Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:09:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S5 Setup [HD]  (Read 59220 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 06:57:21 AM

Tell me about push pull setups, please. Any sense in doing such? Step up to the Noctuna fans? I do like the price on the 120's in the 2 pack.

I'm looking to lower the noise. I don't want to spend money to quiet it down a bit and gain 5-10 degrees while doing so, Everything under 50 degrees now, and I like that, So no need for twisty LEDs that would be fun for about a day.

Also, looks like the S5 has 2x fan 4pin outputs. Would that run 2x the 120's you mentioned? I see fan controllers and all that, don't want to get involved if I don't hae to.

thanks dogie!

also, think i'm picking up a NIB evga 1300g2 supernova gold blah blah. So excited.

Pull > push pull > push but only in a sealed environment like an ASICMiner Cube, or an S3 although that wasn't great. In an open environment, its push pull > push > pull. In this case though, you're going to NEED to run 2 fans in order to maintain enough cooling with slower fans.

I'd still go with the Corsair's, they're the perfect balance of performance and noise. Yes the fans should run straight off the headers, worst case you'll have to use molex adapters and power them from the PSUs.

nbruce

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 12:49:01 PM

Just an update on my PSU issues.
I ran the S5 fine on the AX1200i for a week, but wasn't too sure about running two S5s off it. I have an energy meter at the wall and the max wattage for 1 x S5 via the AX1200 has been 610W.

So I've RMAd the AX1200 and gone for an AX760. I have another S5 now, so that is running on a CS750M.

All good so far.

Anybody know what the best difficulty setting is for an S5 ? it seems to like 4k and hate 2k.

Cheers
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 02:12:56 PM

Just an update on my PSU issues.
I ran the S5 fine on the AX1200i for a week, but wasn't too sure about running two S5s off it. I have an energy meter at the wall and the max wattage for 1 x S5 via the AX1200 has been 610W.

So I've RMAd the AX1200 and gone for an AX760. I have another S5 now, so that is running on a CS750M.

All good so far.

Anybody know what the best difficulty setting is for an S5 ? it seems to like 4k and hate 2k.

Cheers

1024 or 2048 should work well, higher than that and you're just burning shares on discards.

transcyberian

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 02:35:19 PM

Totally agree on the Corsairs - I have several of the AX760's and they act more like a big battery delivering up to 63 amps on a single rail with less than 7mv of ac ripple !  Plus the modular connectors.  Wish I had the 860's so I could run 3 S5's on 2 PSU's.

Looking for an S5 guide to what all the LED's represent - I've got a new S5 that doesn't light up the red ones on the two ASIC boards and the 4 green ones on the board under the controller have the 3 inside ones lit constantly with only the outer one blinking.

Any clues ?

rpandassociates

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:56:56 PM

okay got my S5's in today no SD cards are in the slots

these dont come with SD cards? or did bitmain mess up?

should i put one in?

if so how do i put a image on the SD card i got a few laying around and have download win32 disk imager and the image from bitmain

sorry this confuses me all my other miner have sd cards.

I knew these did not have a top on the case but they dont have a bottom either? WTF!!!!

These are a nightmare to fit into my current exhaust configuration, going to spend all evening making proper cases for these. Seriously bitmain could you go any cheaper? I am not impressed!!!!!

okay think i figured out how to do the image have to read the image first then write it Smiley
first time i just selected the image from location and pressed write. Now that i pressed read first then write is doing something Smiley
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 11:23:25 PM

okay got my S5's in today no SD cards are in the slots

these dont come with SD cards? or did bitmain mess up?

should i put one in?

if so how do i put a image on the SD card i got a few laying around and have download win32 disk imager and the image from bitmain

sorry this confuses me all my other miner have sd cards.

I knew these did not have a top on the case but they dont have a bottom either? WTF!!!!

These are a nightmare to fit into my current exhaust configuration, going to spend all evening making proper cases for these. Seriously bitmain could you go any cheaper? I am not impressed!!!!!

okay think i figured out how to do the image have to read the image first then write it Smiley
first time i just selected the image from location and pressed write. Now that i pressed read first then write is doing something Smiley

S5s don't use SD cards, just plug the S5 in.

rpandassociates

Activity: 174

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 11:34:10 PM

Thanks dogie I was thinking bitmain messed up Smiley
So they SD card slot is for restoring things if they go wrong?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 11:37:39 PM

Thanks dogie I was thinking bitmain messed up Smiley

Yes, but currently we don't have a solution on how to use it.

Rabinovitch
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:26:27 AM

I heard that it's enough just to insert a SD card with C1/S4 firmware on it and boot up your S5, then you will need to update a FW to latest (or custom...) version for S5.

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 05:17:34 PM

I heard that it's enough just to insert a SD card with C1/S4 firmware on it and boot up your S5, then you will need to update a FW to latest (or custom...) version for S5.

That itself doesn't kick the firmware over to following the SD card over the flash memory last I tested. The latest instructions we had for that process don't work.

BTC-Bank

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 06:19:47 PM

Hello everyone!Just a newbie miner question i bought an antminer s5 and for psu a corsair rm850 i also bought 2 fans corsair, one sp120 and one af120 and i want to plug them with psu to operate full all time.... my question may sound stupid but i want to ask where i have to plug it as i didnt found any cable for those in corsair psu box.What cables (adaptors) i need to buy to work with my psu?One is 4 pin and the other is 3pin.Any advice will be appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 11:25:48 PM

Hello everyone!Just a newbie miner question i bought an antminer s5 and for psu a corsair rm850 i also bought 2 fans corsair, one sp120 and one af120 and i want to plug them with psu to operate full all time.... my question may sound stupid but i want to ask where i have to plug it as i didnt found any cable for those in corsair psu box.What cables (adaptors) i need to buy to work with my psu?One is 4 pin and the other is 3pin.Any advice will be appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

I am not quite understand of your question. Are you asking about cable from wall to psu or psu to S5?
BTC-Bank

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 02:14:00 AM

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

I am not quite understand of your question. Are you asking about cable from wall to psu or psu to S5?

My appologies i was in hurry..I am asking for what cables/adopters i need from psu to (extra) 2 fans wich one is 3pin and other 4pin wich i will use for antminer s5.  :-) i want to replace the original as it is too loud!

I tried the fan (4pin) direct on s5 but is not stable goes from 1600rpm to 2160 rpm and i want it to work full runing all the time so this is the reason i am looking from psu to fans direct.Thank you for your responce!

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.
Zich
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 02:26:41 AM

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

My appologies i was in hurry..I am asking for what cables/adopters i need from psu to (extra) 2 fans wich one is 3pin and other 4pin wich i will use for antminer s5.  :-) i want to replace the original as it is too loud!

I tried the fan (4pin) direct on s5 but is not stable goes from 1600rpm to 2160 rpm and i want it to work full runing all the time so this is the reason i am looking from psu to fans direct.Thank you for your responce!

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

Ohh, you might need to cut fan wire then connect to molex or you can buy something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-12V-Black-Molex-Computer-Power-to-4-Way-3-Pin-Fan-Multi-Fan-Splitter-Cable-/251700371537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9a82e051

BTC-Bank

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 02:30:51 AM

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

Ohh, you might need to cut fan wire then connect to molex or you can buy something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-12V-Black-Molex-Computer-Power-to-4-Way-3-Pin-Fan-Multi-Fan-Splitter-Cable-/251700371537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9a82e051

Oh thank you @Zich i really appreciate it!I was looking for something like this to show the stores here what i need!

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.
Zich
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 03:39:39 AM

Oh thank you @Zich i really appreciate it!I was looking for something like this to show the stores here what i need!

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

Any time dude  Smiley
By the way, if you had soldering skill, you can buy the connector on electronic supply store & make them your self  Smiley
BTC-Bank

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 09:31:39 PM

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

Any time dude  Smiley
By the way, if you had soldering skill, you can buy the connector on electronic supply store & make them your self  Smiley

I have the skills but i dont wont to mess with it..i will buy it straight for any case. Smiley

Thank's again for the tip! Smiley

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.
FlensGold
Legendary

Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 07:14:48 PM

Is there a recommended fan which can easily replace the original fan to reduce noise?
BTC-Bank

View Profile
March 14, 2015, 07:50:55 PM

Is there a recommended fan which can easily replace the original fan to reduce noise?

Corsair sp120 high performance + af120 silent for a small test i made was very silent but i don't know how it will work for many hours or if they will be any problems for the s5 as i didnt buy the cable to connect them to psu yet..From my search i think this is the best solution but you can try it in my opinion with 2 sp120 as they are more powerful but silent too, i think it will be much better.

rpm for sp120 and af120 it will be around 3.360

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.
Ninjaskills

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 01:22:23 AM

Thanks for this.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: