Bitcoin Forum
July 26, 2024, 01:32:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I invested in bitcoin  (Read 7231 times)
Aemon

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 05:17:39 AM

Do you guys think Bitcoins will rebuild themselves here?  It seems rather scary and hard to get people invovled with Bitcoin continually going down for the last year.  Everyone I try to talk to tells me they don't want to get involved because it will crash
LordSonjai (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 07:19:19 AM

Do you guys think Bitcoins will rebuild themselves here?  It seems rather scary and hard to get people invovled with Bitcoin continually going down for the last year.  Everyone I try to talk to tells me they don't want to get involved because it will crash

It already crashed,it crashed probably more times than we can count. I believe its the future. No point in delaying the inevitable. Now,governments may say to hell with bitcoin,ban it and possibly make their own crypto currency. That is my worst nightmare,all this bitcoin gone to SHIT because the USA made a cryto currency and banned bitcoin. Wow what a nightmare. Anyway. What is going to end up happening is bitcoin will make us a lot of profit and once the gravy train is up people are going to want to get in on it but the price will be stabilized pass 1000. So people will instead have to seriously consider it as a currency and stop trying to get on to make a quick buck.
Aemon

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 05:27:25 PM

So you think Bitcoins are dead?  Don't you think a crash would result in such a massive drop so fast that it would be 0 dollars already?  I think its tough to say what happens for the future, I just hope that it rebounds
Demille

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 05:34:06 PM

What do you mean rebuild themselves? Tell people not to fixate on the current price but it's potential value in the future. Bitcoin is more than just a currency it's an entire network that many industries and companies can benefit from using.
Aemon

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 08:32:23 PM

What do you mean rebuild themselves? Tell people not to fixate on the current price but it's potential value in the future. Bitcoin is more than just a currency it's an entire network that many industries and companies can benefit from using.

While that is true, Bitcoins will not remain if the Cash value goes down to nothing, we would lose at least 70% of our current users and we would not get any newcomers.
bitcoiner77

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 09:56:31 PM

I've Invested in bitcoin a few different times and for a few different reasons , I do now that only one time I was scammed out of my bitcoins and all other transactions went smoothly and I love it I just wish I could have got into mining them back in the day , I am trying to Get a start-up going here in Canada and acceapt and run my bussines around bitcoin Maybe Somehow i can get funding to start up and buy a few ASIC's to start but I keep reading its failing so it makes it hard for a young fella , To want to get to heavily involved i guess,,.
darkmind

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 10:15:26 PM

I've invested a large portion of my money into bitcoin and been trading half of them since then. But each time I sell btc for fiat I feel like I'm doing the most stupid thing in the universe

BitcoinFreak12

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 01:26:10 AM

I've invested a large portion of my money into bitcoin and been trading half of them since then. But each time I sell btc for fiat I feel like I'm doing the most stupid thing in the universe

Don't Cheesy

Just trade between altcoins BTC/LTC and others, never exchange it back into fiat, maybe a small amount only if that is your income.

Do good for the community and dont devaluate bitcoins please Smiley
FeelTheBeat

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:45:40 AM

I feel ya. But it is hard to believe in bitcoin when price is dropping every day.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
BitcoinFreak12

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 02:22:43 AM

I feel ya. But it is hard to believe in bitcoin when price is dropping every day.

Just hedge between other crypto's, you can still keep your purchasing power intact and not lose money, but atleast your wealth remains in the crypto world. By exchanging it into fiat money you are comitting treason against the Gods of the Blockchain Smiley

It better if the money just flows between 1 crypto and the other, than to flow out and go back to fiat.

Pierre11

Activity: 502

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 08:27:36 AM

While that is true, Bitcoins will not remain if the Cash value goes down to nothing, we would lose at least 70% of our current users and we would not get any newcomers.

Those who truely believe in the currency aspect of bitcoin will remain if bitcoin goes to dollar parity of $1.

It is only then that it will really act as a currency.
Aemon

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:37:33 PM

Those who truely believe in the currency aspect of bitcoin will remain if bitcoin goes to dollar parity of $1.

While that is somewhat true, Bitcoin was a $1 at a time.  The thing that was driving it to increase was the amount of people gathering an interest.  I can assure you, a lot of people are here to try and get rich an don't give a hoot about what Bitcoin is or what it can do.  Once the value is no longer worth it, people will leave.
BitcoinFreak12

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 02:32:17 PM

While that is somewhat true, Bitcoin was a $1 at a time.  The thing that was driving it to increase was the amount of people gathering an interest.  I can assure you, a lot of people are here to try and get rich an don't give a hoot about what Bitcoin is or what it can do.  Once the value is no longer worth it, people will leave.

Nope, i think the African people will really drive up the Bitcoin's price.

There are many unfortunate people in africa, with crumbling economy and very inflated toiled paper money, the desperately need a stable currency and a decentralized one, with all that capital control BS that they have.

Yes a westerner might brag about 5% daily volatility of BTC, but i dont think that an African or a South American will brag about it, where they have 20-30 % inflation and huge volatility.

They would embrace anything onther than their own currency, so just spread the word in Africa and South America, and then you might see BTC to the Moon!

I have faith in those people, they really deserve a better currency!

http://siliconangle.com/files/2012/03/africa-bitcoin.png
FeelTheBeat

Activity: 700

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 05:55:28 PM

A lot of villages in Africa are without electricity how are they gonna pay with bitcoin  Huh
I think that for at least 5 years bitcoin won't be mainstream in Africa.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
BitcoinFreak12

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 06:40:01 PM

A lot of villages in Africa are without electricity how are they gonna pay with bitcoin  Huh

The way M-pesa worked, the same way bitcoin could.

Yes they dont have electricity and internet but almost everyone has mobile phones. Yes old Ericson R320, you remember that, well i`m pretty sure every african has access to those old phones.

They are not that trendy in the west anymore with all these smart phone BS propaganda, but the old phones are probalby worth 1-2$ and can be easily purchased by any african person.

They use M-pesa and other services from where you pay with your phone.

If there would be a service where you could do the same, but with bitcoin, then it would gain wider popularity amongs africans aswell.

Oh wait, there is: https://www.bitpesa.co/

Check that out, see, they already though about that. Bitcoins will become very popular in africa in the next years.

Of course offline wallets would be the better, but you are right in villager where is no electricity, its hard to operate an offline storage. But its still better than their local government money Smiley

dsly

Activity: 168

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 12:44:16 AM

Along with electricity, don't they also need an internet connection for bitcoin transactions ?

BitcoinFreak12

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 03:07:11 AM

Along with electricity, don't they also need an internet connection for bitcoin transactions ?

M-pesa and the succesor Bit-pesa (with bitcoins) work with mobile phone SMS technology.

They dont need neither electricity or internet, and almost all africans already have some form of older mobile phones where they could use Bitpesa.

Read my previous post man.
Vessko

Activity: 139

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 08:32:35 AM

Let me see if I got the reasoning right.

1) The value of Bitcoin will be driven to huge new highs because Bitcoin will be embraced by all those millions of poor people in Africa. Who don't have any money to begin with. Yeah, right. They will drive the price of Bitcoin up with their bids. That's the ticket.

2) They don't have any electricity - but they do have mobile phones. Must be some model mobile phones from an alternate reality - mobile phones that work with coal and steam.

3) Their own currency is unstable and inflating, so they will switch to Bitcoin. And not to US dollars, for instance, which are orders of magnitude more stable. Sure thing.

4) Oh, but they cannot switch to US dollars, because of the capital controls. Uh-huh, while switching to Bitcoin will be a breeze. Because the authorities there are stupid and will say "sure, go ahead, feel free to escape inflation and capital controls with Bitcoin, as long as it is not real currency like US dollars or euros". Personal disclosure: I still have some amount of money frozen in Iceland, which introduced capital controls after its economy (banks, really) crashed. Guess what, trading in Bitcoin (as well as in any  foreign currency) is prohibited there. (I think it is allowed to sell bitcoins that you have mined yourself but that's about it.) And Iceland is a free and democratic country with lots of protection of personal rights. Imagine how it would be under some tinpot dictatorship.

5) M-Pesa was successful because all you needed was an SMS-capable phone (and electricity for it, of course). Not a phone that is capable of doing SHA-256, RIPEM-160, ECC and other crap like that.

6) BitPesa doesn't let you send money to some poor African villager with no electricity. It lets you send bitcoins to one particular company, which promises to deliver Kenyan currency to the recipient of your choice. Tell me again about trustless money transfer with no need for a trusted third party. Still, Bitcoin is indeed suitable for the company that does this - since it allows cheap international money transfer to it. It is not suitable for sending money directly to the poor African villagers with no electricity.

You really ought to get out more. There is a real world out there, you know.

Not dissing Bitcoin or anything like that - it is a brilliant idea with a bright future. But the wide-eyed crazies promoting it as a solution to every world problem are really doing it a disservice. It is a mistake to try to impose it as money or a national currency or whatever. Where it really shines is as a payment method. The guys who started using it internally to allow cheap remittances for the Filipino workers in Hong Kong back home got it right. Bitcoin is suitable for them - not for the poor Filipino workers. Trying to get those workers to transact in Bitcoin would have been stupid and would have failed miserably.
BitcoinFreak12

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 06:12:57 PM

Let me see if I got the reasoning right.

1) The value of Bitcoin will be driven to huge new highs because Bitcoin will be embraced by all those millions of poor people in Africa. Who don't have any money to begin with. Yeah, right. They will drive the price of Bitcoin up with their bids. That's the ticket.
You confuse money with wealth. Yes they dont have money because their currency is crap, but they have wealth, every single able bodied african can create a product or a service that can be sold to bitcoin.

Bitcoin value is not going up just because USD and EUR as injected into it, it can also go up if products are denominated in BTC and sold in it.

How many slave factories are there in africa where they pay them 10 cent/hour? You know those poor people could do just the same on their own, and get paid in Bitcoins, futhermore they keep all the profits and not share any of it with their slavemaster employers.

I dont know they could just grow vegetables and fruits and sell them inbetween eachother, that could also grow the BTC market cap, it doesnt necesarly have to be FOREX injection.

Wealth is the one that drives up prices not money, the fiat currencies are also a representation of wealth. Just as labour, and other work, can create wealth.

2) They don't have any electricity - but they do have mobile phones. Must be some model mobile phones from an alternate reality - mobile phones that work with coal and steam.
Have you ever heard of batteries ? Its a great invetion, it makes electricity portable, google it if you dont know what it is.

3) Their own currency is unstable and inflating, so they will switch to Bitcoin. And not to US dollars, for instance, which are orders of magnitude more stable. Sure thing.
The USD is in a huge ponzi scheme debt bubble, its days of being a reserve currency are numbered, people will need some alternatives, besides USD transaction comissions are huge, i dont think that poor africans enjoy 10-20 $ comisions, when their daily wage is less than the comission they have to pay.

So yes BTC is better for poor people.

4) Oh, but they cannot switch to US dollars, because of the capital controls. Uh-huh, while switching to Bitcoin will be a breeze. Because the authorities there are stupid and will say "sure, go ahead, feel free to escape inflation and capital controls with Bitcoin, as long as it is not real currency like US dollars or euros". Personal disclosure: I still have some amount of money frozen in Iceland, which introduced capital controls after its economy (banks, really) crashed. Guess what, trading in Bitcoin (as well as in any  foreign currency) is prohibited there. (I think it is allowed to sell bitcoins that you have mined yourself but that's about it.) And Iceland is a free and democratic country with lots of protection of personal rights. Imagine how it would be under some tinpot dictatorship.

Yeah like the authorities there will care, they can only seize what they see, sure they can seize banks and other stuff there ,but BTC is more underground, unless they go house to house and check everyone's phone i highly doubt it.

5) M-Pesa was successful because all you needed was an SMS-capable phone (and electricity for it, of course). Not a phone that is capable of doing SHA-256, RIPEM-160, ECC and other crap like that.

Who said that it has to contain the blockchain? Just like smartphones do, you create an online wallet and you only need internet.

Well for older phones you could use the sms technology to send tokens that will validate the transactions, but all BTC will be stored in some online wallet.

If Bitpesa could collaborate with Blockchain.com or Coinbase.com and create an API for SMS transactions then it could work very easily.

6) BitPesa doesn't let you send money to some poor African villager with no electricity. It lets you send bitcoins to one particular company, which promises to deliver Kenyan currency to the recipient of your choice. Tell me again about trustless money transfer with no need for a trusted third party. Still, Bitcoin is indeed suitable for the company that does this - since it allows cheap international money transfer to it. It is not suitable for sending money directly to the poor African villagers with no electricity.
More obstacles, Kenyan currency is only available in Kenya but BTC could be available in all Africa.

Vessko

Activity: 139

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 09:46:41 AM

You confuse money with wealth.

I most definitely do not. However, an argument was made that a) people in Africa don't have money and b) their use of Bitcoin will drive the price of Bitcoin up, so I pointed out the idiocy of that argument.

Bitcoin value is not going up just because USD and EUR as injected into it, it can also go up if products are denominated in BTC and sold in it.

Yeah, right. And when it drives the price down instead, people will say that it's because the sellers of products convert BTC to a currency of their choice (like US dollars or whatever else doesn't fluctuate by 5% per day), putting a selling pressure on BTC. Or that the market is manipulated. Or that it's all a secret government plot. Or whatever.

How many slave factories are there in africa where they pay them 10 cent/hour? You know those poor people could do just the same on their own, and get paid in Bitcoins, futhermore they keep all the profits and not share any of it with their slavemaster employers.

Uh-huh. Why don't the slave workers in China do that already? Bitcoin is much more popular there, you know.

I dont know they could just grow vegetables and fruits and sell them inbetween eachother, that could also grow the BTC market cap, it doesnt necesarly have to be FOREX injection.

Lulz. I don't think that you understand what a "market cap" is.

Wealth is the one that drives up prices not money, the fiat currencies are also a representation of wealth. Just as labour, and other work, can create wealth.

This is an interesting hodge-podge of economic theories, some of them right, some of them wrong. Wealth drives prices up - false. Money doesn't drive prices up - true. Currencies (not just fiat) are only a representation of wealth - true. Labor creates wealth - partially true, in the sense that it's only one of the factors.

Have you ever heard of batteries ? Its a great invetion, it makes electricity portable, google it if you dont know what it is.

So, they do have electricity, only it's portable? Okey-dokey. Of course, a phone battery lasts only a few days (even if the phone isn't used), so they must have easy and convenient way of replacing or recharging them. Recharging them requires electricity. Replacing them requires a store, which also requires electricity.

The USD is in a huge ponzi scheme debt bubble, its days of being a reserve currency are numbered

Lulz. You clearly do not understand what a "reserve currency" means. All competing currencies will fail first and while nothing lasts forever, you and I might be lucky enough not to live to see it. Well, at least I. I'm considered somewhat old already.

people will need some alternatives

Uh-huh, like something in which they can park 150 freaking trillions worth of US dollars (we are talking "reserve currency", remember?). Alternatives like US dollar-denominated US Treasurys and.... OK, you got me, I can't think of anything else suitable for the purpose.

besides USD transaction comissions are huge, i dont think that poor africans enjoy 10-20 $ comisions, when their daily wage is less than the comission they have to pay.

For international transfers, yes. For day-to-day small exchanges it costs nothing; you only need to have banknotes. Oh, yes, and you need a government that would let you use them.

Yeah like the authorities there will care

Trust me, governments do care, especially when money is involved. It's not like I have millions frozen in Iceland. It's the equivalent of some silly $10k US dollars. (Well, was the equivalent of that when they blocked it; by now inflation should have eaten most of it.) I even hired a lawyer to petition the central bank to allow the transaction, because it's such a small amount. No can do, said the central bank, "it would destabilize the krona". Are you freaking kidding me?! If a currency would be "destabilized" by such a pitiful exchange, it surely isn't very "stable" to begin with, no? But, hey, that's governments to you...

sure they can seize banks and other stuff there ,but BTC is more underground, unless they go house to house and check everyone's phone i highly doubt it.

They can seize the payment processor that accepts BTC, like BitPesa, and I think I already explained to you why direct BTC transactions with poor villagers with no electricity is a phantasy.

Who said that it has to contain the blockchain? Just like smartphones do, you create an online wallet and you only need internet.

It's not the blockchain size that is the problem - most mobile phone wallets don't contain it, either. But you still need to do the crypto stuff on the phone, in order to sign your transactions and to verify the incoming ones.

Well for older phones you could use the sms technology to send tokens that will validate the transactions,

Do you even know how M-Pesa works? SMS can't "validate" anything. SMS just tells your "money holder" (who knows your phone number and whom you must trust) "send this amount of money to the account of that phone number".

but all BTC will be stored in some online wallet.

Uh-huh, and then you get

• "We were hacked" (read: the CEO ran away with your money)
  • "Government closed us down and took all the money"
  • "But Coinbase is tracking my purchases!"

Oh, well, whatever. Keep dreaming.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: