View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 08:00:14 PM

Good to know. I will begin spamming the world with this graphic.  Wink

please do it  Cheesy

and dont forget:

Now we are talking Cheesy

That is seriously fricking awesome. Thank you for taking the time to find this or put it together if you did this! lolol its so great i cant help but feel all christmasy inside! LOL
TheLoser

Activity: 462
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 08:06:21 PM

They got nothing else to do or maybe they both hire the same person or company who made the ads.
tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 08:37:16 PM

haha.  that's great.  maybe some media attention over this.
lontivero

Activity: 164
Merit: 126

Amazing times are coming

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 09:41:10 PM

jajaja I love it!

Great job.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 26, 2014, 11:49:12 PM

You guys forgot to put the 1-2% it costs to buy the BTC then the 1-2% to sell it! You also forgot to put the hoops you have to jump through to buy bitcoin. Much tougher then filling out a form at WU.

Once I get my hands on Bitcoin why the hell would I convert it back to fiat? I get paid in Bitcoin, I pay employees in Bitcoin, and I buy items directly with bitcoin which allows me to save up to 15% off of anything on Amazon.

You also forgot to put the hoops you have to jump through to buy bitcoin. Much tougher then filling out a form at WU.

Buying BTC is trivial, and simply involves clicking a button. The setup and authorization process for circle/coinbase is much easier and intuitive than W/U as well.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:40:16 AM

I am still having trouble seeing where a copyright infringement has occurred.  Can someone help me out or is this just an abusive DMCA takedown?

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
inBitweTrust

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:52:08 AM

I am still having trouble seeing where a copyright infringement has occurred.  Can someone help me out or is this just an abusive DMCA takedown?

Its a clear case of fair use or parody, and thus an abusive DMCA takedown.

The CEO of bitcoin may get sued so we better start collecting for his legal fund. Wink

Wardrick
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 02:57:27 AM

I doubt Western Union sees Bitcoin as a threat because people use Western Union to buy Bitcoin.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 04:23:14 AM

I am sure that i saw an article somewhere that said that since Bitcoin went viral, WU money transfer has been down by 3%. That's a lot given the amount of money they transfer.

token_dave

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Here's the story behind this.

I posted the picture on my large bitcoin facebook page.  www.facebook.com/BITCOlN

Two days after posting, I received an email from facebook saying that Western Union Holdings, Inc filed a DMCA claim against me, citing their ownership of the Western Union *trademark* (strangely, not their copyright on the ad), and that Facebook decided to remove the content.

I went ahead and filed a counter-claim, where I had to swear that I believe Facebook wrongfully granted their takedown request.  Now, Western Union has 10 days to either file a federal court order, or Facebook will reinstate the image.  I see it as a win/win situation.  If western Union actually sues me for posting the image, it will come back to bite them 1000x over in negative PR alone.  Plus, I'm not the original content creator, and the image should be legally protected as "comparative advertising".  
brian_23452

Activity: 350

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 07:52:41 AM

I posted the picture on my large bitcoin facebook page.  www.facebook.com/BITCOlN

Two days after posting, I received an email from facebook saying that Western Union Holdings, Inc filed a DMCA claim against me, citing their ownership of the Western Union *trademark* (strangely, not their copyright on the ad), and that Facebook decided to remove the content.

I went ahead and filed a counter-claim, where I had to swear that I believe Facebook wrongfully granted their takedown request.  Now, Western Union has 10 days to either file a federal court order, or Facebook will reinstate the image.  I see it as a win/win situation.  If western Union actually sues me for posting the image, it will come back to bite them 1000x over in negative PR alone.  Plus, I'm not the original content creator, and the image should be legally protected as "comparative advertising".  

And you will lose.  US courts are *very* generous when it comes to defending trademarks, and clearly you are using a trademarked image (not sure why you and everyone else keeps calling it copyright, this has nothing to do with copyrights). 

As stated before, it has nothing to do with them being afraid of bitcoin; if it can be demonstrated in court that they knew you were using their trademarked image and they did not oppose your use, you could then claim ownership of the trademark for yourself.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:04:43 AM

crazy that such a big company cares about that shit  Cheesy
Large companies like this go after small firms all the time for things (ads, logos, ect) that may even be remotely similar.

Comparison advertising has a long history and is completely legitimate.
darkmule
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:07:29 AM

And you will lose.  US courts are *very* generous when it comes to defending trademarks, and clearly you are using a trademarked image (not sure why you and everyone else keeps calling it copyright, this has nothing to do with copyrights).

Truthful comparative advertising even using a competitor's trademark is entirely valid if done correctly.

(This one presents a few issues that are not necessarily fatal, but it should not present the WU logo more prominently than the Bitcoin logo or otherwise look as if it might be suggesting the competing product is actually endorsed by the competitor.)

ETA:  Actually they're the same size but the whitespace on the right side for Bitcoin is a) unsightly but b) more importantly, makes it look less prominent.  Should probably be surrounded by some color itself.  Also, it doesn't note that the Western Union trademark belongs to (duh) Western Union.
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:08:41 AM

I would be very careful. I am not sure, about US-Laws, but something like that, can end in a hefty fine for you.
Don't take a unnecessary risk until you have at least talked to a lawyer. Don't take posts on this forum as legal advise.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
darkmule
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:11:15 AM

I would be very careful. I am not sure, about US-Laws, but something like that, can end in a hefty fine for you.
Don't take a unnecessary risk until you have at least talked to a lawyer. Don't take posts on this forum as legal advise.

This.  Consider contacting the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which even if they might not necessarily give you free legal advice, has been known to hook people up with free/cheap legal counsel, usually experienced people.  Just having any response you make to their posturing come on legal letterhead can make even corporate bullies think twice.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 08:24:46 AM

As stated before, it has nothing to do with them being afraid of bitcoin
Would we of had such hand wringing from them if the picture had shone WU in a good light?

FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 12:53:54 PM

Would we of had such hand wringing from them if the picture had shone WU in a good light?
Probably. If it was shown in a better light then the satire could have left out some important disclaimer or condition of using their service and as a result it would add liability to Western Union.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 01:08:04 PM

Probably. If it was shown in a better light then the satire could have left out some important disclaimer or condition of using their service and as a result it would add liability to Western Union.

There is a long history of examples where corporations don't waste their time defending their trademarks/copyrights because it isn't worth their time or they benefit from the advertising.

W/U is clearly making a calculated attack because of a perceived threat.

FattyMcButterpants

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 01:38:05 PM

There is a long history of examples where corporations don't waste their time defending their trademarks/copyrights because it isn't worth their time or they benefit from the advertising.

W/U is clearly making a calculated attack because of a perceived threat.
Do you have any examples of this? Filing a DCMA complaint would only draw attention to themselves and the picture in question. If they were making an "attack" because of bitcoin's threat then they are doing it wrong because their "attack" is drawing attention to the comparison between bitcoin and WU
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: