Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 08:15:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitShares Loves Puppies  (Read 23162 times)
StanLarimer (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 02:07:18 AM

The alphabetical sorter seems to be broken:

BitUSD
BitCNY
BitGold
BitBTC
BitSilver

We can't trust the data...

Actually  "UCGBS" are the first five characters in a very long acronym designed to help people remember that BitShares has awesome market pegged assets for USD, CNY, GOLD, BTC, and SILVER that held their pegs impressively during the recent crypto recession.

We appreciate that coinmarketcap sorts them for everyone in this easy to remember and highly pronounceable format. 

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:24:25 AM

Actually  "UCGBS" are the first five characters in a very long acronym designed to help people remember that BitShares has awesome market pegged assets for USD, CNY, GOLD, BTC, and SILVER that held their pegs impressively during the recent crypto recession.

Tonight I got a revelation from Saint Bernard Puppy that it stands for United Church of God of BitShares...
scv00

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:29:36 PM

Tonight I got a revelation from Saint Bernard Puppy that it stands for United Church of God of BitShares...

It's not an easily memorable acronym and the limited vowels don't help make real words out of it. The only word I can think of is BUGS and I doubt you would be happy with an acronym containing that. Still, CBUGS is more memorable than UCGBS.
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 01:36:50 AM

BitShares is getting a whole new set of wallets - web wallet, lite wallet, full wallet, and a couple more "special" wallets.

One of the nice little upgrades is that we got rid of those ugly, cat-like robohashes!

Robohashes and identicons are visual "checksums" that help you spot when you've made a typo in an account name

Robohashes are a bit more distinctive, but they tended to uglify the first impression in the wallet IMHO.

So now we use kaleidoscope-like identicons, which are much more visually appealing.

To me, it's like the difference between day and night, good and evil, dogs and cats...

What do you think?
M28MmickT

Activity: 433
Merit: 250

BTG CEO

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:18:16 AM

Firstly first few pages them dogs were adorable if i am honest, but how does a bit share love dogs and not cats!?

Cats are mythical and mysterious and have been worshiped for hundreds of years, dogs are greedy and stinky and i love them also because i have 3 of them but where is the love for our cats. They need loving too,  I feel you should love all of god creatures.. Smiley

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:58:47 AM

(Don't tell the NXT guys but I have two cats too...  they like BitShares just as much as my dogs.)
jones_

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:13:32 AM

BitShares is getting a whole new set of wallets - web wallet, lite wallet, full wallet, and a couple more "special" wallets.

One of the nice little upgrades is that we got rid of those ugly, cat-like robohashes!

Robohashes and identicons are visual "checksums" that help you spot when you've made a typo in an account name

Robohashes are a bit more distinctive, but they tended to uglify the first impression in the wallet IMHO.

So now we use kaleidoscope-like identicons, which are much more visually appealing.

To me, it's like the difference between day and night, good and evil, dogs and cats...

What do you think?

These are sort of interesting, how many types are available and how are they generated?

There was talk of pointing an nxt alias with bitmapdata to an account, so the account could have a custom image associated with it, but I haven't implemented it yet. Linking an accountid to a picture can bring that human element into a normally computer-like string of random characters.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:20:13 AM

Happy thread!

How many Bitshares are needed to buy a puppy?

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:47:33 AM

You shouldn't buy a puppy with BitShares because puppies are priceless.

If you have a puppy, you inherently have good karma, and BitShares come to you!

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:53:42 AM

These are sort of interesting, how many types are available and how are they generated?

There was talk of pointing an nxt alias with bitmapdata to an account, so the account could have a custom image associated with it, but I haven't implemented it yet. Linking an accountid to a picture can bring that human element into a normally computer-like string of random characters.

There is open source software out there (e.g http://robohash.org/ or Identicons) where we got it or you can track it down through the BitShares GitHub library. 
jones_

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 04:38:31 AM

There is open source software out there (e.g http://robohash.org/ or Identicons) where we got it or you can track it down through the BitShares GitHub library. 

Ok so its just a generalized library, cool still. I'll need to look into my custom icon idea more, I like this.

As you could've guessed, I develop for nxt, but I still find other systems interesting.

While I'm here I've always wondered how things like bitUSD are able to give interest. Can't seem to find where that money is coming from.
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:55:58 PM

While I'm here I've always wondered how things like bitUSD are able to give interest. Can't seem to find where that money is coming from.

Just as in most of the world's traditional exchanges, you short an asset by borrowing it to sell now with the hope of buying it back cheaper later to pay off your loan (thereby taking the savings as a profit).

So a bitUSD is just a tradable collateralized loan that represents lending of a dollar's worth of BitShares now in exchange for a blockchain enforced promise to pay back a dollar's worth of BitShares later (with interest).  The borrower puts up three times as many BitShares as she borrowed as collateral under blockchain control to make sure that there will be a full dollar's worth of BitShares available to pay off the loan  if the price of BitShares should fall.

So, the interest comes from the person who did the borrowing (shorting) and is paid to the person who did the lending. 

One fine point:  all interest is paid into a blockchain managed pool from which all interest is paid.  So the lender gets a moving average of the interest all borrowers have paid.

What makes this better than doing the same thing on a centralized exchange is that there is no counterparty risk.  The blockchain holds the collateral and will automatically pay the agreed amount to the two parties - like a robotically trustworthy third party escrow agent.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:44:09 PM

The blockchain holds the collateral and will automatically pay the agreed amount to the two parties - like a robotically trustworthy third party escrow agent.

How does the blockchain know the price?
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:55:35 PM

Elected delegates publish price feeds and the block chain picks the median value.
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 03:57:55 PM
Last edit: February 28, 2015, 04:09:43 PM by StanLarimer

Max Wright's #1 best-selling book is now available in video form.

BitShares 101 the Movie

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 04:01:23 PM

Elected delegates publish price feeds and the block chain picks the median value.

Median value as sum of values divided by number of values?
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 04:05:41 PM

Median value as sum of values divided by number of values?

No, that would be called the "mean".

"Median" cannot be affected by willful outliers since it is guarded by all the other feeds on both sides.
ThomasVeil

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 09:54:45 PM

So that means BitShares-people kill puppies when they're about to become adult!
I knew it all along!!!

Please don't do the face thing. You can see from the robots example why that is a bad idea.
The pattern is much better.
....though somehow I see near-swastikas in each of them above. Guess it confirms my earlier suspicion Cheesy
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 10:24:34 PM

....though somehow I see near-swastikas in each of them above. Guess it confirms my earlier suspicion Cheesy

I see shurikens.
jones_

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 07:23:33 AM

So that means BitShares-people kill puppies when they're about to become adult!
I knew it all along!!!

Please don't do the face thing. You can see from the robots example why that is a bad idea.
The pattern is much better.

just a user-defined 16x16 pixel image, I could dynamically generate them for accounts and assets too, that might be cool.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: