Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:32:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are You Greek?
Yes, and I live in Greece! - 93 (63.3%)
Yes, and I live in a different country! - 11 (7.5%)
No, but I live in Greece! - 3 (2%)
No, but I frequently travel to Greece! - 3 (2%)
No, but I live in Greece part of the year! - 1 (0.7%)
No, but I can't resist participating in a poll! - 35 (23.8%)
No, but I own property in Greece! - 1 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 147

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ελλάς (Greece)  (Read 38040 times)
imanikin (OP)

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 02:46:00 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2012, 03:07:30 PM by imanikin

Not that out government is sane in any way but why would they trust the virtual currency of a social network based in Hong Kong?
I wonder if it's even true that the Greek government is using it. If you've never heard of it, then it's probably not often mentioned in the Greek media...

Who in the Greek government would be the one to ask if it's true that they use Ven?

It's peculiar that the virtual currency Ven only seems to trade against fiat currencies, and we don't have any xchanges to it in the B world, nor have i seen it at any of the non-bitcoin virtual currency exchanges ...  Huh

Upd: I see: it's one way only. Once you buy Ven, you can't get fiat with it again.  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Tritonio

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

Vanity of vanities; all is vanity...

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 05:25:48 PM

Upd: I see: it's one way only. Once you buy Ven, you can't get fiat with it again.  Cheesy

(BTW Wikipedia says that "It trades against other major currencies at floating exchange rates.". So I guess you can sell it back for fiat currencies.)

Which probably means that its one way only on Hub Culture (the social network that issues Ven) they "print" new Vens in exchange for fiat money. If that's true, even Diablo3 gold is a better currency than this since you find it by actually doing something (killing stuff in a game) and Blizzard doesn't just "print" Diablo3 gold because someone is paying them a price.

Although I don't really get what this means:
Ven is the only virtual currency available in the financial markets. It is implemented via a partnership with Thomson Reuters and enables pricing on more than 500,000 Reuters terminals worldwide. The currency uses a ‘basket’ pricing structure based on a mixture of global currencies, commodities and carbon futures.

So they print it whenever someone pays up to them to buy Ven but the price they ask is based on a combination of prices of multiple currencies etc?
Serenata

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 06:50:00 PM

It's the first time I hear about VEN. I haven't heard/read anything about it in the media nor on the internet (Greek news portals, blogs etc). I very much doubt that VEN is being used in any way in Greece. TBH, I don't think that our politicians even know what a virtual currency is since a lot of them are computer (and internet) illiterate.

BitcoinX.gr - Το ελληνικό στέκι του Bitcoin

My GPG Key
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 11:08:13 PM

Well, in any case, it sounds like you are not in danger of Ven, and you already have TEM, which seems more useful in Greece.

Plus, we are already too busy with Bitcoin, its clones, the upcoming RippleCoin, Pecunix, eDinar, SLL, and whatever else is being designed. We don't want to overdose on virtual currencies.  Cheesy

klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 09:13:34 AM

Hi everyone!

I was born and live in Greece for all my life. I love bitcoin, biotechnology (still try to find a way to marry these two) and science/technology in general.

I work as a developer for a telecom company.

Nice to meet u all here. Let's make bitcoin as known/strong as possible in our country..
pazor
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:13:15 AM

@klee

setup some mining rigs to support bitcoin !

treuhand-Dienst gewünscht? - frag per PM an
BTC 174X17nR7vEQBQo4GXKRGMGaTmB49Gf1yT
Tritonio

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 11:38:30 PM

Or invest in a mining company. :-)
They can buy hardware and mine for you. Preferably don't invest in mining bonds though.
Although with GLBSE down it must be somewhat harder. You can either go for something automated like Pyramining (yay I finally used my referral somewhere!) if you trust them or hand in hand transaction with one of the past GLBSE issuers. (check out BTC-MINING, it seemed like a good case)
pazor
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 08:26:22 AM

Or invest in a mining company. :-)
They can buy hardware and mine for you. Preferably don't invest in mining bonds though.
Although with GLBSE down it must be somewhat harder. You can either go for something automated like Pyramining (yay I finally used my referral somewhere!) if you trust them or hand in hand transaction with one of the past GLBSE issuers. (check out BTC-MINING, it seemed like a good case)

thanks tritonio for the tip about btc-mining.i can confirm it!

klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 02:11:53 PM

@klee

No resources to do so...though I support mining indirectly through pyramining...
Tritonio

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:33:31 PM

@klee

No resources to do so...though I support mining indirectly through pyramining...

I just have an account at pyramining. I still don't trust them. I mean if they get enough people joining and depositing they could be easily running an actual pyramid scheme without any mining involved at all. I believe they have posted photos of their mining hardware somewhere once (haven't seen them though) but that's not enough to trust them IMO. I mean they don't even publish an address and we only know what country they are in so at any time they can sell their mining hardware (if any) grab the money and make like a tree and leave.

Does anyone have more info about them?
pazor
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 12:33:34 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131574.0;topicseen

... kai meta 8eloume na mas pernoun savara!

ma se ka8e vrwmia pou exei vgei gia to bitcoin, den uparxei periptwsh pou na mhn exei lavei meros kai enas ellinas!
ELEOS.
Aman pia!

Tritonio

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 06:10:34 PM

Translation of the above (I will post my answer afterwards):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131574.0;topicseen

... and then we want people to take us (Greeks) seriously.

In every fud spread or scam related to bitcoin there is no chance that not even one Greek was involved!
MERCY!
Enough already!
Tritonio

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 06:33:30 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2012, 07:34:58 PM by Tritonio

Well honestly the Greek guy was an asshole for not returning the money in the first place. But Roger from Bitcoinstore was really lame to post his name on a forum. They both messed up.

In the end I believe that Roger is a great guy that got angry by an obviously rude and lying customer (but not a scammer) and published his details on the forum. He shouldn't have done that. Also the whole fuckignthedeadbodyofrogersmom case is ridiculous and I wonder why Roger even mentioned it and insists that's it's a threat.

EDIT:
Also The fact that roger looked into Blockchain.info's database to expose a client of his other site (bitcoinstore) feels... not right.
Although I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is immoral. But it's bad for business I think. :-)
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 07:28:30 PM

Are gold and silver coins "legal tender" in Greece?

Bitcoin.Greece

Activity: 412

Bitcoin is the Future of currency

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 08:15:28 PM

Yes

Get a VPN - Protect yourself
Bitcoin.Greece

Activity: 412

Bitcoin is the Future of currency

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 08:17:27 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2013, 08:49:59 AM by Bitcoin.Greece

Everybody can buy or sell bitcoins in Greece
www.bitcoingreece.gr

Get a VPN - Protect yourself
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 10:24:30 PM

Yes
So, could it be that in Greece the people who have money to put away would rather put it into gold coins than Bitcoins?

Tritonio

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 02:51:32 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2012, 03:35:33 PM by Tritonio

Yes

Isn't legal tender supposed to mean that if you go to any shop you can use them to buy something? If that's correct then they are not. Shop owners aren't even obliged to accept Austrian Philharmonic gold euros for their face value (not that anyone would ever use them for their face value since it's extremely low). Let alone Maples or Eagles.
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 06:01:06 PM

Yes

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect.
imanikin (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 09:32:31 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2012, 12:17:59 AM by imanikin

Isn't legal tender supposed to mean that if you go to any shop you can use them to buy something?
Yes, i think that one can use legal tender to pay for everything, including taxes, and the recipient is legally obligated to accept it.

If this Rickards is right, it really explains very well why the eurozone is still together, including Greece, and why the status quo will probably hold for the next few years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAjYSq9tn4w

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: