Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:16:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S6 speculation  (Read 19201 times)
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 08:33:48 AM

There is a roumor that S5 can do up to 2 Th... Why do we need next AntMiner in this case?  Smiley

at stock is running at 50+C how the hell will it reach 2th!

With BTC so low I don't see them rushing it.  I think it will be a little while.   

they are rushing it for sure! not on the market but in their own farms Cheesy
and it depends a lot on the rest of manufacturers: AM, SPTECH, etc. if one is coming with something new and powerful to the market, bitmain will not want to loose a piece of it's own pie...
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 02:00:53 PM

I bet if you run an S5 on about 16V and keep it immersed about a -25C tank you could get 2TH out of it. For a while. Before the chips start breaking down internally.

As for S6, I'd like to see them make blades that slide into S2 chassis. They specifically said they wouldn't make BM1382 boards for the S2 because it was still profitable, but that's getting pretty tight these days and within a few months probably all of them will be turned off. With a string miner it'll take a bit of finagling to get the power draw right for the internal PSU, but I'd really like to see an efficient DC-DC converter over top of the string with software-controlled voltage output so the user can custom under/overvolt. That opens up a lot of options both for the manufactured stock configuration and user-defined operating points.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 07, 2015, 05:44:42 PM

As for S6, I'd like to see them make blades that slide into S2 chassis. They specifically said they wouldn't make BM1382 boards for the S2 because it was still profitable, but that's getting pretty tight these days and within a few months probably all of them will be turned off. With a string miner it'll take a bit of finagling to get the power draw right for the internal PSU, but I'd really like to see an efficient DC-DC converter over top of the string with software-controlled voltage output so the user can custom under/overvolt. That opens up a lot of options both for the manufactured stock configuration and user-defined operating points.

+1 I still have a bunch of S2s that I had hopes of upgrading.  The upgrade path was the only reason I bought them.
topminingcontracts

Activity: 532

TaaS is a closed-end fund designated to blockchain

View Profile WWW
February 07, 2015, 11:53:24 PM

I bet S6 will have better efficiency with the same S5 chip.

And about 25% more efficient I guess 0.38 W/G

JG

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
bigblind

Activity: 378
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 12:11:32 PM

when would you expect them to come? q2/q3?
AbuGarcia

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 03:53:12 PM

I bet S6 will have better efficiency with the same S5 chip.

And about 25% more efficient I guess 0.38 W/G

JG

I think slightly before s6 they will come out with s2.5
PCB replacement boards for the s2, each board 250ghs
I just hope they don't charge too much.
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 07:25:12 PM

Looks like S2 upgrade boards are imminent.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=728068.msg10435170#msg10435170

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
mavericklm

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 08:28:37 PM

a bit late as i already sold few of my s2.
curious if it will be 1kw or it will need higher wattage psu
arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1414

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 08:31:11 PM

upgrading will most likely cost like 50% of the new type i guess, considering that, id get a new one anyway, so upgrading isnt really an option for me

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 08:36:06 PM

Remember Bitmain had 100mh/s miners for scrypt?

Did they deliver (it was pre-order?), and how/why did that turn out/no more scrypt miners?

I'd buy a scrypt miner if it was decently priced, there aren't really any options now.
mavericklm

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 09:33:52 PM

it got cancelled
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 10:21:06 PM

The scrypt market has changed quite a bit since that couple of weeks when Litecoin was trading at $40.

I need to fetch a couple S2 sometime. All I have is the kit, not the stock version, so it'd be good to have a stock and a second stock to upgrade, for the museum.

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2015, 03:49:24 PM

Did they deliver (it was pre-order?), and how/why did that turn out/no more scrypt miners?

I'd buy a scrypt miner if it was decently priced, there aren't really any options now.

Yep, they attempted to do the pre order model to fund their production of the L1, but it backfired and ultimately got cancelled.

Eventually, they did right by their customers as far as refunds or credits:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=768004.0

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 11:15:35 PM

Yep, they attempted to do the pre order model to fund their production of the L1, but it backfired and ultimately got cancelled.

Eventually, they did right by their customers as far as refunds or credits:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=768004.0

They refunded but it doesn't mean people didn't suffered a lot.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 01:13:50 AM

Oh.  Thanks for the answer guys.

Yeah scrypt/litecoin has gone to the shitters...but i find a lot of fun coins to mine/discover aren't SHA-256 and if a scrypt/other algo asic was DECENTLY priced i would buy it just for fun.  I used to mine obscure coins and hope for the best.  most didnt work out (im looking at you magic internet money...that was fun though), but some did, and that was very profitable.
btcminer021

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Mine hard!

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 03:48:00 PM

I'm curious about specs for the S6, too. Power by me is about $0.20 to $0.25 per KWH. Unless the power consumption drops dramatically or the GH/s increases substantially I won't be able to mine any more. Glad I got some while GPU mining was still profitable!

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options and Double Dice  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
████████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ████████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, 1% edge double dice] ↑↓
fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:12:48 PM

Will these be sold like the S2 kits; or as boards only requiring existing blade heatsinks / S2 backplane & controller?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:50:56 PM

Will these be sold like the S2 kits; or as boards only requiring existing blade heatsinks / S2 backplane & controller?

Thanks for link.  I wonder if they are making a new chip for "power consumpiton at wall will be less than 0.4W/G." or if they somehow found a way to underclock it.

If new chips would be a good time to see a S6 aswell.  With Holiday would be a good time to retool for a new model (But most likely people will want to spend it with family which no one can blame them for).
charles99

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 09:01:37 AM

When is S6 coming out?  Or a new spondoolies coming out?
sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 02:02:31 PM

Seems likely the S2 Upgrade is the same chip in the S5, set at a lower voltage and clock. They won't make a whole new chip in two months. Probably the next ASIC from them will be around July/August based on the times between the last few generations.

I haven't seen any actual word on the S6, but it makes sense the actual mining boards would be a similar configuration as the S2 upgrades - same stock clock and string length, etc. Possibly even the same boards, but who knows.

It's probably better to ask in a Spondoolies speculation thread instead of a Bitmain speculation thread, when the next SPxx is appearing.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: