Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:12:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Look at a pirate, eye to eye if you dare.  (Read 60646 times)
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 03:08:00 AM

We actually met up with Tuxavant, Coingenuity and Patrick from Intersango on Sunday afternoon at the MGM Grand poker room.

Sorry we missed you sethsethseth.

Wat? Oh no you di'nt! I was at Defcon all day with my talk and challenge. Now lets hear how you confused my name with someone else. This will be ripe.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:11:43 AM

We actually met up with Tuxavant, Coingenuity and Patrick from Intersango on Sunday afternoon at the MGM Grand poker room.

Wat? Oh no you di'nt! I was at Defcon all day with my talk and challenge. Now lets hear how you confused my name with someone else. This will be ripe.

O whoops, must of been someone else who's IRC handle started with a T. I was a little busy playing poker in the poker room. Go figure.
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:19:18 AM

O whoops, must of been someone else who's IRC handle started with a T. I was a little busy playing poker in the poker room. Go figure.

It was tuxblackedo who came with the other two to the poker room. I have corrected my original post. I knew it was "Tux" something.  Tongue
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:25:03 AM

Its strange how you missed inviting who I consider the one person in the bitcoin community doing more for mass adoption than all of you combined..

Im in awe of Tuxavants dedication to Bitcoin..  and I applaud him...

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Tuxavant

Activity: 784

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 03:29:22 AM

Its strange how you missed inviting who I consider the one person in the bitcoin community doing more for mass adoption than all of you combined..

Im in awe of Tuxavants dedication to Bitcoin..  and I applaud him...

Um. Thanks for the vote of confidence, but that is a huge statement that I would like to distance myself from. I proselytize my ass off, but there are plenty more of 'you' that contribute much more tangible efforts to the community (edit) and deserving of that statement.

jamesg
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:30:50 AM

Im in awe of Tuxavants dedication to Bitcoin..  and I applaud him...

Almost nobody, including yourself, contacted me about meeting up in Vegas. I posted in this thread early on that I would be there.

How do you figure that it is my job to invite people?
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:00:46 AM

I don't quite understand the fascination with Pirate.

I was at an early age told that 'it's no such thing as a free lunch'.

I haven't followed Pirate intensely, but I see there's a lot of speculation and so on.

Fact is that he was offering 7% on your bitcoin deposit weekly, don't know if he still
is offering these rates.

No matter how skilled, knowledgeable and bold Pirate is, I would definately not
put any bitcoins in his hands that I was not willing to risk 100%. At the moment
that equals 0 bitcoins.

Obviously anyone should do as they chose, but the math simply doesn't add up here.

When the 'bank run' or 'hack' day comes, I hope you are in a position that you easily
can recover from.

If something seems too good to be true, it usually is. So, the greedy wish for some interest,
could soon turn out to be a losing proposition.

And when the shit hits the fan, the living room is going to be full of it.

Take care.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 06:19:00 AM

Actually ,there is a free lunch in these things IF are in the top tier

its usually the lower tiers that lose all
Rockefoten

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 07:10:04 AM

If the point of this thread was for Pirate to "show himself" at Defcon so that investors would have more confidence, I don't think this has been fulfilled.
What we have is a picture of a bunch of people, with people saying "This is me with pirate" or "I think I know who Pirate is here".
Why is everybody else so afraid to pinpoint who Pirate is? What is the point of the picture if not to show who Pirate is?

PS! I have money in some PPTs so I'm no detractor, just a bit tired of the games that seem to be played here..
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 07:52:12 AM

If the point of this thread was for Pirate to "show himself" at Defcon so that investors would have more confidence, I don't think this has been fulfilled.
What we have is a picture of a bunch of people, with people saying "This is me with pirate" or "I think I know who Pirate is here".
Why is everybody else so afraid to pinpoint who Pirate is? What is the point of the picture if not to show who Pirate is?

PS! I have money in some PPTs so I'm no detractor, just a bit tired of the games that seem to be played here..

Pirate is 3rd from the right.  His real name is Trendon Shavers and he lives in McKinney, TX.  He will be turning 30 in September.

Of course, nobody will believe me because if they do it takes all the fun out of it.

All this information is available via google, and if you're investor you should already know all of it or you didn't do you due diligence and one day you will be scammed by a real scam artist.  Pirate, on the other hand is just a smart guy trying to get rich by helping bitcoin reach it's full potential.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Rockefoten

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 08:15:20 AM

Pirate is 3rd from the right.  His real name is Trendon Shavers and he lives in McKinney, TX.  He will be turning 30 in September.

Of course, nobody will believe me because if they do it takes all the fun out of it.

All this information is available via google, and if you're investor you should already know all of it or you didn't do you due diligence and one day you will be scammed by a real scam artist.  Pirate, on the other hand is just a smart guy trying to get rich by helping bitcoin reach it's full potential.

Thanks, finally some one steps up!
I wasn't really that concerned about the ID, it was just getting a bit tiresome with all the games played by the involved ("Here I am...one of these 10 guys is me!"). But it probably was fun for the people involved (it probably contributed to their in-group feeling).

About due diligence: I read a lot about BTCST before investing - so I am fully aware of the risk of it being a Ponzi and of it defaulting. I've stayed out of numerous opportunities on glbse which seemed a bit shoddy (or: didn't offer high enough returns considering their perceived shodiness).
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 08:55:41 AM

Thanks, finally some one steps up!
I wasn't really that concerned about the ID, it was just getting a bit tiresome with all the games played by the involved ("Here I am...one of these 10 guys is me!"). But it probably was fun for the people involved (it probably contributed to their in-group feeling).

About due diligence: I read a lot about BTCST before investing - so I am fully aware of the risk of it being a Ponzi and of it defaulting. I've stayed out of numerous opportunities on glbse which seemed a bit shoddy (or: didn't offer high enough returns considering their perceived shodiness).
Those who are aware of what's going on and who's involved probably don't wish to violate others' privacy. Most BTC-related Skype groups I'm aware of, for example, have a gentlemen's NDA in effect, and when info about Pirate's leaked, there's often an explicit "nothing leaves this room" notice given. Every group I'm aware of being in has this in effect, from the DCAO rooms, to the lenders' room, to specific business rooms. Whenever something's leaked which shouldn't be, a bit of a witch-hunt forms, and trust breaks down.

It sounds like a game and elitism, but I think it's actually showing how seriously people take each other. If Pirate doesn't disclose something himself publicly, I don't think people privy to the information would be keen on doing such a thing without asking his consent. Pirate in particular seems a bit secretive, making everyone else a bit less interested in releasing information on someone who probably holds thousands of their coins and may not appreciate non-public information being leaked.

Moreover, there's not much to gain by leaking information from those assuming BS&T isn't a Ponzi. Information may bring in many new investors, but that isn't essential to Pirate paying out. There's really not much reason for investors to defend Pirate (still assuming Pirate isn't a ponzi), except when people go out of their way to call investors and "enablers" scammy idiots who should have their eyes pecked out - or something along those lines.

ETA: Backpeddling a bit thinking about it more, PPT operators obviously have incentive to defend Pirate, given they profit off arb.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:40:30 AM

This Trendon Shavers?

NAME   CASE NO.   DATE OF BIRTH   CHARGE
SHAVERS, TRENDON   101078   09/21/1982   THEFT O/20 U/500 BY CHECK

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:44:45 AM

Everyone invested in pirate has an interest in finding out about him, just in case..
Even people which are not invested with may have an interest in Pirate being legitimate and honest in his business practices, as it is directly linked to the reputation of bitcoin and the whole community. I would not like bitcoin to be labeled as an unsecure scam ridden project, doomed to fail for its vulnerabilities to hacking and scam schemes. I know better, but it is hard to explain to the rest of the world if all they get from the media is the catastophes.

Also, pls digg some more into the seeming information you found on Pirate, it is hard for me to believe, that someone with a couple of million of borrowed dollars sitting in his chest lets such information laying around for everyone else easily to find. Especially, because he is so secretive with all his business in general. Maybe try to meet him at his home address, call his phone number and see who answers, or seek some confirmation on his birth in local registers, because it would be highly naive to believe anything you happened to find on Google.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:45:05 AM

This Trendon Shavers?

NAME   CASE NO.   DATE OF BIRTH   CHARGE
SHAVERS, TRENDON   101078   09/21/1982   THEFT O/20 U/500 BY CHECK

yes. he has addressed this... dig some more.
Rockefoten

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 09:46:29 AM

It sounds like a game and elitism, but I think it's actually showing how seriously people take each other. If Pirate doesn't disclose something himself publicly, I don't think people privy to the information would be keen on doing such a thing without asking his consent.

I can certainly appreciate everyone's wish for privacy, and this in itself does not necessarily imply game and elitism. It may as well also be taken as a sign of professionalism.
My point with my post was not primarily to have Pirate identity outed. It was more that the impression from this thread that an in-group of people was playing with an out-group of people was beginning to annoy me - with small hints and the giving out of small dots requiring each and everyone to spend time connecting all the dots (i.e. who is pirate on this picture). It is this kind of behaviour that I don't find particularly professional.

mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 10:01:09 AM

Somehow I'm not convinced when people who have admitted to being Pirate's co-conspirators (or victims) claim that they know what Pirate is doing with their money and claim that it's not a Ponzi.

There used to be a Ponzi scheme in Finland called WinCapita (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinCapita).  Many of the victims (some of whom lost tens or hundreds of thousands of euros) still believe WinCapita was legit (the founder claimed he was doing forex trading with a secret, highly efficient algorithm), even though the founder admitted guilt in 2009 and was convicted in 2011.

Pirate's operation has all the tell-tale signs of a Ponzi scheme. Just because his identity is known it doesn't mean he's not a scammer.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 10:01:26 AM

My point with my post was not primarily to have Pirate identity outed. It was more that the impression from this thread that an in-group of people was playing with an out-group of people was beginning to annoy me - with small hints and the giving out of small dots requiring each and everyone to spend time connecting all the dots (i.e. who is pirate on this picture). It is this kind of behaviour that I don't find particularly professional.

Now imagine a group of people claiming that anyone that did meet pirate will somehow be responsible for pirate's actions, simply because the  person(s) met him and now you can understand why some people are intentionally vague as to their meeting of pirate.  They don't want to deal with the BS.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 10:18:42 AM

Somehow I'm not convinced when people who have admitted to being Pirate's co-conspirators (or victims) claim that they know what Pirate is doing with their money and claim that it's not a Ponzi.

There used to be a Ponzi scheme in Finland called WinCapita (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinCapita).  Many of the victims (some of whom lost tens or hundreds of thousands of euros) still believe WinCapita was legit (the founder claimed he was doing forex trading with a secret, highly efficient algorithm), even though the founder admitted guilt in 2009 and was convicted in 2011.

Pirate's operation has all the tell-tale signs of a Ponzi scheme. Just because his identity is known it doesn't mean he's not a scammer.

everyone known who bernie madoff was ,everyone known who sergei "forgot his name " the biggest  russian pyramid  scamer  ever was

the russian guy even printed worthless share certificates with his REAL FACE on them and issued them to to share holders for cash and conned half of russia out of their life savings Cheesy

if history has taught us anything it has to be that knowing someones name is virtually zero security for your investments ..........

Rockefoten

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 10:19:33 AM

Now imagine a group of people claiming that anyone that did meet pirate will somehow be responsible for pirate's actions, simply because the  person(s) met him and now you can understand why some people are intentionally vague as to their meeting of pirate.  They don't want to deal with the BS.

I can to a point understand why people are being vague about this, it's more the impression of people being playfully vague that got to me.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: