon_storjio/

Vanmer

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 06:10:04 PM

Lovely idea!!Hope it gets it's attention it needed.
Vanmer

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 06:18:16 PM

Creative way to monetize money .
Un4givn85

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 06:49:22 PM

I would love to do the same but right now I am not sure that I can justify the price without knowing more information.  I think it is more than likely a good investment but I have so little invested/to invest in crypto that I am more likely here to play with the new technology than pursue ROI...

That said, I have an older TB HD that is going to get hooked up when it is ready...

I can understand.  I had a few Amazon GC's laying around, so I just made the buy on impulse. 

Either way this goes, I can put one to use, at the very least.  My HDD on my laptop is filling up anyways Smiley
aparajita241

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 08:24:40 PM

Driveshare :- A storage created with a vision beyond imagination . The logo suits them  Wink
coinvoyeur

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 08:53:02 PM

I think if the cost is a little more than current storage services, there will still be a market for this service although much smaller. If this network can provide a cheaper option then this service will take over. Even if the cost of having storage on this network is significantly higher than other services there will still be a small group of users who will continue to use this and since this is an open source and community hosted network it can adapt over time to potentially reduce cost by possibly reducing the amount of redundancy or improving the algorithm in another way to make it more efficient.

I think the price $2/month/TB Not sure dough. Time will tell Smiley

coinvoyeur

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 08:59:32 PM

Can you please tell us how will the rewards be split among Test Group B and Test Group C?

Will the rewards be proportional to the amount of space and bandwidth shared? (in the test phases I mean)

Will the rewards be proportional to the amount of SJCX owned? (will people with more SJCX earn more during test phase B and C ?)
I believe the rewards are determined by how much hardware you have to offer.The more hardware you have to offer the more you will earn.

The reward is determined on how much space is used from the space you offer!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: