Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:08:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PLEASE HELP: Campaign to get a bitcoin "niche ETF"  (Read 5606 times)
apetersson

Activity: 668
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 09:28:52 PM

Seriously, am I the only one willing to send a few emails to these companies to rouse their interest? What are internet forums for if not to organize harassment on people and companies?

Personally, I think Bitcoin has to have more market share and a much bigger market capitalisation before it makes sense to setup an ETF. Currently, it would not help the Bitcoin project much except maybe a price spike and more speculators which bring higher volatility.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
row5_seat47

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 09:57:27 PM

How do you feel being exactly 1 year ahead of the curve on this one?

Re: Van Eck Proposal Above

see

Winklevoss Bitcoin ETF May Not be Redeemable in Bitcoins for Individual Investors

Although it doesn’t appear that ETFs are convertible into the underlying asset at the individual investor level, there are ETFs that are trying to let investors do just that.  Van Eck is one of those companies.  Kitco Metals Reports in “Proposed Van Eck Gold, Silver ETFs Would Allow Redemptions Of Metal” that:

"Several analysts told Kitco News that it appears the main factor differentiating this planned product from the majority of the existing ETFs in North America is the ability of investors to get their hands on physical gold or silver whenever they choose to exit, although they could also cash out."

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/post/55120007013/winklevoss-bitcoin-etf-may-not-be-redeemable-in
DrGregMulhauser

Activity: 330
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 03:24:01 PM

There is a lengthy discussion underway in the Economics section on the proposed Winkelvoss Bitcoin Trust, which would provide a Bitcoin-backed ETF:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=252330.0

That particular discussion covers the potential impact of the Bitcoin ETF on Bitcoin price discovery, as well as touching on some of the ins and outs of how such products work, how creation and redemption is handled, fund expenses, and more.

If memory serves, there are at least a couple of other Bitcoin ETF threads which had been going gangbusters, although I haven't dipped into those in awhile.

Tips: 1GTvfygTCnA5LdE2dX31AtcHho6s6X9H9b
BTC Growth
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 05:05:55 PM

Stupid idea that completely negates the point of owning bitcoins in the first place.

I'm grumpy!!
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2013, 05:45:58 PM

If an ETF actually materializes, I definitely want to invest some of my ROTH IRA in it. Any future gains from that investment would be tax free!

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 05:48:48 PM

If an ETF actually materializes, I definitely want to invest some of my ROTH IRA in it. Any future gains from that investment would be tax free!

All my investments are already tax free. woo-hoo...

I'm grumpy!!
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 06:38:32 PM

There are niche ETFs for almost everything now. You can invest in specific industries and sub-industries by way of ETFs, along with numerous currencies and commodities.

Why not push these ETF companies to create a bitcoin ETF? There's no technical reason they can't do it, and I know that I for one could invest a lot more money in bitcoin if I could use my Fidelity 401k (which lets me invest in ETFs).

So, I compiled a list of companies that might release a niche ETF for bitcoin, and the best way to contact them:

_______Name_______
_______Website_______
__________Email__________
Market Vectors:
Van Eck info@vaneck.com
Global X:
GlobalX Funds info@globalxfunds.com
PowerShares:
Invesco PowerShares info@powershares.com
iShares, Barclays:
US Ishares isharesetfs@blackrock.com
Guggenheim:
Guggenheim Funds etfinfo@guggenheimfunds.com
First Trust:
FT Portfolios feedback@ftportfolios.com
Index IQ:
Index IQ Innovate@IndexIQ.com
Wisdom Tree:
Wisdom Tree web form
iPath:
iPath ETN ipathetn@blackrock.com
Currency Shares:
Currency Shares web form
Factor Shares:
Factor Shares info@factoradvisors.com
Proshares:
Proshares info@proshares.com
ETF Securities:
ETF Securities infony@etfsecurities.com

You can help; please take a moment to contact the companies above and let them know you would be interested in investing in a bitcoin ETF. If you get an interesting response from them by phone or by email, post it here! Also, post any other ETF companies that should be added to this list.

If one of them actually does it, the ease of investing in bitcoins will go WAY down, and the amount of money coming in to the bitcoin economy will go WAY up Smiley

That would be fine for Bitcoin. What about getting them to accept Litecoin?
DrGregMulhauser

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 06:50:14 PM

Stupid idea that completely negates the point of owning bitcoins in the first place.

I'm guessing that if you were to ask all the folks who would like to own Bitcoins, though -- some of whom already do and some of whom haven't been able to yet -- you'd probably find quite a few different reasons why they'd like to own them. Quite a few more might not care much whether they own any directly or not, but they might like exposure to Bitcoins as an asset. In any case, some of them would undoubtedly agree with you that it's all a stupid idea that negates their reason for wanting to own Bitcoins in the first place. Others, not so much.

In my personal view, it seems like it could be a big positive for the Bitcoin economy.

BTC Growth
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 07:08:59 PM

I'm guessing that if you were to ask all the folks who would like to own Bitcoins, though -- some of whom already do and some of whom haven't been able to yet -- you'd probably find quite a few different reasons why they'd like to own them. Quite a few more might not care much whether they own any directly or not, but they might like exposure to Bitcoins as an asset. In any case, some of them would undoubtedly agree with you that it's all a stupid idea that negates their reason for wanting to own Bitcoins in the first place. Others, not so much.

In my personal view, it seems like it could be a big positive for the Bitcoin economy.

I like how you just came on the forum to push for bitcoin investment vehicles, with no previous interest in bitcoins as a currency.

I'm grumpy!!
DrGregMulhauser

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 07:25:29 PM

I like how you just came on the forum to push for bitcoin investment vehicles, with no previous interest in bitcoins as a currency.

Cryptoanarchist, you're too funny.  Roll Eyes

I'm not sure whether you're deliberately setting out to try and turn total strangers into enemies, but my view is that all of us probably already have enough of those. If you'd like actually to read some of my previous posts that weren't about investments, I'd be happy to discuss them with you. However, I make no apologies for the fact that I have an interest in investing and have done for a long time; I also have an interest in Bitcoins and have done for a long time.

And of course, if you'd like to discuss Bitcoin investments, I'm fine with that. But co-opting an otherwise potentially interesting discussion to create an excuse for impugning my integrity -- twice now, on two different threads -- doesn't seem like it does either of us much good.

BTC Growth
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 11:51:30 PM

Cryptoanarchist, you're too funny.  Roll Eyes

I'm not sure whether you're deliberately setting out to try and turn total strangers into enemies, but my view is that all of us probably already have enough of those. If you'd like actually to read some of my previous posts that weren't about investments, I'd be happy to discuss them with you.

I read through all your posts. Its pretty obvious you came on here just to promote the bitcoin etf concept.

I'm grumpy!!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: