Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:03:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think Bitcoin should modify to POW + POS ?
YES - 91 (46.7%)
NO - 104 (53.3%)
Total Voters: 195

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Bitcoin should modify to POW + POS ? █████ Poll █████  (Read 7486 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:37:19 PM

Whoop de woo, a full node, like I haven't been doing that since I started.

I am voluntarily participating in bitcoin as it was designed to work, shame on me.

PoW mining was useful for a time, since there wasn't yet any successful PoS systems running.

But now that time has passed, many PoS systems successfully running. No reason to keep buying VHS tapes, when Netflix streaming is available.

The thing is that while PoS systems may be working in practice on a small scale right now, the security experts are all claiming that poS really does not provide distributed consensus and one can see this for themselves.  

I myself am open minded and would open to poW +poS if viable.

But why are you so against PoW and mining?

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:39:12 PM

So successful in fact that you resist moving to them and troll BITCOINtalk with incessant pleas to be just like them.

lol, you are the one trolling, since this poll shows at least 50% people agrees with me and vote YES.

The NO votes are probably all miner shills like you, since they have to protect their mining interest. The YES votes don't need to protect any interest, but are truly people asking for change in Bitcoin.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:40:17 PM

The thing is that while PoS systems may be working in practice on a small scale right now, the security experts are all claiming that poS really does not provide distributed consensus and one can see this for themselves.  

Sources?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:40:18 PM

This is a ridiculous idea. Let Bitcoin sink or swim as it exists now. Don't try to fix it. If it succeeds, we all own some and will profit. If it starts to fail we can always trade our btc for its successor. At this point, I don't even want it fixed. I think multiple coins may be necessary to do everything people want to do, one for anynomity, one for large international funds transfer, one for micropayments/tipping, and so on. The one that ends up being the most secure will end up taking the large dollar amount transfer business. Bitcoin can keep micropayments/tipping. Darkcoin may end up being the winner for privacy.

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:43:39 PM

Again, when there's a leech on my leg, I kill the leech, instead of cutting off my leg. So as a stakeholder of Bitcoin, I will try to kill the Bitcoin leech, instead off cutting off my Bitcoin stake.

So you are afraid of the current PoS currencies? Moving your wealth into them is as drastically equivalent to cutting off your leg? Why would that be?

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:44:05 PM

So successful in fact that you resist moving to them and troll BITCOINtalk with incessant pleas to be just like them.

lol, you are the one trolling, since this poll shows at least 50% people agrees with me and vote YES.

The NO votes are probably all miner shills like you, since they have to protect their mining interest. The YES votes don't need to protect any interest, but are truly people asking for change in Bitcoin.
I NO voted because it could be an issue with forking, we don't want two versions of bitcoin floating about.

Forking is a non-issue, Bitcoin has had multiple hard forks in the past. The community will choose the fork that are released and checkpointed by the core devs always.

kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:45:27 PM

Again, when there's a leech on my leg, I kill the leech, instead of cutting off my leg. So as a stakeholder of Bitcoin, I will try to kill the Bitcoin leech, instead off cutting off my Bitcoin stake.

So you are afraid of the current PoS currencies? Moving your wealth into them is as drastically equivalent to cutting off your leg? Why would that be?

Of course it is, I owned Bitcoin since April 2011, it wouldn't be a drastic move to move my entire Bitcoin stake into an altcoin? don't be ridiculous. Pushing for change in Bitcoin is a much more sensible move for Bitcoin stakeholders. Though for you mining shill, moving to PoS it's a disaster of course, you can no longer leech value out of Bitcoin.

Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:45:33 PM

I NO voted because it could be an issue with forking, we don't want two versions of bitcoin floating about.

Yah, I don't know why I'm bothering to argue really, I would be quite happy to instantly dump my coin in the PoS fork and double down on the PoW fork.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:46:22 PM

2 points :

1) You seem incapable to empathize with the arguments from others that PoW offers different and possibly better security benefits than PoS/DPoS
2) Using your analogy you are indeed cutting off the leg or at least taking a chunk of meat out with your approach to changing Bitcoin

You appear to me as someone who doesn't have much experience working on open source projects where people voluntarily contribute code. Unless you are the project coordinator or cheif github maintainer that has been earned through years of contributions in code you have no place to be making the demands you are making.

If you truly want bitcoin to change consensus mechanisms than you either need to start contributing to the open source repo and interacting with devs in a positive way or indirectly by hiring or befriending the devs directly.

whining on a web forum is not going to produce results and may even be counter productive.

onemorebtc

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:47:22 PM

i voted no and i stopped mining a looong time ago.
i just dont think any pos system offers the same security as pow does.
and i like to keep my money secure..

if you store your gold open in your garden please dont force me to do the same because i prefer to use power to secure mine

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:47:35 PM

2 points :

1) You seem incapable to empathize with the arguments from others that PoW offers different and possibly better security benefits than PoS/DPoS
2) Using your analogy you are indeed cutting off the leg or at least taking a chunk of meat out with your approach to changing Bitcoin

You appear to me as someone who doesn't have much experience working on open source projects where people voluntarily contribute code. Unless you are the project coordinator or cheif github maintainer that has been earned through years of contributions in code you have no place to be making the demands you are making.

If you truly want bitcoin to change consensus mechanisms than you either need to start contributing to the open source repo and interacting with devs in a positive way or indirectly by hiring or befriending the devs directly.

whining on a web forum is not going to produce results and may even be counter productive.

Don't be ridiculous, only developers can influence change in Bitcoin? All the non-coding Bitcoin community can just shut up then?

Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:48:10 PM

Of course it is, I owned Bitcoin since April 2011, it wouldn't be a drastic move to move my entire Bitcoin stake into an altcoin? don't be ridiculous. Pushing for change in Bitcoin is a much more sensible move for Bitcoin stakeholders. Though for you mining shill, moving to PoS it's a disaster of course, you can no longer leech value out of Bitcoin.

So your position is that PoS is proven, but not actually proven enough that YOUR money should be at risk?

kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:48:48 PM

i voted no and i stopped mining a looong time ago.
and i like to keep my money secure..

if you store your gold open in your garden please dont force me to do the same because i prefer to use power to secure mine

Just the opposite, PoW is really lacking in security, PoS offers hundreds time better security. PoW altcoins are a joke to attack and kill. No PoS altcoin has fallen to attacks yet.

kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:51:21 PM

So your position is that PoS is proven, but not actually proven enough that YOUR money should be at risk?

No, it's more of a: Berlin has better subway system, I don't quit my job, uproot my family and move to Berlin, I influence change in my home town to have the same subway system. Got it?

onemorebtc

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:51:25 PM

Just the opposite, PoW is really lacking in security, PoS offers hundreds time better security. PoW altcoins are a joke to attack and kill. No PoS altcoin has fallen to attacks yet.

your opinion

and "it hasnt been broken yet" is not an acceptable argument for security

inBitweTrust

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:51:43 PM

2 points :

Don't be ridiculous, only developers can influence change in Bitcoin? All the non-coding Bitcoin community can just shut up then?

We are taking about changing the consensus mechanism from PoW to PoS/DPoS ... of course only the devs can accomplish this. We are talking about code here. If you read my statement non-developers can only indirectly influence devs.

Daedelus

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:52:07 PM

What makes you think this?
kokojie
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:52:46 PM

your opinion

and "it hasnt been broken yet" is not an acceptable argument for security

Wait what? proven broken vs not broken yet, is not an argument for security? So you will choose the proven broken, vs the not yet broken? You will choose an already cracked ecryption algo, over AES-256?

onemorebtc

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:53:29 PM

We are taking about changing the consensus mechanism from PoW to PoS/DPoS ... of coarse only the devs can accomplish this. We are talking about code here. If you read my statement non-developers can only indirectly influence devs.

the point is *ANY* dev can do this change. thats the beauty for oss... it doesnt matter if its gavin or your friend peter

the question is whom the users will follow...

i would just sell my pos bitcoin for real ones Wink

inBitweTrust

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:56:25 PM

What makes you think this?

This has been discussed Ad Naseum... start with Vitalik's multiple articles before he settled upon PoW for ethereum:

https://blog.ethereum.org/

or some research papers like:
https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00945053/document

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: