Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:49:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will ASICS Help Level The Playing Field vs. Botnets?
Heck Yes
Heck No
Curse you BFL!
Botnets are People Too!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICs vs BOTNETS  (Read 4871 times)
1l1l11ll1l (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 09:17:01 PM

So I've heard there are botnets running lots of hash. Are there any confirmed major hash sources that are botnets?

Based on the hash of the botnets, they are making a killing, and there's nothing we can do about it, however if/when the ASIC rolls out in force, the botnets will no longer be a significant portion of the hash.

This stands to gain (ASIC) players an even higher % of the pie.

What Say Ye? Vote Above

BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 09:48:23 PM

Botnet operators need to be strung up on wires by their toenails and beaten with red-hot pokers.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 09:53:15 PM

ASICs will render everything else obsolete in time but botnets (which are already horribly inefficient) will be killed overnight and that includes other forms of malicious CPU mining (rogue system admins, employees "borrowing" company resources, hacked servers, etc).
nedbert9

Activity: 252

Inactive

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 10:18:45 PM

Overpriced ASICs have a much greater risk to mining profitability than botnets.
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:00:41 PM

Both can be broken just as easily by protocol tweaks.. Bip16 took a very large botnet out for months.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:08:44 PM

So I've heard there are botnets running lots of hash. Are there any confirmed major hash sources that are botnets?

Based on the hash of the botnets, they are making a killing, and there's nothing we can do about it, however if/when the ASIC rolls out in force, the botnets will no longer be a significant portion of the hash.

What Say Ye? Vote Above

I still don't get it : why would they stop hashing when it costs them a grand total of 0 to keep going ?

Inconvenience perhaps ?
Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:12:27 PM

Because they will find something else more profitable. Spamming, pw hash breaking whatever.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 19, 2012, 11:30:18 PM

Because they will find something else more profitable. Spamming, pw hash breaking whatever.

Good point.

Sending Nigerian spam is much more profitable than mining say 0.1 BTC a day when ASIC hits !
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2012, 11:54:11 PM

I heard the space aliens are running lot of hash, but I think John Titor's crew from the future probably has them beat.  Do you think that the invention of quasi-protonic timelike hypercomputers in the upwhen will make the time traveler's advantage decisive or not?
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 04:28:58 AM

Where's a legitimate ASIC Thread? I tried starting another in general hardware, but the consensus seems to be to let it die.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
June 21, 2012, 06:15:57 AM

Where's a legitimate ASIC Thread? I tried starting another in general hardware, but the consensus seems to be to let it die.

Legitimate ASIC thread? That's pretty much an oxymoron at this point. I think people suggested to let your thread die b/c you started off raising questions about BFL's coming ASIC that have been picked over 100x on this board already. There are lots of ASIC threads - check the FPGA subforum. Most of the discussion is about BFL's ASIC, and the threads are full of all kinds of speculation, emoting, and outright BS, but there's good stuff too. So much has been said about it already it's probably best to wade through the existing threads and find specific posts that interest you, then reply to those to get a conversation going.
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 04:41:01 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2012, 07:35:30 AM by ThiagoCMC

ASICs will render everything else obsolete in time but botnets (which are already horribly inefficient) will be killed overnight and that includes other forms of malicious CPU mining (rogue system admins, employees "borrowing" company resources, hacked servers, etc).

@D&T,

I don't want to be rude but (also, don't take me wrong), that was the reason to you to sell "as fast as you can", your BFL Single?!

Look, I do not have any problems with that but! Now I'm thinking that I made a bad, bad business buying this BFL Single these days...

Who wants my BFL Single for 150 Bitcoins?! I sell it now! Never used!

Cheers!
Thiago
1l1l11ll1l (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2012, 07:55:53 AM

I'll give you 100BTC

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
June 24, 2012, 08:08:03 AM

I'll give you 100BTC

No, thanks! 150 BTC including the shipment to your place.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:56:19 AM
Last edit: June 25, 2012, 03:04:03 PM by malevolent

What Say Ye? Vote Above

There was an AMA on reddit once with a botnet operator who had 13-20GH/s from 12k of bots and estimated that 30% of btc network could be botnets. To what extent is it true? I don't know but already over a year ago people discussed this extensively on deepnet.

Signature space available for rent.
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 06:57:58 AM

Botnet operators need to be strung up on wires by their toenails and beaten with red-hot pokers.

Quote of the day Grin

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 01:46:27 PM

Quote of the day Grin

Only one mix up:

Botnet operators need to be strung up on wires by their red-hot pokers and beaten with....  Wink
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 03:06:12 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2012, 04:04:21 PM by malevolent

You seem to envy them?  Grin

Signature space available for rent.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 03:42:08 PM

You seem to be envy them?  Grin
I'm not sure how you were able to confuse "envy" with "hate", but whatever.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
schnell

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 25, 2012, 04:02:42 PM

To be honest I don't really care where the hashes come from, I just think the more hashes the better security the network has.
Mystery miner is my only exception, though, because they have 1.3TH and don't accept transactions into their blocks, making just over 1/10 of all Bitcoin blocks without transactions.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: