Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:56:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey for the love of Satoshi can I PLEASE pay a tx fee?  (Read 4270 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 05:47:40 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2012, 06:07:27 AM by DeathAndTaxes

Look I want to pay a tx fee.  It is the only way to get ahead of the Satoshi Dice spam.  Free market at work and all that good stuff.   The problem is outside of standalone clients and a few ewallet providers I CAN'T.  Come on MtGox it isn't 2009 anymore.  Free tx are low priority.  At least give me the option of paying a fee.

So I am starting a list of clients, ewallets, exchanges, and other service providers and their fee policies.

Fee Types:
No fee = No fee is included with any normal transaction*.  User can not modify default behavior and include a fee.  (See Dust & Low Priority Exception below)
Fixed per tx fee = fee is a fixed value per tx (regardless of tx size).  The user can not change/override the fee.
Fixed per KB fee = fee is a fixed value per KB.  Most tx are <1KB but larger tx will pay a higher fee.  The user can not change/override the fee.
Variable fee = Fee is determined based on an algorithm and is not a single value per kb or per tx.   User can not change or override the fee.
Adjustable fee = User can change the fee to a desired amount (including zero*) to balance tx speed vs economy.

*Dust & Low Priority Exception:
The satoshi client (and others services built on it) have a set of required fee rules which deal with dust (very small txs) and low priority txs (priority is the product of age and value of inputs).   The purpose of this fee is to prevent denial of service attacks against the network not to prioritize txs or incentivize miners.  Nodes and miners following these rules will drop txs which don't include the required fee. If a client/service only incorporates the min mandatory fees it will be marked No fee but include a * to reflect it's handling of transactions which are classified as low priority or dust.

Clients
Satoshi/Reference client - Adjustable fee
Armory - Adjustable fee
BitcoinSpinner - Fixed Per KB Fee 0.0005 BTC (0.0005 min)
Electrum - Adjustable fee
Multibit - Adjustable fee (min fee of 0.0001 BTC per tx)
? ? ?

Exchanges
MtGox - No fee
CampBX - No fee*
Bitfloor - No fee
BTC-E - No fee (they do charge a fee but it doesn't go miners)
Intersango - No fee

eWallets
StrongCoin - Variable fee 0.5% of tx value (min of 0.0025)  This is portion of fee which is paid to miners
BlockChain.info - Adjustable fee (custom txs only)
Instawallet - No fee ? ? ?
EasyWallet.Org - Fixed Per Tx Fee 0.0005 BTC
PayTunia - ? ? ?
TorWallet  - No fee*

Mining Pools (top 10 pools only for brevity)
Deepbit - No fee
BTCGuild - No fee*
OzCoin - ?
Slush - ?
ABCPool - ?
50BTC - ?
BitMinter - ?
MtRed - ?

Note: p2pool & Eligus payout directly from the coinbase tx.  The compensation for miners is already part of the solved block and no subsequent tx is needed.  There is no concept of fee on coinbase txs.

Service Providers
Satoshi Dice - Variable fee   max(0.0005, (ins + outs) * 0.000075)  Author note:  wonder why they didn't just make it per KB?
Bitmit - Fixed per tx fee 0.001 BTC
CheaperInBitcoins - Fixed per tx fee 0.01 BTC

This is a work in progress and your help is appreciated.  If you have info on a fee policy or spot an error please post in the thread.  When stating a fee be sure to clarify if the fee is per KB, per tx, or unsure as both methods of calculating fee are used.  A service which follows only min required fee rules of the Satoshi client is considered "no fee".
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fatigue

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 05:51:13 AM

Strongcoin is actually 1% with a min. Of .005
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 05:52:12 AM

Strongcoin is actually 1% with a min. Of .005

Strongcoin charges 1% but only half goes to the miners.  I will clarify.  Thanks.
Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 05:55:55 AM

Armory has adjustable fees.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:04:39 AM

Armory has adjustable fees.

Thanks.  Updated.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:06:50 AM

Cheaperinbitcoins requires 0.01 BTC per merchant per order(so no matter what its guaranteed to be redeemed by the merchant almost by the first block)
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:21:37 AM

TORwallet charges a fixed 0.0005 BTC transaction fee.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:22:34 AM

When you say "charges" you mean the fee is sent to miners correct? 
Gladamas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:23:22 AM

And that all goes directly to miners.

When you say "charges" you mean the fee is sent to miners correct? 

Hehe I was going to post this just as you posted your reply.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 06:28:37 AM

Are you certain the exchanges don't pay any fees to miners?

Still around.
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 06:33:37 AM

Are you certain the exchanges don't pay any fees to miners?

I am not 100% certain but looking over my tx history I have never seen a fee.   Still if I am wrong I will happily update the list.

My theory is that exchanges tend to have lots of old coins.  They can use old coins in outgoing tx (high priority) and overtime the new coins become old.  It worked fine until recently.  They got high priority without ever paying a cent (except maybe the occasional "spam" tx).  Now a tx w/ old coins and no fee may get bypassed for 2 to 20 blocks due to the number of unconfirmed tx with a fee.  

Yhe point of the thread was to create a discussion and hopefully encourage providers to give the users THE OPTION.  Sometimes I may want to pay nothing and be comfortable knowing it gets into the block eventually.   Sometimes like when paying a sale I want it in the next block.  Period.  If that takes 0.0001 or even 0.01 BT I would rather pay it then wait an unknown number of blocks.  Even if the default is no fee, users should always have the option of paying a fee (or an increased fee) otherwise they have no control over their transactions.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 07:09:37 AM

SatoshiDice:
It is actually max(0.0005, (ins + outs) * 0.000075) so is fairly stupid but is higher for larger transactions.

Code is here: http://code.google.com/r/fireduck-magicpony/source/browse/core/src/main/java/com/google/bitcoin/core/FeeFinderCounting.java

jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 07:11:32 AM

MultiBit has an adjustable fee, minimum 0.0001 BTC.
All the fee goes to the miners.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 07:11:38 AM

SatoshiDice:
It is actually max(0.0005, (ins + outs) * 0.000075) so is fairly stupid but is higher for larger transactions.

Code is here: http://code.google.com/r/fireduck-magicpony/source/browse/core/src/main/java/com/google/bitcoin/core/FeeFinderCounting.java

Nice cite.  Updated.
TORwallet

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 07:45:12 AM

We use a standard bitcoind with the coincontrol patch. Outgoing transactions use whatever fee it chooses, sometimes it is 0, other times it can be as high as 0.002, but the majority have been 0.0005.

If someone patches bitcoind so that you can set the fee in sendfrom, sendmany, or sendtoaddress please let us know because we are more than willing to add an option on our site.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 07:54:18 AM

Not sure how you'd want to classify BitcoinSpinner (an Android app.) It charges a set fee of 0.0005 BTC per transaction, all of which goes to the miners.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 07:58:06 AM

Not sure how you'd want to classify BitcoinSpinner (an Android app.) It charges a set fee of 0.0005 BTC per transaction, all of which goes to the miners.

I would call that "fixed fee 0.0005 BTC".  Updated.
TORwallet

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 08:02:08 AM

Yhe point of the thread was to create a discussion and hopefully encourage providers to give the users THE OPTION.  Sometimes I may want to pay nothing and be comfortable knowing it gets into the block eventually.   Sometimes like when paying a sale I want it in the next block.  Period.  If that takes 0.0001 or even 0.01 BT I would rather pay it then wait an unknown number of blocks.  Even if the default is no fee, users should always have the option of paying a fee (or an increased fee) otherwise they have no control over their transactions.

I think the reason that no one gives users the option is because it is not supported in bitcoind. We would if it was possible.

Using settxfee opens up issues with concurrency errors. Say user1 sets a 0.0005 fee and user2 sets a 1 btc fee. RPC commands arrive at bitcoind in this order,

User1 settxfee
User2 settxfee
User1 sendfrom
User2 sendfrom
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2012, 08:10:45 AM

Electrum client has adjustable fee.
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 08:17:44 AM

afaik MtGox has a contract with Luke-Jr's pool for including its transactions.
so they dont need to pay a fee (dont know if they do)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: