Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:05:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Now Funded] Help build a better Bitcoin logo!  (Read 35212 times)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:40:07 AM

Although the BTC is recognized and has built a brand, I don't particularly like it, and prefer the latin B with horizontal bar...

I don't usually say this out loud, but... that one looks like a guy with a stick up his a...ss

I don't usually say this out loud, but BTC looks like an aerial view of a woman with large breasts and very small arms, beheaded. Headless bodies are more disconcerting to me than sodomy, so +1 for the Ƀ.

Hmm, good point, never thought of that one  Grin

What do you see now from up there... ɃBTC

Dude that is just gross!  Shocked

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MathCampbell

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:47:47 AM

OK, so I know this isn't what is really wanted by Coinabul, he wanted no gradients etc. but a lot of people seem to like the current one, so I knocked up  vector version thereof, adjusted with the new symbol.

http://i.minus.com/jZT9ORSBwSQYR.png

That's the full-res 512x512 PNG icon, for your use wherever etc. and if you want the original Illustrator file, it's here http://minus.com/lojcsnZ9ayjAT.
Finally, in the extremely unlikely event you find this usable etc. you can toss me some cents here 1EUGrS4nRKpTtMrfbwwq4EziYpVCF8vym6.
Although it's pretty crappy really, just an update of a not-that-great icon, and it only took me an hour or so, from scratch.

I think I may work on a proper new logo design...I still kinda like the idea of sticking with the coin though...just removing the need for gradients etc. and making it a logo, instead of an icon (which is what it currently is!).
Timbo925

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:36:12 AM

Can I get a version like the one in my avatar, but with?

I want one that says:

BITCOIN
  Get GoXXXed.

LOL This is bad ass.  That's my new avatar.  I sent you 0.37 BTC. (Had to round off the wallet to an even number)

Thanks man Cheesy
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:40:28 AM

OK, so I know this isn't what is really wanted by Coinabul, he wanted no gradients etc. but a lot of people seem to like the current one, so I knocked up  vector version thereof, adjusted with the new symbol.

That's the full-res 512x512 PNG icon, for your use wherever etc. and if you want the original Illustrator file, it's here http://minus.com/lojcsnZ9ayjAT.
Finally, in the extremely unlikely event you find this usable etc. you can toss me some cents here 1EUGrS4nRKpTtMrfbwwq4EziYpVCF8vym6.
Although it's pretty crappy really, just an update of a not-that-great icon, and it only took me an hour or so, from scratch.

I think I may work on a proper new logo design...I still kinda like the idea of sticking with the coin though...just removing the need for gradients etc. and making it a logo, instead of an icon (which is what it currently is!).

to which address can a send a tipp?
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:39:18 PM

I think this will look very nice, as soon as you use the actual Bitcoin symbol BTC instead of whatever ugly symbol you have used
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 12:48:11 PM

Integration with the new BTC symbol: Ƀ (U+0243)

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/243/index.htm

MathCampbell

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:04:06 PM

Thanks guys...I will open up a thread if that's what you want.  Not doing this for coin, really.  Currently sitting down trying to come up with a "proper" one for corporate usage etc. (ie to print on t-shirts, use on sites as an "accepted here" thing, one-colour, better for printing at small sizes etc.), may do either a stylised coin, or perhaps a new design entirely...
If you did give me a tip though, thanks very much, it is always appreciated.  I promise to spend it wisely, on beer and pizza, in accordance with tradition.

AQ: I must admit I'm not fond of the new Ƀ symbol either, but it's what the community appears to be coalescing around.  I understand the arguments about the old one holding brand-appeal, and being well-recognised, especially since as a currency, you want to retain brand-value even more than a traditional company like Apple or McDonalds etc. do with their logo.  But, all the same, it weas taken first by the Thai currency, and the double-stalked BTC a) isn't in Unicode, and b) looks very american, which I don't have a problem with, but I know some do across the world, so the community wants Ƀ, the community gets Ƀ.

But, this is an open-source, anything goes project.  You *can* get what you want.

http://i.minus.com/jdcoNdOQO0ZZb.png

As before, 1EUGrS4nRKpTtMrfbwwq4EziYpVCF8vym6
scribe

Activity: 295

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 02:43:21 PM

Watching this thread with interest. I think some of (my) confusion comes from whether you're going for a currency symbol, a technology logo, or a company branding - each needs slightly different approaches IMHO.

I like the idea that a Bitcoin symbol would be a) easy to write, b) easy to type. Continuing on the Unicode path, a couple caught my eye:

In the Georgian set: ფ as it looks like a B with a coin in the corner (e.g. "Pay me back my ფ300 damn you")
Maths: ⊕ as it looks like a coin with a plus on it. Maybe combined with a B (e.g. "That'll be B⊕300 please")
Alternatively, ⟴ which has an arrow, like a coin MOVING THROUGH CYBERSPACE. ("Donate ⟴1 to me")

Personally I still quite like the current symbol but with some slight tweaks. I'll see if I can illustrate some basic thoughts some time.

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:45:42 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2012, 03:27:21 PM by psy

hmm... That BTC floating over the coin looks strange  Undecided
Other than that it looks good.
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 03:01:15 PM

The right solution would be: someone should register BTC as an official unicode character.
Has been tried before https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7215.0, but it seems that this guy vanished in the meantime.
adamas
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1003

VIS ET LIBERTAS

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 04:20:39 PM

My favorite:

"Es ist kein Zeichen geistiger Gesundheit, gut angepasst an eine kranke Gesellschaft zu sein."
MathCampbell

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:30:06 PM

hmm... That BTC floating over the coin looks strange  Undecided
Other than that it looks good.

You prefer this?
http://i.minus.com/jZVRNrcB6fvqE.png
bitcats
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:03:04 PM

You prefer this?
No.

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
MathCampbell

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:09:56 PM

I should add, this icon here is of course, an ICON.  An icon should only be used to represent a computer program, not as a logo for a concept, product etc.
So ideally we need a logo LIKE the "bitcoin" logo we all know, but made suitable for logo usage etc.
I've been doing some designs and I thought I'd share a few with you...
They're all very simple and basic, I could design much fancier, but a lot of people have said they like the coin, they want to keep a coin design, and to keep it simple...

First design:

Orange ringed coin, with golden B in middle (Note, all these designs use the new Ƀ; they can of course be changed to use BTC)

http://i.minus.com/j3svuiCm6EiUP.jpg

Design 2:

Solid-range pancake-inspired coin, with again the yellow coin in the middle with a simple cutout design.  (I'm not so fond of this but a few people I've asked like it.)

http://i.minus.com/jbyNTPYFlAQrlN.jpg

Design 3:

A reverse of the first design, but with a thinner outer line.

http://i.minus.com/jgOxWilfb3zqL.jpg

And finally, my personal favourite, design 4:

A variation on design 3, but with a line of dots instead of a solid stroke.  This makes the resemblance to a coin stronger, but not distracting from the fundamental point of the design.

http://i.minus.com/jqMsETLYz2nIQ.jpg

-----------------------------
What's your thoughts people? Are they all horrible, are any jumping out at you as good?  Would you like design n with changes?  Or should I go away and do a whole new design, not talking about eh coin at all, like Timbas has done? Your thoughts please...

I've deliberately kept the logo's simple; a logo shouldn't be complex and multi-coloured etc.  The best logos, (e.g Nike or Apple, or Starbucks etc.) are all one-colour, and fairly simple.  I'm keeping to that maxim.  Once I get the feeling of you all and I've got a single-pcolour design a lot of people seem happy with, I'll knock up proper place settings, like the "accepted here" pictures, and the monochromes etc for people to use, and what not...
And thanks for the tip btw gyrsur (if that was you.  That's the trouble with anonymity!!), very appreciated.
Once I have a solid design people seem to like, I'll post this all in a new thread so it doesn't distract from this, but in the mean time, if you like, 1EUGrS4nRKpTtMrfbwwq4EziYpVCF8vym6.
Thanks
MathCampbell

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:25:30 PM

Ahh, you meant the old BTC and a lighter shadow...mea culpa...
http://i.minus.com/jbgFeSFhZZP18b.png
MathCampbell

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:26:39 PM

I should add, I of course hereby release all these artworks freely to the world, under the MIT licence.  Forgot to say that before...
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 05:38:20 PM

Dude, put your address in your signature! Crowd is here not only old open source like!  Wink

moocow1452

Activity: 240

Don't mind me.

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:40:24 PM

Wanted to see if I could get a new TShirt for Bitcoin running. Can we chat, Campbell?
MathCampbell

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 08:35:52 PM

Wanted to see if I could get a new TShirt for Bitcoin running. Can we chat, Campbell?

Sure thing.  Check your pm's.
Gladamas

Activity: 294

Bitcoin today is what the internet was in 1998.

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 10:01:56 PM

I should add, this icon here is of course, an ICON.  An icon should only be used to represent a computer program, not as a logo for a concept, product etc.
So ideally we need a logo LIKE the "bitcoin" logo we all know, but made suitable for logo usage etc.
I've been doing some designs and I thought I'd share a few with you...
They're all very simple and basic, I could design much fancier, but a lot of people have said they like the coin, they want to keep a coin design, and to keep it simple...

*Cool designs*

-----------------------------
What's your thoughts people? Are they all horrible, are any jumping out at you as good?  Would you like design n with changes?  Or should I go away and do a whole new design, not talking about eh coin at all, like Timbas has done? Your thoughts please...

I've deliberately kept the logo's simple; a logo shouldn't be complex and multi-coloured etc.  The best logos, (e.g Nike or Apple, or Starbucks etc.) are all one-colour, and fairly simple.  I'm keeping to that maxim.  Once I get the feeling of you all and I've got a single-pcolour design a lot of people seem happy with, I'll knock up proper place settings, like the "accepted here" pictures, and the monochromes etc for people to use, and what not...
And thanks for the tip btw gyrsur (if that was you.  That's the trouble with anonymity!!), very appreciated.
Once I have a solid design people seem to like, I'll post this all in a new thread so it doesn't distract from this, but in the mean time, if you like, 1EUGrS4nRKpTtMrfbwwq4EziYpVCF8vym6.
Thanks

I like design #2, but the Ƀ should be the same color as the rest of the icon.

1GLADMZ5tL4HkS6BAWPfJLeZJCDHAd9Fr3 - LQ6Zx8v7fHVBiDX5Lmhbp6oEDB7dUFjANu
GPG 0xF219D5BB3C467E12 - Litecoin Forum
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: