Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 06:33:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitShares Loves Puppies  (Read 23161 times)
StanLarimer (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 01:39:13 AM

We just had a newbie drop by and talk about his first experiences with BitShares.
I figure, what the heck, there may be puppy-loving BitShares newbies around here too...

Hi, I'm also new. I'll share my experience thus far and maybe it can help.

First: Download the Bitshares wallet from the website to your local machine and set up your username and password. Then export you wallet file to your computer, and save it elsewhere. (Flash drive, email, cloud, etc.) Now that the "keys" (the backup file and your password) to your personal "vault" (desktop wallet) are secure, you then need to register the name with the blockchain and then fund your account. Go to http://faucet.bitshares.org to register you username. Once your username is registered with the blockchain, you can fund the account with Bitshares. But to do that, right now, you need to buy Bitcoin. In most cases, you'll buy a fraction of a single Bitcoin (In the beginning I assumed I needed to buy a whole coin, but this is unnecessary). 

Next:  The easiest way to get Bitcoin, for me (and in the same day and without much hassle) was to go to Localbitcoins.com and create an account (an online bitcoin wallet essentially). You can search for various methods of deposit, but I searched for a cash deposit option with a bank in my area. The details of the account and the transaction are understood when you use the site and find a seller. Essentially you deposit cash and verfiy it with a receipt and then the seller sends your equivalent amount in Bitcoin to your Localbitcoins.com online wallet. You now have Bitcoin and can exchange it for other altcoins. Almost there.

Finally: Localbitcoins.com is a good temporary wallet, but you'll want to download another Bitcoin wallet for more security (Bitcoin Core, Electrum, etc). But if speed is your main concern, then simply use your Localbitcoins.com wallet to hold your Bitcoins temporarily before exchanging them for Bitshares. This is where Shapeshift.io comes in, as it is the most convenient exchange service available right now, by far. Your personal Bitshares username or public key is the receiving address. Shapeshift.io even has a live chat function if you need some extra explanation.  By the time you're finished with the Shapeshift transaction (a few minutes), you should have Bitshares transferred to your local wallet. (sigh of relief)

As for what to do with your BTS once they are in your Bitshares wallet, this is becoming better explained with each new update. You can simply hold BTS or exchange them for BitUSD or some other asset. Or you can transfer BTS to another exchange, like BTER.com. But I suspect the wallet will become more intuitive and more user-friendly as time goes on. One note about the Memo field. Usually when you Transfer BTS to another wallet, the Memo field would be used to ensure the funds are attributed to the right account, and this information is usually provided by the receiving party.  They will offer a reference number or something for you to include in the Memo field. In the case of BTER.com for example, when you want to deposit BTS to an online BTER account, they will provide the Memo details.

Good luck!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 12:05:02 AM

I think you guys need to get rid of the puppies and go for some more exciting marketing. The puppies look dumb, I actually preferred the old thread with all the meme's of Stan and Bytemaster.

Maybe you could do themed marketing where you base a bunch of your new ideas in terms of the theme.

Remember, you want Crypto to be EXCITING!

Grab some smoke machines and some laser lights and your halfway there.
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 11:24:22 AM

AAACK!  We just took heavy air-to-air fire!

No worries.  This thread is for sophisticated and erudite puppy lovers.

(But I am pleased to note that there are now more than six BitShares related threads that regularly make the front page here.)

Something for everybody!

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 02:12:06 PM

(But I am pleased to note that there are now more than six BitShares related threads that regularly make the front page here.)

<A free bump>
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 08:47:39 PM

I feel the need for some kitten action, tbh.

This kind of sums up my day:

But, if anyone (like Crestington  Wink ) feels the need for some excitement, there will shortly be a chance to watch NXT zoom into the upper statosphere (or crash spectacularly into the New Mexico desert....)

NXT in Spaaace!

Thought Stan might like this, with the being a rocket scientist and all.
We're currently waiting on FAA permission for the launch, but it should be cleared pretty soon.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 02:04:49 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2015, 01:17:57 AM by StanLarimer

That is maximally cute (for a cat), I must admit.

But this illustrates the essential problem with cats:

There he is surrounded by chicks and doesn't seem at all happy!

Meanwhile, something that makes me happy is this AWESOME short video from Max Wright
(Author of BitShares 101 - available in Six Languages already).

Max summarizes everything the decentralized community accomplished in the past 50 days.

I especially liked his main point about the next big touchdown being how BitShares and Bitcoin maximally complement each other.

Good stuff!

Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 03:21:54 AM

AAACK!  We just took heavy air-to-air fire!

No worries.  This thread is for sophisticated and erudite puppy lovers.

Something for everybody!

I never said the ideas weren't good, I think highly of Bitshares. I was just saying that you should look for some more entertaining ways of presenting your ideas, like PBS meets FOX news.
Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 03:27:59 AM

I feel the need for some kitten action, tbh.

This kind of sums up my day:

But, if anyone (like Crestington  Wink ) feels the need for some excitement, there will shortly be a chance to watch NXT zoom into the upper statosphere (or crash spectacularly into the New Mexico desert....)

NXT in Spaaace!

Thought Stan might like this, with the being a rocket scientist and all.
We're currently waiting on FAA permission for the launch, but it should be cleared pretty soon.

Lol, NXT is literally going to the moon. NXT thing you know they are going to let you send transactions to their moonbase so you can buy lunar latte's.

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 04:10:43 AM

EvilDave

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 07:39:12 AM

Well, there will either be a whoooshhh, followed by some zoom, and a gentle glide back to Earth......or whoooshhh, followed by a large KABOOM !

Here´s an overview of the project so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Zz0cQjU_E&feature=youtu.be
http://www.theregister.co.uk/science/lohan/

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 01:51:24 PM

Wow, that is a really cool project!

Brings back many fond memories of times spent at remote test ranges.

(Testing remotes, of course.)

EvilDave

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 02:23:04 PM

Well, if you guys want some range time and a visit to Spaceport America, I might be able to find some space(s) on the guest list for the launch, when we finally get a date.

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 03:06:25 PM

My Jake as a puppy.  Jake loves Bitshares.

It has come to my attention that Jake may, in fact, be a Panda and therefore technically a "cub".
However, we have established that he likes BitShares and therefore is very smart.
This fact alone establishes that he is not a cat.
And that is what is most important.

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 03:07:14 PM

Well, if you guys want some range time and a visit to Spaceport America, I might be able to find some space(s) on the guest list for the launch, when we finally get a date.

I would be most interested!

HalFinneysBrain

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 06:36:49 PM

I heard a rumor that the reason Bitshares dropped a lot recently is that the developers had to sell a lot to pay taxes, is that true?  If so, does that mean its a good time to buy now or are they going to sell more?
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 09:03:31 PM

At this point, Invictus does not anticipate the need to sell any BitShares to meet its 2014 tax obligations.
I have no insight into the personal business of individual developers.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 09:07:16 PM

I heard a rumor that the reason Bitshares dropped a lot recently is that the developers had to sell a lot to pay taxes, is that true?  If so, does that mean its a good time to buy now or are they going to sell more?

Or you can be like Roger "the tax dodger" Ver.  In terms of taxation, a lot of countries ruled that PoW is self-income (and theoretically so are any rewards for maintaining any networks) and BitShares' delegate setup is likely subject to it too (it creates a pressing problem as the tax authorities will probably shake down Bitshares to reveal the identities of those 101 delegates).

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 09:13:30 PM

as the tax authorities will probably shake down Bitshares to reveal the identities of those 101 delegates

Can't the delegates send them this as the id?
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 10:20:21 PM

Or you can be like Roger "the tax dodger" Ver.  In terms of taxation, a lot of countries ruled that PoW is self-income (and theoretically so are any rewards for maintaining any networks) and BitShares' delegate setup is likely subject to it too (it creates a pressing problem as the tax authorities will probably shake down Bitshares to reveal the identities of those 101 delegates).

BitShares is a blockchain.
Blockchains ain't talkin' any more than Duke the Bush Beans Dog.

Crestington
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 11:37:55 PM

BitShares is a blockchain.
Blockchains ain't talkin' any more than Duke the Bush Beans Dog.

Looks like the Bush beans guy has no idea that his Dog just let out a chemical warfare attack on him.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: