Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:25:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Emma Meme: SEMANTIC ISSUES NEEDS RESOLVING ~ Please Help!  (Read 13249 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 05:30:46 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2012, 05:42:57 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

The above quote is the first paragraph of Emma, by Jane Austen, a novel first published in 1815.

The object of this thread is to have you change ONLY one (1) word (bold it) and still have the paragraph remain grammatically correct.

The goal is to see how the paragraph reads after hopefully a 100+ changes.

If nobody minds, I'll start.

Satoshi Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

Rules:

• Any word can be changed.
  • Any word can be changed more than once.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fatigue

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 05:58:53 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:02:50 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:11:02 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, hung-like-a-donkey, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

I hyphened the phrase to make it ONLY one word above.

Satoshi Nakamoto, hung-like-a-donkey, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy chiguagua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

Yeah I realized and deleted it - I'll try again.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:14:16 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, hung-like-a-donkey, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

I changed back to disposition and handsome and now awaiting your edit.

~Bruno~

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:19:41 PM

Bit of a cop-out, but someone needs to do it...

I withdraw my edit, China works just fine.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dancupid

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:20:23 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex China.

Ok I've messed it up,  though hung-like-a-donkey hyphenated does appear in the Oxford dictionary - I believe the Queen says it regularly. We'll stick with handsome for now.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:25:42 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 07:10:50 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I changed back to disposition and handsome and now awaiting your edit.

~Bruno~

Wait a sec! I think a hyphened phrase can replace a word. SgtSpike changed twenty-one to nine-thousand, so why not handsome to hung-like-a-donkey? Somewhere down the road that phrase may be even replaced with (?).

That said, here's the newly edited paragraph.

Satoshi Nakamoto, hung-like-a-donkey, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex her.

I was about to post the above as a stand-alone post, but now I see I need to amend this because of the following.

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex China.

Ok I've messed it up,  though hung-like-a-donkey hyphenated does appear in the Oxford dictionary - I believe the Queen says it regularly. We'll stick with handsome for now.

Here's the newly edited paragraph.

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex China.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:28:30 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the world with very little to distress or vex China.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:35:34 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vex China.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:42:47 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 07:13:33 PM by LoupGaroux

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with a unknown home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vex China.

(I would like to thank dancupid for the post below where he caught the set-up I was forced to leave with the "only one word" rule... lest anyone think me grammatically ill-informed!)
dancupid

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:47:34 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2012, 07:08:26 PM by dancupid

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or vex China.

I'm a stickler for this sort of thing - and Mansfield Park is a better novel
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 06:50:20 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy chihuahua, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke China.

Broke it but the last part needs fixing anyway, it'll get there eventually.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
cadillac

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 06:52:16 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy seals-with-clubs, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke China.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 07:04:10 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy seals-with-clubs, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived nearly nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

austonst

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:17:39 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy seals-with-clubs, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

Sorry, it had to be done.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 09:27:59 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

Sorry, it had to be done.

Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't earlier.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 09:29:09 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the best blessings of Bitcoin; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2012, 11:04:41 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the best blessings of money; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

Still around.
fatigue

Bitcoin is a food group.

View Profile
June 22, 2012, 11:16:16 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto, handsome, clever, and rich, with an unknown home and happy hashes, seemed to demolish some of the best blessings of Fiat; and had lived over nine-thousand years in the Internets with very little to distress or nuke Blueseed.

Sorry Edd, had to fix it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: