Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:15:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Modify S5 Antminer to watercooling  (Read 15730 times)
warrmr

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 05:49:07 PM

why did you de-ariation cycle, (pump timed to run for 30s on and 30s off for 8 hours) ?

Is this how it should be done ? Sorry for the stupid question, is my first watercooling project.

There are lots of ways to skin a fish but this is the way I chose as the pump I have has a de-ariatioon cycle built into it. Most people with PC watercooling will generally try to bleed the loop by running the pump for a period of time and then shutting it down and rocking the case. Stopping the pump causes the smaller bubbles to clump together and form a larger bubble that is easier to push through the system.

Is the problem that the heatsink cant handle 2 boards on it? If you use only 1 board on each heatsink would it make it work ?

No but that would solve the problem, the two boards that are closest to the centre of the fan gets the most airflow hence the temps are less of a problem, the outer ones don't get enough airflow to keep the temp sensor cool enough.

EDIT: Sorry I read your post again..... so the heatsink is cool.... its just the sensor that actualy reporting false temp making it to shutdown?

Thats what I think it is because I'm pretty sure there is no air left in the system but will keep an eye on things for the next couple of days, also without the fans running the temp skyrockets on both boards to 80c and then shuts down.

I will report back in a couple of days after adding the ramsinks to the temp sensors.

nokati

Activity: 312
Merit: 111

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2015, 07:28:55 AM

any progres?

warrmr

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 17, 2015, 06:00:24 PM

any progres?

Yes the ramsyncs I purchased to put on the temp chip took the temp down from 70-80 c to 55-60c (its in an enclosed cabinet with fans pulling air out of the top.) Unfortunately that was short lived as the Western Power were doing something nearby and we had 3 power surges/brownouts within an hour and it has killed one of my hashing boards.
numnutz2009

Activity: 387
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 11:03:14 PM

any progres?

Yes the ramsyncs I purchased to put on the temp chip took the temp down from 70-80 c to 55-60c (its in an enclosed cabinet with fans pulling air out of the top.) Unfortunately that was short lived as the Western Power were doing something nearby and we had 3 power surges/brownouts within an hour and it has killed one of my hashing boards.

Lol not to sound rude but somethin about this sounds bad...ur gonna trick the miner into believing its running cooler then it actually is and u expect it to not die from the added stress of mining at a much higher temp?? Heat kills miners and i have seen this post multiple times when googling so i figured i should reply now since i have read it too many times now....if the temp sensor is faulty then u should replace it or shoot bitmain an email but dont run it with a heatsink faking the temp readings just so u can mine again....theres a reason that auto shutoff is set at 80 degrees...even if it doesnt actually work properly the temp is still listed so rethink where ur mining and i wouldnt sugest doin this to other miners. It might be y ur board died not surges. Sure its posible but it could have just crapped out after being run under stress for too long.

On a side note i got the huge rad kit and s5 kit syscooling sells. It cost me almost $500 and the company is a pack of liars for sure. They told me it was shipped after i had to ask and threaten multiple times to get some sort of update after mot hearing anything about my order. They said it was shipped and they will give me the tracking info later that day and 4 days later i still had no tracking so i emailed twice and finally got a reply with tracking and sure enough the label was just printed right before he replied so i was told it shipped and waited a week only to find out it wasnt shipped at all which explains y i was being ignored for 5 days before actually getting the number. How is that legit?? But whatever onto the rest.

I email them explaining my issue and they kept blaming the currier for this problem but fedex clearly said when the label was printed....its one thing to blame them after it was shipped but fedex doesnt pickup packages before printing labels and hold onto items for a week before buying the postage....and if they do its on them to verify that doesnt happen which they didnt do.

So i finally got the first kit which was the radiator and it was warped and bent. The fins were fine and it doesnt leak but it wasnt square at all. Also u cant mount fans on the back side like they say u can. Maybe im as dumb as a box of rocks but how is 1 leg for something so large stable?? They only give 1 leg to go onto one side of the radiator. 2 legs would be good and even better would be 4 legs so its a larger stable base to keep it from tipping over. Instead i have to find the sweet spot by sliding the leg up and down to tilt it forward or backwards to balance it and stop it from tipping over and even then its not stable. Its not a huge budget part either so y they went all jew on something so simple is beyond me.

The second box arrived 2 days later with the s5 kit. Immediately i noticed the case was poorly cut. It wasnt due to shipping it was due to their production processes and lack of quality control checks. The case was the biggest issue. If they got damaged during shipping the outside would be dented inwards....instead the case had dents that were facing outwards meaning they were there before the package was even sealed. I had to use body hammers to flatten it back out because the case didnt line up at all. The grill slots were bent as well and i had to spend about 2 hours pounding away to fix all this bullshit. I was pissed but luckily i was too tired to complain since i did this after i had gotten off work so i was ballz tired by the time i finished.

They gave plenty of tubing and shrink tubing which was nice. They also gave extra ribon cable which was another bonus even though i had my own already.

The next issues were with the waterblocks. 1 the waterblocks have 2 holes each that dont allow screws to go into them. They can start screwing in but not as far as they should so the spring sits losely on the top instead of providing the tension needed to push the board down onto the blocks. Ik this is a defect in the manufacturing because each block has this issue with the same 2 holes! Luckily i have taps and dies so i tapped out the 2 holes correcting their screwups. The second issue is the barbs on the blocks....they are too effin big! I had to heat and stretch the tubing a bit just to get it to slide over the barbs and even with that stretching it was hard as shit! I have blisters on my fingers from me trying to get it over the barbs. I had to take a tiny bit of oils to lube he bab up too. Not alot by ne means. Even with the tiny drop i spread around with my finger it tooks a ton of preasure just to get the tube over the initial barb. They should have tapped g1/4 holes in the blocks instead of adding barbs themselves. If they had tapped the holes the barbs would have been smooth like the chrome ones they provide and sliding tubing on those isnt easy but its night and day compaired to the blocks barbs. It should be tight ik that but this is too fricken tight. I shouldnt have blisters. This isnt my first water cooling setup either so please dont "noob" me lol.

Also on a side note i learned botmain chaged their controller card design. Luckily i had 4 of the same type but i found out 1 version has a 18 pin connector and one has a 16 pin connector. One controller is v1.3 and the other is v1.4. The 1.4 one has 2 extra pins so i had to take 1 miner off the block and replace it with the 5th miner i had because i had 3x v1.3 s5's and the 4th had a v1.4 board but i didnt notice the difference until it was already setup. And extending the cables was a pain in the ass for sure. Only 2 of the cables had to be extended so 1 per controller not including 1 4 pin connector since the other 4 pin connector was long enough because the controller plug was facing the right way but only on that side but extending the cables too me about an hour each so before i said bitmain mass ordered cables...i think i can change that now because they clearly changed from 18 pin connectors to 16 pin connectors so they should be able to sell longer cables to people like me instead of us having to extend them ourselves which is a painnnnnn!

These china based companies r pissin me off lately. For the money im payin i expect more from them but they r just gettin worse.

hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2015, 09:26:37 PM

These china based companies r pissin me off lately. For the money im payin i expect more from them but they r just gettin worse.

So are there any decent open-source PCB layouts for a BM1384 chip? What if we made a decent design and had it fabricated and built *in the US* from a manufacturer that actually does quality control?

I could see a market for a high-density water-cooled system (maybe including a heat pump) that can do something like hook up to a water heater
santom1977

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 05:21:53 PM

Hi guys, I am reading this and I really would like to know more. I have two Antminer S5 that I would like to have 1 miner with 4 blades using the water cooling system.

In your vision, what are the benefits to use Water cooling system?

Thanks Marco
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 06:41:52 PM

Hi guys, I am reading this and I really would like to know more. I have two Antminer S5 that I would like to have 1 miner with 4 blades using the water cooling system.

Thanks Marco

No benefits today.
S5 is history with prize today 0.321 BTC from S5
in hashnest https://www.hashnest.com/hash_currencies/24/trade_markets/19
santom1977

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 06:46:11 PM

Not even with energy?

What about an S7?

Thanks Marco
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 06:55:15 PM

Only benefit is quiet 2,3 TH/s miner.
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 07:21:48 PM

and you can do this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1120213.msg11865878
or dump the heat in the central heating system!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 09:36:19 PM

Only benefit is quiet 2,3 TH/s miner.

It does make it quiet but instead of going with water cooling S5 go with Avalon 4.1's.  If you need quiet they will do it with no modifications.  

Watercooling sounds great but I can say it truly is a pain to mess with compared to normal fan's.  Listen to videos of 4.1's they are about the most quiet stock miners with just underclocking. At least that I have used (I'm talking full miners like Dragon 1T or newer, not including stick miners).
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 11:08:47 PM

if someone is interested, i got 2 ''c2'' for sale!

one with 4 blades, 2.3th; and another one with 1blade/1waterblock 1150gh as a normal s5 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: