Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:22:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BurtW arrested (update: charges dropped!)  (Read 74654 times)
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
April 14, 2015, 09:05:21 AM

Yea the site look shady. Site might be fake.

Wikipedia links to it.

Nevermind, the point is not to direct more attention to the few messengers, rather make people who are capable (and most are not) to question this with the old question: "Is it true?"

"Is it true?" and you cite david duke - a holocaust denier?  Bit of a paradox. Unless you are saying that it didnt occur?   Huh Huh

I believe in questioning authority, but you need to do it in an intelligent and measured way. Citing extremists will just get you pegged as one.

I will repeatedly ask you to concentrate on the truth, and that alone. Concentrating on people makes you vulnerable to the manipulation by media, and you will end up very confused. Of course all they do is to manipulate the truth as well, but it does not take much to see through it, and once you expose a few lies, you are not prone to believe anything else from that bunch anymore.

People are more complex. They have different opinions and lifestyles, and the controllers love to distort the public images of messengers.

If I am labeled "extremist" the problem resides wholly on the receiver side's poor understanding of history. As recently as 100 years ago it would have been inconceivable that United States tortured and raped worldwide, and confiscated citizens' property at gunpoint for the reason that it could be 'equitably shared', in plain English: domestic terror and looting under the color of law.

As recently as 100 years ago anyone supporting and propagating such actions would probably have been lynched after capture.

Now a person who rejects and utterly disdains such practices, is called 'extremist', driven out of the country, webpages censored.

H E L L O   W O R L D ,   W H O   I S   T H E   E X T R E M I S T   H E R E  ?

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gwern

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2015, 11:15:51 PM

Is that normal? What are they protecting/hiding?

It's a little unusual. Not hugely unusual in the black-market cases I've looked at. It's routine for stuff to be sealed indefinitely and when they're unsealed, often they're boring procedural stuff with only the barest summary of the facts. For example, there was a recent OD in North Dakota linked to an Evolution buyer which resulted in the sellers also being arrested, which make up 3 or 4 different cases in PACER, and while many of the filings are sealed, there are enough unsealed complaints or plea agreements that in conjunction with news articles you can figure out most of what went on; on the other hand, there are sealed documents which turn out to be mind-blowing, like in the Ulbricht trial where we noted some interesting-sounding sealed documents filed in advance of the trial and which turned out to be about the DEA corruption/embezzlement scandal; and more usually in cases where there's informants or undercover agents, nothing gets released or the case itself is sealed/hidden - eg for the former, the digitalink case began ~Jan 2012 and he cooperated somehow and despite everyone starting to serve their sentences all the key filings are *still* sealed, while for the latter, we know from mentions elsewhere that there exist cases regarding 'dripsofacid', 'moveitnice', 'alllove', 5 NZ arrests, 'TrustusJones', 'Aspire28', Scout/'cirrus', 3 UK arrests for SR1, 6 for SR2, 'Dark_Mart' etc etc, but we know nothing about them and probably never will.

In this case, the consistency of the sealing suggests that something interesting could be in them and the prosecutors are taking pains to make sure no hints leak. Or not.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 02:24:11 AM

Is that normal? What are they protecting/hiding?

It's a little unusual. Not hugely unusual in the black-market cases I've looked at. It's routine for stuff to be sealed indefinitely and when they're unsealed, often they're boring procedural stuff with only the barest summary of the facts. For example, there was a recent OD in North Dakota linked to an Evolution buyer which resulted in the sellers also being arrested, which make up 3 or 4 different cases in PACER, and while many of the filings are sealed, there are enough unsealed complaints or plea agreements that in conjunction with news articles you can figure out most of what went on; on the other hand, there are sealed documents which turn out to be mind-blowing, like in the Ulbricht trial where we noted some interesting-sounding sealed documents filed in advance of the trial and which turned out to be about the DEA corruption/embezzlement scandal; and more usually in cases where there's informants or undercover agents, nothing gets released or the case itself is sealed/hidden - eg for the former, the digitalink case began ~Jan 2012 and he cooperated somehow and despite everyone starting to serve their sentences all the key filings are *still* sealed, while for the latter, we know from mentions elsewhere that there exist cases regarding 'dripsofacid', 'moveitnice', 'alllove', 5 NZ arrests, 'TrustusJones', 'Aspire28', Scout/'cirrus', 3 UK arrests for SR1, 6 for SR2, 'Dark_Mart' etc etc, but we know nothing about them and probably never will.

In this case, the consistency of the sealing suggests that something interesting could be in them and the prosecutors are taking pains to make sure no hints leak. Or not.

We'll know eventually. That stuff always leaks out. Usually, by the time its leaked no one cares.

Cruxer

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
April 15, 2015, 03:05:23 AM

OMG! BurtW was a great guy and very active here. I believe he mostly did cash transactions, I hope this isn't another one of those localbitcoins "stings".

A link to his profile here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=14808

We need to help him.
Thats sad, when member of our community get into trouble :/
I wish him best, little we can do im afraid
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 18, 2015, 03:02:18 AM

I, for one, would like to see/hear Theymos come back on this thread and say his piece for what bitcoin has to offer and what his take on the future is like, price-wise. You owe it to us, T.
anderson00673

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 06:31:58 PM

You have a chance in the court to get your assets back, according to the article

Ironic. When Finnish Customs confiscated all my assets (mainly gold and silver back in 2008), I was so accustomed to my friends' stories from the states, that I was sure I would not get them back. The still ongoing Liberty Dollar seizure and theft was a recent example.

I got all back.

Levelheaded analysis is required whether there is an actual chance to get the stuff back. Most Internet commentators do not really know the details so much that their opinion should be valued, me included.

Fighting for your stolen property also distracts you, so if there is a higher goal in your life, one option is to strategically ignore them. That's what I do when I don't file for tax returns, in effect paying the taxman more than even they think is needed. I have more important goals in my life, and my past decisions have reduced the taxes to quite manageable level.

As Christians, you might appreciate the history how an unjust treatment may become a financial blessing. I hardly had €100k in assets at the time when they were confiscated. God turned the publicity of this harsh treatment to a success to my business, and I made it to millionaire ranks in the following 2 years. (Joseph story in the Bible is a more striking example of course.. I feel more like Jacob who became Israel through a lifelong process)

Yeah, but that doesn't happen in this country. Our government just bailed out a bunch of wealthy auto manufacturers and big banks. Someone has to pay for it and Burt won the federal gimme your money lottery.

Oh, this country isn't really Christian. We call ourselves that because it makes us feel better. We worship money and pray to God. We incarcerate more of our citizens than any other nation in the world. We have no problem with them living like dogs in overcrowded prisons, ass raping each other and eating food the good christian citizens wouldn't feed their dogs. Our military drones kill people around the world without a trial even if their are noncombatant women and children in the house too. Our soldiers brutalize other countries raping their women and forcing the men to pile up naked for our amusement. The good christian citizens of this great nation, pound for pound, purchase more illegal narcotics than any other three nations combined. We have a higher volume of rape and abortion than we good Christians like to admit publicly. We have more pedophiles than any other developed nation. Finally, we are the only nation in the world that has ever used nuclear weapons to destroy entire cities of men, women and children. Does that sound like a Christian country? Oh, wait a minute, Christians have been evil throughout history, so I guess it does!

Bravo sir, you have stated exactly what I mean when I say things like "of course i pay my taxes, how else are ew going to blow up all those brown people?"  It makes me sick and I am glad that I am not the only one who is not stuck in an American suburban bliss.
JeanW

Activity: 26
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:33:07 AM

On July 13, 2015, the federal case against Burt was dismissed at the request of the Department of Justice.  Unfortunately the debt incurred to fight the spurious charge and the damage done to Burt's reputation remains.  Thank you to those who have supported our family during this difficult time.  
-- Jean
www.jmwagner.com and www.burtw.com
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 05:37:09 AM

On July 13, 2015, the federal case against Burt was dismissed at the request of the Department of Justice.  Unfortunately the debt incurred to fight the spurious charge and the damage done to Burt's reputation remains.  Thank you to those who have supported our family during this difficult time.  
-- Jean

Amazing, 26 hours after you posted, I'm the first to reply with... Great to hear about the case being dropped.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 06:00:06 AM

Congratulations.

You still have to pay your own legal fees even if found not guilty? That's... medieval.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 06:06:13 AM

Congratulations.

You still have to pay your own legal fees even if found not guilty? That's... medieval.

i think a public defender is still free .......usually some useless wimp that will agree with the prosocution case
 and recommend you take the plea bargain

if you want a top notch lawyer that will fight your case tooth and nail  and spend days doing research ,i think that
 comes out of your own pocket which is kinda shit if you cant afford decent legal represantation
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 06:16:08 AM

On July 13, 2015, the federal case against Burt was dismissed at the request of the Department of Justice.  Unfortunately the debt incurred to fight the spurious charge and the damage done to Burt's reputation remains.  Thank you to those who have supported our family during this difficult time. 
-- Jean

That it great news! Although it is unfortunate that you need to pay for his defense, it is only money, and importantly you still have what is important....Burt. This isn't saying that I think it is appropriate that you need to pay for your own legal fees/costs. Trying to recover that from the government (if appropriate) can be dealt with later.

If it means anything, I would argue that Burt still has an upstanding reputation here.
elvizzzzzzz

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 07:27:23 AM

"at the request of the Department of Justice."

That sounds strange. I am glad to hear that at least this part of the damage is over,
and to see some signs of sanity in your Justice system.

I recall that there seemed to be some sort of gag order in place, JaneW.
Are you now free to talk about these events?
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 10:32:05 AM

Great news!
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 10:33:23 AM

congrats. must feel good. enjoy.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 11:28:22 AM

-- Jean

I'm so glad our big tough bully government is protecting us from menacing Sunday school teachers and engineers. What a joke this country has become. From the once proud champion of WWII to a scared little pussy in only 50 years. I'm so glad my fathers dead. I would hate for him to see the free country he loved and fought for become a complete totalitarian nightmare. I'm happy Burt escaped the gestapo but still saddened that you had to endure that misery. It's especially unfortunate that your child had to witness the governments cruelty firsthand. Best of luck rebuilding your life. God help us all.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
July 15, 2015, 12:49:43 PM

Congratulations.

i think a public defender is still free .......usually some useless wimp that will agree with the prosocution case
 and recommend you take the plea bargain

if you want a top notch lawyer that will fight your case tooth and nail  and spend days doing research ,i think that
 comes out of your own pocket which is kinda shit if you cant afford decent legal represantation
One of the few great things about going though these types of experiences is some of the people you meet in your journey.  

I was introduced to an amazing former attorney here in Boulder that practiced law for over 50 years.  The storied he can tell!  Check out his blogs if you get a chance.

https://denniscomments.wordpress.com/

Anyway he told me all about public defenders.  Follow the money.  They do not work for you.  Here is an example of his writings on that specific subject:

Re: Poor Representation by a Public Defender

The difference between private and public attorneys is one of philosophy and advocacy. To be an advocate, one must not judge. However, PDs define their job as protecting rights rather than actually representing a person. They have little concept of attorney-client relationship nor of the obligation to be both an attorney and counselor. Since they are in a particular courtroom all the time, they have to "get along" and become part of the bureaucracy, processing cases rather than defending "clients". This situation is a political one, not a legal one. A grievance should not be filed against the PD, but against the Supreme Court and legislature for structuring such an unfair system. The result of commidification and marketing services, together with the concept of "specialization" has all but precluded citizen involvement in the court system.

The fault lies with the electorate and the lack of information or care of the public. The problem is with criminalization of poverty and social problems, relying upon threats, fear and incarceration instead of compassion and logic.

Source

The just-a-system is so broken to the core it may be beyond repair.  The plea bargaining process has destroyed the core concept "adversary".  My first law firm never even considered the idea of going to court - their job as they see it is to get you the best plea deal possible.  They assumed from the start that I was guilty and everything they did was based on that assumption. Civil asset forfeiture has destroyed the constitutional checks and balances.  I could go on for pages and Dennis does in his blogs, much more eloquently than I can.  I plan to read everything he has written there as I get time.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 01:54:30 PM

Good news, congratulations! I hope this is an example for other similar cases. Let's hope the governments stop treating normal people as criminals and that they simply leave us alone with Bitcoin.
CMMPro

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 03:56:39 PM

Congratulations Burt!

Now go after them for a few million for wrongful prosecution...you deserve justice.
They were particularly egregious in their prosecution of you and it was entirely without merit.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 04:20:40 PM

Are they returning the money and bitcoins they stole?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 15, 2015, 08:15:14 PM

I am glad to see you free and posting Smiley Good luck from now on!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: