Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:08:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S5 Setup [HD]  (Read 59220 times)
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 09:45:47 AM

Is there a recommended fan which can easily replace the original fan to reduce noise?

Corsair sp120 high performance + af120 silent for a small test i made was very silent but i don't know how it will work for many hours or if they will be any problems for the s5 as i didnt buy the cable to connect them to psu yet..From my search i think this is the best solution but you can try it in my opinion with 2 sp120 as they are more powerful but silent too, i think it will be much better.

rpm for sp120 and af120 it will be around 3.360

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

AF120 is 1650RPM with moderate static pressure, which is too low for an S5. 2 SP120s works in sensible ambients and benefits from taping the heatsinks closed (top and bottom). Its going to run hotter than stock (60-65) but thats fine and its the closest you can get to a silent S5.

Thanks for this.

No problem, let us know if you need any help.

FlensGold
Legendary

Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 09:49:26 AM

Is there also an option to simply replace the one existing fan?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2015, 11:13:25 AM

Is there also an option to simply replace the one existing fan?

Yes, there are lots of variants of Delta 120x38mm fans, at varying cost and specifications (one being the Delta FFB1212VHE). I can't say any of them is drastically quieter though.

BTC-Bank

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 10:15:22 PM

Is there a recommended fan which can easily replace the original fan to reduce noise?

Corsair sp120 high performance + af120 silent for a small test i made was very silent but i don't know how it will work for many hours or if they will be any problems for the s5 as i didnt buy the cable to connect them to psu yet..From my search i think this is the best solution but you can try it in my opinion with 2 sp120 as they are more powerful but silent too, i think it will be much better.

rpm for sp120 and af120 it will be around 3.360

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

AF120 is 1650RPM with moderate static pressure, which is too low for an S5. 2 SP120s works in sensible ambients and benefits from taping the heatsinks closed (top and bottom). Its going to run hotter than stock (60-65) but thats fine and its the closest you can get to a silent S5.

Thanks for this.

No problem, let us know if you need any help.

Thank you for the detailed analysis @dogie i think will buy one more sp120 before installed it to follow your advice and i will use a third fan also in front of it to reduce temperature.

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.
Ecnad

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 04:39:02 AM

With the open top/bottom design is it better to put these on a bakers rack style open air shelf, or a solid shelf to allow some air-pattern-control?

My miners are on a solid steel work cart so wondering if they will do well on the steel, or if I should get a riser with open slats?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2015, 03:42:43 PM

With the open top/bottom design is it better to put these on a bakers rack style open air shelf, or a solid shelf to allow some air-pattern-control?

My miners are on a solid steel work cart so wondering if they will do well on the steel, or if I should get a riser with open slats?

I've always used open shelves, but then again I have a mishmash of different gear. You can get the effect of a solid shelf by taping up the top and bottom of the heatsink, but thats only 2C or so on the stock fan.

scrawford84

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 08:49:21 PM

My personal recommendation is 2x S3 fans if you've got them lying around or my go to is the SP120 Performance editions /994pId][Without affiliate] /aTtqhF][With affiliate]. There are also PWM versions if you think you'll need it in the future /464xEn][Without affiliate] /ULI5ny][With affiliate]. They're right at the barrier between high performance and not being too annoying and I generally use them on most miners I silence.

Fans like the SP120 will plug directly into an S5 and aren't silent but aren't horrific. They're ~2200 rpm with a high static pressure which is required in a situation like this more than just straight 'CFM' ratings. You don't tend to get LEDs on fans like this and above as they usually all go into servers and such like. There is a similar AF120 series which is LED, but isn't suitable for S5s as they're not powerful enough.

If I may ask a follow up question. How would the Scythe Grand Flex PWM compare to the SP120's? On paper they spin up to the same RPM, similar dBA, but the CFM and Static pressure is much higher on the Grand Flex model. Has anyone tried this on the S5?

I'm still waiting for my s5, but I am trying to get my research done now because noise will be an issue. I have 8 of the Grand Flex fans in the box and it would be nice knowing I don't have to purchase new fans. My goal will be to get the S5 as close to S3 noise levels as possible without sacrificing much cooling.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 04:16:53 PM

My personal recommendation is 2x S3 fans if you've got them lying around or my go to is the SP120 Performance editions /994pId][Without affiliate] /aTtqhF][With affiliate]. There are also PWM versions if you think you'll need it in the future /464xEn][Without affiliate] /ULI5ny][With affiliate]. They're right at the barrier between high performance and not being too annoying and I generally use them on most miners I silence.

Fans like the SP120 will plug directly into an S5 and aren't silent but aren't horrific. They're ~2200 rpm with a high static pressure which is required in a situation like this more than just straight 'CFM' ratings. You don't tend to get LEDs on fans like this and above as they usually all go into servers and such like. There is a similar AF120 series which is LED, but isn't suitable for S5s as they're not powerful enough.

If I may ask a follow up question. How would the Scythe Grand Flex PWM compare to the SP120's? On paper they spin up to the same RPM, similar dBA, but the CFM and Static pressure is much higher on the Grand Flex model. Has anyone tried this on the S5?

I'm still waiting for my s5, but I am trying to get my research done now because noise will be an issue. I have 8 of the Grand Flex fans in the box and it would be nice knowing I don't have to purchase new fans. My goal will be to get the S5 as close to S3 noise levels as possible without sacrificing much cooling.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, they're claiming all 3 statistics are better with no tradeoff, at the same RPM. Still, if it works it works.

BTC-Bank

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 05:20:50 PM

Ok just to give an update i didn't bought a cable to connect it direct to psu yet but i bought as i our friend here @Dogie suggest another corsair sp120 high performance which are four pin and i have already plug them direct on the s5 for the last 24 hours, the loud results are amazing!!!! It sounds like my computer nothing more and now i can have it in my room.The rpm for these two is fan 1: 2040 and fan 2: 2160 (i dont know exactly why they run different as they both are the same) i have underclock it at 312.5M, the GH/S are around 1100 to 1200 , the temp is mostly stable at 69 and 70 it make some up and downs between 68 to 71 but i am very pleased with the sound if i make any other changes i will let you know.  Cool

Thank you @Dogie.

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 06:46:31 PM

Ok just to give an update i didn't bought a cable to connect it direct to psu yet but i bought as i our friend here @Dogie suggest another corsair sp120 high performance which are four pin and i have already plug them direct on the s5 for the last 24 hours, the loud results are amazing!!!! It sounds like my computer nothing more and now i can have it in my room.The rpm for these two is fan 1: 2040 and fan 2: 2160 (i dont know exactly why they run different as they both are the same) i have underclock it at 312.5M, the GH/S are around 1100 to 1200 , the temp is mostly stable at 69 and 70 it make some up and downs between 68 to 71 but i am very pleased with the sound if i make any other changes i will let you know.  Cool

Thank you @Dogie.

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

No problem. I think its hard coded into the firmware to have the front fan lower as it was the same on S3s.

BTC-Bank

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 07:09:18 PM

Thank you again for the tip @dogie do you believe that if i connect them direct to the psu it will work full?Of Course the 120 more rpm is not that big deal.. and if it will help or be greater for the miner also( if it is connected direct to psu) i just asking from curiosity? As you are more experience with mining do you think that the temp are too high because many may read this post and think to change it also.

Smiley

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 09:12:58 PM

Thank you again for the tip @dogie do you believe that if i connect them direct to the psu it will work full?Of Course the 120 more rpm is not that big deal.. and if it will help or be greater for the miner also( if it is connected direct to psu) i just asking from curiosity? As you are more experience with mining do you think that the temp are too high because many may read this post and think to change it also.

Smiley

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.

Yes no problem with connecting direct to the PSU is no problem, won't really change anything. Temps are fine, don't worry.

BTC-Bank

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 11:42:28 PM

I really like that sound the previous was very noise for me which i want to have it in my room anyway thank you again @dogie and all of you i really appreciate your help on that.

Kind Regards,
BTC-Bank.
miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 07:35:59 PM

Could I use two PSU to feed one S5?

I have one thermaltake of 750W and a Corsair of 750W both bronce certified.
Ecnad

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 07:45:05 PM

My understanding is that this would be fine so long as you use one psu per card.
Kidwarp

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 08:28:36 PM

Can you undervolt s5s still by using a less then 12volt psu? If so can you still under/overclock? What would I need to do?
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2015, 08:29:26 PM

My understanding is that this would be fine so long as you use one psu per card.

That's correct, as long as each PSU is appropriately powerful enough to power one blade, you can use a pair of PSUs to power a blade each.

miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:20:19 PM

That's correct, as long as each PSU is appropriately powerful enough to power one blade, you can use a pair of PSUs to power a blade each.

Hello, How much amps do each blade needs?

I have a CX750 (750w, single rail 62A @ +12V)Corsair PSU. It has two PCIe connector.
I wonder if I could run a S5 with this PSU.
tia
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2015, 01:35:49 AM

Hello, How much amps do each blade needs?

I have a CX750 (750w, single rail 62A @ +12V)Corsair PSU. It has two PCIe connector.
I wonder if I could run a S5 with this PSU.
tia

Yes you can, about 300W per blade.

sueche

Activity: 63

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 10:40:22 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2015, 10:59:53 PM by sueche

Does anyone happen to know how can I set the timezone for S5 ? It seems Bitmain cut this functionality comparing to S3.
I've been looking into how to set the time correctly on my S5, and in the process discovered a few details about time zones on Angstrom linux which they are using. By default, a basic Angstrom image doesn't include data specifying time zones, so will default to UTC time. To specify a time zone:
Install the timezone data package:
Code:
opkg install tzdata
Look in /usr/share/zoneinfo to find the appropriate zone
create a symbolic link to this file from /etc/localtime
Code:
ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Sydney /etc/localtime
restart
With the correct timezone set, you can now use NTP to automatically set the correct date and time:
Code:
opkg install ntpdate
ntpdate pool.ntp.org
The interesting thing is that neither of these commands worked in S5 console.
1. tzdata package does not exist in 'opkg list' at all
2. location /etc/localtime does not exist
3. ntpdate pool.ntp.org gives 'the NTP socket is in use, exiting' on execute

Any ideas ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: