Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:50:40 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which type "Proof of System" do you believe will succeed in the mainstream economy?
Proof-of-Work - 15 (21.1%)
Proof-of-Stake - 45 (63.4%)
Proof-of-Importance (NEM) - 5 (7%)
Proof-of-Work/Stake - 6 (8.5%)
Proof-of-Vote (Nubits) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 71

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of ______?  (Read 1185 times)
0nlyBTC (OP)

Activity: 289
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 07:24:55 AM

I am curious to the outcome and would appreciate your opinion on the poll. Optional: Post your opinion relevant to the question and poll choice you made. Thanks for your time.

P.S. You can change your vote on the poll, however you are only allowed one vote per person. 

Example of Proof of Importance: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=654845.0

Example of "Proof of Vote" (for lack of a better term): https://nubits.com/
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2014, 07:35:07 AM

Mark de Mesel sure believes in POS

I believe we need some long long term distribution model, but I'm not really sure it's doable

Jerrietg

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 16, 2014, 07:48:55 AM

proof of scam. pos , i think it is the main  idea this year Grin
0nlyBTC (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 07:41:33 AM

Bump
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 11:29:41 AM

Proof of nothing
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 11:32:06 AM

+1  Grin

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 12:05:13 PM

proof of scam. pos , i think it is the main  idea this year Grin

Some people worked very hard this year to perpetuate this, though the established POS crytpos are still here. The technology is intact, scams were the product of human nature (lies feeding people's greed). I only heard of a couple newborn coins that had problems where a huge proportion of funds were stored on exchanges  Roll Eyes Can you point to a POS scam that was caused by corruption of the tech/blockchain?

Fortunately, the weak/scam POS are dying/dead in this bear market. POS will remain and grow until someone proves it is insecure. The serious analytical research so far suggests that the opposite is true. The future of POS is getting brighter each day.
sniveling

Activity: 719

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 12:17:52 PM

Some people worked very hard this year to perpetuate this, though the established POS crytpos are still here. The technology is intact, scams were the product of human nature (lies feeding people's greed). I only heard of a couple newborn coins that had problems where a huge proportion of funds were stored on exchanges  Roll Eyes Can you point to a POS scam that was caused by corruption of the tech/blockchain?

Fortunately, the weak/scam POS are dying/dead in this bear market. POS will remain and grow until someone proves it is insecure. The serious analytical research so far suggests that the opposite is true. The future of POS is getting brighter each day.

Black coin's been around for a while and seems secure.
Daedelus

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 12:22:38 PM

Black coin's been around for a while and seems secure.

Has there been any research into Blackcoins implementation of POS? I know they forked Novacoin, which is based on Peercoin, but was under the impression they changed parts so you can't compare against Peer/Novacoin. The changes could open up new attack vectors.
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 12:31:12 PM

POS coins carry everything that is needed to scam people: initial distribution through IPO/ vague promises of interest/ no miners

may-be POS is victim of human nature  Grin, but POS is clearly scammer best friend...

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
Daedelus

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 01:19:49 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2014, 01:39:19 PM by Daedelus

POS coins carry everything that is needed to scam people: initial distribution through IPO/ vague promises of interest/ no miners

may-be POS is victim of human nature  Grin, but POS is clearly scammer best friend...

So just don't put money into new POS until it has shown itself to have some longevity. It is a completely different crypto landscape since the first POS cryptos were launched.

It is much easier to scam using POS, all you need is a copy and paste of a technical coins OP, change a few words/logo, add the lastest buzzwords (anon, sidechains etc.), have 3-10 sock puppets post and be enthusiastic and send some confidence payments to the genesis account. People follow the heard and give up their money willingly without knowing what they are doing. And they are eaten by sharks.

This still doesn't detract from the technology of POS, which still hasn't been breached. "Nothing at Stake" is likely to be shown to be BTC/POW propaganda, they have provided nothing to prove it is fact (even admit they only have assertions in their POS.pdf).

Blaming POS for scammers is the same as blaming telephone cables for cold callers or the internet for phishing attacks  Cheesy
krunox123

Activity: 756

I don't bite.

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 02:58:24 PM

lol Smiley

Life sucks.
bobos reloaded

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 03:04:52 PM

Proof-of-seeding.
robrigo

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 04:31:46 PM

Please add Delegated Proof of Stake (BitShares consensus algo) to the poll.

DPOS is quite different than POS and I wouldn't confuse the two.

Twitter: @robrig0

In Detroit? Want to learn more about BitShares? RSVP for the meetup! http://www.meetup.com/bitshares-worldwide/
PYneer

Activity: 178
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 05:09:51 PM

Proof of Stake  Grin

Bombadil

Activity: 644

View Profile
December 17, 2014, 07:13:49 PM

Please add Delegated Proof of Stake (BitShares consensus algo) to the poll.

DPOS is quite different than POS and I wouldn't confuse the two.

Is it a form of proof using your coin holdings? Then it's proof of stake.
It's just bullshit and hype giving it another name. Just call it proof of stake, but improved. Don't give it a new name, it only confuses the crap out of people.

PoS has evolved a lot since Peercoin, and will continue to do so. The only reason you should change its name if you want buzz/hype.
And buzz/hype without real (end-user) value is to be avoided, it only hurts the wonderful world the altcoin scene is.

Edit: Oh my, I just looked into DPOS, voting for people who can submit blocks. It's as ridiculous as Darkcoins Masternodes or Bitcoins ASIC farms. Let me make this clear:
AVOID (SEMI)CENTRALIZATION
Kthxbai Cheesy
0nlyBTC (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 01:23:55 AM

PoS? Surprising to say the least. I suppose if I posted this poll into the Bitcoin discussion, PoW would be leading. Interesting.
Notanon

Activity: 388

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 09:05:41 AM

Proof of node. By this, I mean having a dedicated node running 24/7/365 and the longer it is running, the greater the chance of receiving a reward. Might be better off paired with something else like proof of work or stake, though.
Daedelus

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 09:15:49 AM

Proof of node. By this, I mean having a dedicated node running 24/7/365 and the longer it is running, the greater the chance of receiving a reward. Might be better off paired with something else like proof of work or stake, though.

There is a very small Nxt clone called Horizon (previously NHZ, New/Nxt? Horizon) that does this as it's distribution model. Each nodes is given x coins for being online.

It has 4000+ nodes I am told so can be considered a success on that front but it doesn't seem to offer/attract users much so that is probably the reason it is 96 on coinmarketcap. Interesting idea though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: