Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:22:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitstamp 18,000 bitcoins stolen? -confirmed  (Read 14991 times)
samaricanin

Activity: 697
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:09:47 AM

Here is guy;

I want to sell my bitcoin.I will accept $4 million.
  Roll Eyes

http://pastebin.com/6Gc1Zh2g

tonygal

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:17:25 AM

Here is guy;

Roll Eyes

Yeah, someone made a stupid joke Cheesy It would be particularly clever to sign with the
real name but use bitmessage.
Zebrasko

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:36:01 AM

It is a terrible image to bitStamp , the bitcoin as protocol is very fine ... The error/mistake is from the negligence of bitStamp.

True, Bitstamp is the one to blame and Bitcoin is a good protocol, but that is not what most people going to read. The people that are not on the forums and only get the highlights will read there was another theft of Bitcoins. Which is not the whole story with all the in and outs, but still it’s the truth. It’s more negative news.
premium_domainer
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:45:09 AM

Here is guy;

Roll Eyes

Yeah, someone made a stupid joke Cheesy It would be particularly clever to sign with the

might be but bitcoin address seems to be real one....

| 500+ Premium Crypto domains for sale | CryptoMagazine.org | Advertise in my Signature for free by PM'ing me | BitcoinsChannel.com | CryptoUniversity.org  | Are you able to see this?
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:49:10 AM

Here is guy;

Roll Eyes

might be but bitcoin address seems to be real one....

He should at least sign a message from the address , something like that :

Code:
In *this moment I'm owning this address (1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf) and today is the *06-01-2015.

Or a better thing.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:53:43 AM

My dad works in the UK police departament where this guy owner of Bitstramp call an theft over 100$ so this mean that also cold wallet was stolen.

What I can gather from your post:

1. Your dad works in UK police department, but your username sounds Russian
2. Your dad busted BitStamp owner over a $100 theft (I was hoping this figure would be in Pounds instead of Dollars since it was UK)
3. You are saying that point #1 & 2 given true, there is high possibility that BitStamp's cold wallet was hacked.

I want to smoke what you're smoking.  Tongue
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:58:06 AM

Here is guy;

Roll Eyes

Obviously someone faking it.

I just Googled the name and it belongs to a Senior Hezbollah member, who was killed in 2013
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=dd7_1384692467
Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:10:32 PM

My dad works in the UK police departament where this guy owner of Bitstramp call an theft over 100$ so this mean that also cold wallet was stolen.

What I can gather from your post:

1. Your dad works in UK police department, but your username sounds Russian
2. Your dad busted BitStamp owner over a $100 theft (I was hoping this figure would be in Pounds instead of Dollars since it was UK)
3. You are saying that point #1 & 2 given true, there is high possibility that BitStamp's cold wallet was hacked.

I want to smoke what you're smoking.  Tongue

"Kaczynski" sounds more like a Polish name than a Russian one. The languages are very similar though.
DoM P

Activity: 34

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:35:44 PM

Obviously someone faking it.

I just Googled the name and it belongs to a Senior Hezbollah member, who was killed in 2013
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=dd7_1384692467

Of course that's a joke. How could anyone believe that for one second?
AzzAz
Legendary

Activity: 1030
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:46:11 PM

Imagine this: thief already had some other coins ( i.e. LTC, DRK etc. ) an can mix it all ?
stonerider

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:47:15 PM

Will bitstamp ever come back online after this?
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:50:09 PM

It is a terrible image to bitStamp , the bitcoin as protocol is very fine ... The error/mistake is from the negligence of bitStamp.

True, Bitstamp is the one to blame and Bitcoin is a good protocol, but that is not what most people going to read. The people that are not on the forums and only get the highlights will read there was another theft of Bitcoins. Which is not the whole story with all the in and outs, but still it’s the truth. It’s more negative news.

Yeah you effectively still have to deal with centralized exchanges and thus depend on their trustworthiness. People will furthermore confuse things. This is pretty bad PR for Bitcoin. Nothing positive about this. Still, Bitstamp is handling the whole situation okay. Not good, but not bad either.

Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 12:59:36 PM

This BTC exchange supports multisig (from 3 servers) >>> http://multigateway.org/

The coin assets are backed up by the coins deposited in MGW[Multigateway], stored by the three MGW servers in multiple multisignature accounts for every supported coin.

In a multisignature account, the same address has several associated private keys or signatures. This means the servers have to agree, each of them providing their signature, in order to process the coin transactions – similar way to a joint bank account. The use of multisignature accounts and independent servers is what makes MGW more secure than any traditional centralized exchange account.

Bitcoin, Litecoin, BitcoinDark, Doge, Blackcoin, Viacoin and Nxt are currently supported (others listed on the site above). There are plans to offer asset to asset trading in the future (i.e. BTC to LTC).

Support can be found here, if required >>> https://nxtforum.org/nxtservices-releases/multigateway-user-support-thread/
r0d3r1ck

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 01:44:58 PM

i suppose i had a lucky escape, i never saw reason to keep coins in the bitstamp exchange. i traded out of my bitstamp iou's on rippletrade when the prices went out of sync. i had to take a poor ask price in ripples but at least i got my money. the bitstamp gateway was open long after the initial announcement, and i thought i was being a little paranoid by bailing out with a haircut of about 2%.

now my ~bitstamp iou balance is nil, i had some dust in there. will be interesting to see if it comes back. anyone else see this?
Bizmark13

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:18:28 PM

i suppose i had a lucky escape, i never saw reason to keep coins in the bitstamp exchange. i traded out of my bitstamp iou's on rippletrade when the prices went out of sync. i had to take a poor ask price in ripples but at least i got my money. the bitstamp gateway was open long after the initial announcement, and i thought i was being a little paranoid by bailing out with a haircut of about 2%.

now my ~bitstamp iou balance is nil, i had some dust in there. will be interesting to see if it comes back. anyone else see this?

Bitstamp has 200,000 BTC in reserves. Unlike Gox, they only lost a small percentage of total bitcoins during this hack so I think customers' deposits are safe. Poloniex suffered a similar hack which saw them lose 12.3 percent of their total BTC. They made it out fine.
DoM P

Activity: 34

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:33:16 PM

Bitstamp has 200,000 BTC in reserves. Unlike Gox, they only lost a small percentage of total bitcoins during this hack so I think customers' deposits are safe. Poloniex suffered a similar hack which saw them lose 12.3 percent of their total BTC. They made it out fine.

Smells like fractional reserves...
Bizmark13

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:38:38 PM

Bitstamp was audited by Mike Hearn, a Bitcoin dev back in May 2014. He said that everything seemed OK and all the funds were fully backed in their cold storage wallets. This was just 8 months ago and I'd be surprised if the situation has changed since then.
mike81

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:46:18 PM

Bitstamp was audited by Mike Hearn, a Bitcoin dev back in May 2014. He said that everything seemed OK and all the funds were fully backed in their cold storage wallets. This was just 8 months ago and I'd be surprised if the situation has changed since then.
From what i can read this only pertained to the BTC balance, not the USD balance.
On the other hand i don't think Pantera would have invested $10 million without a proper audit.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:23:21 PM

obviously.... that is Adam Guerbuez.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:32:57 PM

from the sound of what the ceo said that they are moving the bitstamp environment to a more secure server location means that the physical servers were not so secured.
where do they keep their physical servers ?? in their moms basement ?? seems like bitstamp should at least be PCI compliant which means their servers need to be physically secured.
when they do an 'audit' then they need to do a security audit. if their stuff is not secure then they should not be in the business. hiring the engineer is expensive but cheaper than losing 5M a year.
from what i have read it sounds like someone walked in to their datacenter (or moms basement) and stuck a flash drive into the server and walked away with the wallet.dat file.
i not saying that is what happened but gathering what the ceo said and what i have read it sounds like maybe that what happened. whatever the case is they did not have sufficient security.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: