Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:06:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Subforum naming FAIL  (Read 2787 times)
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2012, 10:41:20 PM

Why are FPGAs considered "custom hardware" but GPUs are not?

I mine on (among other things) one of these boards, which were on sale before bitcoin existed:

http://www.xilinx.com/univ/xupv5-lx110t.htm

Why is that considered "custom" yet mining on an ATI graphics card isn't?

I understand that the old naming scheme was not ideal, but the new one is actually worse.  If you mean "everything that isn't a CPU or GPU" then say that -- I can't say that I think that's a good organizational scheme, but at least it's self-consistent.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 10:44:27 PM

They should have just created a new group - ASIC and left FPGA alone.
wildemagic

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 11:34:24 PM

I think hardware should be hardware, the root being cpus and gpus that are part of the normal pc hardware.

There should also be a separate section for FPGA and separate ASIC (or speculation since there are no mining ASIC atm)

kind regards

.,-._|\     Offgrid 1.7kW Solar and 3G wireless internet powering my mining rig.
/ .Oz. \
\_,--.x/     [219.5btc of successful trades total] with : rastapool, miernik, flatronw & OneFixt
       o
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2012, 12:12:12 AM

cpus and gpus that are part of the normal pc hardware.

I own at least three different normal PCI cards (two network, one graphics, off the top of my head) with FPGAs on them.  You probably haven't noticed how often FPGAs are part of your "normal pc hardware".

The current classification really is "mining using devices made by companies who spend a lot of money on advertising to consumers" vs "everything else".  I really can't think of any other reason why GPUs are not "custom" and FPGAs are.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 02:04:41 AM

my gpu doesn't need to be programmed to mine.  there's no firmware update and no bitstream.
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2012, 03:15:25 AM

my gpu doesn't need to be programmed to mine.  there's no firmware update and no bitstream.

Wha?  This is just plain false.  Your GPU won't mine unless you upload code written in OpenCL/CUDA.

Calling it "shader code" instead of "firmware" or "bitstream" is just a matter of terminology.

Here's the source code for the part of DiabloMiner that is written in OpenCL and gets compiled and uploaded to the card.

nimnul

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2012, 04:05:43 AM

"Custom hardware" means hardware built specifically for the task of mining.

Standard FPGA development boards are not custom hardware.
GPGPUs are not custom hardware.

But if someone designs a PCB for FPGA or even attaches his own casing or power supply for standard boards it's custom hardware.

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2012, 05:57:33 AM

"Custom hardware" means hardware built specifically for the task of mining.

If that's the case, why haven't all the threads about multi-GPU machines been moved into this subforum (seriously, does anybody use a machine with four video cards for gaming?)

Standard FPGA development boards are not custom hardware.

If that's the case, why haven't the threads about ztex's boards been moved out of this subforum?  He was selling them as standard development boards long before anybody (even him) was mining on them.

If that's the case, haven't the threads about FPGA bitstream development been moved out of this subforum?  The verilog code for fpgaminer's miner ran on (and still runs on) standard FPGA development boards before it ran on "custom" hardware.

I'm not actually asking for any of this to happen; I'm just pointing out that, based on their (in)actions, the forum moderators do not apparently agree with your (totally reasonable) definition of "custom hardware".

MXRider

Activity: 466

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 07:16:38 AM
Last edit: July 07, 2012, 10:41:33 AM by MXRider

Now I know what eldentyrell does everyday instead of making his bitstream to work on enterpoint boards. He is being a smartass
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2012, 06:04:02 PM

Now I know what eldentyrell does everyday instead of making his bitstream to work on enterpoint boards.

It does work on enterpoint boards.  You just need to use a JTAG cable.  If you want to use their proprietary USB interface, tell them to hurry up and submit a driver.

He is being a smartass

No, I'm pointing out the fact that the subforum renaming was done poorly.  And suggesting that it be redone.

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 06:35:43 PM

You twit, the thread relates to boards and moderation, so that's why it stays in Meta.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 11:09:53 PM

I mine on (among other things) one of these boards, which were on sale before bitcoin existed:

http://www.xilinx.com/univ/xupv5-lx110t.htm

Why is that considered "custom" yet mining on an ATI graphics card isn't?

I understand that the old naming scheme was not ideal, but the new one is actually worse.  If you mean "everything that isn't a CPU or GPU" then say that -- I can't say that I think that's a good organizational scheme, but at least it's self-consistent.
How much MH/s do you get on the LX110?

thanks

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
SamHa1n

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 01:38:53 PM

agree on the naming fail..  shortbus style
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 08:33:58 PM

How much MH/s do you get on the LX110?

Nowhere near its capacity.  I'm running a truly ancient version of my code.  Since I only own one of those boards the return-on-time-spent-optimizing is very, very low.

I did pick up three desoldered LX110 chips (not boards) super-cheap… if I ever get around to mounting those on PCBs I'll probably go back and try to improve the performance.

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 08:34:23 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2012, 09:52:40 PM by eldentyrell

agree on the naming fail..  shortbus style

Has anybody started a poll on the subforum naming situation?

If not, I will…. let me know if we need other options besides these

- Hardware>FPGA
  - Hardware>Not-GPU-or-CPU
  - Hardware>FPGA-or-ASIC
  - Hardware>FPGA and Hardware>ASIC
  - Hardware>FPGA and Hardware>VLSI
  - Hardware>FPGA and Hardware>Speculative (w/ intent to create Hardware>ASIC once one is 3rdparty-verified)
  - eldentyrell should remove 2112 from his ignore list

It's tempting to include an option for a GPU subforum, but I think that's best done as a separate poll.  This one is mostly meant to resolve the "where do discussions of not-yet-released ASIC products go".

(and no, I'm not moving this to Meta; the people most affected by this are the people who read the Hardware forum.  Nobody but the mods reads Meta so it's a really dumb place for polls).

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 09:02:05 PM

let me know if we need other options besides these
- eldentyrell suffers from OCD
- eldentyrell suffers from OCPD
- eldentyrell should watch "As good as it gets"
- eldentyrell should take a marketing class
- eldentyrell should take a library science class
- eldentyrell should socialize with some business school students

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 02:34:20 AM

Custom:

Not Custom:

Custom:

Not Custom:

Not Custom:

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 05:07:51 AM

Custom:
Not Custom:
Custom:
Not Custom:
Not Custom:

Thank you for confirming that there is absolutely no correlation between the name of the subforum and the partitioning of threads between it and its parent forum.  Possibly even negative correlation.

bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 05:10:21 PM

Why not:

1) PURPOSE-BUILT Hardware (ASIC, FPGA, Time Machines, Vibrators, Sex Robots)
2) MULTI-PURPOSE Hardware (GPUs, Wodden Sticks, Sporks, George Foreman Grille)

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 08:09:23 PM

Not Custom:

Man, the Digilent boards are about as custom as the other FPGA hardware sold here. Digilent wouldn't exist without continuous support from the marketing funds of XLNX, which acts as a rich daddy and organizes group purchases by the educational institutions.

That XUPV5 board that eldentyrell had linked to is even more custom than any other Digilent's product. They were given away for free by SUNW/JAVA in an attempt to position SPARC as an open industry standard. If not for the marketing budget of Sun Microsystems only a handfull would ever be sold. The price tags on them are just for show and tax deduction purposes.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: