Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:10:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Guns  (Read 22165 times)
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 08:51:55 PM

Myrkul,

Here are some shootings for you: www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/pdf/major-shootings.pdf

Why don't you get to tallying, graphing, calculating, and hypothesizing?

Or, you could just be honest and admit that you already know all the numbers in the world won't convince you.

In my experience, the side that can't address their points with serious intellectual honesty is usually the wrong one. You don't need cheap tactics and underhanded behavior when logic and facts are in your favor.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 08:53:03 PM

Or, you could just be honest and admit that you already know all the numbers in the world won't convince you.

In my experience, the side that can't address their points with serious intellectual honesty is usually the wrong one. You don't need cheap tactics and underhanded behavior when logic and facts are in your favor.

In my experience, people who says this are usually the guilty ones.
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 08:56:23 PM

Go right ahead. Here, this link, and the pages connected to it, should help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers:_Americas

Should be enough data there to weave a rope to hang yourself with. I'll even allow three categories: stopped by cop (arrested, killed by police), Stopped by citizen (or mob), and Not stopped (suicide, escaped). Have fun,  and remember, I'll be checking your data.

Really? Learn to read first. Go back to the page and read. Now collect all of the data that I need - each incident must have a compete story. (And don't forget to include school massacres, workplace killings, hate crimes)

No, no, no.... You said you were countering my useless statistics with your useless statistics. My useless statistics have already been posted: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=90086.msg1063729#msg1063729 We're waiting on yours, now. All the links are there to collect all the data you want to make an average. Go on, I'll wait.

I already countered that with two shootings where cops stopped a guy with only 1 victim each. Your statistics failed to include that, and it's useless.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=90086.msg1064328#msg1064328

Selectively picked statistics (by a third party) is a huge LOL.

FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 08:57:52 PM

Myrkul,

Here are some shootings for you: www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/pdf/major-shootings.pdf

Whatever it is you said, it doesn't apply to me.

For example:

Hence the reason that myrkul needs to be intellectually honest, instead of selective in his data choices.
TheBitcoinChemist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 09:04:54 PM

Myrkul,

For example:

Hence the reason that myrkul needs to be intellectually honest, instead of selective in his data choices.

Perhaps he is biased in his data choices, and simply is not aware of it.  That's not intellectually dishonest, just normal bias.  We all have bias, expecially journalists.  So rather than argue that his data is cherry picked (which it certainly is, but not necessarily with an intent towards biasing the data set) why don't you run down that list of rampages that he provided for you (from Wikipedia, not exactly a source known to pick sides) and do the average for the entire thing and let's see what the whole data set says.
TheBitcoinChemist

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 09:06:47 PM

Myrkul,

Now that's a bias fail.  The Brady Campaign isn't exactly a neutral data source, and one known for huge cherry picking of data sets in their own right. 
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 09:17:12 PM

Myrkul,

For example:

Perhaps he is biased in his data choices, and simply is not aware of it.  That's not intellectually dishonest, just normal bias.  We all have bias, expecially journalists.  So rather than argue that his data is cherry picked (which it certainly is, but not necessarily with an intent towards biasing the data set) why don't you run down that list of rampages that he provided for you (from Wikipedia, not exactly a source known to pick sides) and do the average for the entire thing and let's see what the whole data set says.

Don't bother. FirstAscent has no intention of doing that much work. Why would he? He doesn't care about the actual influence of guns on crime anyway. Again, for him, the real desire is to strictly control the average, peaceful, innocent citizen's gun ownership. The fact that he won't address this moral angle (probably because he knows he'd lose the argument,) but instead attempts to get others running in circles producing data that he knows won't convince him, and knows will always be able to be nitpicked, speaks volumes.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
TheBitcoinChemist

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 09:18:43 PM

That Silver Circle movie seems like something I might be willing to contribute towards, but they don't take Bitcoins it seems.  Which is kind of strange, since they are obviously fine with taking US $.
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 09:20:51 PM

Myrkul,

Now that's a bias fail.  The Brady Campaign isn't exactly a neutral data source, and one known for huge cherry picking of data sets in their own right. 

It's more data. Certainly 62 pages of data for seven or so years trumps myrkul's one page of data for forty some years. You think?

Merge the data, if you so please.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 09:23:45 PM

That Silver Circle movie seems like something I might be willing to contribute towards, but they don't take Bitcoins it seems.  Which is kind of strange, since they are obviously fine with taking US $.

A lot of people in the hard money camp (gold/silver over fiat) have a hard time with Bitcoin. They think that because it's unbacked, it must be just another type of fiat, and destined for worthlessness. Convincing them of the cryptographic integrity of the 21-million cap is probably the best way to get around that sentiment, but it's a slow, difficult process, especially for those who are not very math/tech savvy.

TheBitcoinChemist

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 10:41:33 PM

Myrkul,

It's more data. Certainly 62 pages of data for seven or so years trumps myrkul's one page of data for forty some years. You think?

Merge the data, if you so please.

Not me, I've no interest in trying to prove any such thing.  I think that whether or not a armed population limits rampages or not is statistically insignificant overall, even though I'll admit up front that my own life's experiences bias myself toward believeing that mykerl is correct.  I don't think that the practical argument is what really matters, as the results in either direction are not significant enough to overcome the predispositions on either side; as both yourself and myself are evidence of.

My argument is more basic.  Self defense is a basic human right, and if I, as an average citizen, are denied access to the most effective forms of defense that I can afford by any reason whatever, then my basic human right has been infringed.  Sure, I'm still responsible for what I do with those tools, but they are just tools.  If I never need to use it, then it's still worked for me; but if I should be so unlucky as to have to use a weapon in my own defense, I'm okay with being required to justify my actions to an impartial jury.  But not one that is predisposed to beleive that the mere act of ownership of a tool is criminal, regardless of it's design characteristics.
TheBitcoinChemist

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 10:55:28 PM

Now that's a bias fail.  The Brady Campaign isn't exactly a neutral data source, and one known for huge cherry picking of data sets in their own right.  

And no, more data does not equal to less bias.  Wikipedia is limiting itself to 'rampages' or 'mass killings' wherein one nutter goes off and starts shooting multiple people with whom s/he has no prior contact.  The Brady Campaign includes a great deal of events that involved crimes of passion, career criminals with guns, organized crime, inter-famililar violence (such as spouse abuse), etc.  In other words, they include a great deal of data on events that had causes/triggers having little or nothing to do with whether or not guns were used as the means to the end.  Nor do they bother to gather the same data on such events that did not include a firearm.  Again, the weapon is just a tool with a deliberate purpose.  The most successful career muggers are almost invariablely those who use weapons other than a firearm within juristictions that make it difficult for an average citizen to carry a firearm.  Usually knives.  Ironically, we even have the effects of such events in US law, as it's illegal to import, manufacture or sell a knife that is intended to be opened with a single action; thus switchblades & 'butterfly' knives are banned in the US.  I'm still waiting for the one armed war vet to sue for discrimination.  They didn't blame the criminal element for using the best tools (in this case, switchblades & butterfly knives) available to them for their crimes, they again blamed the manufacturers of such tools for making their products too easy to use.
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 03:55:25 AM

And no, more data does not equal to less bias.  Wikipedia is limiting itself to 'rampages' or 'mass killings' wherein one nutter goes off and starts shooting multiple people with whom s/he has no prior contact.  The Brady Campaign includes a great deal of events that involved crimes of passion, career criminals with guns, organized crime, inter-famililar violence (such as spouse abuse), etc.  In other words, they include a great deal of data on events that had causes/triggers having little or nothing to do with whether or not guns were used as the means to the end.  Nor do they bother to gather the same data on such events that did not include a firearm.  Again, the weapon is just a tool with a deliberate purpose.  The most successful career muggers are almost invariablely those who use weapons other than a firearm within juristictions that make it difficult for an average citizen to carry a firearm.  Usually knives.  Ironically, we even have the effects of such events in US law, as it's illegal to import, manufacture or sell a knife that is intended to be opened with a single action; thus switchblades & 'butterfly' knives are banned in the US.  I'm still waiting for the one armed war vet to sue for discrimination.  They didn't blame the criminal element for using the best tools (in this case, switchblades & butterfly knives) available to them for their crimes, they again blamed the manufacturers of such tools for making their products too easy to use.

From the above quote, it seems clear to me that your focus with regard to data is mass shootings, essentially deeming crimes of passion, career criminals with guns, family violence, and, I would add firearm accidents, as being irrelevant to the argument regarding gun control.

And yet, you write this as well:

I think that whether or not a armed population limits rampages or not is statistically insignificant overall, even though I'll admit up front that my own life's experiences bias myself toward believeing that mykerl is correct.  I don't think that the practical argument is what really matters, as the results in either direction are not significant enough to overcome the predispositions on either side; as both yourself and myself are evidence of.

Here, you state that mass shootings are statistically insignificant.

You seem to be contradicting yourself as to what is relevant with regard to gun injuries. Myrkul wishes to be selective. You wish to be entirely indifferent, or contradictory at best.

Tell me now, would you be so indifferent or contradictory if you were one of the injured on Brady's list, or a friend or family member of one of the casualties on Brady's list? Certainly you wouldn't mind trading places with one of the affected in the theater shooting, given that you think such shootings are insignificant. Or perhaps you might wish to trade places with any of the affected on Brady's list that aren't designated a mass shooting, as you've said that that kind of data doesn't really count. 
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 04:00:24 AM

From the above quote, it seems clear to me that your focus with regard to data is mass shootings

Think that might be because the discussion is focusing on mass shootings?  Roll Eyes

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:08:20 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2012, 04:26:32 AM by FirstAscent

From the above quote, it seems clear to me that your focus with regard to data is mass shootings

Think that might be because the discussion is focusing on mass shootings?  Roll Eyes

No. The title of the thread is "Guns". Are other gun deaths and injuries somehow not deaths and injuries?  
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 04:45:51 AM

Think that might be because the discussion is focusing on mass shootings?  Roll Eyes

No. The title of the thread is "Guns". Are other gun deaths and injuries somehow not deaths and injuries?  

The thread is entitled "Guns", but the discussion is currently focusing on mass shootings, just like before, it focused on other aspects of the topic. Perhaps, one day, you may be brave enough to address the moral aspect. But I doubt it.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 04:57:13 AM

The thread is entitled "Guns", but the discussion is currently focusing on mass shootings, just like before, it focused on other aspects of the topic. Perhaps, one day, you may be brave enough to address the moral aspect. But I doubt it.

Is it focused on mass shootings because you have somehow deemed that mass shootings are the only relevant data with regard to gun control? What if others feel compelled to point out specifically that guns as they relate to society actually should factor in other gun related deaths and injuries?

Is the reason that other related gun deaths are not relevant to gun control because you feel it's appropriate that such gun death data and injuries are simply not important? That's a tautology.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 05:22:46 AM

Is it focused on mass shootings because you have somehow deemed that mass shootings are the only relevant data with regard to gun control?

No, it's focused on mass shootings because we are talking about mass shootings. Roll Eyes

FirstAscent

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 05:28:54 AM

Is it focused on mass shootings because you have somehow deemed that mass shootings are the only relevant data with regard to gun control?

No, it's focused on mass shootings because we are talking about mass shootings. Roll Eyes

And thus your attempt to explain why you are only talking about mass shootings is essentially a tautology.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 05:31:03 AM

And thus your attempt to explain why you are only talking about mass shootings is essentially a tautology.

And your point is...?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: