Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 04:04:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop saying the Bitstamp coins were dumped!! They are right $%&#ing here -- >  (Read 5519 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:16:50 AM

When have people ever listened to reason and logic in regards to Bitcoin?

Cheesy truer words never were spoken.

Naruto.me

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:47:46 AM

Mixers don't work well (especially for large amounts) and are being de-annonymized. You need to transfer to an exchange to change to altcoins and those coins can also be marked and tracked. Localbitcoins is an option but will leave a trail and requires meeting in person or bank details. Shady deals are possible but difficult to arrange and now that the whole world knows the Bitstamp coins are out there it would be quite difficult to move big blocks of them in this way without raising red flags. So tell me exactly, how are they going to dump these coins on the market?

Is it possible to send the coin to exchange and buy some darkcoin. And the use darksend to mixed the coin (very little amount). And the convert to bitcoin again ?

I think this make people very difficult to trace that. (of course not 100% impossible)
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:53:36 AM

I think this make people very difficult to trace that. (of course not 100% impossible)

He can buy 18K BTC worth of darkcoin, run it through 50 addresses, use it to buy 18k BTC worth of carrots in california, truck them to florida, sell those for oranges, truck those to New York and sell those for doge and we'll STILL know where the funds are.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:59:09 AM

if Karpeles can launder 750,000 bitcoins, it can be done.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:07:10 AM

People keep attributing the fall to $270 on the 19k coins being dumped on Finex or other exchange(s). This is not the case!! The coins haven't moved out of the address they were sent to  ----- > https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

Could the fall have been due to dumping precipitated by insider info..? yes. Were the hacked Bitstamp coins dumped..? no. Can the coins be dumped..? not easily and definitely not in a way that is going to crash the market further.

So just stop... please... thanks already...

Really! So, bitcoins were stolen starting on 2015-01-04 02:26:20 to most recently 2015-01-06 19:00:13, ~6 hours ago, eh? Excuse me while I go and place another Monarch order over at BFL, for me so gullible. Fuck it! Me goin' hedge my bet and order from EMIC as well just in case one or the other is a day or two late in making their delivery to me.
medialab101 (OP)

Activity: 583

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:12:43 AM

All those coins were off-blockchain and the database that should match those internal address with the blockchain was tampered with. That's why we haven't been able to follow those coins. Although the 200,000 that were 'found' was due to Karpeles displaying proof of solvency several years back by signing a public address that he controlled. The community saw that those 200,000 coins were linked back to that address. So yeah, on-blockchain transactions are difficult to obfuscate.
medialab101 (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:15:23 AM

People keep attributing the fall to $270 on the 19k coins being dumped on Finex or other exchange(s). This is not the case!! The coins haven't moved out of the address they were sent to  ----- > https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

Could the fall have been due to dumping precipitated by insider info..? yes. Were the hacked Bitstamp coins dumped..? no. Can the coins be dumped..? not easily and definitely not in a way that is going to crash the market further.

Really! So, bitcoins were stolen starting on 2015-01-04 02:26:20 to most recently 2015-01-06 19:00:13, ~6 hours ago, eh? Excuse me while I go and place another Monarch order over at BFL, for me so gullible. Fuck it! Me goin' hedge my bet and order from EMIC as well just in case one or the other is a day or two late in making their delivery to me.

As Bitstamp stated on several public channels and in emails to clients, they no longer control the deposit address and they advise people to STOP SENDING BITCOINS THERE!! Some people just haven't gotten that message yet. Also, some mining operations do auto deposit, etc...
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:20:09 AM

He can buy 18K BTC worth of darkcoin, run it through 50 addresses, use it to buy 18k BTC worth of carrots in california, truck them to florida, sell those for oranges, truck those to New York and sell those for doge and we'll STILL know where the funds are.

Exactly! That's why every satoshi of the 25K BTC stolen from allinvain was returned to him thanks to a similar tracking system you just described: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=16457.0

Rumor has it that the BTC that Tom Williams stole four years ago is going to be found and returned next week.

The Mt Gox stolen coins is a different story. Investigators are combing through Mark Karpele's apple pie recipe books to see if he stored the passwords in its margins.

chaoman

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:30:18 AM

is it a blockchain.info wallet? if so could blockchain confiscate it and give it back to bitstamp?
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:32:22 AM

As Bitstamp stated on several public channels and in emails to clients, they no longer control the deposit address and they advise people to STOP SENDING BITCOINS THERE!! Some people just haven't gotten that message yet. Also, some mining operations do auto deposit, etc...

Could hacking be the new money laundering? Hell, it's even a tax right off. One doesn't even have to bother with paying insurance premiums, for that would only bring in another set of eyes to look over the books if/when such were/is implemented.
BreathOfZen

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:35:22 AM

is it a blockchain.info wallet? if so could blockchain confiscate it and give it back to bitstamp?
Hopefully for sanity's sake, it is not and the are doing Bitcoin the hard way. It is an interesting question though if the Bitcoin core team could develop a "Banned list" that is issued to the accepting nodes and refuses to transfer coins from banned accounts though.

Aoeui Artifacts
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:40:14 AM

All those coins were off-blockchain and the database that should match those internal address with the blockchain was tampered with. That's why we haven't been able to follow those coins. Although the 200,000 that were 'found' was due to Karpeles displaying proof of solvency several years back by signing a public address that he controlled. The community saw that those 200,000 coins were linked back to that address. So yeah, on-blockchain transactions are difficult to obfuscate.

How do you get/create/buy/sell coins off-blockchain?

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 01:42:58 AM

No multisig?
medialab101 (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:48:42 AM

Every time you send Bitcoins to an exchange you in effect no longer have any Bitcoin. What you have are numbers in a database and a promise that Bitcoin will be returned to you when you request them. Those numbers in the database are off-blockchain transactions of 'Bitcoin'
coinits
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:51:08 AM

Every time you send Bitcoins to an exchange you in effect no longer have any Bitcoin. What you have are numbers in a database and a promise that Bitcoin will be returned to you when you request them. Those numbers in the database are off-blockchain transactions of 'Bitcoin'

Why? That is a big security flaw. A ledger is a ledger is a ledger. Is this true for all cryptos?

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
medialab101 (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 01:56:06 AM

Why? That is a big security flaw. A ledger is a ledger is a ledger. Is this true for all cryptos?

Yes, this is true of all cryptos. There are only a few online services that actually let you control your own coins. Blockchain.info is the most well-know and I think maybe Coinkite and Greenaddress? That's why you see people in the forums always telling people to keep their coins offline in cold storage and not on exchanges.
coinits
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 02:00:59 AM

Yes, this is true of all cryptos. There are only a few online services that actually let you control your own coins. Blockchain.info is the most well-know and I think maybe Coinkite and Greenaddress? That's why you see people in the forums always telling people to keep their coins offline in cold storage and not on exchanges.

Well any exchange that allows off-blockchain, IMO, is a scamhive. Exchanges need to be eliminated from the swap process.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 02:03:48 AM

Price dropped because all the Bitstamp coins were dumped.

Lol.

FUD seems to rule short term, but as the fiat price has born out, not over the long term.
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 03:22:07 AM

Come on, wise up.  If they have other coins they can sell those and still be long coins...  No need to sell these ones yet.
Naruto.me

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 04:27:06 AM

Exactly! That's why every satoshi of the 25K BTC stolen from allinvain was returned to him thanks to a similar tracking system you just described: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=16457.0

Rumor has it that the BTC that Tom Williams stole four years ago is going to be found and returned next week.

The Mt Gox stolen coins is a different story. Investigators are combing through Mark Karpele's apple pie recipe books to see if he stored the passwords in its margins.

I am sorry I don't understand how the tracking system work.

Let say the thief send 5 BTC to a new address , then use shapeshift convert the coin to darkcoin. Assume he hide his IP during the whole process
How to trace to the thief diectly??
just a curious noob question
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: