Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 07:38:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Pre-ANN] ThePirateBayCoin (TPB) +Torrents on the blockchain+Built in downloader  (Read 19588 times)
Voidcrafter

Activity: 481
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 10:22:51 PM

Just curious, do you have any relations with The Pirate Bay? Or are you just using their brand? Do you have any plans to support them with this endeavor?

I like your idea and am following this thread but concerned that using their name will distract from your mission.

I know a few people personally who have worked with tpb in the past, using the name isn't an issue. tpb even released the code so anyone can start their own pirate bay. Smiley
https://github.com/isohuntto/openbay

The goal is to make TPB immortal. They have been very resilient in the past but making this "coin" will make it impossible to take down making it, in essence, immortal.

That is also good to hear , I am realy looking forward to this project , I will keep an eye on this thread and would love to help where I can , I could promote , do a translation and could set up a pr twitter account once there are some solid news Smiley

another thing i was wondering about : will there be a max coin supply ?  One coin is always "pegged" against one download right ?

.Удиви мeня
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Бapaxoлкa CCCP - иcтopии и paccкaзы
 Coчи 360 - Иcтopии из жизни
 - Днeвник ГУФИкa иcтopии пpo coбaк
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
drkman

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 10:33:28 PM

Great Concept!!

Considerations:
Based on this model YiFY and a few others will potentially get the equivalent of always instamining TPB coins.

Not that they wouldn't deserve it but before setting the TPB reward for a very popular torrent setup a testnet and make sure the reward  strongly decreases with popularity so the little guy still has incentive to upload more obscure files.

Also consider whether you want copycats in mass to download a torrent and then reupload it as their own so they can get the huge TPB rewards from the popular torrents.  Have to decide if its good or bad to have hundreds of copycat torrents flooding the network for every popular file which can make it hard for people to know which torrents are safe to DL and those that aren't plus unnecessarily stuffing the database with the same file hundreds of times but under different torrent handles.
PonyBoy (OP)

Activity: 313
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 12:43:27 AM

Great Concept!!

Considerations:
Based on this model YiFY and a few others will potentially get the equivalent of always instamining TPB coins.

Not that they wouldn't deserve it but before setting the TPB reward for a very popular torrent setup a testnet and make sure the reward  strongly decreases with popularity so the little guy still has incentive to upload more obscure files.

Also consider whether you want copycats in mass to download a torrent and then reupload it as their own so they can get the huge TPB rewards from the popular torrents.  Have to decide if its good or bad to have hundreds of copycat torrents flooding the network for every popular file which can make it hard for people to know which torrents are safe to DL and those that aren't plus unnecessarily stuffing the database with the same file hundreds of times but under different torrent handles.

I plan to have a long testnet period and let everyone help debug. I think the best way to go about the upload reward system is to add a tipping button to each torrent. This would send a small amount of funds to an address that only the wallet knows that is linked to that torrent or I could even just changing the first few digits of the tipping address to differentiate it from normal transactions and not let anyone send coins to that address unless they are tipping. Once those funds are sent as a tip they start to stake like other pos coins. The more popular your torrent the more tips it gets and the more coins you are staking. Less safe and/or less popular files won't get tipped therefore won't get a stake.
SpainCoinDev

Activity: 364

SpainCoin.org

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 12:43:41 PM

To monetize this you'd have to bundle adware/spyware, like most torrent clients do. And maybe display the same crappy ads TPB used to have. And be careful because you might end up in prison like TPB's founders.

JohnnyBTCSeed

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 04:26:43 PM

If this project used the supernet api in the wallet, it could have easy access to anonymous spending, hiding ip addresses, and decentralized storage as well as many more dev eyes. Might be something to consider, cause why reinvent the wheel?
travis72682

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 04:36:46 PM

Sounds pretty sweet actually. I'll race for some coins Wink

Free coins for doing nothing https://qoinpro.com/d45ca89a36b0bfdd29925ca28760ef53
gimme free btc Tongue  :  14DsWStNquSGgJtekxd3CXZvnTsyLmGxeT
http://ribbit.me/?ref=mYUbs6r4OB  free coins or something
pimpcash:  PE4QF7MrgY6gvBuAiwFq2ckHyb7m2utTcF
PonyBoy (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 05:50:16 PM

If this project used the supernet api in the wallet, it could have easy access to anonymous spending, hiding ip addresses, and decentralized storage as well as many more dev eyes. Might be something to consider, cause why reinvent the wheel?

I'm looking into it but the first release version is going to be bare bones, other stuff like anonymity will come later. The first version will have the basic features of magnet storage on the blockchain, tipping/staking for uploaders, and paying/being paid for leaching/seeding. I don't want to add too much to the project before launch as more features means more development time.
PonyBoy (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 08:41:12 PM

To monetize this you'd have to bundle adware/spyware, like most torrent clients do. And maybe display the same crappy ads TPB used to have. And be careful because you might end up in prison like TPB's founders.

I know some advertising sites that pay in BTC per ad view I plan to work with them that way it keeps it anonymous on my end. I'm well aware of the possibility of prison, I take every precaution I can to avoid such a fate. The fact is this NEEDS to be done. The RIAA and MPAA need to be shown that they can't step on our freedoms to share information. All information should be free whether it is copyrighted or not. Once this is launched they can arrest me or sue me all they want and I have absolutely no power to take it down. They could burn me at the stake and I have no way to shut it down. I'm willing to take that risk.
mikerbiker6

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 08:49:59 PM

You could always hide behind: "Oh I didn't know this was gonna happen, all I did was create some software".

Or if people ask you could always deny that you created the app, supposedly you were only the PR person.
Besides there is no server to adress to, you are in the clear mate.

Participate and Earn on the Letstalkbitcoin forum letstalkbitcoin.com
PonyBoy (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 09:22:41 PM

You could always hide behind: "Oh I didn't know this was gonna happen, all I did was create some software".

Or if people ask you could always deny that you created the app, supposedly you were only the PR person.
Besides there is no server to adress to, you are in the clear mate.

Yeah, I'm just creating this as a group project to share linux distros among my friends.  Wink
PonyBoy (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 05:00:06 AM

Wooooot I got the perfect domain. Cheesy

http://thepiratebayco.in

Now to build the site. Cheesy
Sarahiko

Activity: 772
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 06:23:11 AM

Looking forward for this project hope the dev could assemble a good team, i like the concept hope its not a forked of datacoin but something new to everyone.
PonyBoy (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 07:01:20 AM
Last edit: January 17, 2015, 07:14:08 AM by PonyBoy

Looking forward for this project hope the dev could assemble a good team, i like the concept hope its not a forked of datacoin but something new to everyone.

I can use a few bits and pieces from datacoin but don't want POW at all. Its under 20k to store a whole torrent file. Your standard magnet file and file name is less than 200bytes. If we set block time similar to datacoin and allow 100 uploads per block/minute we should expect a block size of around 20kb per block. Using his math that is around 10.5gb per year blockchain growth. That's 52million torrents uploaded per year. Cheesy

I shouldn't need anything special like datacoin tho. All I really need is a coin with comments on the blockchain and I can incorporate that. Upload a file and it creates the magnet link. That magnet link, file name, and tipping public key are included in a comment on a tx and added to the blockchain. I do a sort and search in the wallet on the comments on the blockchain for what I want. I download the file and after the file is complete I'm given the option to tip. Once I press the button to tip a small amount of coins(a few satoshi) are sent to the pub key attached to that file. All coins sent to the public key are put up for stake in the next block round. There will be 2 seperate pub/priv key sets. One for sending regular transactions, the other is just for tips. There will be a very strict limit of how much can be sent as a tip and how often per pub key. I also have an idea of how to combat spam tips.
melwinder

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 07:44:12 AM

This seems like a really good idea, given that TPB is down still it will give a lot more incentive to have TPB live again but through Crypto Cheesy
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 02:51:55 PM

interested in how this progresses.

two HUGE points for using your real account!

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
PirateChain

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 04:26:54 PM

I'm not saying you PAY for the content, just for the bandwidth usage, you are in essence paying for a fast download. Once you upload to 1:1 you get the coins you spent back.
Unless you download premium content, then the content creator gets paid. You can always make this back by seeding back over 1:1 to gain back the coin that you spend on the premium content. example, you download an independent film that is 1gb in size and costs 5TPB to download. downloading 1gb is going to cost 1TPB but once you seed back 1:1 you gain back 1TPB, once you seed back 6:1 you would make back your original 1TPB and an aditional 5TPB, gaining back what you spend to download the content in the first place. Keep in mind that the content creator can charge less than other services like itunes since they don't have to go through another organization that has huge overhead. This means you could see new release songs come out for 10 cents a download because that is still more than the artist would get selling it on itunes at 99 cents and having most of it taken by the studio and apple.

This sounds like a really bad idea. First of all you're already going to have the government up your ass if you create this for free, but if you try to charge any money for it you'll really get taken down like Limewire or something. Also all these Bittorrent coins aren't going to matter compared to the one that finally does it 100% for free. If you run some sort of web portal where it makes it easier to navigate the torrents hidden in the blockchain or something you could serve ads on there and fund your dev costs that way. If you want this project to be truly worthy of The Pirate Bay moniker, build the first decentralized Pirate Bay that can't be taken down. That would be truly epic.

If you're talking about a decentralized P2P payment mechanism built into the protocol for artists and other entities to release premium content, that should be a backburner project until the blockchain torrent structure is implemented. At first it should just be barebones to get the concept up and running and sooner than you can blink you'll have the attention of the whole community interested in your project.

+1  charging people to upload?Huh wtf.  and charging people to download?Huh are you kidding me? this just looks like a way for the devs to make some cash.   Also, realistically the general idea of charging people for something that has been free for the last 10 years is just stupid.  It is adding complexity to the system, not making it more simple. 

2nd of all, if torrenting isn't already illegal enough in some countries, making money off of it takes it to the next level.  You get extra jail time for that. 

There is really only 2 ways that I can think of to make money from a project like this. 

1. put adverts into you client
2. premine all the coins up front and airdrop them out and then let the community use them for tipping. 
PonyBoy (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 05:13:10 PM

I'm not saying you PAY for the content, just for the bandwidth usage, you are in essence paying for a fast download. Once you upload to 1:1 you get the coins you spent back.
Unless you download premium content, then the content creator gets paid. You can always make this back by seeding back over 1:1 to gain back the coin that you spend on the premium content. example, you download an independent film that is 1gb in size and costs 5TPB to download. downloading 1gb is going to cost 1TPB but once you seed back 1:1 you gain back 1TPB, once you seed back 6:1 you would make back your original 1TPB and an aditional 5TPB, gaining back what you spend to download the content in the first place. Keep in mind that the content creator can charge less than other services like itunes since they don't have to go through another organization that has huge overhead. This means you could see new release songs come out for 10 cents a download because that is still more than the artist would get selling it on itunes at 99 cents and having most of it taken by the studio and apple.

This sounds like a really bad idea. First of all you're already going to have the government up your ass if you create this for free, but if you try to charge any money for it you'll really get taken down like Limewire or something. Also all these Bittorrent coins aren't going to matter compared to the one that finally does it 100% for free. If you run some sort of web portal where it makes it easier to navigate the torrents hidden in the blockchain or something you could serve ads on there and fund your dev costs that way. If you want this project to be truly worthy of The Pirate Bay moniker, build the first decentralized Pirate Bay that can't be taken down. That would be truly epic.

If you're talking about a decentralized P2P payment mechanism built into the protocol for artists and other entities to release premium content, that should be a backburner project until the blockchain torrent structure is implemented. At first it should just be barebones to get the concept up and running and sooner than you can blink you'll have the attention of the whole community interested in your project.

+1  charging people to upload?Huh wtf.  and charging people to download?Huh are you kidding me? this just looks like a way for the devs to make some cash.   Also, realistically the general idea of charging people for something that has been free for the last 10 years is just stupid.  It is adding complexity to the system, not making it more simple.  

2nd of all, if torrenting isn't already illegal enough in some countries, making money off of it takes it to the next level.  You get extra jail time for that.  

There is really only 2 ways that I can think of to make money from a project like this.  

1. put adverts into you client
2. premine all the coins up front and airdrop them out and then let the community use them for tipping.  

We are not premining, or running an IPO/ICO. The only way we are making any money to fund the project is through advertisements in the OP, Website, and Wallet. We may also do a fundraising campaign by selling limited edition deco coins.

We will not charge people to upload, uploaders are the ones that get paid the most, and this is where the real mining happens.

The project of letting people charge for premium content is a future addition that is planned. I want to launch the alpha build with atleast magnet storage on the blockchain, magnet search in the wallet, and built in downloader. Also, people who download will have to pay a small fee initially but when they seed back 1:1 they make back what they spent, anything seeded over is profit. Anything the downloaders pay goes directly to the seeders, none goes to us.

I'm not trying to make any money off of this coin through selling media or holding back coins for myself. I want to make this as legit as possible. I have seen way to many projects die before they even launch because the devs were greedy...
Sarahiko

Activity: 772
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 05:26:42 PM

any timeline when will be the project launch?

Its like a private tracker you need to seed in order to download, its a give and take situation.
Annington

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 05:44:06 PM

ICOs are usually scammy crap but in this case the usual Bittrex based ICO makes sense. The OP comes off as serious and building a robust altcoin based Piratebay will take lots more than one smart guy and volunteers. If they actually got it running this would maybe the only alt with built-in real world facing demand that can delink from dying Bitcoin.
EmilioMann
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1028

#mitandopelomundo

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 06:15:25 PM

very cool
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: