Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:48:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are You Greek?
Yes, and I live in Greece! - 93 (63.3%)
Yes, and I live in a different country! - 11 (7.5%)
No, but I live in Greece! - 3 (2%)
No, but I frequently travel to Greece! - 3 (2%)
No, but I live in Greece part of the year! - 1 (0.7%)
No, but I can't resist participating in a poll! - 35 (23.8%)
No, but I own property in Greece! - 1 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 147

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ελλάς (Greece)  (Read 38040 times)
imanikin (OP)

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 01, 2012, 12:04:07 PM

Bitcoin is just too different from what the vast majority of people are use to and they don't like the idea of such a big change.
Older people also have this kind of "fear" about computer stuff.

...Converting euros to bitcoins sounds like a nice idea and I'm in favor. Especially for Greek people if we are to go back to a domestic currency. ...

But I believe Greece's major problem is not the economy! It's the corrupt politicians who could not care less about their country. All they care about is their personal power and profit.
Thanks for the update! That's perplexing to me and the people with whom i discuss this.

People don't like such a big change everywhere, and old people fear computer stuff everywhere.
Politicians are corrupt and self-serving everywhere i've been, with the only difference being how much the local political climate and system allows them to pocket...

PLUS, Greeks seem to have the most to gain from converting to B, if they exit euro zone. Yet, Greece has yet to appear on Google Trends for Bitcoin, where smaller, less troubled countries, such as Finland, constantly appear.

There seems to be some other Greek idiosyncrasy at work there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2012, 05:37:48 PM

Just in case Greece opts out of the euro and decides to go with bitcoin, Paytunia is now translated in greek for android mobile phones  Grin
I do not live in Greece but one of my cousins does..However if you find any inaccuracies, please let me know.

imanikin (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2012, 12:05:14 PM

Bank and food run of 2012

freespirit

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2012, 03:25:54 PM
Last edit: June 14, 2012, 03:45:57 PM by freespirit

No government will ever switch to bitcoin as they want to be able to "print" and otherwise manipulate currency as much as they wish (although formally central banks are usually "independent" from them). They obviously can't do this with bitcoin.
So it is up to vendors, entrepreneurs etc. to make bitcoin widely used.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 15, 2012, 11:32:18 AM

Some financial tool providers I use advise to cover EUR trades over this weekend as the Greece elections are on. Bitcoin is up and up. Coincidence?

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 01:43:31 AM

Seems like the default is postponed...

cantor

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2012, 02:58:22 AM

Subscribing, interested in anything regarding Greece Smiley
Tritonio

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

Vanity of vanities; all is vanity...

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 02:28:35 PM

http://www.pirateparty.gr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=237&hilit=bitcoin
Bitcoin discussion in Greek Pirate Party's forum. It's a bit old though.
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 11:06:03 PM

http://www.pirateparty.gr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=237&hilit=bitcoin
Bitcoin discussion in Greek Pirate Party's forum. It's a bit old though.
Cool! Thank you very much!

Do most advanced Greek computer users and hackers visit Insomnia?

In which forum do the Greek investors and penny-pinchers talk about financial stuff?

It would be interesting to hear from them here! ...even in Greek! Smiley

imanikin (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 11:26:34 PM

Ah yes, here is something about B at Insomnia

imanikin (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 02:51:48 PM

Hundreds of people using this TEM thing in Greece, yet we only got a handful of Greeks to respond here in the poll, and Bitcoin still doesn't seem to be anywhere on the Greek map.

It's funny and sad at the same time... Cheesy

Feels like all that says something enormous and multifaceted about Bitcoin, Greece, human nature, etcetera that is difficult to process and explain...

I wonder whether it would be possible or useful for the TEM people to back it with Bitcoin...  Huh

Tritonio

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 06:11:47 PM

I wonder whether it would be possible or useful for the TEM people to back it with Bitcoin...  Huh

Who is going to pay for every new person that goes into the TEM system? Every newcomer gets a fixed number of TEMs for free. If they are backed by bitcoins somebody should buy those bitcoins in the first place.
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 03:47:49 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2012, 04:28:48 PM by imanikin

I wonder whether it would be possible or useful for the TEM people to back it with Bitcoin...  Huh
Who is going to pay for every new person that goes into the TEM system? Every newcomer gets a fixed number of TEMs for free. If they are backed by bitcoins somebody should buy those bitcoins in the first place.
Yes, i guess, the organizer of TEM and those guys he has behind the computers would have to buy the backing, which doesn't seem likely, or may even be pointless...

I don't exactly understand how the valuation works in TEM - how they determine how many TEM anything is.

Perhaps, TEM is not really currency, but just another barter ledger system that is presented as a local  currency in this video.

Maybe the reason the average Greeks are not interested in Bitcoin is simply because they are so tired of all the currency-related shenanigans that they would rather just go to the modern versions of prehistoric barter than some nebulous, uncertain geek experiment of Bitcoin...  Huh

Would one of our Greek members be willing to contact the TEM organizer, and inquire why he would not want to use Bitcoin instead of TEM?

Serenata

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 09:38:53 AM

I read about how TEM works and I'll try to explain it here for the ones interested.

• There is no supply/production of TEM units. The total number of TEM units is always zero.
  • If Alice wants to buy something from Bob and they agree on 10TEM units, Alice's account goes to -10TEM and Bob's account goes to 10TEM. A healthy account should fluctuate from negative to positive and vice versa. You can not go too far into negative, there is a limit.
  • To sign up, you need to provide ID and signature.
  • When you sign up you can see all ads about goods and services and you can place your own ad.
  • You can comment on your transactions and you can see other people's accounts and comments
  • It's not mentioned though, how goods and services are valued and how local trades are being made.

Their web site is at: http://www.tem-magnisia.gr/

Backing TEM with Bitcoin might prove to be too difficult, because Bitcoin has features like coins supply, interest rates etc and TEM does not. Fundamental design differences.

BitcoinX.gr - Το ελληνικό στέκι του Bitcoin

My GPG Key
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:36:27 PM

I read about how TEM works and I'll try to explain it here for the ones interested.
---
Their web site is at: http://www.tem-magnisia.gr/

Backing TEM with Bitcoin might prove to be too difficult, because Bitcoin has features like coins supply, interest rates etc and TEM does not. Fundamental design differences.
Thank you for clarifying that!

So, it's not really a currency as the video presented, but a local barter network.
It sounds like offline Ripple Pay on paper, with an offline database.

Seems well-suited for the average merchant/consumer, because they are used to paper, there is nothing to steal or hack, and the chief of it all can be found locally.
Bitcoin is difficult to comprehend and trust in comparison, if one is not swift with computers...

As long as they don't wish to trade outside their local economy, TEM seems great fit for them.

When they wish to trade outside, they could start using Ripple, and have the same TEM-type system online...

Would be interesting to hear from the TEM boss regarding Ripple, and his future plans for TEM in general. I will try to contact him when i get a round tuit...

imanikin (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2012, 04:48:53 PM

...just so we have as much Greece<>Bitcoin related info here as possible:

Reason.com article

No word from tem-magnisia group yet. Does anyone have connections to the TEM founder, Yiannis Grigoriou, through some kind of social networking?

imanikin (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2012, 01:03:32 AM

Just did another search of pages in Greek. Still outside bitcoinx.gr and some blurbs on deltahacker.gr, i can't find much about B in Greek space.

I thought by now, it would at least be maligned as a scam somewhere in the Greek media...

So perplexing...  Huh

pazor
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 11:09:18 PM

subscribed

treuhand-Dienst gewünscht? - frag per PM an
BTC 174X17nR7vEQBQo4GXKRGMGaTmB49Gf1yT
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:18:24 PM

Would any of the natives please gives us their thoughts on this article:
Bitcoin:monetary revolution of the digital generation

I see a few more in the *.gr realm lately, but still doesn't even show up in Google Trends data for Greece. Perhaps, Greeks mostly use some other search engine?

Tritonio

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 05:04:12 PM

Would any of the natives please gives us their thoughts on this article:
Bitcoin:monetary revolution of the digital generation
It's a quite good presentation of Bitcoin for the layman. It has some mistakes and misses a few aspects (it would be way more interesting if it presented Bitcoin along with some libertarian principles instead of just mentioning how today's governments are corrupt) but overall it's nice.
I see a few more in the *.gr realm lately, but still doesn't even show up in Google Trends data for Greece. Perhaps, Greeks mostly use some other search engine?
Nope. We use almost exclusively Google like the rest of the world but there are fewer than 5mil internet users from Greece AFAIK so Google trends usually ain't that clear for us.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: