Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:47:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Look at a pirate, eye to eye if you dare.  (Read 60646 times)
btctraderr

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:20:23 AM

Why is nobody addressing the questions in this thread? We don't really care that you all sat round a table and played craps. This is not important. The purpose of this thread, and probably some of the members who attended this conference was to determine the nature of what pirate runs and if what he does is secure for the long term. Can you answer this?

If you cannot answer these questions or after talking to him still don't know the answer then say so. It's not hard.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Shadow383

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:59:04 AM

Why is nobody addressing the questions in this thread? We don't really care that you all sat round a table and played craps. This is not important. The purpose of this thread, and probably some of the members who attended this conference was to determine the nature of what pirate runs and if what he does is secure for the long term. Can you answer this?

If you cannot answer these questions or after talking to him still don't know the answer then say so. It's not hard.

Most of us already know what Pirate does, we have known for months.
Very funny.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:19:20 PM

Most of us already know what Pirate does, we have known for months. I did not go to unlocked the secrets of Pirate. He has been very open about what he does.

My personal funds will stay with pirate. I went to Vegas cuz I have never been and thought this would be an epic time to go.

It was legendary:)

Let me just quote you on this for the record so that if it turns out it was stealing or defrauding people, you admitted being an accessory to the crime.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 12:34:41 PM

If they tell you then everyone will begin doing it  Smiley

btctraderr

Activity: 120

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:43:26 PM

If they tell you then everyone will begin doing it  Smiley

Well if 'they' 'know' then whats to stop the from doing it aswell? If they know, and can't/don't want to tell us then say so. Ambiguous comments will just fuel further speculation and accusations.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:15:57 PM

If some of you guys expected anything else from this thread - you are being naive.
Anyone who went there, went to have some fun, meet people and take time off.

Glad you had a blast!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:05:33 PM

Most of us already know what Pirate does, we have known for months. I did not go to unlocked the secrets of Pirate. He has been very open about what he does.

LIKE THIS

My personal funds will stay with pirate. I went to Vegas cuz I have never been and thought this would be an epic time to go.

It was legendary:)

Let me just quote you on this for the record so that if it turns out it was stealing or defrauding people, you admitted being an accessory to the crime.

Right, because totally can't edit other people's posts when you quote them.  That will hold up well Roll Eyes.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:10:46 PM

If they tell you then everyone will begin doing it  Smiley

Well if 'they' 'know' then whats to stop the from doing it aswell? If they know, and can't/don't want to tell us then say so. Ambiguous comments will just fuel further speculation and accusations.

Because I've got other shit to do and pirateat40 pays me enough to let him handle it.  Sure, if he were more open he could potentially get more investors, but he would definitely have more competition.  Also, I'm not sure he needs more investors.  OMG, it might not be a ponzi Tongue.  Seriously, if it was a ponzi, don't you think he would take some of the advice about reassuring new investors?

In other words, pirate's sitting pretty and doesn't need to give a shit about all the people with nothing better to do than brainstorm crazy ass theories.

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:14:38 PM

Perhaps the pirate is a group of people. Then when the ponzi collapses everyone is looking for a non-existent pirate. Of course I could be wrong.

Muis

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:17:35 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2012, 08:02:00 PM by Muis

Also, I'm not sure he needs more investors.

Since he is lifting all referral restrictions in August, doesn't it seems like it?

Seriously, if it was a ponzi, don't you think he would take some of the advice about reassuring new investors?

He doesn't need to find new investors himself, he delegated that job to all the passtrough-programs.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:29:02 PM

Also, I'm not sure he needs more investors.

Since he is lifting all referral restrictions in August, doesn't it seems like it?

Meh, seems like he's finally going to have a more robust website that will make the marginal cost of having another lender lower.

Seriously, if it was a ponzi, don't you think he would take some of the advice about reassuring new investors?

He doesn't need to find new investors himself, he delegated that job to all the passtrough-programs.

Anyone who invests with a pass through without trusting the pirate needs their brain checked.  The pass throughs are honest about where the money is invested.

Perhaps the pirate is a group of people.

I don't think so, but at least it would explain why gigavps is so consistently talking about *a* pirate.

Roll Eyes

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:33:45 PM

As Goat said, with a little thought I had figured out what he was doing before I went.  

I must be too stupid to figure it out then.

Quick question though: If I would have figured out how to make 10% on a weekly basis with minimal risk I would have leveraged my ass off, halted all my other activities and performed the scheme for a year straight. After this (or may be a bit sooner) I would have handed it over to a friend I completely trust for a fee and spent the rest of my days traveling the globe with my my multi million dollar equivalent of buying power.

You say you know what he does. So why don't you?

Edit:

Sorry about the overall tone of the post. It usually takes a lot to annoy me but everyone has his buttons to press. Calling something which I find complicated I put considerable effort in trying to resolve "simple" is one of my buttons. It's like reading a paper where it says "it is trivial to see"  after which I need several hours to deduce what is so trivial to see. Infuriating  Cheesy
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:42:57 PM

Consider how this appears from those outside looking in.  Some of the biggest names in Bitcoin meet with the 'biggest dog' (known, that is) in Bitcoin.  Yet, after this meeting, not much at all is said.

Thanks for your post. I can appreciate you being open and honest about your desire for me to confirm or deny facts. Consider my point of view though. I would like to think that I have a pretty good reputation on the forums because I have always tried to be helpful, share information and be respectful (most of the time). I hope I have earned this respect / trust over the last year and I would like to think that it is worth something.

That said, all of pirate's detractors here on the forums are on a witch hunt. If I confirm or deny ANYTHING, they will twist what I say to fit their point of view and keep the flame war going. So, I am in the unenviable position of "damned if I do, damned if I don't". The hostile environment created here is not conducive to sharing information in a way that is either helpful or respectful.

I have confirmed along with others on the forums that pirateat40 showed up and we had a good time.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:47:16 PM

Well it kinda is insulting as I used the exact same strategy. It could be the insult is justified of course, but that doesn't make it less annoying Wink

Curiosity killed the cat.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 04:47:24 PM

That said, all of pirate's detractors here on the forums are on a witch hunt. If I confirm or deny ANYTHING, they will twist what I say to fit their point of view and keep the flame war going. So, I am in the unenviable position of "damned if I do, damned if I don't". The hostile environment created here is not conducive to sharing information in a way that is either helpful or respectful.

+10

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
Draino

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:11:46 PM

Consider how this appears from those outside looking in.

all publicly disclosed info about pirate's operation quacks like a duck.  ducks are illegal and damaging to almost everyone that goes near, and some people *really* hate them, so they're going to scream every time they hear another quack.

saying you're not a duck doesn't prove anything, and saying you know he's not a duck and that we can trust him—because he pays you (on time!)—doesn't prove anything.  basically, take the heat and enjoy your money imo.
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:24:42 PM

Consider how this appears from those outside looking in.  Some of the biggest names in Bitcoin meet with the 'biggest dog' (known, that is) in Bitcoin.  Yet, after this meeting, not much at all is said.

For example, nothing is said about...
1)  If Pirate appears as he does in the photos that are believed to be of him
2)  If Pirate discussed his operations or continuing plans for operation with those who attended
3)  If Pirate seems (opinion, of course) as though he is acting in the best interest of his lenders
4)  If Pirate seems (opinion, of course) as though he is acting in the best interest of Bitcoin
Here's the thing.  Pirate has said things like "I'm looking to pull one bigger than my Bitcoin."  It's a big mistake for him to say something like this.  As I've said before, I'm almost completely sure about what Pirate does, but when he makes statements like that, it's really quite stupid of him if he wants to be truly successful.  It was solely because of those types of comments that I withdrew my PPT investments.  I don't even think Pirate has even said something along the lines of, "To my lenders -- I have your best interest at heart."  

To people that have a lot of money to begin with (i.e. those that flew to Vegas), it's easy to say "have trust in actions!" and forget the words, but to those without a lot of money, those words cast a large shadow of doubt.

Pirate's operation is called Bitcoin Savings & Trust.  We're trying to access that trust part.  Some of us don't have the time or money to fly to Vegas to check the guy out.  Would I have gone if I had the opportunity?  Yes, yes I would have.  But that possibility was unrealistic.

Now, with regards to you, GigaVPS, we assume that you are a lender, just like us, and are no different than the rest of us in the sense that we assume that you are a simple Pirate investor.  However, vague responses like "I have seen a Pirate, and he looks like a Pirate," while ultimately playful in nature, appear much different to the rest of the community.  It seems as though you are intentionally hiding something, or that Pirate has asked that you not reveal too much about what was discussed, etc.

Given that this forum has been virtually obsessed with Pirate's operation for the last 2 months, you have an opportunity to help relieve some of the community's worries.  Care to help us out a bit?

On a side note, Pirate, if you're reading this, consider what I just said.  You could actually have more investors deposit (more than you do already, thus allowing yourself the opportunity to profit even more) if you yourself alleviated some of these worries rather than displaying your typical brazen attitude.  That attitude might work because you have leverage, and you have the leverage you do because of your wealthiest lenders.  But, there are little guys here too who prefer reassurance rather than brazenness.  
The Joint, that was an eloquent post. It really sums up a lot of things well, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I thought it worth mentioning that.

I sincerely hope at least some of your (and, by extension, many peoples') honest, genuine, and reasonable concerns will eventually be adequately addressed by those with the credibility, integrity, and morality to do so.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:46:42 PM

I will use this window of opportunity and I offer the opportunity to others thought the PPT.x bond system.

since you've never met nefario, did anyone verify that your real-life identity matches the id glbse has on file?

this will be useful since if anyone loses money on ppt.x they can go after you personally.  what you are selling each week is debt.    you are in a partnership that is selling debt.  with a partnership, each partner is jointly and severaly liable for the fully amount of the debt.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:56:21 PM

This is how I read the following post:

I would have posted here sooner but, in fact, I just learned about this thread.  My "trip report" has already been copied.  As Goat said, with a little thought I had figured out what he was doing before I went.  I went for a good time - and had one.  We did talk "business" a bit and that was fun.  I do appreciate the long post from The Joint because it is genuine and not just another "this is an obvious ponzi, I know everything, you are all stupid" post so I promise to answer the questions in it but I have to go to my day job now.

I met pirate, he is real and legit and I will answer ANY questions you'd like..

I will quickly give you the simple stategy I used to figure it out.  If you try to figure out what he does and how it works from the assumption that it is impossible then, well, you obviously will never figure it out.  When I re-read everything he has ever posted from the working assumption that what he is doing is possible this left my mind open and able to figure it out.  Just do that, assume it is possible, go to his profile, read every post.  Try it.

..but hey, you don't really need my answer, you can find them yourself, you just have to believe it's possible to be legit and pay what pirate pays. Now have faith and go read his every post..

How much he reveals or does not reveal (and he actually reveals a lot) is up to him.  So no, I will not reveal what it is.  Get off you lazy ass and figure it out for yourself just like I did.

..in fact, I wont even tell you anything because it's that easy to "figure it out", and if you can't, well then that's pirates decision and your just SOL...

One final note: eventually others will figure it out, do it, and with competition we can all say goodbye to the great returns.  You all know where I stand.  I will use this window of opportunity and I offer the opportunity to others thought the PPT.x bond system.  If you don't want to invest then don't.  If you do invest in anything, Facebook, Google, BS&T, US treasury bonds, don't ever invest more than you can afford to lose - there is risk in every investment.

.. so you see, it's all transparent really which is why you only have a limited time to take advantage of this excellent "opportunity" so go on, call 080-pirate-ponzi now, and "invest" your money ASAP. But don't say we didn't warn you, you might lose everything because it actually is a ponzi.. but hey, you can lose money doing anything, right? Why not lose it with us..

Carry on with your ponzi shill screaming now, I am sure that is enough fodder to keep you going for a few days.

EDIT:  a little more specific on the frame of mind to be in when you read the posts.  Your answer must be totally allowed by all US law and something your wife, who is an attorney for the sake of this exercise, would not only let you do but would endorse.

Hint: you must really really believe it and don't tell it to anyone otherwise it wont come true..  

Roll Eyes

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 06:33:04 PM

Cant wait for next years snub!  Smiley   Im excited...

After this I will be sure to invest all my money with all of you guys and your businesses, your truly a stand up crowd, and Im glad you ultimately showed your social attitudes to people outside your little clique..

I have all the information I need..  Cheers..

PS. I wasnt here to witch hunt anyone, specially not Pirate, I was here to talk with some of the more outspoken bitcoiners, this is what I love to do, and of the few I did meet, I loved every minute of it..  Its a shame we all couldnt have sat down together.

On another note..

I bought a Cas Coin, I like it, looks nice, I'd like to add.
Didnt mind paying 15 bucks for it either..  It came in handy talking about bitcoin..
Some people just need to see something physical.

Im not lumping Cassasius into the elitism crowd, I just would have like to met you..  Wink

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: