Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 07:05:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Modify S5 Antminer to watercooling  (Read 15727 times)
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 09:44:35 AM

We can assemble it by our selves, but  will the final price be worth it?!?!?!

Waiting for bitmain to post prices on the kit(4blades, 1controler&bbb board and the rest)
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 01:09:04 PM

The problem with kits is they require more work than miners! A full miner has to be built [heatsinks, case, fan etc] to quality test the hashing boards - the same as a normal unit. But they then have to be disassembled and cleaned in order to be sold as board only kits. That's time consuming = more expensive / not as cost efficient as one might imagine.
That's one way of doing it, but it's pretty inefficient.
Building a test jig to cycle through boards would be relatively trivial and quite cheap though. For something like the S5 boards you just need a flat heatsink on the bottom with some pin guides to align the boards. Slide the board in, attach a PCIe connector and the data cable, and push a button. A small air piston pushes the top plate down which provides pressure to the back of each chip, barcode scanner logs the serial number and the attached controller runs a known test data set that allows you to characterize and record the true error rate.

Test jigs are pretty standard in electronics manufacturing, and something simple like this that doesn't require fancy network connected instruments could be made for a few hundred bucks each if you build a dozen or so. Build twenty and a few workers could pump out 1000 boards in a 12 hour shift.
IITravel01

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 04:51:14 PM

Hopefully they'll offer a kit with the big radiator also, as that would require less chance of leaks and less setup than using 2 or 4 smaller radiators, plus in warm locations I don't see how 2 of those little radiators are going to help remove 2400w of heat.
syscooling (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 01:30:21 AM

We can assemble it by our selves, but  will the final price be worth it?!?!?!

Waiting for bitmain to post prices on the kit(4blades, 1controler&bbb board and the rest)
We set the price after comparing.It will save you money,whether you bought air-cooled S5 or complete water-cooled S5.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
syscooling (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 01:37:20 AM

Hopefully they'll offer a kit with the big radiator also, as that would require less chance of leaks and less setup than using 2 or 4 smaller radiators, plus in warm locations I don't see how 2 of those little radiators are going to help remove 2400w of heat.
Two radiators that SC-BC1 watercooling kit includes are enough with each radiator installed 6 fans.SC-BC2 kit uses a big radiator,and noise is a little bigger,if you don't mind you could choose this kit.

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                       Get Your FREE Coins NOW!     
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
IITravel01

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 02:12:20 AM

Would it be possible to add waterblocks to the current S5 case?  Are the attachment points the same?  If I just removed the rear fan, could I just add waterblocks to the boards?  Knowing I have to disassemble all, but could it fit and keep the controller card on the top?
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:41:59 AM

If I just removed the rear fan

You will still need a fan with water cooling. A quieter one hopefully.
IITravel01

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 06:32:49 AM

Oops, forgot it only comes with a front fan, was mixing it up with the S3 in front of me.  So, will the water blocks fit with the screws that hold them in place on the S5?
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 11:13:51 AM

Would it be possible to add waterblocks to the current S5 case?  Are the attachment points the same?  If I just removed the rear fan, could I just add waterblocks to the boards?  Knowing I have to disassemble all, but could it fit and keep the controller card on the top?

No. Because there is no housing. There are only two pieces of plastic and the two ends, exactly the same as in S3
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:45:47 PM

Will bitmain do some ??  Grin

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
aclass

Activity: 381
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:02:19 PM

So one needs both things below:
http://shop.syscooling.com/goods.php?id=51

and

http://shop.syscooling.com/goods.php?id=45

in order to get the whole system going.
IITravel01

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 03:30:01 PM

and

You need two of the radiator kits, or one of the large kit.  But, the case doesn't seem to list the needed extra length cables yet.
aclass

Activity: 381
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:09:30 PM

back in the thread it said you need 6 fans instead of 3 with the small radiator

and

You need two of the radiator kits, or one of the large kit.  But, the case doesn't seem to list the needed extra length cables yet.
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:46:25 PM

How much are the S5 hashing boards and how do you go about ordering?
IITravel01

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:47:11 PM

back in the thread it said you need 6 fans instead of 3 with the small radiator

and

You need two of the radiator kits, or one of the large kit.  But, the case doesn't seem to list the needed extra length cables yet.

That's right, the kit will need 3 extra fans per radiator.  Also, there was mention about screws and springs also.  I wonder if you buy the boards, maybe the cables, screws and springs are included from Bitmaiin?
IITravel01

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 04:48:02 PM

How much are the S5 hashing boards and how do you go about ordering?

Don't forget the 2 controller cards also.
AbuGarcia

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 05:58:38 PM

I costed shipping for two units without rads, and it came out to $437US with paypal.  No bitcoin?
wayyy to expensive.
syscooling (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:46:58 AM

Oops, forgot it only comes with a front fan, was mixing it up with the S3 in front of me.  So, will the water blocks fit with the screws that hold them in place on the S5?
Air-cooled S5 doesn't have screw holes to hold waterblocks.

syscooling (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:48:04 AM

Will bitmain do some ??  Grin
I don't think so,but you could ask Dogie.

syscooling (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 01:50:44 AM

and

You could purchase appropriate cable from Bitmain,8cm*2,and 16cm*6.Don't forget purchase 3 more fans for each radiator. Wink

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: