Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:13:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] DriveShare - Earn money by sharing your extra hard drive space  (Read 22913 times)
coinvoyeur

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 09:13:00 PM

The main question remains - whether "decentralization" is really something that people value. I would not be suprised if people stay at Dropbox/Google. This is something I started to notice a while ago - people involved in crypto tend to overestimate decentralization. And crowd.. just does not care. So if there is no demand for decentralized storage - storjcoin price will go down. If there is demand - it will go up. Doesn't really matter what early adopters would do.

Only time will tell and I am still holding on to my SJCX.

There will be demand for sure, first of all because of the low price and second for the security it offers. I'm holding on to my SJCX too Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinvoyeur

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 09:29:16 PM

I wish Group C let people in with fewer STORJ

Agreed, but we all know that the early adopters get the rewards while everyone else gets a benefit. As I've said elsewhere, I'm still trying to figure out if the expense is worth it.

If you bought 10K sjcx at the exchanges (rate 0.00015669), you'll need to cough up about 1.5669 BTC.

If you think that the crowdfunding rate in PHASE 1 was 38,500 SJCX per Bitcoin Smiley
coinvoyeur

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:10:37 PM

Anybody knows how big is a chunk data stored on your hard drive ? Can chunk size be changed by a user?
coinvoyeur

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:18:21 PM

My modest setup is ready Acer netbook 1.6 gb, 64 bit atom processors, up to 2 gb ram, built-in backup battery with 2TB external drive. Group C here I come Smiley
heunland

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:25:27 PM

Anybody knows how big is a chunk data stored on your hard drive ? Can chunk size be changed by a user?

the shard size is currently being tested in the beta phase, among other configurations. The end users will be able to request the level of redundancy they prefer, however, I the chunk size would not be a user defined option in order to assure network efficiency and data privacy.

Exerpt from the Storj whitepaper:

"We define a standardized shard size as a byte multiple such as 8 MB or 32 MB. These are kept at pre-set sizes to dissuade any attempt to determine what is being stored. Sharding also allows large files to be more manageable as they are distributed throughout the network..."

You can find out more about the details of chunking on Storj in the whitepaper´s chapter 2 here: http://storj.io/storj.pdf
Vanmer

Activity: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 03:26:59 AM

Available in India?
Remington_Steele

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 05:38:46 AM

Interesting.. i always have few hundreds GB free.. is it enough to earn something? or we are talking about hundreds TB?

They way u store file chunks and their size being kept pretty small should allow for most users to be able to host them. Of course if there is a very high demand for storage the more you have available, the more you may earn. Also very important is reliability, the more your DriveShare node is online the better the chance of it getting a contract (i.e. file chunk).

This bit is interesting. I can repeat what is written in the Storj whitepaper, but I don't quite understand how this would work.
As blockchain technology improves we can use systems like Factom [9] to provide faster throughput, and Ethereum [10] to create en-forceable contracts on data storage.

Can you ELI5 please?
Remington_Steele

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 05:47:01 AM

Available in India?
DriveShare is borderless, as far as I can tell.
Remington_Steele

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 05:54:08 AM

I wish Group C let people in with fewer STORJ

Agreed, but we all know that the early adopters get the rewards while everyone else gets a benefit. As I've said elsewhere, I'm still trying to figure out if the expense is worth it.

If you bought 10K sjcx at the exchanges (rate 0.00015669), you'll need to cough up about 1.5669 BTC.

It is better to buy now , I am sure you can double that in a few months until the market gets saturated

I don't intend to be a naysayer, but people should maintain realistic judgement. I see a good chance that lots of early adopters will feel comfortable selling off their original 10,000 SJCX when the full network goes live.

On the flip side, SJCXs value might soar if the beta is a roaring success.
Remington_Steele

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 07:52:24 AM

Yep I think the cost of this setup should be quite less than the traditional file hosting sites, so hopefully many people will opt for this service.

I think if the cost is a little more than current storage services, there will still be a market for this service although much smaller. If this network can provide a cheaper option then this service will take over. Even if the cost of having storage on this network is significantly higher than other services there will still be a small group of users who will continue to use this and since this is an open source and community hosted network it can adapt over time to potentially reduce cost by possibly reducing the amount of redundancy or improving the algorithm in another way to make it more efficient.

I think the price $2/month/TB Not sure dough. Time will tell Smiley

Went through some of Shawn's posts earlier, and remember one where he mentioned that EMC charges $3k/TB for its cloud storage services.
Huge gap to play with between $2 and $3k, IMO.
ruffian

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 04:05:21 PM

Yep I think the cost of this setup should be quite less than the traditional file hosting sites, so hopefully many people will opt for this service.

I think if the cost is a little more than current storage services, there will still be a market for this service although much smaller. If this network can provide a cheaper option then this service will take over. Even if the cost of having storage on this network is significantly higher than other services there will still be a small group of users who will continue to use this and since this is an open source and community hosted network it can adapt over time to potentially reduce cost by possibly reducing the amount of redundancy or improving the algorithm in another way to make it more efficient.

I think the price $2/month/TB Not sure dough. Time will tell Smiley

Went through some of Shawn's posts earlier, and remember one where he mentioned that EMC charges $3k/TB for its cloud storage services.
Huge gap to play with between $2 and $3k, IMO.

Google Storage charges about $1.99/Month for 100GB and $9.99/Month for 1 TB and Amazon provides similar prices. I doubt EMC is charging that for only storage. $2 a month for 1TB would be very competitive.
coinvoyeur

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 05:12:54 PM

the shard size is currently being tested in the beta phase, among other configurations. The end users will be able to request the level of redundancy they prefer, however, I the chunk size would not be a user defined option in order to assure network efficiency and data privacy.

Exerpt from the Storj whitepaper:

"We define a standardized shard size as a byte multiple such as 8 MB or 32 MB. These are kept at pre-set sizes to dissuade any attempt to determine what is being stored. Sharding also allows large files to be more manageable as they are distributed throughout the network..."

You can find out more about the details of chunking on Storj in the whitepaper´s chapter 2 here: http://storj.io/storj.pdf

Thanks!
edmundduke
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 06:58:52 PM

So when will it realease for everyone to use (provide the HDD space). On the OP theres a note its in beta and users who are new to this cant earn anything yet ?
MemoryShock

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 07:08:36 PM

So when will it realease for everyone to use (provide the HDD space). On the OP theres a note its in beta and users who are new to this cant earn anything yet ?

There isn't a specific date for the beginning of Phase B/C or for the actual launch since it all depends on how each test phase works.  But I imagine that we will only see progress through the next few months.  The project is obviously active and the community is very participatory...I'm down for enjoying the journey...; )

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  I/O DIGITAL
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
iodigital.io & iocoin.io

█████████████████
███████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
█████▌██████████████▐███
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▌████████▐████
███████████████████
█████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
STORJX (OP)

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:40:13 PM

There isn't a specific date for the beginning of Phase B/C or for the actual launch since it all depends on how each test phase works.  But I imagine that we will only see progress through the next few months.  The project is obviously active and the community is very participatory...I'm down for enjoying the journey...; )

Thanks for the support MemoryShock and for answering people's questions, appreciated Wink

As mentioned above the beta is currently in progress. It is a basic test for the moment. We are working on bigger test files for the next stage and possibly enabling basic file transfers.
We will make announcements for each one of the next beta stages and when we push added functionality to the current Test Group A beta.

It will be a while before we launch to the public, possibly a few more months. Impossible to have even a rough estimate at the moment.
One thing is for sure, our developers are working hard to make this happen and things or progressing well.

If anyone here has some high level coding skills (Python mainly and C++) feel free to get involved, we are always on the lookout for extra help.
The best way to get involved is to go onto our GitHub (https://github.com/storj), look around and submit a pull request or open an issue.
We don't do interviews or look at people's CVs, we look at what you can do.  Smiley

STORJX (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 02:33:12 PM

Please vote for Storj Community Director Elections by Jan 14!
STORJX (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:58:05 PM

Storj will be attending TNABC on January 16-18.

Storj will be on “The Startup Stage” at 15:00 EST Sunday the 18th.

http://btcmiami.com/speakers/shawn-wilkinson/

If you are in Miami and plan to go to the conference you are invited to come and see us.

You are all invited to come and see us at the Storj booth where Shawn, Josh and Andrew will be answering any questions you may have.

STORJX (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 09:31:25 PM

Storj Superstars at TNABC, Miami from left: Andrew, Shawn, Josh, and Shaun

Storj Booth

ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2015, 07:07:44 AM

the app was running fine for the past few weeks but it died today. weird.

D:\bitcoin\storj\driveshare\v0.1.4-alpha>downstream.exe
Using url https://live.driveshare.org:8443
Using token 7b9c6777e06ecd72d5fe855026d8528d
Farming on address xxxxx
<Response [500]>
Unexpected error: 500 Server Error: INTERNAL SERVER ERROR

STORJX (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 01:40:57 PM

DriveShare Farming should be back as normal. Let us know here otherwise. Go ahead and try to connect if you are part of Test Group A.
We are still analyzing the data collected and work is in progress to add 100GB file size transfers.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: