Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:37:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Kim Dotcom looking for suggestions on payments  (Read 10003 times)
Ferroh

Activity: 111
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:17:20 PM

I added a tweet:

https://twitter.com/FerrohDotCom/status/223042058900877314

As for other's concerns of the blockchain -- I think we should keep that out of this thread, this issue has been addressed many times. In the short term -- just dont download the blockchain. In the long term, a better solution will be implemented. For now, we can afford a few extra gigabytes on the chain, especially since the influx of bitcoin users would create plenty of incentive to implement a shorter blockchain solution faster.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 01:20:40 PM

As much as I would want this, I don't think Bitcoin is ready yet. Look at how much faster the blockchain is growing with a popular service such as SatoshiDice, which only caters towards Bitcoin users. Now imagine a giant such as MegaUpload, which caters to a much much wider audience, starts using Bitcoin. The blockchain growth would be out of control. Coming up with and implementing features to keep the blockchain growth in check should be top priority right now in my opinion.

With popularity among consumers, comes interest from new developers, perhaps even with a fresh pair of eyes, to help build our infrastructure and take their own piece of the Bitcoin pie.

aq

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:35:04 PM

As much as I would want this, I don't think Bitcoin is ready yet. Look at how much faster the blockchain is growing with a popular service such as SatoshiDice, which only caters towards Bitcoin users. Now imagine a giant such as MegaUpload, which caters to a much much wider audience, starts using Bitcoin. The blockchain growth would be out of control. Coming up with and implementing features to keep the blockchain growth in check should be top priority right now in my opinion.

Sure  Roll Eyes
Folks where up and downloading gigabytes per DAY using MegaUpload - I am pretty sure they can handle something as laughable tiny as the blockchain.
Nice try, tho

I don't think he was referring to megaupload themselves handling the blockchain, but everyone else who needs the blockchain dealing with it.  It seems that the rapidly increasing blockchain size is something of a major hurdle atm.

I was talking about the actual users. Who do you think was downloading all those HD movies of several GBs on MegaUpload?
The blockchain is smaller than one of those HD movies - dont even look at those 20GB+ BR rips.
And there are tons of web sites out there, where people watch movies in realtime, streaming it. And you really thing someone cares about a few GB?
So yes the blockchain probably is too large for the 90s - welcome to more than a decade later Wink
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:37:27 PM

He really could throw bitcoin into the mainstream if he launches bitcoin support for his new music service.
Do we already want this though?

I will leave bitcoin instantly if it becomes mainstream, I'm too hipster for that.

But can't really comment much on that, I'm having severe existential crisis because hating mainstream is nowadays too mainstream, and I can't deal with myself any more having problems like this.

mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:37:50 PM

Sure  Roll Eyes
Folks where up and downloading gigabytes per DAY using MegaUpload - I am pretty sure they can handle something as laughable tiny as the blockchain.
Nice try, tho

I don't think he was referring to megaupload themselves handling the blockchain, but everyone else who needs the blockchain dealing with it.  It seems that the rapidly increasing blockchain size is something of a major hurdle atm.

I was talking about the actual users. Who do you think was downloading all those HD movies of several GBs on MegaUpload?
The blockchain is smaller than one of those HD movies - dont even look at those 20GB+ BR rips.
And there are tons of web sites out there, where people watch movies in realtime, streaming it. And you really thing someone cares about a few GB?
So yes the blockchain probably is too large for the 90s - welcome to more than a decade later Wink

There has been a lot of discussion on the topic that I think you need to catch up on.  Do a couple searches on the forum.  

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:43:08 PM

uploaded.to already takes bitcoins... if all file sharing sites did, it would be awesome

see sig.
maybe not all, but indirectly through premiumize.me you get something between 10-20 including all the most popular ones. i got a 180-day subcription there bought for 20€ in bitcoins (5btc at the time) and even though i dont download that much its really terribly convenient to have access to pretty much everything you might come across without even having to login. filehoster access with btc is pretty much a solved problem imho.

anyways, having him on board would still be good news, even if its just for the publicity at first.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:50:02 PM

With popularity among consumers, comes interest from new developers, perhaps even with a fresh pair of eyes, to help build our infrastructure and take their own piece of the Bitcoin pie.

This.

Also those worried about Bitcoin growing too fast ... don't.  Growth which is "too fast" can't happen in a free market.  It can only happen where artificial subsidies (i.e govt, Federal Reserve, natural monopolies) prevent the free market from functioning properly to curb growth.

If bitcoin popularity outpaces the technical development (solutions for blockchain size, processing cost, wallet ease of use) then that technical deficiency will act as a constraint to slow further growth.  It also creates a huge financial incentive to build better solutions. 
aq

Activity: 238

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:52:31 PM

Sure  Roll Eyes
Nice try, tho

There has been a lot of discussion on the topic that I think you need to catch up on.  Do a couple searches on the forum.  

So if someone repeats FUD long enough it will magically turn true?
The blockchain size is only a hypothetical issue.
Even my cellphone could handle a full client for the next few years.

Back to subject, I hope the Kim realizes that when he had done MegaUpload using Bitcoins, the FBI would had a hard time freezing those.
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:54:32 PM

Back to subject, I hope the Kim realizes that when he had done MegaUpload using Bitcoins, the FBI would had a hard time freezing those.

already wrote him a mail about that...
and the nice pseudonymity features...which makes it impossible to be sure to seize ALL funds
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 01:57:42 PM

uploaded.to already takes bitcoins... if all file sharing sites did, it would be awesome

see sig.
maybe not all, but indirectly through premiumize.me you get something between 10-20 including all the most popular ones. i got a 180-day subcription there bought for 20€ in bitcoins (5btc at the time) and even though i dont download that much its really terribly convenient to have access to pretty much everything you might come across without even having to login. filehoster access with btc is pretty much a solved problem imho.

anyways, having him on board would still be good news, even if its just for the publicity at first.

Thanks! I'll check it out.
mccorvic

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:44:52 PM

Now that I think of it, I'm actually kind of surprised that someone like KimDotcom hasn't already heard of bitcoin.  You'd think that someone in his position would have come across it long ago. 

Maybe he has heard of it, but from his short tweet it sure doesn't.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:47:11 PM

Now that I think of it, I'm actually kind of surprised that someone like KimDotcom hasn't already heard of bitcoin.  You'd think that someone in his position would have come across it long ago.  

Mafia enterprises doesnt allways know about the latest technologies, if they make money they rarely look beyond the imminent problems until its too late. Just a bit of history, Capone got away with alot but eventually fell from "grace" due to not thinking properly about his accounting affairs. Wink

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
mccorvic

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:49:46 PM

Now that I think of it, I'm actually kind of surprised that someone like KimDotcom hasn't already heard of bitcoin.  You'd think that someone in his position would have come across it long ago.  

Mafia enterprises doesnt allways know about the latest technologies, if they make money they rarely look beyond the imminent problems until its too late. Just a bit of history, Capone got away with alot but eventually fell from "grace" due to not thinking properly about his accounting affairs. Wink

Good point  Grin

unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 03:08:09 PM

BTCUMP!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Ocean6

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 04:50:53 PM

OR, he is already invested heavily and ready to help run the price up for a pump and dump.

Pirate = or /= to Kim Dotcom?

Hmmmmm.........

Wink

Life is What you Make it!
nedbert9

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Inactive

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 05:10:26 PM

OR, he is already invested heavily and ready to help run the price up for a pump and dump.

Hmmmmm.........

Wink

Well, go to Las Vegas for the convention and see if Pirate is a hugely fat German guy.  My bet is that he dresses like Jack Sparrow.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 05:23:03 PM

Kim must hate the US more than anyone. Imagine if BTC/tor hidden services became the new way to pay for/access illegal downloads.

I haven't found much on TOR, but I2P is great for filesharing. TOR's best for anonymous browsing of the public web.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 05:23:50 PM

Hmmmmm.........

Wink

Kim loves playing online games and we all know Pirates dont know about this technology stuff. Wink

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
Aseras

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 05:29:57 PM

Until bitcoin gets very big the problem is cashing it out to fiat. Thats the point of failure and as such the government can just seize it there, or tax it or whatever.

Small time, it's easy to use for whatever.

To depend on it for sizeable income or for a large business would kill you.
Realpra

Activity: 815

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 05:56:37 PM

I haven't found much on TOR, but I2P is great for filesharing. TOR's best for anonymous browsing of the public web.
Don't know how much protection they need, but with TOR they could operate like SR... although likely only for torrents..

Perhaps just saving funds as BTC and switching servers now and then would be enough.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: