Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:23:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitShares Loves Puppies  (Read 23161 times)
StanLarimer (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:00:59 AM

Hey guys!  There is no better way to find out what's going on in BitShares than to check out the March Newsletter.

29 pages and 0 pics of puppies. This is bad. Very very bad.

To restore balance to the force I include a picture of 101 BitShares puppies.
You can only make out one of them from this extreme range because the rest are decentralized.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:13:05 AM

Oh, and by the way, BitShares stakeholders have finally sorted out how they are going to handle release of public statements in a way that seemed to satisfy most folks.

Bottom line, our self-imposed muzzle is off!  Read all about it in our March Newsletter.

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:35:13 AM

Another great source of info on BitShares
Google's BitShares Community

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:41:35 AM

Hey guys!  There is no better way to find out what's going on in BitShares than to check out the March Newsletter.

This newsletter is unique because it is written by the delegates themselves (developers, marketeers, and service providers). 
Each of these small businesses reports on what it is doing with their funding - which gives you an overview of the whole ecosystem.
I was amazed at the scope of projects that are now going on, with more appearing almost weekly.

(Bytemaster and I have to read the newsletter ourselves these days to find out everything that is happening.)

So our goal of a completely decentralized ecosystem is becoming more of a reality every day!

Smiley

As a noob, I found that outstanding! It was a beautiful collection of summarized information that gave me an idea of what is happening in this ecosystem. In the past few weeks I've gone from "WTF is Bitshares" to "Wow, look at everything that is happening in the Bitshares world". Thanks to Bitscape & Roadscape for introducing me to this!
Rock on!
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 01:19:46 AM

I just added this to the info section - second post at the top of this thread...

Media Point of Contact!

Max Wright, the author of Bitshares101 and the host on BitShares.tv,
has agreed to be a contact person for media contact/inquiries.
You could forward his contact info to them:

max@bitshares.org

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 03:06:07 PM

One question: essentially, the issuers of a Bitshares asset short it on 200% margin; I got that part. But, are the lifetimes of the assets limited? Are they automatically redeemed in BTS after X days, or is their lifetime forever?

This question popped up in my head as I was having a not-so-pleasant dream about issuing a hypothetical asset tied to the S&P 500 - call it BTS500 - and essentially "selling America short." This would not lead to a Black Swan event, but it would lead to someone sitting on a growing responsibility for more margin over time. How would that work for an issuer? Can he or she add more margin as time goes on, as you can for a regular stock-market account?  

Oh, right:

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 05:32:53 PM

One question: essentially, the issuers of a Bitshares asset short it on 200% margin; I got that part. But, are the lifetimes of the assets limited? Are they automatically redeemed in BTS after X days, or is their lifetime forever?

This question popped up in my head as I was having a not-so-pleasant dream about issuing a hypothetical asset tied to the S&P 500 - call it BTS500 - and essentially "selling America short." This would not lead to a Black Swan event, but it would lead to someone sitting on a growing responsibility for more margin over time. How would that work for an issuer? Can he or she add more margin as time goes on, as you can for a regular stock-market account?  

For posting a puppy picture you automatically qualify for one free deluxe question!

BitShares does auto margin calls under 2 conditions:
1.  If the value of the BTS collateral falls from 3x down to 2x.
2.  At the end of thirty days.

You can avoid this by adding more margin or reset back to 3x and 30 days by closing out one position and reentering a new one.

This does not affect the holders of the BitAsset, who can hold them forever if they choose.

HalFinneysBrain

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 06:23:56 PM

If you buy a bitAsset you can hold onto it forever if you want.

If you create a bitAsset (by 'shorting' it into existence, and providing some of your BTS as collateral), then you are forced to buy back that bitAsset within 30 days, OR if your collateral gets too low.

What is the point of this? 
It gives every bitAsset holder a guarantee that within a 30 day period, someone is going to need to buy the asset back, which means that you are able to sell your asset if you want.

One option for the 'short' to cover their position is to 'buy it from yourself', by shorting a new version of the bitAsset and selling it to yourself to cover your old asset.  This is kindof like rolling over a futures contract for a commodity, into the next period.  When you do this, you have to put in an order at the feed price (the 'fair price' of the asset).  This means that anyone else out there could offer a better price than this, and then you would have to sell to them instead. 

Usually, there is a small spread of bitassets.  For example, people are willing to sell a bitUSD for $1.005, or buy it for $.995 (worth of BTS) or something like that.  If someone puts in an order saying "I am willing to sell for $.999", which is below the feed price of $1, then within that 30 day period, when the shot needs to cover, they have to buy from that person first, before they can short a new asset to themself. 

If no one is willing to sell for a better price than the feed, then the short is free to roll over their position for a new 30 days.

This system ensures:
* Some buying power will exist every 30 days, for all of the bitAssets in existence.  This guarantees you can get out at a fair price by waiting a max of 30 days.
* The creator of the bitAsset (who shorted it) doesnt get screwed over when they have to cover their short.  If no one is willing to sell to them at a fair price, they can sell to themself.
HalFinneysBrain

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 06:27:15 PM

If the S&P was going up relative to BTS, then the issuer of the asset would be losing money over time (which you would expect, they have shorted it!).  This means they would lose BTS.  When they were forced to cover their position after 30 days, they would not be able to reshort as much BTS500 next time.  If they have some extra BTS laying around, they are free to remain in the short position as long as they can afford to, by adding more collateral.

If the S&P went down relative to BTS, they would make money.  When they covered they would end up with more BTS than they started.
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 01:18:15 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2015, 11:43:34 PM by StanLarimer

Someone asked why they should own bitAssets instead of the real assets they are pegged to.

Fair question.

I like being able to go back and forth between a wide variety of assets as they cycle against each other in the market.
I can switch between exposure to BTS, BTC, Gold, Silver, CNY, EUR, and USD for about a penny in ten seconds as often as I like.
I can also create my own basket of currencies and adjust the mix as often as I like for pennies.
And I never encounter the delays, costs and risks of passing through fiat space.

Where else can you do that?

100% of all literate dogs and cats polled considered that answer to be conclusive.
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2015, 02:07:13 AM

One of the things about BitShares that most excites me is how many other businesses, world-wide, are starting to develop products and services for it.

Here's a one minute proposal to the decentralized BitShares community for Bitsapphier's new Moonstone wallet - just to show you what I mean!

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 02:38:47 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2015, 02:51:40 AM by StanLarimer

These videos are so on point, I showed a derivatives expert the "What is the BitShares Decentralized Exchange" and "How do bitAssets like bitUSD work?" videos and he was amazed. Thank you Max.  When it's time - I can't wait to see these get marketed.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 07:50:41 AM

Derivatives is for girls. Derivatives of derivatives - this is what real men play with.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 05:54:01 PM

Our main web site is bitshares.org, but...

here is another site chock full of BitShares news:  
http://bitsharesblog.com/beyond-bitcoin-show-talks-with-bytemaster-about-bitshares-development/

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 03:24:52 PM

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 04:37:48 PM

We are having a community challenge to come up with the best "elevator speech" to explain "Why BitShares?" to someone in the time it takes to go on an elevator ride with them.

I kinda liked this one:

Re: Strengthening other people's understanding of why BitShares exists

We at BitShares (ok, me in particular) believe that Wall Street is broken. Banks are no longer paying us appropriately and what's worse we are now being forced to pay them. This has got to change through technology as the "Market Makers" have proven that the system is currently rewarding corruption. A DE-centralized Exchange such as BitShares(.org) is proving that decentralization removes the ability to cheat and rewards the savers and investors instead of penalizing them.

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2015, 06:06:48 PM

We are having a community challenge to come up with the best "elevator speech" to explain "Why BitShares?" to someone in the time it takes to go on an elevator ride with them.

I kinda liked this one:

Re: Strengthening other people's understanding of why BitShares exists

We at BitShares (ok, me in particular) believe that Wall Street is broken. Banks are no longer paying us appropriately and what's worse we are now being forced to pay them. This has got to change through technology as the "Market Makers" have proven that the system is currently rewarding corruption. A DE-centralized Exchange such as BitShares(.org) is proving that decentralization removes the ability to cheat and rewards the savers and investors instead of penalizing them.

Yeah...it's a little more down-to-earth than "Bitshares helps created a decentralized peer-to-peer financial network for the future!"

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 02:47:24 AM

A Canadian company joins the BitShares ecosystem - ISG3D does 3D printing!

http://isg3d.com/products/3d-printed-bts-bitshares-bar

Here's a whole thread with pictures about how they do it and all the cool stuff they can do:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=15051.msg194938#msg194938

Given that they can do Vladimir Putin, I'm sure they can do cats. 
Puppies, being much higher order beings, may take them a little longer...

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 11:29:15 PM

StanLarimer (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 11:39:15 PM

NullStreet's new BitShares TriFold Brochure...

Download here...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hxqfske51hxu8c/Bitshare%20TriFold%20Print%20Handout.zip?dl=0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: