Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:03:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Erik Voorhees favors NXT  (Read 10024 times)
stenkross

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 12:46:21 PM

How is Nxt able to fit so much data in the blockchain?

Bitcoin struggles just to hold transactions, but messages and market listings is another story altogether.
Well, one thing is that bitcoin has ~65M transactions while NXT has ~1.2M transactions.
Sources: https://blockchain.info/sv/charts/n-transactions-total & http://www.mynxt.info/blockexplorer/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ThomasVeil

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 04:48:45 PM

Bitcoin struggles just to hold transactions, but messages and market listings is another story altogether.

There will be pruning at some point. That means that data will be removed from the blockchain after a certain period (i.e. one year). It's already being worked on - though I've read some disagreements between devs whether it will be possible on the NXT chain. Not an easy task, but necessary in the long run.

Another point is of course the fee - if the fee is high enough, it will prevent extensive file storage. The fee in the current test-version was probably too low.
Also: In future versions the fee will be dynamic - calculated by bytes added to the chain (for everything, also transactions and such).

Just an idea (no clue if that's the plan), but I can imagine that the fee could determine also the duration of storage. Since a webshop possibly could be happy to store an image just for a week, while some important documents (like a testament) might have to be stored for decades.
ChuckOne

Activity: 364

☕ NXT-4BTE-8Y4K-CDS2-6TB82

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 06:00:13 PM

Like it or not, NXT has a very strong community backing it up

If it were true, why would you be making this statement? 

Because it's true, and the obvious has to be stated sometimes for the more dense among us.

NXT is an interesting experiment and I salute the experimenters.  The question in my mind is: what incentive is there for stakers to secure the network?  It seems the coinbase rewards are nil.  So, it is a combination of altruism and simply the desire to keep the network alive to maintain the value of holdings.  Is this enough?  We will find out. 

Nxt represents a mature Bitcoin network where the mining reward equals total fees of a block's transactions.

So, Nxt will offer a glimpse into the future of whether Bitcoin would be able to sustain itself or not.
box0211

Activity: 165
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 11:01:40 PM

There will be pruning at some point. That means that data will be removed from the blockchain after a certain period (i.e. one year). It's already being worked on - though I've read some disagreements between devs whether it will be possible on the NXT chain. Not an easy task, but necessary in the long run.

Another point is of course the fee - if the fee is high enough, it will prevent extensive file storage. The fee in the current test-version was probably too low.
Also: In future versions the fee will be dynamic - calculated by bytes added to the chain (for everything, also transactions and such).

Just an idea (no clue if that's the plan), but I can imagine that the fee could determine also the duration of storage. Since a webshop possibly could be happy to store an image just for a week, while some important documents (like a testament) might have to be stored for decades.

Seems like Captain Jean-Luc .. just implemented blockchain size pruning for upcoming 1.5.1e testnet:

https://nxtforum.org/general-discussion/nice-1-5e-testing-i-just-decentralized-satoshi's-whitepaper-on-blockchain/msg173210/#msg173210
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 03, 2015, 01:07:16 PM

It's official lol  Cheesy

box0214

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 01:26:08 AM

is erik voorhees that much of a market mover?
Daedelus

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 07:32:42 AM

Who knows. But he is one of the few (only?) early BTC guys that will openly say positive things about alts
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 08:28:55 AM

Who knows. But he is one of the few (only?) early BTC guys that will openly say positive things about alts

This is an odd statement considering most alt devs were early BTC guys.So you really have at least 500 early BTC guys who are more than just positive about alts and add to that all the early investors as well. In fact I find it more of a rarity that any early BTC guy is only interested in BTC.

Daedelus

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 08:52:10 AM

Ok. I'll let Garzik and bitcoindesk know  Cheesy

Replace 'early' with 'high profile' perhaps, if it more pleasing.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:00:45 AM

All the other alt developers aren't "high profile"? Every single one of them has their own cult following. Your attempts to play victim has created a delusional reality.

Daedelus

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 09:02:07 AM

All the other alt developers aren't "high profile"? Every single one of them has their own cult following. Your attempts to play victim has created a delusional reality.

Thank you for your competent opinion.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:13:27 AM

If he wants to be, yeah. He was an early adopter of Bitcoin and was involved with some of the earliest Bitcoin businesses like Bitinstant.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
May 04, 2015, 10:32:35 AM

If he wants to be, yeah. He was an early adopter of Bitcoin and was involved with some of the earliest Bitcoin businesses like Bitinstant.

He also has great interest in promoting alts as their development and interest allow him to gain more bitcoins with every transaction that flows through shapeshift.io. I believe he is geniune in his statement that he prefers NxT over other alts, but obviously he isn't that excited about NxT as he repeatedly fails to mention it and isn't up to date on all the news.

You must understand his statement in this context.

box0214

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 04:36:27 AM

Conapult for nxt would be quite interesting.... Lock the value of nxt to btc or USD.
ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 02:37:21 PM

Is he still alive?
box0214

View Profile
November 04, 2015, 09:08:37 PM

i think he went to jail or something for not paying his taxes.
ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 05:01:53 PM

Is he? such bad luck for NXT! Most promising coin ever going down for stupid unfortunate issues....
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 11:11:24 PM

Er...I don't think Erik V. is in jail, somehow. Or else he's in such a Club Fed they let him out for conferences  Grin

https://shapeshift.io/site/blog

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
nzminer
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:28:18 AM

NXT WILL PREVAIL

NEM, THE SECURE, SCALABLE BLOCKCHAIN [NEM.IO] [T.ME/NEMRED]