Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:55:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XRP ( RIPPLE ) Discussion - All about XRP  (Read 6701 times)
mihtju (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 05:58:14 PM

XRP ( RIPPLE ) Discussion - All about XRP

What do you think guys about RIPPLE, are they good for long term investment?
And about XRP(BTC) to BTC, how fast and where I can exchange XRP to BTC instantly?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 06:29:18 PM

I dont like anything that isn't Bitcoin for long term, maybe add in very experimental decentralization projects such as MaidSafe. Other than that I have no idea about Ripple, it doesnt seem specially interesting to me.
ronald98

Activity: 314
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 07:14:38 PM

Ripple has its own distributed exchange inside its wallet. You can exchange XRP to BTC instantly on the exchange inside the ripple wallet. Click trade, then advanced to see it inside the wallet.
Ingramtg
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 07:25:40 PM

ripple still have large amount not distributed

i am waiting their next stage  Cheesy
mihtju (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 07:33:21 PM

Yes I think the same, the marketcap is already huge so I think its worth to hold some 5-10BTC in XRP as long time investment. What do you think, is it worth to do it? While the price is 0.015$ ?

AvaiSc

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 17, 2015, 08:01:33 PM

Yes I think the same, the marketcap is already huge so I think its worth to hold some 5-10BTC in XRP as long time investment. What do you think, is it worth to do it? While the price is 0.015$ ?

its very worth
i allready spend my 30BTC
just GO and HLOD
sure you will smile when price explode Smiley
mihtju (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 11:40:04 AM

Thank you for your opinion. Lets see how market will goes in future, anyway I hope that XRP will increase in value stable in long term.

Alot of people dream about a value of 1$. If xrp makes a bubble like bitcoin did we could expect an even higher value. But Ripple is different than bitcoin. I think can not compare ripple with bitcoin. In Ripple People dont have to invest so much money in mining equipment and energy to get xrp. Xrp is just here and ripplelabs gives them away for FREE. they hold back a big amount of xrp to sell.... there are much different factors. I also hope it goes to 1$ but I think its very unlikely. Maybe 0.1$ is more realistic

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 02:52:12 PM

And about XRP(BTC) to BTC, how fast and where I can exchange XRP to BTC instantly?

BTC are distributed by math. XRP are distributed by 3 guys at their whim. XRP could still be a good long term investment, but I wouldn't bet on it.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=873723.msg9661686#msg9661686

mihtju (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 03:20:01 PM

BTC are distributed by math. XRP are distributed by 3 guys at their whim. XRP could still be a good long term investment, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Yes, I think you are true, its dont allow to feel safe if distributors of XRP holds such big part of issued XRPs :/ Anyway, its all more or lest just a game, so anyway I will invest what I can afford to loose and lets see what will happen with my 5-10k$ investment after a year Smiley Hope for the best.

hypostatization

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 04:20:50 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2015, 04:37:57 PM by hypostatization

In your post you state that 90% of XRP are controlled by 3 guys; this is inaccurate. A majority of XRP (69%) is held by Ripple Labs.

XRP distributed to Chris Larsen, Arthur Britto, and Jed have all taken different paths. Chris Larsen has apparently used a majority of his XRP to finance the Ripple Foundation for Financial Innovation. XRP of Arthur Britto are controlled by a lock-up agreement, and Jed is restricted in the quantities of XRP he can sell over the next 6 - 7 years.

Concerns regarding the potential impact of the founder distributions were proven valid, however, when Jed apparently flipped out and threatened a fire sale. He had allegedly attempted to force Ripple Labs into a buyout agreement of his share, and then proceeded to announce to the community the beginning of the sale of his XRP---in tandem with promoting his new project. He then walled himself off from communication, ignoring repeat community questions and concerns and putting the people that trusted and supported him at enormous financial risk. XRP value cratered, and remained depressed for a long long long time. It has since recovered, following the more recent founder developments noted above---as well as the steady stream of good news for the Ripple network. I agree with your concerns, but believe the Ripple network has now moved beyond them.

A key takeaway for me has been that we cannot assume any actor will not act against what the community perceives as being in that actor's best interest. It applies to all cryptocurrencies.

I had previously heard a lot of arguments along the lines of Satoshi would never dump his BTC; it would kill the BTC exchange value therefore conflict with his or her best interest. Motivations beyond profit may exist, ranging from an unsound mind, having an axe to grind, promoting a competing project, immaturity, or even just pure destructive glee. If Satoshi Yakamoto had a stroke, would you still trust in that individual's reasoning relating to the best uses of their share? Ability to securely manage their private keys? Not become vulnerable to manipulation?

Legal agreements do not eliminate the risks, but they can be interpreted to mitigate risk for investors. I take comfort in knowing Ripple Labs, its board, and investors provide checks and balances over the distribution of XRP---as well as the more recent founder allocation developments.

I hold XRP as a long term investment, and do not recommend anyone in invest in any cryptocurrency without performing thorough research.

If you ride the wake of the pump and dump crowd, then you have a high likelihood of being disappointed by the Ripple Labs stewardship of XRP. Ripple Labs is not interested in driving short term speculation, and take a long long long view (relative to cryptocurrency community expectations) of building the value of XRP.

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:12:22 PM

Yes, I think you are true, its dont allow to feel safe if distributors of XRP holds such big part of issued XRPs :/ Anyway, its all more or lest just a game, so anyway I will invest what I can afford to loose and lets see what will happen with my 5-10k$ investment after a year Smiley Hope for the best.

One other thing to keep in mind:

Ripple is focused on banking infrastructure, not end user products. One danger in this approach is that banks like to create consortiums for the products that they rely upon in common. It's entirely conceivable that a number of bulge bracket or central banks could adopt the Ripple protocol, for their own version, run their consensus nodes over a private intranet/VPN, and obviously, use their own token.

TLDR; banks could adopt the technology and yet make XRPs relatively worthless.

canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:26:08 PM

In your post you state that 90% of XRP are controlled by 3 guys; this is inaccurate. A majority of XRP (69%) is held by Ripple Labs.

While I'm not familiar with the corporate structure, I have no reason to believe that as CEO, Chris Larsen is not firmly in control of Ripple Labs and that any and all decisions about how to distribute the 69% XRP mentioned go through him.

When you add that to the XRP controlled by Larsen, Britto and Caleb personally you get around 90%. While they have committed to restricting the quantities that they can sell and in theory Larsen has committed to giving his away to charity, I remain quite skeptical that these agreements are locked in stone. I stand behind my statement - 3 people control 90% of XRP and you have to trust them. The same cannot be said for BTC where satoshi possibly controls as much as 7% today (1m out of 13.7m) 4.7% long term (1m out of 21m).

mihtju (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 05:56:04 PM

XRP distributed to Chris Larsen, Arthur Britto, and Jed have all taken different paths. Chris Larsen has apparently used a majority of his XRP to finance the Ripple Foundation for Financial Innovation. XRP of Arthur Britto are controlled by a lock-up agreement, and Jed is restricted in the quantities of XRP he can sell over the next 6 - 7 years.

Concerns regarding the potential impact of the founder distributions were proven valid, however, when Jed apparently flipped out and threatened a fire sale. He had allegedly attempted to force Ripple Labs into a buyout agreement of his share, and then proceeded to announce to the community the beginning of the sale of his XRP---in tandem with promoting his new project. He then walled himself off from communication, ignoring repeat community questions and concerns and putting the people that trusted and supported him at enormous financial risk. XRP value cratered, and remained depressed for a long long long time. It has since recovered, following the more recent founder developments noted above---as well as the steady stream of good news for the Ripple network. I agree with your concerns, but believe the Ripple network has now moved beyond them.

A key takeaway for me has been that we cannot assume any actor will not act against what the community perceives as being in that actor's best interest. It applies to all cryptocurrencies.

I had previously heard a lot of arguments along the lines of Satoshi would never dump his BTC; it would kill the BTC exchange value therefore conflict with his or her best interest. Motivations beyond profit may exist, ranging from an unsound mind, having an axe to grind, promoting a competing project, immaturity, or even just pure destructive glee. If Satoshi Yakamoto had a stroke, would you still trust in that individual's reasoning relating to the best uses of their share? Ability to securely manage their private keys? Not become vulnerable to manipulation?

Legal agreements do not eliminate the risks, but they can be interpreted to mitigate risk for investors. I take comfort in knowing Ripple Labs, its board, and investors provide checks and balances over the distribution of XRP---as well as the more recent founder allocation developments.

I hold XRP as a long term investment, and do not recommend anyone in invest in any cryptocurrency without performing thorough research.

If you ride the wake of the pump and dump crowd, then you have a high likelihood of being disappointed by the Ripple Labs stewardship of XRP. Ripple Labs is not interested in driving short term speculation, and take a long long long view (relative to cryptocurrency community expectations) of building the value of XRP.

Thank you for your nice reply. Hope that my idea about long-term investment and holding XRP will get me to profit not total loss Smiley

Eamorr

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:32:14 PM

I keep an eye on the XRP market cap.

It's increasing nice and linearly each day.

Most promising, for me, is the market cap of XRP relative to BTC. Currently it's about 1/5th or 1/6th the size of Bitcoin.

Interestingly, XRP is showing good price resilience compared to the price of Bitcoin (which has been going down a lot these last few weeks).

I have given up on Bitcoin (almost entirely). I only use Bitcoin now to buy XRP. I'm holding a good bit of XRP. Still cautious though. Watching developments very closely. One big deal could see a price explosion.
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:44:06 PM

Most promising, for me, is the market cap of XRP relative to BTC. Currently it's about 1/5th or 1/6th the size of Bitcoin.

The market cap of ripple relative to BTC is currently more than 1/2, certainly not 1/5th or 1/6th https://www.ripplecharts.com/

Eamorr

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:45:00 PM

The market cap of ripple relative to BTC is currently more than 1/2, certainly not 1/5th or 1/6th https://www.ripplecharts.com/

I keep a close eye on http://coinmarketcap.com/ every day
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:10:19 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2015, 07:25:14 PM by Anotheranonlol

Auroracoin & Paycoin are testament to the disingenuity of such an approach.  Real ripple market cap, as said is more than half that of btc, or mastercard at IPO.

Coinmarketcap does not show ripples true market cap (like XRP disbursed in business relations, to partners, Sweetheart deals etc. It just shows the amount not privately held by the for-profit corporation, that you have the potential to buy ..like from those who haven't already nearly given their free stakes (& sockpuppet stakes) away long ago because they can't figure out the clunky trust IOU models work.

XRP is not useful as more than anti-spam bridge currency, it's not equity in ripple labs.. certainly even huge institutions have no need for more than a modest amount, let alone home traders. Perhaps one of it's saving graces is that it can't be frozen or seized like your fiat funds in Ripple could. Which is the real value in ripple network, a quasi-decentralized value transmit network. It has the ability to innovate legacy systems,  it gets hype in fintech circles that bitcoin will never get because it panders to different purpose, and is fit for different mindset ..

Your only hope is that almost no-one else realises this and also continues to rely on coinmarketcap, finally migrating en masse from what they deem is a btc sinking ship should ripple ever surpass 50% dollar denominated market cap relative to btc on there (by which time it's already long since surpassed it completely)

canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:46:46 PM

Auroracoin & Paycoin are testament to the disingenuity of such an approach.  Real ripple market cap, as said is more than half that of btc, or mastercard at IPO.

Coinmarketcap does not show ripples true market cap (like XRP disbursed in business relations, to partners, Sweetheart deals etc. It just shows the amount not privately held by the for-profit corporation, that you have the potential to buy ..like from those who haven't already nearly given their free stakes (& sockpuppet stakes) away long ago because they can't figure out the clunky trust IOU models work.

<snip>

Indeed - the real market cap is much less than what coinmarketcap shows which is just the total 100Bn XRP - the 69% that Ripple Labs holds. If Larsen, Britto and McCaleb were to sell their XRP into the market, then the price would plummet. The true market cap is more like $160m or 1/3 of that currently showing on coinmarketcap.

Eamorr

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:52:30 PM

<snip>

Indeed - the real market cap is much less than what coinmarketcap shows which is just the total 100Bn XRP - the 69% that Ripple Labs holds. If Larsen, Britto and McCaleb were to sell their XRP into the market, then the price would plummet. The true market cap is more like $160m or 1/3 of that currently showing on coinmarketcap.

Even if your claim were true, Ripple would still be the 2nd largest crypto-currency and the fastest growing.
hypostatization

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 07:53:59 PM

XRP is not useful as more than anti-spam bridge currency, it's not equity in ripple labs.. certainly even huge institutions have no need for more than a modest amount, let alone home traders. Perhaps one of it's saving graces is that it can't be frozen or seized like your fiat funds in Ripple could. Which is the real value in ripple network, a quasi-decentralized value transmit network. It has the ability to innovate legacy systems,  it gets hype in fintech circles that bitcoin will never get because it panders to different purpose, and is fit for different mindset ..

Your only hope is that almost no-one else realises this and also continues to rely on coinmarketcap, finally migrating en masse from what they deem is a btc sinking ship should ripple ever surpass 50% dollar denominated market cap relative to btc on there (by which time it's already long since surpassed it completely)

I agree that coinmarketcap.com is weak. I am most interested in the Total Network Value metric on ripplecharts.com, for long term network growth perspective. It reflects not only the value of XRP, but also the total value of assets traded on the network. I am not focused on short term speculation, however, so it may be a less useful metric for others.

I disagree that the breadth of XRP utility limits its potential exchange value. XRP can be used to make payments directly, the same as with any cryptocurrency. Everything else is in addition. If Bitcoin added multi-currency support---requiring the usage of BTC for that functionality---I would consider that a plus in support of BTC's future potential exchange value. In no way does XRP providing that utility guarantee the price will rise, but it does introduce additional future potential justification for a rise in exchange value.

xrptalk.org :: setup a wallet + trade all currencies :: gateway reviews @ coinist.co :: deposit to buy xrp @ snapswap [now supporting PayPal withdrawls + instant ACH transfer deposits]
CrossCoin Ventures startup accelerator - offering XRP funding up to $50,000 USD equivalent
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: