Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:50:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL FPGAs in temporary residence while waiting for ASICs ?  (Read 3405 times)
Transisto (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 04:35:20 AM

I haven't been folowing everything BFL related, Please enlighten me on the fpgas and asics ETA.
I wish I could purchase BFL FPGAs and have them returned for ASICs, but if I'm to be able to mine on the FPGAs for a few month only and have to pay shipping back and forth it wouldn't be worth it...

It's ~100$ lost for shipping back and forth for a single and 400$ on a mini rig. 

Wouldn't it be better if someone at driving distance from BFL could take care of mining with the FPGAs for us while we get our ASICs ready ?
(While paying electricity and maintenance fees.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BFL

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 04:38:50 AM

I haven't been folowing everything BFL related, Please enlighten me on the fpgas and asics ETA.
I wish I could purchase BFL FPGAs and have them returned for ASICs, but if I'm to be able to mine on the FPGAs for a few month only and have to pay shipping back and forth it wouldn't be worth it...

It's ~100$ lost for shipping back and forth for a single and 400$ on a mini rig.  

Wouldn't it be better if someone at driving distance from BFL could take care of mining with the FPGAs for us while we get our ASICs ready ?

Inaba came by the office today and we spoke about just this issue.  Several overseas customers have been asking about this as well and it does make quite a lot of sense.  Inaba runs a data center of course...  and he's a stone's throw away from our office, so I expect he'll have a packaged solution worked up pretty soon.

Butterfly Labs  -  www.butterflylabs.com  -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 04:43:27 AM

This would be epic.

BCbitcoin

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 04:58:02 AM

With asic rigs shipping out in 3 months there will probably be a few prototypes lying around for the finishing touches on the design of the aluminum cases etc. You could just mine on one in house and direct the equivalent hash power at the purchasers of the mini rigs. That way you wouldn't have to tote them around and everyone would be happy.
Luceo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Per aspera ad astra!

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 06:10:11 AM

Inaba came by the office today and we spoke about just this issue.  Several overseas customers have been asking about this as well and it does make quite a lot of sense.  Inaba runs a data center of course...  and he's a stone's throw away from our office, so I expect he'll have a packaged solution worked up pretty soon.

This would be brilliant for those who have been waiting on deliveries.

bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 12:07:39 PM

With asic rigs shipping out in 3 months there will probably be a few prototypes lying around for the finishing touches on the design of the aluminum cases etc. You could just mine on one in house and direct the equivalent hash power at the purchasers of the mini rigs. That way you wouldn't have to tote them around and everyone would be happy.

Who pays the electricity and maintenance costs ?
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 12:11:50 PM

Only in Fairy tale land  Grin
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 05:29:52 PM

This is an interesting proposition and I wait patiently to see what Inaba comes up with.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
BrimStone

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 06:00:18 PM

I am also looking forward to seeing what comes out of this idea.

BitCoin Addr: 1GvcrpJmvC9wsdAndVnMFLc7dD9Yeo1ggU
allten

Activity: 455

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 06:34:51 PM

Something similar to this is exactly what I was hoping for to solve the "fairness" issue when it comes to who gets the ASICs first.
Just have Inaba mine with all the equipment coming off the assembly line and everyone that had initial orders would have shares in the mining venture. Once there was enough mining equipment to satisfy all the initial orders, you send them all out. Seemed like a great idea, but didn't sell very well. If you added that option, I would take it in a heart beat.
Would save me on shipping too because I've a ton of those little Jalapenos and I'm split between getting a few here and a few there to at least get some early compared to paying shipping once and getting all of them later.

Please consider this idea as an option.

byte1

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 06:40:42 PM

I like that idea. Now, i want to keep my Mini-Rig order intact ;-)

dave3

Activity: 344

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 06:28:39 AM

I can just see a rack in a data center filled with coffee warmers.  Smiley

Well, I guess that would come later since there's no FPGA coffee warmers in the interim.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 01:44:57 AM

Hey guys,

I am pricing out additional floor capacity right now.  I should have more info in the next day or two once some of the quotes wind their way back to me.  I think I can work out a deal that everyone will be happy with and save you time and money.  I should hopefully be able to take on equipment within a week or so.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
somenick
Legendary

Activity: 1286
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 07:24:39 PM

How many people who bought the Singles, and is not resident USA ?
Transisto (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 07:34:15 PM

How many people bought Singles and are not USA resident ?
?
Fixed your sentense

You might want to ask BFL,  I don't see why they would answer though.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 08:41:48 PM

Ok, I've got some numbers back.  I need a head count of how many people are interested and the number of machines.  If you do not want to make that public, just PM me your info.  Once I get a rough final count, I can negotiate the price for the space properly. 

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 08:45:44 PM

How many people bought Singles and are not USA residents?
?
Fixed your sentense

You might want to ask BFL,  I don't see why they would answer though.

Fixed your fix of his sentence.  Wink
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 08:49:46 PM

Ok, I've got some numbers back.  I need a head count of how many people are interested and the number of machines.  If you do not want to make that public, just PM me your info.  Once I get a rough final count, I can negotiate the price for the space properly. 

This would depend on how it affects one's upgrade from FPGAs to ASICs.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 08:53:07 PM

This would depend on how it affects one's upgrade from FPGAs to ASICs.

I am working directly with BFL on this.  It will not affect your upgrade, other than get it to you faster.  It will also save your shipping costs, as BFL will not charge you shipping if you are hosting them here locally in KC (also means you don't have to pay for return shipping and you get the upgrade immediately instead of waiting for your unit to make it's way back to BFL when your upgrade turn comes up). 

SgtSpike
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 08:55:48 PM

I'd be interested, for 2 singles (provided my order for 4 gets changed over properly to 2 current-gen and 2 SC).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: