Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:24:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the CGMINER developer get a loaner unit from BFL?  (Read 6216 times)
bitcoindaddy (OP)

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 12:06:44 PM

Will the developer of CGMINER (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0) get a unit to facilitate the development and testing with the ASIC hardware? It would be nice to have working third-party software when the ASICs ship so we don't have expensive paper weights.
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tnkflx

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 12:42:07 PM

+1

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
Keefe

Activity: 681

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 01:11:35 PM

Even if as much as 100 TH of new hardware is delivered all at once on release day, anyone able to immediately use the new hardware will recover about 25% of their investment in the first 2 days (if starting right after a difficulty adjustment).

If software isn't ready and tested in advance, it will be a mad scramble to figure it out as the first units arrive, and minutes will be significant. Please arrange for at least one mining program to be tested in advance and ready to be used the moment deliveries occur.

Buckwheet

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Green Mining 85% Cheaper

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 02:01:05 PM

Even if as much as 100 TH of new hardware is delivered all at once on release day, anyone able to immediately use the new hardware will recover about 25% of their investment in the first 2 days (if starting right after a difficulty adjustment).

If software isn't ready and tested in advance, it will be a mad scramble to figure it out as the first units arrive, and minutes will be significant. Please arrange for at least one mining program to be tested in advance and ready to be used the moment deliveries occur.

I would think that EasyMiner would work with them. You would make a decent amount of money just using Eclipse at that point.

MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 02:31:26 PM

You might want to check your math. BFL website says that block mining software is included.
bitcoindaddy (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 02:34:27 PM

You might want to check your math. BFL website says that block mining software is included.

Yes, I've seen it, no thanks. I don't want to be forced to mine another pool
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 02:36:54 PM

Yes, I've seen it, no thanks. I don't want to be forced to mine another pool

If your one of the first to get your ASIC, solo mining seems pretty viable Wink
DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 02:37:44 PM

Do you think Eclipse will be able to handle 100 TH/s ?

Solo-mining ! The way to go Smiley
bitcoindaddy (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 02:37:51 PM

If your one of the first to get your ASIC, solo mining seems pretty viable Wink

Agreed, but BFL's software won't do SOLO mining.
Buckwheet

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Green Mining 85% Cheaper

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 02:39:31 PM

Who knows? I am sure Inaba would pay attention to the state of the software available and if the only thing is EasyMiner then my assumption would be he would try and prepare for it.

Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 05:44:15 PM

This is NAIVE. BFL will "test" all prepared units. At the time they start to ship and your HW will be delivered, the network difficulty will be already adjusted (multiple times up).

Remember my words.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 05:48:00 PM

This is NAIVE. BFL will "test" all prepared units. At the time they start to ship and your HW will be delivered, the network difficulty will be already adjusted (multiple times up).

Remember my words.

From what I can tell, they don't actually test their products with live BTC mining for more than about 5-10 minutes. The network is not going to adjust THAT much before they start shipping.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 05:49:35 PM

Remember my words.

They test them using their own algorithms, and checking whether the results match their expected results.
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2012, 05:52:48 PM

I wrote "test". You can call it burn-in. Or pre-mining.

If you would have 15 (100, 300?) TH at hands, you will definitely try to mine with them before you ship them out. So will do BFL.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
KIDC

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 03:58:39 AM

Obviously the right thing to do on a moral and customer support basis is for the cgminer team (ckolivas primarily, probably luke-jr if needed and maybe kano too) should get early access to both the specification/protocol for BitForce SC as well as an early unit prototype or something so that full cgminer support will be available when the product line ships. My personal opinion is that BFL has a moral obligation to do this. However, clearly BFL is a for-profit company and may not wish to spend the time/funds to do this since they will have a market monopoly already.

I would like a BFL representative to make an official statement regarding this soon. If BFL isn't going to oblige then as a community we need to get together and help out the cgminer team continue with their constant hard work. I myself am willing to donate in this regard.

I'm sure me and the rest of the community won't forget BFL's decision on this - whichever way they decide.

"He who controls the past commands the future. He who commands the future, conquers the past."
dave3

Activity: 344

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 04:50:02 AM

They test them using their own algorithms, and checking whether the results match their expected results.

I wrote "test". You can call it burn-in. Or pre-mining.

If you would have 15 (100, 300?) TH at hands, you will definitely try to mine with them before you ship them out. So will do BFL.

This is my understanding from what they've said in the past;  as SgtSpike said, they test them using their own algorithms.  Then they do a small live mining test after that as a sanity check.

Not sure if that will change with the ASIC units or not, though (I'm not expecting it to).
dave3

Activity: 344

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:04:12 AM

+1 on what KIDC said.  I'll be disappointed if BFL doesn't work with the cgminer development team to make sure cgminer can support their new ASIC devices before customers start to receive them.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and guess they haven't responded because they're swamped with order questions right now, it's still early (several months before they're shipping), and they don't have any actual units yet to test with/develop for anyway.

Even if there's other mining software available, the failover functionality of cgminer alone makes it really important.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 07:51:47 AM

Thanks guys. I'm watching BFL's movements closely on this one as it likely will determine what I'll be doing long term with bitcoin mining.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 09:54:08 AM

Who knows? I am sure Inaba would pay attention to the state of the software available and if the only thing is EasyMiner then my assumption would be he would try and prepare for it.

WHAT ? You don't want Inaba and EMC to do a 51% with all them juicy ASICs ?

Call me crazy but it sounds just perfect for me !

No cgminer needed. This is not GPU. CGMiner is perfect for GPUs.

ASIC will probably come with EasyMiner software and Inaba EMC 51% kill bitcoin switch sadly Cry
bitcoindaddy (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 11:37:13 AM

Having support for CGMINER greatly increases the value of these units for miners. I would think it would be in BFL's best interests to have CGMINER support ready to go and tested before the new ASIC units ship.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: